PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations Will Minson 150 Games

bornadog
03-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Recruited from Norwood in 2004 and a rising star nominee in 2005, Will has been a loyal Bulldog man and much loved by fans.

Will had the highest amount of hitouts in the AFL in 2012 and has gone up a notch this year with his improved around the ground work. Should be AA by seasons end.

Height 199 cm

DOB 11-04-1985

Weight 108 kg

Debut 2004

Games 149

Goals - Career 69

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/292753-tlsnewsportrait_zps89f36fc7.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/292753-tlsnewsportrait_zps89f36fc7.jpg.html)

Will finds way to aid mids (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-07-03/will-finds-way-to-aid-mids)

One the eve of Will Minson’s 150th career game, Senior Coach Brendan McCartney says the 28-year-old has not only taken his game to the next level but has greatly influenced the improvement in those around him.

The league’s dominant tap ruckman boasts 38 more hitouts than any other player in the competition this season and has emerged a key player in the Dogs’ ability to win clearances this season.

McCartney, however, said Minson’s growth has had an even greater impact on the rise of his fellow teammates, in particular Ryan Griffen and Tom Liberatore.

“He’s steadily built through last year and he’s had a fantastic year this year,” McCartney said.

“The challenge for us is to get a bit more benefit from his great work and that is happening little bit by little bit.

“You can see some really good, young midfielders developing underneath him, there’s no doubt that a big part of Ryan’s great season has been due to Will.”

While Griffen has established his name in the top tier of midfielders this season, third year recruit Liberatore has become the competition’s leading clearance winner – helped in part by Minson’s authority in the ruck.

The impact of Minson’s dominance in and around the stoppages is further emphasised by the Club ranked third in clearances and first in centre clearances this year – in comparison to ninth in 2011 and 2012.

“It’s probably more advanced, our stoppage and our clearance work than other areas of our game and a lot of that is due to Will,” he said.

“His best games this year have been played when he’s done the basics of the game really well and that is when he plays his best footy.”

Minson is poised to line up for his 150th senior game against the GWS Giants on Saturday in career best form, averaging more than 41 hitouts and four clearances per game.

SlimPickens
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Hope we haven't gone too early this week :).

Well done Big Will, it's great watching him realise his potential!!!

1eyedog
03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Shows that the age of big lumbering ruckman is not over. He's a throw back to the ruckmen of old and it's a credit to him that he has been able to make so many contests and impact on them so effectively.

Who says you should only draft aethletic rucken Loinchop Lyon?

Well done Will you've gone from a ruckman at the crossroads to our second most (some would say most) influential player.

The Bulldogs Bite
03-07-2013, 04:23 PM
It feels like he's played a lot more than 150 games, but congratulations to the big guy. How often do we see ruckmen only hit their peak at around 26? It's remarkable, there's been quite a few who were labeled 'spuds' but later blossomed into great footballers. Minson is no different.

SonofScray
03-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Excuse the clichés:

He is a credit to himself. Made of the right stuff. A natural leader.

Congratulations to a bloke who is head and shoulders above the majority of the list in effort, leadership and endurance. He has done a mountain of work this season, worked through plenty of adversity and competition for spots over his career and not once, ever baulked at the responsibility of playing the game in our Club's interests.

IMO, he should be our current Captain (made the call mid last year.) My favourite player by a long stretch, he has Libba like qualities with respect to his doggedness and sense of sacrifice. Long may his form continue and others develop off the back of his example.

always right
03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Congrats to the big fella....not only for the way he plays but also for the way he conducts himself off-field. He has a real way with people and is always happy to have a chat with the tragics like myself.

One of the things I love about Will is the reaction he has ellicited from most of our supporters throughout his career. While fans bag the shyte out of Higgins for a lacklustre effort or Boyd for turning the ball over, any mistakes by Will are quickly dismissed with the same old response...."Ohhh Will"....accompanied by a good natured chuckle. He's always been a great character....now he's also a great player for our club.

craigsahibee
03-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Congrats to the big fella....not only for the way he plays but also for the way he conducts himself off-field. He has a real way with people and is always happy to have a chat with the tragics like myself.

One of the things I love about Will is the reaction he has ellicited from most of our supporters throughout his career. While fans bag the shyte out of Higgins for a lacklustre effort or Boyd for turning the ball over, any mistakes by Will are quickly dismissed with the same old response...."Ohhh Will"....accompanied by a good natured chuckle. He's always been a great character....now he's also a great player for our club.

Well said AR.

Will pulled me aside one day at our intra club match a couple of years ago to point out my BHBAS t-shirt to a mate he was talking too, then continued to engage me in conversation for longer than he had too. Me thinks he was hankering for a T-Shirt of his own.

I have always respected Will. Ever since his first involvement at AFL level when he put Barnaby French in hospital at his first ever ruck contest. Always loved his aggression and his preparedness for the grunt work.

Well done Will. Lets hope 250 is achievable.

G-Mo77
03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
It's still hard to believe he's been with us for nearly 10 years.

I wouldn't be alone in thinking during his career he wouldn't make it as our #1 ruckman. We've had our chance to move him on as well and at the time a lot of us were on board, fortunately for us and the club another club chose an overrated washup. I'm glad he decided to stay loyal with us, I've always been a fan and supported Will even through the trying times. I'm glad you're a Bulldog!

bornadog
03-07-2013, 05:49 PM
It's still hard to believe he's been with us for nearly 10 years.

I wouldn't be alone in thinking during his career he wouldn't make it as our #1 ruckman. We've had our chance to move him on as well and at the time a lot of us were on board, fortunately for us and the club another club chose an overrated washup. I'm glad he decided to stay loyal with us, I've always been a fan and supported Will even through the trying times. I'm glad you're a Bulldog!

He is loyal, pity fans aren't when they want to trade him out. Yes a few at woof haven't rated the big guy but he has proved them all wrong.

Love his work, always have.

Eastdog
03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Well done Will. He has been great in the ruck for us this season. He has become better ever since becoming #1 ruck as before then he was behind Hudson who was very good for us as well.

G-Mo77
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
He is loyal, pity fans aren't when they want to trade him out. Yes a few at woof haven't rated the big guy but he has proved them all wrong.

Probably not the topic to discuss but there was an argument for trading him last year and there was an argument for trading him a few years ago which I was referring to in my post.

Will's completely destroyed those arguments this year. :D

Eastdog
03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Probably not the topic to discuss but there was an argument for trading him last year and there was an argument for trading him a few years ago which I was referring to in my post.

Will's completely destroyed those arguments this year. :D

He was ok last season

Maddog37
03-07-2013, 06:01 PM

He is just a good honest footballer BAD. Great bloke, excellent clubman but he is no Simon Madden.

G-Mo77
03-07-2013, 06:02 PM
He was ok last season

Didn't say he wasn't.

Eastdog
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Didn't say he wasn't.

His certainly now has become an important player for us.

always right
03-07-2013, 06:16 PM
He is just a good honest footballer BAD. Great bloke, excellent clubman but he is no Simon Madden.

I agree if you look at his overall game. When you break it down, he is a below-average overhead mark, a part-time forward at best, and he doesn't gather enough posessions. On the plus side however, he is an excellent tap ruckman who makes other players around him better...and he is an under-rated kick who rarely misses a target. Sure he's no Simon Madden (not many are) but he's a hell of a lot better than Justin Madden.

Maddog37
03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
I agree if you look at his overall game. When you break it down, he is a below-average overhead mark, a part-time forward at best, and he doesn't gather enough posessions. On the plus side however, he is an excellent tap ruckman who makes other players around him better...and he is an under-rated kick who rarely misses a target. Sure he's no Simon Madden (not many are) but he's a hell of a lot better than Justin Madden.

Hopefully if he can play for a few more years and have a 200 plus game career so he can be in the top percentage of those to play the game. I also think he is still improving. I was just having a dig at BAD for criticizing those that did not fall at the feet of Minno and dared suggest we entertain the of thought trading him:o

bulldogtragic
03-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Hopefully if he can play for a few more years and have a 200 plus game career so he can be in the top percentage of those to play the game. I also think he is still improving. I was just having a dig at BAD for criticizing those that did not fall at the feet of Minno and dared suggest we entertain the of thought trading him:o
I wasn't going to bite, but since you did first :)

No one wants Wilbur out, it's not like he's run his race and we want whatever we can get. It's the 100% complete opposite. GWS will only want an exceptional talent and that's why he is being mentioned. In a perverse way, it's kind of a backhanded compliment.

Anyhoo, yeah for Wilbur. I'm sure the Cornes family will make the journey :)

(P.s. - it might have been in bad taste, but I cannot stand the Cornes family)

boydogs
03-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Well done Will, making it look easy this year.

F'scary
03-07-2013, 08:39 PM
Dear Will

Firstly, don't blame us if you get dropped before your milestone game. Jinxing is just a superstitious idea having no basis in reality. Just ask Picken.

Secondly, I like your work but it would be good if you stopped wearing that big rubber band between your hands during the game. It is preventing you from taking overhead marks.

Thirdly, it is fantastich that you speak German and play the saxophone, although probably not at the same time, which would be an even better achievement. But what would be really good would be if you just smashed a few opposition players so hard in their arses that they had to put their hands down their throat to wipe their bums for a week. Oh, and if you could find it within yourself to kick a few goals here and there, that would be appreciated too.

Yours sincerely

F'scary

LostDoggy
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
I wasn't going to bite, but since you did first :)

No one wants Wilbur out, it's not like he's run his race and we want whatever we can get. It's the 100% complete opposite. GWS will only want an exceptional talent and that's why he is being mentioned. In a perverse way, it's kind of a backhanded compliment.

Anyhoo, yeah for Wilbur. I'm sure the Cornes family will make the journey :)

(P.s. - it might have been in bad taste, but I cannot stand the Cornes family)

Gold. The Cornes' can stick it 150 times!

Loved the big fella from day dot, the SA supporters used to call him Optimus prime.

LostDoggy
04-07-2013, 02:06 PM
William the Conqueror. I was wrong !

josie
04-07-2013, 11:28 PM
Excuse the clichés:

He is a credit to himself. Made of the right stuff. A natural leader.

Congratulations to a bloke who is head and shoulders above the majority of the list in effort, leadership and endurance. He has done a mountain of work this season, worked through plenty of adversity and competition for spots over his career and not once, ever baulked at the responsibility of playing the game in our Club's interests.

IMO, he should be our current Captain (made the call mid last year.) My favourite player by a long stretch, he has Libba like qualities with respect to his doggedness and sense of sacrifice. Long may his form continue and others develop off the back of his example.

Gee...Good call SonofScray,

Had my blinkers on & thought only Griff as possible next captain (2014). I live Bill Will and especially his leadership & never say die effort. Would also be great if he took a few more overhead marks and a goal or two - but then again I'm a greedy gal.

Daughter of the West
05-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Well done Big Will, and hope you have a cracker of a match tomorrow!

whythelongface
05-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Congrats Wilbur. He has certainly stepped up from being an average ruckman to being (arguably) the best tap ruckman in the game. Kudos to the hard work he has put in as this sets a huge positive example to the rest of the team.

craigsahibee
05-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Yes. Will has now elevated himself above Neil Bristow as our greatest ever Ruckman to wear no. 27.

Hotdog60
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
I prime example of Wills professionalism and determination is to look at the last quarter of last week run him self into the ground.
Well done Will on your milestone.