PDA

View Full Version : We lead in mid season coach sackings - why?

Dry Rot
06-07-2013, 02:28 PM
See table half way down the page

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-05/does-a-coach-swap-mean-a-form-drop

We have sacked a coach mid season roughly twice as often as Carlton and the Swans, three times the rate of the Dons, Dees, Tigers and Pies and six times the rate of Geelong or Hawthorn.

Why?

Hotdog60
06-07-2013, 02:38 PM
See table half way down the page

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-05/does-a-coach-swap-mean-a-form-drop

We have sacked a coach mid season roughly twice as often as Carlton and the Swans, three times the rate of the Dons, Dees, Tigers and Pies and six times the rate of Geelong or Hawthorn.

Why?

My thoughts would be that we are a club that requires results straight away. Because we do not have a strong supporter base the fans drop off through lack of success and the money with it.
We cannot ride out any long term rebuilds and take drastic action to appease the grumbling masses.
I hope this trend stops and we give the coach support to build what he calls a team that will have sustain success over a long period.
We are seeing the pressure starting mount now with just the types of posts that are coming on this forum and I would rate most of our posters as reasonable people.
Macca has said it could take 5 years for the team to come together we are starting to jump after two.
Lets not repeat the past and have some faith that we can be like the Geelong and Collingwoods of this world.

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
My thoughts would be that we are a club that requires results straight away. Because we do not have a strong supporter base the fans drop off through lack of success and the money with it.
We cannot ride out any long term rebuilds and take drastic action to appease the grumbling masses.
I hope this trend stops and we give the coach support to build what he calls a team that will have sustain success over a long period.
We are seeing the pressure starting mount now with just the types of posts that are coming on this forum and I would rate most of our posters as reasonable people.
Macca has said it could take 5 years for the team to come together we are starting to jump after two.
Lets not repeat the past and have some faith that we can be like the Geelong and Collingwoods of this world.

There is no way the club will allow this crap to go on for 5 years ... we are into the third season of the rebuild and if positive results aren't seen by the first few games next year, then sponsors and members will fall away and the club will be forced do what Melbourne did to save the lost revenue.

always right
06-07-2013, 06:19 PM
There is no way the club will allow this crap to go on for 5 years ... we are into the third season of the rebuild and if positive results aren't seen by the first few games next year, then sponsors and members will fall away and the club will be forced do what Melbourne did to save the lost revenue.

You question why we are one of the leading teams when it comes to mid year sackings and then you claim the club can't let the current coach go on if we lose the first few games next year. :confused:

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Throws the accepting mediocrity theory out the window, we axe all our coaches and don't give them a chance if they seem mediocre.

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 06:31 PM

Very nice way of making hotdog's point for him.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Second season under Macca not third.

GVGjr
06-07-2013, 08:38 PM
Second season under Macca not third.

It's fair to say that we started the rebuild the previous season. We should be seeing a greater progress by now

Bulldog4life
06-07-2013, 08:42 PM
It's fair to say that we started the rebuild the previous season. We should be seeing a greater progress by now

True but the thread is about sacking coaches mid season. I wanted to confirm that this coach is in his second year.

Topdog
07-07-2013, 07:02 AM
You question why we are one of the leading teams when it comes to mid year sackings and then you claim the club can't let the current coach go on if we lose the first few games next year. :confused:

To be fair Peter didnt pose this question at all.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 10:01 AM

I wouldn't say that. 2011 was the year Smorgs said we'd make a GF. We failed, sacked Eade and started the rebuild (refresh) 2012. I'd say this is the second year of the rebuild.

Twodogs
07-07-2013, 12:00 PM
That list says coach changes, not sackings. Remember Wallace, Goggin and Rose all quit and they are included on that list. Off the top of my head that's three coaches who weren't sacked.

Then there was the Whitten/Sutton merry-go-round In the '50s and 60s. Sutton was sacked mid season to be replaced by Whitten then the same thing happened to replace Teddy with Charlie.

Then theres the methodology of the compiling of the list. For instance Jack Bissett was sacked at South Melbourne in 1935 then reinstated a week later. Does this appear on the list?

I'd want to know an awful lot more about that list before I made a definitive call on whether or not we 'sack' too many coaches mid season.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Two Dogs, How dare you bring in facts to contradict stats!

Topdog
07-07-2013, 12:40 PM
It also counts Rocket which I wouldnt call a mid season removal either.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2013, 03:56 PM
It also counts Rocket which I wouldnt call a mid season removal either.

Yes not with us but he was with Sydney.