PDA

View Full Version : A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY - Round 14

bornadog
02-07-2013, 11:31 PM
2 July 2013

If you watch the last two and a half minutes of the game on Saturday night, it was clear the game could still have been won. We were very close to kicking another goal and they were probably not going to kick one. Yet we did so many things for so long on the night, that were against what we want to be as a footy team. And I know a lot of people talk about kicks that go out on the full, kicks that get turned over — every team has that. Melbourne had it as well. It was our inability to put defensive pressure on at times in the game where we weren’t having a great patch, and that is an area of improvement for our players.

Our young players have the unique opportunity to build a career together and play together for a long time. And those youngsters will only ever become the best player they can be when they fit the team. And what does fitting the team look like? Fitting the team looks like whatever their position is on the ground, they do what that position requires and then out of that, execute their natural ability to play.

We saw that in the last quarter on Saturday night where things happened, and they happened because every time there was a stoppage we set it up well, we got out of each other’s way in the forward line and our mids and defenders gave their opponents no room — so we ended up playing some pretty good footy.

This game is still about the basics and fundamentals. It’s one thing to talk about the basics and fundamentals but it’s another thing to do them when the scoreboard is not what you want. Most people can do them when they have momentum.

We are disappointed with the performance on the weekend. The only way players can mature through results like this, is to have strong people around them in the footy department that help them learn from it; learn from the experience and not hang them out to dry but actually coach them through it — and that’s why a resilient, clear, coherent footy department is crucial — we won’t accept average effort and we will continue to face daily the brutal reality of where we have to get better. And we will do this together, as one.

We are very clear about the type of players we want here and just as importantly the type of people we want here. The smart clubs don’t fall in love with talent and just forget about the character. They fall in love with people with solid character traits, who also have a lot of talent and are team people. And that is our responsibility. Internally, we have seen some good young people take some formative steps in challenging situations, and they are the people that are worth investing in — because AFL footy is not for everyone, it’s a tough business.

See you at the game.

Brendan

LostDoggy
02-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Wow. Footy's a tough business and not for everyone!

I wonder who he has in mind when he says this, and whether they already have a strong idea who they will move on / trade.

GVGjr
02-07-2013, 11:44 PM

I wonder who he has in mind when he says this, and whether they already have a strong idea who they will move on / trade.

Look at the outs for this week less the genuinely injured players.

Scorlibo
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM

At a guess: Grant, Vezspremi, Pearce, Tutt and Howard.

While I'm in favour of drafting and developing good characters at the club, I also think the senior coach needs to be able to interpret a variety of characters and get the most out of all of them. It's looking increasingly likely that Macca can't do this.

Scraggers
03-07-2013, 12:09 AM

While I'm in favour of drafting and developing good characters at the club, I also think the senior coach needs to be able to interpret a variety of characters and get the most out of all of them. It's looking increasingly likely that Macca can't do this.

I think you can add Cross to that list

AndrewP6
03-07-2013, 12:15 AM

Surely not for the "Footy's a tough business" bit... Crossy's as tough as they come.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 01:03 AM
At this point i couldn't give a rats about the character of a player, if they are quick and have some sort of skill and polish, i want them.

Sedat
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Bit of a dissppointing throwaway line from somebody who has forged his reputation on being a great teacher. Not all students are dux of the class material but you would expect a noted teacher to take on the challenge with all manner of student types. Tossing the challenging ones into the dumpster is quite a defeatist attitude.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 08:54 AM

I'd be disappointed if they didnt have a 90% idea of who fits into those categories at this stage.

westdog54
03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
Bit of a dissppointing throwaway line from somebody who has forged his reputation on being a great teacher. Not all students are dux of the class material but you would expect a noted teacher to take on the challenge with all manner of student types. Tossing the challenging ones into the dumpster is quite a defeatist attitude.

Can't say I 100% agree. While in theory its a valid point, at the end of the day it is an adult learning environment and there is only so much time and resources you can invest into one person until it gets to a stage where the required competencies are not negotiable.

ReLoad
03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
What a load of doohickey. So lets say a player like a very young Jason akermanis comes along, he's a wildcard and a maverick and does a lot of non team related stuff. But he is also a bloody magician on the field a bloke who wins games of his own hands. What then?

Footy needs individuals, sure they need to act as a team, but its also about incorporating differences, its not about 22 robots.

Mantis
03-07-2013, 09:21 AM

How did they go on Saturday night?

jeemak
03-07-2013, 09:42 AM

Precisely.

I think we all know that some of the players on our list are cooked, but surely after 3/4 of a team not following instructions more than a few players that played in the two's will be held accountable this week?

bornadog
03-07-2013, 09:51 AM
Footy needs individuals, sure they need to act as a team, but its also about incorporating differences, its not about 22 robots.

The AFL wants 22 robots in each team. There are not many characters of the game left anymore. The closest is Jack Riewoldt at Richmond which is mild by comparison to pass guys.

whythelongface
03-07-2013, 10:18 AM
The AFL wants 22 robots in each team. There are not many characters of the game left anymore. The closest is Jack Riewoldt at Richmond which is mild by comparison to pass guys.

Unfortunately times have changed and it is now a truly professional sport with 24/ 7 media attention. It is a tough environment as players are now required to conform strictly to a code of conduct otherwise they will find themselves no longer employed and possibly no longer employable (by other clubs) because of their indiscretions.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
He could have saved time by doing the following :

A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY - Round 14

2 July 2013

We were crap.

See you at the game.

Brendan

bornadog
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
He could have saved time by doing the following :

A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY - Round 14

2 July 2013

We were crap.

See you at the game.

Brendan

But then he wouldn't be putting in the hard yards to complete his weekly message, something he expects the players to do on the field.:D

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 11:17 AM
At this point i couldn't give a rats about the character of a player, if they are quick and have some sort of skill and polish, i want them.

They'll look fantastic all year. Strong goals, classy skills, pack-busting and gut-running with fans in rapture.

Then they'll fall over in the finals. A la Doggies 2008-2010. How often did we, on this very forum, bemoan our perceived lack of mental fortitude during those years?

A champion team >>>> a team of champions.

I really interpreted that message as one to a number of players who BMac perceives as diminishing returns. To quote Kenny: You gotta know when to hold em, and know when to fold em.

He also mentions some young players who aren't performing any better but are putting in the work required as a comparison to those he is referencing with that statement.

Unfortunately times have changed and it is now a truly professional sport with 24/ 7 media attention. It is a tough environment as players are now required to conform strictly to a code of conduct otherwise they will find themselves no longer employed and possibly no longer employable (by other clubs) because of their indiscretions.

Yep. Dayle Garlett.

Scorlibo
03-07-2013, 12:24 PM

I didn't read it that way.

They'll look fantastic all year. Strong goals, classy skills, pack-busting and gut-running with fans in rapture.

Then they'll fall over in the finals. A la Doggies 2008-2010. How often did we, on this very forum, bemoan our perceived lack of mental fortitude during those years?

I don't recall us performing so badly in finals, we won every game we were favourites to win, lost every game we weren't. 2009 was our year and Nick Riewoldt in combination with the men in yellow robbed us of the prelim. No one could question our mental fortitude in that game. Even the previous year against Geelong we got closer than we were entitled to get to a Granny.

Maddog37
03-07-2013, 01:20 PM
Internally, we have seen some good young people take some formative steps in challenging situations, and they are the people that are worth investing in — because AFL footy is not for everyone, it’s a tough business.

This reads to me that there are some people that will not or cannot follow instruction and they will be gone before they know it. I think the culling of players will be one of the harsher lessons Macca will have to master as a senior coach. He needs to get the balance between mentor and disciplinarian correct and I am not sure he has that yet. He is learning on the job.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 01:22 PM

Exactly, which = members, which = money!

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Blah, blah, blah.

Whilst I am pleased the coach provides a wekly summary, I'm afraid the content is basically the same every week and doesnt really contain anything substancial at all. The same old mixed metaphores and rhetoric that normally includes references to "working as a team", "cracking in", "doing the right things for longer", "putting on defensive pressure", teaching quality young men", "helping them to become better people" ....... etc etc etc.

How about telling us why we didnt move the ball forward with some outside dash, why we didnt apply scoreboard pressure, why the game plan has a single focus only, why players like Grant, Tutt, Howard and Vezpremi are struggling, what he plans to do as a football teacher to help them, why was it that we started scoring when Cooney went from defender to forward. This type of reporting would be far more informative and relate to what the suppporters are screaming out for ...... simply look at the posts on WOOF Brendan.

I notice he also included a defensive reference to turnovers through poor kicking "which a lot of our people talk about". Maybe the message is getting through that supporters are becoming increasingly frustrated that our Captain has a poor record of turning the ball over and nothing seems to change. But why not actually mention the reasons this is happening Brendan. Whilst you say this happens to all teams, I think you will find that the Captain isnt the prime culprit in those clubs.

I certainly appreciate that he takes the time to communicate with memebers, but I think supporters would like to be rewarded with "adult speak" instead of being treated like pot plants.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 03:02 PM

Apart from likely to be moved on, in what way does he not fit in with Brendan McCartney's mantras?

bulldogtragic
03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Blah, blah, blah.

Whilst I am pleased the coach provides a wekly summary, I'm afraid the content is basically the same every week and doesnt really contain anything substancial at all. The same old mixed metaphores and rhetoric that normally includes references to "working as a team", "cracking in", "doing the right things for longer", "putting on defensive pressure", teaching quality young men", "helping them to become better people" ....... etc etc etc.

How about telling us why we didnt move the ball forward with some outside dash, why we didnt apply scoreboard pressure, why the game plan has a single focus only, why players like Grant, Tutt, Howard and Vezpremi are struggling, what he plans to do as a football teacher to help them, why was it that we started scoring when Cooney went from defender to forward. This type of reporting would be far more informative and relate to what the suppporters are screaming out for ...... simply look at the posts on WOOF Brendan.

I notice he also included a defensive reference to turnovers through poor kicking "which a lot of our people talk about". Maybe the message is getting through that supporters are becoming increasingly frustrated that our Captain has a poor record of turning the ball over and nothing seems to change. But why not actually mention the reasons this is happening Brendan. Whilst you say this happens to all teams, I think you will find that the Captain isnt the prime culprit in those clubs.

I certainly appreciate that he takes the time to communicate with memebers, but I think supporters would like to be rewarded with "adult speak" instead of being treated like pot plants.
I'll support you 100% Peter. I said this a few weeks ago and got put in my place. But I stand by it, these media pieces are worthless.

AndrewP6
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Blah, blah, blah.

I'll support you 100% Peter. I said this a few weeks ago and got put in my place. But I stand by it, these media pieces are worthless.

I agree really. Obviously they're not going to release inside info to the masses, but apart from perhaps being good PR, I don't find much in them to be of great significance.

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 05:07 PM
I agree really. Obviously they're not going to release inside info to the masses, but apart from perhaps being good PR, I don't find much in them to be of great significance.

What do I get out of them?

When we win, the message is much the same. And I don't mind that.

I realise I'm amongst the most optimistic on WOOF at the moment, I don't think it's blind positivity — maybe it is — but I always read his “Message” every week, even though I know what he's going to say. I guess if the message changed, that would only say to me that he'd given up on his vision.

always right
03-07-2013, 05:10 PM

I'm staggered by your response Andrew. Just never saw it coming:)

FrediKanoute
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM

There is that point of view and then there is the point of view that a great teacher takes those who genuinely want to learn to greater heights. It cuts both ways.

Personally I think that Macca's comments apply to guys who played against the Dee's. The hints coming out are that some players just didn't do what the team required. Will be interested who they are.