PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 16 vs Essendon

GVGjr
06-07-2013, 04:58 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Sundays game against Essendon at Etihad.

As usual a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussions.

GVGjr
06-07-2013, 05:42 PM
What changes can we make?

G-Mo77
06-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Any news on JJ? Ugly hit and may miss next week.

Will needs help in the ruck but I just don't see him getting any with Cordy. He's got to go back to the VFL.

Dickson was ordinary and I'd also consider dropping him.

bornadog
06-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Out: Cordy, Wallis, Stringer (rest)

In: Roberts, Grant. Hunter

The match committee must do something about the forward line. Roberts can't do any worse than 5 handballs for the day.

Campbell is too lumbering like a Cordy.

GVGjr
06-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Any news on JJ? Ugly hit and may miss next week.

Nothing yet that I can find

GVGjr
06-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Out: Cordy, Wallis, Stringer (rest)

In: Roberts, Grant. Hunter

The match committee must do something about the forward line. Roberts can't do any worse than 5 handballs for the day.

Campbell is too lumbering like a Cordy.

I'll give this some more thought but this doesn't appear to be enough changes. Also we probably have to assume Johannisen won't be playing.

I'd have Picken, Lower and Cross in the mix

bornadog
06-07-2013, 06:04 PM
I'll give this some more thought but this doesn't appear to be enough changes. Also we probably have to assume Johannisen won't be playing.

I'd have Picken, Lower and Cross in the mix

Yes good point on Picken.

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Grant has to play.
Ayce was useless today. Stringer badly needs a rest, Macrae could probably do with one as well. Dahl is probably in career worst form - he's only 20, probably needs a week off as well.
He's been in good VFL form, just give him a chance.

Don't know what's going on with Ayce, even in his bad games Jones looks significantly more dangerous. At least he always competes hard and provides a strong chase

always right
06-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Don't understand why you'd drop Dahl the week after he plays his best game in two months. Picken has to come in but Lower and Cross? Could we get any slower?

I suspect the MC is going to stick with Cordy no matter what....even though I agree Fletcher would be a better bet.

In: Picken, Young
Out : JJ (assuming he's not right), Tutt

Remi Moses
06-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Grant has to play.
Ayce was useless today. Stringer badly needs a rest, Macrae could probably do with one as well. Dahl is probably in career worst form - he's only 20, probably needs a week off as well.

Don't know what's going on with Ayce, even in his bad games Jones looks significantly more dangerous. At least he always competes hard and provides a strong chase

Not sure what game you were watching .
Dahlhaus played well, as did Macrae.
Stringer struggled, Cordy has one arm and gets outbodied.
Don't think I'd be Bringing in Cross ( we already have to many one paced types)

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 06:21 PM
Not sure what game you were watching .
Dahlhaus played well, as did Macrae.
Stringer struggled, Cordy has one arm and gets outbodied.
Don't think I'd be Bringing in Cross ( we already have to many one paced types)

Dahl was good in the last.
More that he'd be better with a week off to rest rather than criticism of his game

ReLoad
06-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Grant has to play.

Grant does not have to play at all. he's a turnip. His form at willy is lamentable, he doesn't deserve a game simple really.

Out: Dickson, Cordy, Stringer
In: Hunter, Roberts, Cross

time to roll the dice on fletch!

boydogs
06-07-2013, 06:40 PM
Time to change up the forward line

In: Grant, Roberts, Hunter
Out: Jones, Cordy, Stringer

bornadog
06-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Don't understand why you'd drop Dahl the week after he plays his best game in two months. Picken has to come in but Lower and Cross? Could we get any slower?

I suspect the MC is going to stick with Cordy no matter what....even though I agree Fletcher would be a better bet.

In: Picken, Young
Out : JJ (assuming he's not right), Tutt

I thought Tutt redeemed himself with a good last quarter, but I guess overall he was not great. I would give him another week.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2013, 08:01 PM
I thought Tutt redeemed himself with a good last quarter, but I guess overall he was not great. I would give him another week.

Agree. Kicked a couple of goals. Definitely not the worse. Be silly to drop him after one week.

F'scary
06-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Out:

Cordy (and that's it forever, sorry, don't let the door bang your arse on the way out),
Dickson (1 season wonder - cut at the end of the year)
Stringer (no tank at the moment - bit of a worry.)
Tutt (last quarter goal not enough to save spot next week)
JJ (surely will miss with injury)

In:
Roberts
Young
Picken
Cross
Hunter

The Underdog
06-07-2013, 08:14 PM

I thought he did some good things. I also think it's silly to bring him up for a week then drop him, especially considering we're likely to lose JJ's run. Was outrun by his opponent a bit but wasn't on his own there. You'd take 18 possies and 2 goals from him most weeks.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Out:

Cordy (and that's it forever, sorry, don't let the door bang your arse on the way out),
Dickson (1 season wonder - cut at the end of the year)
Stringer (no tank at the moment - bit of a worry.)
Tutt (last quarter goal not enough to save spot next week)
JJ (surely will miss with injury)

In:
Roberts
Young
Picken
Cross
Hunter

Tutt kicked two goals the first a beauty on the run in the first quarter.

Greystache
06-07-2013, 08:48 PM
In- Hunter, Roberts, Young, Picken

Out- JJ, Cordy, Stringer, Wallis

JJ is a massive loss and we don't have anyone to replace him really, Young had been good but obviously doesn't have the same run. Cordy just isn't up to it and hasn't improved in the last few years, it's time to make Roberts our next project. Stringer looks knackered and isn't having much impact at the moment. Picken to tag and Wallis is having the least impact.

FrediKanoute
06-07-2013, 09:06 PM
In:

Hunter (not sure the reason he was dropped)
Grant (last chance saloon, but has to play to see if he can redeem/revive his career)
Young (was in the first 5 picked before injury)
Roberts (time to see if he can take a step forward)

Out:
Dickson (is underdone, and not talented enough to get by with limited fitness)
Stringer (needs a spell, is a young kid wih an abundance of talent, but he needs to drop down to rediscover what he can do)
JJ (assuming he doesn't pull up)
Cordy (like Dickson is underdone, he needs another pre-season)

Calls for Cross to come back in are short sighted, his time is over. Great servant, but lets move on!

josie
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
In- Hunter, Roberts, Young

Out- JJ, Cordy, Dickson

F'scary
06-07-2013, 09:12 PM

I know that. Every time I see him, though, I find he just about always fumbles the ball. He has block hands.

G-Mo77
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM
We're really going to miss JJ for the rest of the year. I don't know who will replace that run he gives us.

GVGjr
06-07-2013, 11:41 PM
We're really going to miss JJ for the rest of the year. I don't know who will replace that run he gives us.

There simply isn't a lot of options. It's been a good year for his development though.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 12:01 AM

Well maybe Pearce has to step up

Hotdog60
07-07-2013, 08:35 AM
I'll throw a wild one out there, could we give Grant a shot or is the defensive side not up to scratch.
And would he have enough tricks to move the ball on.
We are at a loss with JJ type of player, I can see Murphy having to go back again.

Bumper Bulldogs
07-07-2013, 09:44 AM
My view is we have no hope of getting close, so we may as well develop the kids,

Hunter (play the kid until the end of the year)
Young (we need his run)
Grant / Roberts (I would play Grant ahead of Roberts but only if he commits to tackle, we could do with his pace and smarts around the or wad line)

Outs:
The forward coach, what the hell are we paying him for!
Stevens (I thought he was really poor and just turned the ball over, can't see what he brings to the table)
Cordy (he needs to finish the Season down at willie)
JJ (injured)

I think it's not tie to give a fair well game to Cross/Gia/Boyd but we really need to look to next year and start now and advertise for coaches now.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Although i know what you all mean, It is funny the term "rest" used when talking about Stringer. This is the last thing he needs. Yes he needs to drop down to the VFL, but for the opposite to rest, he needs to start getting the ball and working hard with it. Has to hurt his development seeing limited ball time. I'd almost go one week in one week out with him.

F'scary
07-07-2013, 11:41 AM

On further reflection, B4L, I was too harsh on Tutt. But he does fumble a lot.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 11:51 AM
In and outs: Tom Boyd for Ayce Cordy, Jack Billings for Tory Dickson, Matt Scharenberg for Jason Johannisen.

Happy Days
07-07-2013, 12:33 PM
In and outs: Tom Boyd for Ayce Cordy, Jack Billings for Tory Dickson, Matt Scharenberg for Jason Johannisen.

^^Is there a point to this post?
------------------------------------
I think we're going to have to look outside the box to replace JJ (and also overlook how sad it is that we have to look outside the box to replace a sub-20 game player). Ideally Howard or Pearce could come in and fill his role, but they are both not good at football so maybe not.

Picken to a back pocket, with the instruction to take the game on? We all know he has limited disposal, but he is one of the few guys on the list with the speed to come close to JJ. Maybe Grant? He would be a liability defensively but JJ rarely takes the most dangerous forward. Plus he has all of the other necessary qualities.

I know these are not appealing suggestions, but the cupboard is bare.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Little bit of Sunday morning light-heartedness, obviously lost.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Little bit of Sunday morning light-heartedness, obviously lost.

We have all lost our sense of humour :D

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 01:41 PM
Howard would probably get given a chance for JJ, but I think he's still out after his hip operation.

bulldogtragic
07-07-2013, 01:46 PM
[QUOTE=bornadog;332265]We have all lost our sense of humour

Edit: I was going to make a joke, but I changed my mind.... Well played BAD.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2013, 02:00 PM
On further reflection, B4L, I was too harsh on Tutt. But he does fumble a lot.

Yes he does F'scary I agree there. But he is not on his own. With 18 disposals and 2 goals it was a reasonable game from him.

G-Mo77
07-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Yes he does F'scary I agree there. But he is not on his own. With 18 disposals and 2 goals it was a reasonable game from him.

Macrae got the fumbles yesterday as well, that seemed to go unnoticed. Macca gave Tutt a little bit of praise in the Press Conference yesterday. Regardless of what he does he's got to get at least 3 - 4 consecutive games.

azabob
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Macrae got the fumbles yesterday as well, that seemed to go unnoticed. Macca gave Tutt a little bit of praise in the Press Conference yesterday. Regardless of what he does he's got to get at least 3 - 4 consecutive games.

I got the feeling Tutts praise was due to the local press wanting to hear about the local kid. I think Tutt is gone at years end.

craigsahibee
07-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Out -JJ, Dickson

In - Grant, Roberts

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 02:47 PM
I got the feeling Tutts praise was due to the local press wanting to hear about the local kid. I think Tutt is gone at years end.

I think if a player of his limited experience is going to be getting games towards the end of the season and follows the training and discipline instructions from BMc they'll get at least another year owing to the new VFL team control.

The delistings will come from an older and more experienced bracket.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Out - JJ

In - Young

We won the game so the MC has an opportunity to show faith in the players who played.

boydogs
07-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Out - JJ

In - Young

We won the game so the MC has an opportunity to show faith in the players who played.

57 forward 50 entries to 36, and we won the game by 4 points. Our forward line is dysfunctional.

Bulldog4life
07-07-2013, 09:15 PM
57 forward 50 entries to 36, and we won the game by 4 points. Our forward line is dysfunctional.

Which playets do you think we should bring in to make a big difference to our forward line gogriff?

SlimPickens
07-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Out: JJ, Cordy,

In: Young, Hunter

I'd be tempted to bring in another tall defender so Roughy can give Will a chop out in the ruck, on form it would be most likely be Redpath which would be a huge leap of faith.

boydogs
08-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Which playets do you think we should bring in to make a big difference to our forward line gogriff?

I had Hunter, Roberts and Grant coming in this week. I would also move Cooney forward, I would say Murphy as well but JJ is out

Cooney Grant Dickson
Dahlhaus Roberts Smith

Bulldog4life
08-07-2013, 12:49 AM
I had Hunter, Roberts and Grant coming in this week. I would also move Cooney forward, I would say Murphy as well but JJ is out

Cooney Grant Dickson
Dahlhaus Roberts Smith

Be interesting to see what the MC does.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-07-2013, 01:08 PM

B4L, I would think that the MC needs to be bold by changing our attack. Bringing back Young into our defence will allow Murphy to go forward. we haven't seen a lot of Roberts due to injury, but this would be the ideal time to test him up forward, with the possibility of alternating him with Roughead during the game. Players like Ben Reid, Harry Taylor, Hurley and Carlisle are proving how valuable it is to have KPP who can play both back and forward. Cordy Jones and Stringer simply do not provide the same flexibility. Our MC needs to show more imagination in selection.
in: Roberts Young and Picken
Out : Cordy Stringer and JJ

bornadog
08-07-2013, 01:10 PM
B4L, I would think that the MC needs to be bold by changing our attack. Bringing back Young into our defence will allow Murphy to go forward. we haven't seen a lot of Roberts due to injury, but this would be the ideal time to test him up forward, with the possibility of alternating him with Roughead during the game. Players like Ben Reid, Harry Taylor, Hurley and Carlisle are proving how valuable it is to have KPP who can play both back and forward. Cordy Jones and Stringer simply do not provide the same flexibility. Our MC needs to show more imagination in selection.
in: Roberts Young and Picken
Out : Cordy Stringer and JJ

NBP - do you think Cordy should be trialled as a CHB? I think he played that role at Willi in a few games? or is he just not flexible enough.

Cyberdoggie
08-07-2013, 02:02 PM

Is it our forward line or our poor/slow ball movement and foot skills further up the ground?

Just look at Nathan Hrovat, only played a couple of games but has shown a few examples where his delivery into the forward line was spot on, and goals were generated.

The midfielders certainly don't make it easy for our forwards. Putting the blame solely on some inexperienced kids isn't really the answer. We do need an experienced tall forward but our ball movement and disposal is the real killer.

Greystache
08-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Is it our forward line or our poor/slow ball movement and foot skills further up the ground?

Just look at Nathan Hrovat, only played a couple of games but has shown a few examples where his delivery into the forward line was spot on, and goals were generated.

The midfielders certainly don't make it easy for our forwards. Putting the blame solely on some inexperienced kids isn't really the answer. We do need an experienced tall forward but our ball movement and disposal is the real killer.

It's probably a bit of both. Our delivery is poor, but so too is the movement and presenting of our forwards. Gia is neither quick nor a particularly strong mark, but he's still able to mark and kick goals by leading to good positions and presenting. Even with the poor disposal from up the ground he still manages to get shots on goal, if the other forwards were able to do likewise I feel our entries wouldn't look as bad and we'd certainly blindly bomb it in less often.

Leading is not a great strength of Jones and he needs to develop it, Cordy is little more than a statue, and Stringer doesn't have to fitness to regularly repeat lead (although I think he has the smarts to do it). We need to get more out of Dickson in this area, and hopefully someone like Roberts can come in and add this.

DragzLS1
08-07-2013, 02:41 PM
This is going to get ugly against essendon if we dont punish them when going forward.. We let Essendon rebound they will score quickly against us. Like to see the team unchanged except for JJ obviously.

Dont think we have too many more winnable games left

Mantis
08-07-2013, 02:56 PM
In: Grant, Roberts, Picken, Young

Out: JJ, Cordy, Dickson, Macrae (rest)

Probably a case for Stringer to have a rest too.

Ozza
08-07-2013, 03:00 PM
Outs: JJ (Injured); Cordy; Wallis
In: Young; Picken; Hunter

Jones to ruck for the couple of times a game Minson is not on the ground.
Would like to see us a bit quicker, a bit more mobile across the ground.
Stringer looks like he needs a rest - but they get an 8 day break - and back to Etihad - hopefully he and Macrae hang in there and pull up well.

Morris; Roughead; Goodes
Young; Talia; Cooney
Smith; Liberatore; Stevens
Hunter; Jones; Murphy
Dahlhaus; Stringer; Gia

Minson; Griffen; Picken
Hrovat; Dickson; Macrae; Tutt

boydogs
08-07-2013, 11:25 PM

Think back to the Brad Johnson days, he was our number 1 target inside 50 because he simply demanded the ball. Even when he slowed down towards the end of his career and stopped winning it, because of his positioning, calling for it and the trust in him developed over many years by our mids we kept kicking it to him, to the point where it was a problem for us.

Our forwards aren't demanding the ball. Cordy has no confidence, Jones & Stringer have no workrate.

F'scary
08-07-2013, 11:35 PM

Agreed. Worth holding his spot against the Bees this week.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-07-2013, 11:42 AM
NBP - do you think Cordy should be trialled as a CHB? I think he played that role at Willi in a few games? or is he just not flexible enough.

I wouldn't see Cordy holding down CHB because of his lack of mobility. His appeal given his size is to eventually make it as a ruckman. An out of season period of professional foot running wouldn't do any harm in a bid to quicken him up.

Hot_Doggies
09-07-2013, 12:32 PM
I wouldn't see Cordy holding down CHB because of his lack of mobility. His appeal given his size is to eventually make it as a ruckman. An out of season period of professional foot running wouldn't do any harm in a bid to quicken him up.

Foot running, is that the new 'leg speed'? ;)

bornadog
09-07-2013, 12:37 PM

Agree, can't see him at CHB either. His only chance is to be a ruckman but will the MC give him that opportunity?

azabob
09-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Agree, can't see him at CHB either. His only chance is to be a ruckman but will the MC give him that opportunity?

The only chance he has is in the VFL to learn his craft as others have said.

Then it comes down to who is a better prospect as first ruck - Cordy or Campbell?

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2013, 10:15 PM
The only chance he has is in the VFL to learn his craft as others have said.

Then it comes down to who is a better prospect as first ruck - Cordy or Campbell?

I think Campbell is streets ahead of Cordy at the moment, and he's no certainty either.

JamesInCanberra
09-07-2013, 10:48 PM

Jason Tutt?

Greystache
10-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Jason Tutt?

The concern would be whether he has the capacity to defend an opponent one on one. That was one area, despite his size, that JJ has really improved in.

Nuggety Back Pocket
10-07-2013, 10:58 AM
I think Campbell is streets ahead of Cordy at the moment, and he's no certainty either.

Campbell's ruckwork is better than Cordy's but neither of them impress up forward or around the ground due to their lack of mobility.
Campbell in many ways is similar to Minson but with Will rucking for 80-90% of the game it lessens the need to play Campbell as well.

G-Mo77
10-07-2013, 12:41 PM
With Cordy being on every out list what are the thoughts on Will going alone against a Ryder/Bellchambers combo? IMO Cordy's justification of selection is based on helping out Will but I didn't see much of that against GWS anyway.

Can Will go alone against the Bombers?

Rocco Jones
10-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Can Will go alone against the Bombers?

He did it against the Eagles. It's hard to truly get your head around it but Will is the best ruckman in the league by a fair bit at the moment.

G-Mo77
10-07-2013, 01:25 PM
He did it against the Eagles. It's hard to truly get your head around it but Will is the best ruckman in the league by a fair bit at the moment.

True on both counts. I was going through my outs and had him going alone.

FWIW.

Outs: JJ, Cordy, Stringer
Ins: Grant, Picken, Hunter

I'd love to try a forward line with Jones/Stringer/Grant but think Stringer needs to have a few weeks in the VFL.

I'm leaving Roberts on ice for another week or two or longer. Regardless of potential and how much he's needed I'd like to see him win his place with some good form at Willy.

I'm giving Grant a go but I'd happily swap that with Young.

Hunter has got to come back in.

azabob
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM

Is Will getting tired though? He has done a massive amount of work both mentally and physically.

Having said Cordy is unable to go with either Bellchambers or Ryder.

G-Mo77
10-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Is Will getting tired though? He has done a massive amount of work both mentally and physically.

Having said Cordy is unable to go with either Bellchambers or Ryder.

I thought I saw signs of it a few weeks back which is why I wanted to bring Cordy straight back to give him more rest. Will seemed to me that he spent more time off the ground against Melbourne.

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Reports are Picken and Cross to come in

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Have heard Hunter is in.

whythelongface
11-07-2013, 07:31 PM
6 inclusions incl Grant

Go_Dogs
11-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Ins:
Dylan Addison,
Liam Picken,
Tom Young,
Lachie Hunter,
Jarrad Grant,
Daniel Cross

Outs

JJ, Cordy, Stringer

Grant named on the field.

Bulldog4life
11-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Ins:
Dylan Addison,
Liam Picken,
Tom Young,
Lachie Hunter,
Jarrad Grant,
Daniel Cross

Outs

JJ, Cordy, Stringer

Hope they give him 3 to 4 weeks run at least....hopefully he plays well enough to stay in all year of course.

G-Mo77
11-07-2013, 07:50 PM

I haven't got close for a long time so I may as well brag. :p

The Bulldogs Bite
11-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Out of all those, I'm most hoping that Hunter plays.

bornadog
11-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Interchange:

3 Mitch Wallis
31 Tom Young
25 Koby Stevens
26 Lachie Hunter
11 Jack Macrae
29 Tory Dickson
4 Daniel Cross

I hope Macrae and Hunter are ins. I would guess Dickson and Stevens to take up the other two spots. Cross may replace Stevens.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Ins:
Dylan Addison,
Liam Picken,
Tom Young,
Lachie Hunter,
Jarrad Grant,
Daniel Cross

Outs

JJ, Cordy, Stringer

Good decisions. The bench will be interesting.

jeemak
11-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Interchange:

3 Mitch Wallis
31 Tom Young
25 Koby Stevens
26 Lachie Hunter
11 Jack Macrae
29 Tory Dickson
4 Daniel Cross

I hope Macrae and Hunter are ins. I would guess Dickson and Stevens to take up the other two spots. Cross may replace Stevens.

I was incredibly frustrated with Dickson's game, though having come back from an extended period I'm OK with him maintaining his position.

Like you, I'd like McCrae to stay in the side.

I'd prefer to keep Wallis in there as well, and perhaps bring Young in.

F'scary
11-07-2013, 09:36 PM

FWIW.

I'd love to try a forward line with Jones/Stringer/Grant but think Stringer needs to have a few weeks in the VFL.

I'm leaving Roberts on ice for another week or two or longer. Regardless of potential and how much he's needed I'd like to see him win his place with some good form at Willy.

I'm giving Grant a go but I'd happily swap that with Young.

Hunter has got to come back in.

Right on the money - what other tips can you share?

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 09:47 PM
Got one thing to say.

C'mon one J Grant. The intersection of his career.

Remi Moses
11-07-2013, 09:52 PM
The penny has to finally drop for Grant.
Time to deliver

BornInDroopSt'54
11-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Got one thing to say.

I'm on knife's edge. I know he is talented and has a lot to offer so I hope he can show it.

Dancin' Douggy
11-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Got one thing to say.

The selection or non selection of J. Grant has been a regular ping pong ball on WOOF.

I've been of the opinion he should be played consistently 'til he sinks or swims at senior level.
This year, now. This is his last chance to salvage a career.

Looks like the decisions been made. Now lets just HOPE he, at the very least, improves his trade value.

SonofScray
11-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I'm getting around Spindleshanks, against popular opinion I believe he can play at the highest level and can contribute to the team. Very glad he is getting a shot at it again. While he in the team, it'd be good if we could just get around him.

Can't wait to see him deliver.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm getting around Spindleshanks, against popular opinion I believe he can play at the highest level and can contribute to the team. Very glad he is getting a shot at it again. While he in the team, it'd be good if we could just get around him.

Can't wait to see him deliver.
I hope he tears it apart, to freakin shreds, but his opportunity couldn't be any harder. If he beats Fletcher, he gets Hooker, if he beats Hooker he gets Hurley, if he beats Hurley he gets Carlisle. And that's assuming Pears doesn't play.

I want him playing, but he CANNOT be judged on one game against this defensive unit. But here's hoping he gives them all a lesson.

mjp
11-07-2013, 10:19 PM
I hope he tears it apart, to freakin shreds, but his opportunity couldn't be any harder. If he beats Fletcher, he gets Hooker, if he beats Hooker he gets Hurley, if he beats Hurley he gets Carlisle. And that's assuming Pears doesn't play.

Well, if he isn't good enough to compete against these guys then maybe he simply isn't good enough. There are lots of good defenders in the AFL and I think all anyone wants to se is consistent effort...if he delivers this he will be just fine when outcomes are measured no matter who he is on. Grant has the talent to break even with each of the guys you mention if he is having a genuine go.

bulldogtragic
11-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Well, if he isn't good enough to compete against these guys then maybe he simply isn't good enough. There are lots of good defenders in the AFL and I think all anyone wants to se is consistent effort...if he delivers this he will be just fine when outcomes are measured no matter who he is on. Grant has the talent to break even with each of the guys you mention if he is having a genuine go.
I agree MJP. My hope is that he will be afforded a month of footy and not judged on one game.

F'scary
11-07-2013, 10:25 PM
Got one thing to say.

And just as he gets the green light some massive B Double is going straight through the red.

jeemak
11-07-2013, 10:27 PM
I agree MJP. My hope is that he will be afforded a month of footy and not judged on one game.

Perhaps what MJP is eluding to is that if he doesn't show the required effort this week then maybe he should.

G-Mo77
11-07-2013, 11:19 PM
Right on the money - what other tips can you share?

I think we'll lose by 30+ ;)

bornadog
11-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Got one thing to say.

Hope the ball makes it into the forward line.

Hotdog60
12-07-2013, 06:03 AM
Hope the ball makes it into the forward line.

I think the ball will make it in just as much as Essendon. The only difference will be if it is kicked to us or them.:)

The Pie Man
12-07-2013, 07:15 AM
As with others, you hope that if Grant stinks it up on Sunday that he's not given the Veszpremi treatment, though there's one added thing for me here....I really want to see Stringer & Grant in the same forward-line.

They combined very well in the VFL early in the year, though it makes sense to rest the man child this week given how he's looked recently.

Please Spindle, show us you want this

soupman
12-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Dickson better not make the side. Just watched the game in full for the first time this morning and I thought he was just as poor as Cordy (who wasn't as bad as I expected having read the comments on here). Just thought that if you took out the lucky frees Dickson received he did nothing. I thought the possesions Cordy earned were better than Dicksons, and contrary to the stats quoted on here Cordy did take a mark.

I want the bench to read Macrae, Hunter, Wallis and Stevens.

bornadog
12-07-2013, 12:49 PM
Dickson better not make the side. Just watched the game in full for the first time this morning and I thought he was just as poor as Cordy (who wasn't as bad as I expected having read the comments on here). Just thought that if you took out the lucky frees Dickson received he did nothing. I thought the possesions Cordy earned were better than Dicksons, and contrary to the stats quoted on here Cordy did take a mark.

I want the bench to read Macrae, Hunter, Wallis and Stevens.

Two weeks in a row now for Dickson. I just think the MC favours him and he will keep his spot.

jeemak
12-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Two weeks in a row now for Dickson. I just think the MC favours him and he will keep his spot.

Inclined to think any lenience for him would be on the basis of him coming back from a reasonably long term injury.

If he plays poorly this week, you couldn't justify a spot for him next week.

Eastdog
12-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Inclined to think any lenience for him would be on the basis of him coming back from a reasonably long term injury.

If he plays poorly this week, you couldn't justify a spot for him next week.

Who would come in you think if Dickson is dropped.

jeemak
12-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Who would come in you think if Dickson is dropped.

Maybe a direct swap for Hunter, Broseph.

Mantis
12-07-2013, 01:12 PM

Agree with all that.. We can't play Gia, Addison & Dickson in the same forward-line.

Ozza
12-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Dickson should definitely be omitted this week. Addison and Grant being named in the 18 - suggests he almost certainly will be omitted.

I don't like speculating on how young players are travelling - but I wouldn't be surprised if Macrae had a week off, or played at Willy. He's had a big load for a light framed, first year player - and is possibly hitting the wall a bit.

Wallis being listed on the extended bench looks a bit ominous for him - woulldn't have thought Cross would be included, and then not play - and we can't play both of them.

LostDoggy
12-07-2013, 03:42 PM

I want him playing, but he CANNOT be judged on one game against this defensive unit. But here's hoping he gives them all a lesson.

Carlisle, Hooker and Hurley all played when Grant kicked 6, lock it in.

Seriously though Fletcher, Pears or a small would be their best match up for Grant, he's too quick for the others.

ReLoad
12-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I really hope grant does well, heaven knows we need a shot in the arm in our forward line, but seriously he has been in the VFL all year and showed nothing! not a single reason why he should be playing for the firsts.

I hope that he gets a few games in a row so then finally we can close the book on him and move on.

Please prove me wrong Granty, pretty please.

bornadog
12-07-2013, 06:33 PM
Final Teams

IN
Dylan Addison, Liam Picken, Lachie Hunter, Jarrad Grant

OUT
Jason Johannisen (Shoulder) , Ayce Cordy (Omitted) , Jake Stringer (Soreness) , Jack Macrae (Rested)

G-Mo77
12-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Agree with all that.. We can't play Gia, Addison & Dickson in the same forward-line.

We can play all 3 apparently. :)

I'm on the same page with Dickson I felt he was poor before his injury and think he's been poor since his return. Another poor performance I'd find it hard to make an argument for him to stay in the team. It's not that easy to do that now.

LostDoggy
12-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Would Dickson have been signed on a two year deal?

azabob
12-07-2013, 08:16 PM

I'd imagine so - why? I'd keep him for another year.

G-Mo77
12-07-2013, 08:21 PM

http://www.sen.com.au/display-afl/Dogs-resign-key-trio/46831

2 Years.

Roughy and Cordy for 3.

F'scary
12-07-2013, 11:02 PM
http://www.sen.com.au/display-afl/Dogs-resign-key-trio/46831

2 Years.

Roughy and Cordy for 3.

Can we take a year off Cordy's contract and give it to Pretty Boy?

Remi Moses
12-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Bit tough on Dickson coming back from a long term injury.
Deserves another game.
Cordy had to go, he didn't touch it..
I'm worried where are going to get poleaxed in this game to be honest.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-07-2013, 11:39 PM
We can play all 3 apparently. :)

I'm on the same page with Dickson I felt he was poor before his injury and think he's been poor since his return. Another poor performance I'd find it hard to make an argument for him to stay in the team. It's not that easy to do that now.

Agreed. He was very ordinary prior to injury and although he deserves some slack post return, another poor week and he should be dropped.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-07-2013, 11:41 PM
Just on Grant, it's highly unlikely he's going to magically turn his career around at this point. At least, unlikely with us, but I hope he can perform well over the remainder of the year so that at the very least he's on an AFL list in 2014. He's got more talent than most, personally I've always wanted him to do well.

The Underdog
13-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Just on Grant, it's highly unlikely he's going to magically turn his career around at this point. At least, unlikely with us, but I hope he can perform well over the remainder of the year so that at the very least he's on an AFL list in 2014. He's got more talent than most, personally I've always wanted him to do well.

So have I, but I'm not sure he's ever been that concerned about it.

LostDoggy
13-07-2013, 12:55 AM
There's no doubt he wants it, but I'm sure there's a lot more going on in between the ears with him as well, lacks confidence.

always right
13-07-2013, 11:22 AM
For someone lacking confidence it's never stopped him getting into the ear of opposition players after a goal. Bravado?