PDA

View Full Version : Momentum

Dry Rot
06-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Watching the end of the Dees game and our unstoppable surge made me think about momentum in games and how sometimes it seems inexplicable.

So thoughts on how you gain momentum?

Maintain it?

And how you defend against/stop it when it goes against you?

Maddog37
06-07-2013, 02:31 PM
When you get the ball, keep the ball. When they have the ball get it back off them. When you get it back of them revert to step one.

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 02:40 PM
I think there's been a few good articles on momentum in sport over the years.
There's a saying something along the lines of, by the time you realise momentum is against you it's often too late. I don't remember the exact saying.

Gaining momentum just can happen for a few reasons, so its hard to guage in my opinion, sometimes a big goal or an exciting bit of play can get a bunch of players pumping full of adrenaline, and the team lifts as a result. As the adrenaline dies down, a momentum swing can occur as the players are slightly down after a rush. Doesn't always work like that of course.

The idea that teams experience a downer after an adrenaline inspired period of momentum means that maintaining momentum can be very difficult. I think on field leaders can keep their teams adrenaline going for longer. Imagine playing with Luke Hodge when he lays a couple of big bumps or does something courageous. It's inspiring and keeps the team up and about. The leaders of course will also be using their voice to keep team mates on their toes, and to keep them going.
I think last week Will Minson really made a statement in the last quarter, just with his voice and calling players to position and dominating in the centre to inspire our last quarter momentum.

In football we see teams try to maintain possession and play a bit of 'keepings off' and slow up the play to stop momentum going against them, but it often doesn't work, as a team with momentum will have that adrenaline rush and will be quicker to defend and pressure than normal and give themselves a good chance of turning the ball over even if the other team is trying hard to maintain possession.
As such defending against momentum is almost as difficult as maintaining it.

Of course I just thought of this on a whim.
Interesting discussion point Dry Rot.

Dry Rot
07-07-2013, 12:19 AM
anyone else have the pleasure of watching the Hawks v Cats game tonight?

Big momentum changes there.