PDA

View Full Version : JJ out for Season

wimberga
06-07-2013, 08:28 PM
Just reported on channel 7 by Doc Larkins.

Apparently dislocated his collarbone in that hit with Cameron and will require surgery this week, keeping him out for the rest of the season.

Damn that really hurts.

Eastdog
06-07-2013, 08:30 PM
That is bad news for us and for JJ. Hoping for a quick recovery.

Greystache
06-07-2013, 08:31 PM
That's hugely disappointing, JJ is not only constantly improving as a player he's actually a really important part of our team.

bulldogtragic
06-07-2013, 09:02 PM
I haven't seen the game, but if he was sniped as suggested I will go from disappointed to disgusted.

F'scary
06-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I haven't seen the game, but if he was sniped as suggested I will go from disappointed to disgusted.

Dunno - it seemed to me both were going in really hard at the ball. Cameron's head did the damage and he appeared dazed afterward. But maybe I'm wrong - any other views?

Eastdog
06-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Dunno - it seemed to me both were going in really hard at the ball. Cameron's head did the damage and he appeared dazed afterward. But maybe I'm wrong - any other views?

I think they were both going for the ball. That player forgot his name who hit Cooney I would think is in hot water.

SonofScray
06-07-2013, 09:11 PM
He saw a chance to take the body, wound right up and caught him high front on, from my view at the ground. The ball wasn't his intent. Look I'd love it if we did it to him but he went after the body and caught him high. Deserved a belting. Should get weeks.

F'scary
06-07-2013, 09:15 PM
He saw a chance to take the body, wound right up and caught him high front on, from my view at the ground. The ball wasn't his intent. Look I'd love it if we did it to him but he went after the body and caught him high. Deserved a belting. Should get weeks.

But was the contact between Cameron's head and JJ's head and shoulder region? Do you think Cameron took his eye off the ball?

FrediKanoute
06-07-2013, 09:19 PM

I tend to agree. Hard to punish Cameron. The only concern is that it is high contact and in the last replay, Cameron's eyes are on JJ. I don't think he deliberately lined him up, but at he certainly stopped going for the ball.

SonofScray
06-07-2013, 09:22 PM
But was the contact between Cameron's head and JJ's head and shoulder region? Do you think Cameron took his eye off the ball?

Hard to say without a replay but he had eyes for JJ when he took off towards the contest. May have been surprised to have a chance to win the footy in the end, hence the head going in unprotected. No doubt in my mind his intent was to take JJ out in the 1st instance.

It's the sort of shit effort that has that old prick Sheedy's name all over it.

F'scary
06-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Hard to say without a replay but he had eyes for JJ when he took off towards the contest. May have been surprised to have a chance to win the footy in the end, hence the head going in unprotected. No doubt in my mind his intent was to take JJ out in the 1st instance.

It's the sort of shit effort that has that old prick Sheedy's name all over it.

True, GWS certainly employed Sheedy's attested dirty tactics. Made me enjoy the win more and made the win more significant from the point of view that although they were below us on the ladder, they played really dirty and we didn't get scared and throw the towel in.

bornadog
06-07-2013, 09:56 PM
True, GWS certainly employed Sheedy's attested dirty tactics. Made me enjoy the win more and made the win more significant from the point of view that although they were below us on the ladder, they played really dirty and we didn't get scared and throw the towel in.

This is what Sheedy said:

Giants coach Kevin Sheedy defended his two players.

"They're strong kids, they are very determined players. We think you've got to play good honest, hard, tough football," Sheedy said. "We've got to teach these kids to do that."

The umpires should have put a stop to it. A couple of 50 metre penalties and they wouldn't do it again.

Based on other hits in the AFL, at minimum this is unduly rough play and Cameron must go.

SonofScray
06-07-2013, 10:03 PM
This is what Sheedy said:

The umpires should have put a stop to it. A couple of 50 metre penalties and they wouldn't do it again.

Based on other hits in the AFL, at minimum this is unduly rough play and Cameron must go.

The day he dies, and it can't come soon enough, will be a good day for football. Can't believe this bloke's opinions on anything are treated like they matter by the media and AFL industry.

AndrewP6
06-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Terrible news for JJ. Wishimg him all the best.

Bulldog4life
06-07-2013, 10:33 PM
;)
The day he dies, and it can't come soon enough, will be a good day for football. Can't believe this bloke's opinions on anything are treated like they matter by the media and AFL industry.

I take it you don't like Sheeds.:) Tried to take the little smiling next to JJ season which was put in by mistake on phone. Not sure how to do it.

G-Mo77
06-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Cameron never looked at the ball.

boydogs
06-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Terrible news, wishing him a full and speedy recovery

LostDoggy
06-07-2013, 11:40 PM
Cameron lined him up. Don't think he should go for the injury as that's a legal hit. What isn't is the fact he also got JJ in the head and that result should see Cameron gone.

The Bulldogs Bite
07-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Regardless of whether he lined him up or not, he owes a duty of care to the opposition player putting his head over the ball. He should absolutely be suspended.

Remi Moses
07-07-2013, 03:57 AM
Terribly disappointing news.
He won't get suspended for that .( on first view)
The other kid will get time

comrade
07-07-2013, 09:07 AM
They should throw the book at him.

JJ had his head firmly over the ball and therefore had right of way. Cameron had other options (which the commentary team disgracefully tried to dismiss) but decided to brace himself and crunch into JJ. They only possible result was JJ suffering an injury.

Now he's out for the season and Cameron should be made to pay.

My gut feeling is that Cameron is a bit of a golden egg to the AFL and they'll do what they can to reduce any punishment.

Topdog
07-07-2013, 09:19 AM
All these conspiracy theories get on my nerve. Cameron will be out for 3-4 weeks at least.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 09:24 AM

JJ had his head firmly over the ball and therefore had right of way. Cameron had other options (which the commentary team disgracefully tried to dismiss) but decided to brace himself and crunch into JJ.

The commentary on the incident was comical. They did everything to paint Cameron in positive light and neglected to address the limp JJ on the ground.

You'd have thought it was JJ that was in the wrong ffs.

soupman
07-07-2013, 09:37 AM
The commentary on the incident was comical. They did everything to paint Cameron in positive light and neglected to address the limp JJ on the ground.

You'd have thought it was JJ that was in the wrong ffs.

They are a joke.

Love to make excuses for players actions, no matter how reckless, and especially if they like them. If you listen to them Campbell Brown is a top bloke and a true tough footballer whose dirty acts are just part of the fun and don't contain any malive or hurtful intent.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 10:15 AM
I really need to watch this again cause from what I saw I don't think he'll even get 1 week. I'll hold judgement till then.
He looked to go in hard and yes bump the player out of the contest, which you are allowed to do, and looked like a head clash? ................. Bugger it, I'll go have another look.

mighty_west
07-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Was a very brutal hit that's for sure, he could have easily tackled or gone for the ball as it was still on the ground when he just wentt straight in for the kill (so to speak), definite head contact, should get 2-3 weeks.

always right
07-07-2013, 10:49 AM
JJ was first to the ball with his head over it. Cameron was reckless...pure and simple...and whilst the main contact was to JJ's shoulder, there was also contact to his head. Don't let the fact he broke his collarbone fool you. You don't get carried off on a stretcher because of a broken collarbone. Cameron being second to the contest had a choice....he chose to bump and should wear the consequences.

Cyberdoggie
07-07-2013, 10:50 AM
They should throw the book at him.

JJ had his head firmly over the ball and therefore had right of way. Cameron had other options (which the commentary team disgracefully tried to dismiss) but decided to brace himself and crunch into JJ. They only possible result was JJ suffering an injury.

Now he's out for the season and Cameron should be made to pay.

My gut feeling is that Cameron is a bit of a golden egg to the AFL and they'll do what they can to reduce any punishment.

Well put, i certainly think he lined him up. It was a reckless act with only one objective, which was to crunch our playmaker.

SlimPickens
07-07-2013, 10:52 AM
I really need to watch this again cause from what I saw I don't think he'll even get 1 week. I'll hold judgement till then.
He looked to go in hard and yes bump the player out of the contest, which you are allowed to do, and looked like a head clash? ................. Bugger it, I'll go have another look.

That's my thought as well, there is no doubt he intended to go hard and take the body but his technique is pretty much what the afl is advocating.

It sucks that JJ got injured but we would be salivating If that hit was done by one of our players rather than theres.

Topdog
07-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Honestly if people believe the AFL are advocating that you are living in a different World to me. No attempt on the ball whatsoever.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/15/gws-v-wb

5th video in. Cameron in trouble is its title.

JJ even has a hand on the ball when it happens.

Doc26
07-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Really feel for JJ and wish him a speedy recovery and although, like Moz, I was immediately angry at the time of the incident on reflection it wasn't too much different to last season's clash between Dangerfield and Marc Murphy, with Murphy suffering a similar injury to JJ. Will be difficult to prove that Cameron had no intent for winning the ball and shows that the game is still brutal at times when played on the edge of the AFL's sanitised rule book.

Topdog
07-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Murphy and Dangerfield got to the ball at the same time. Both had eyes on the ball and neither stopped. Its nothing like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSRM-2mKYM

anfo27
07-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Honestly if people believe the AFL are advocating that you are living in a different World to me. No attempt on the ball whatsoever.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/15/gws-v-wb

5th video in. Cameron in trouble is its title.

JJ even has a hand on the ball when it happens.

Just watched the replay & he has to go for that. JJ was wide open & picking the ball up, you can't just take players out like that. I'd think he would be looking at a 3-4 week holiday.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Duty of care.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 01:14 PM
If Stevie J got 2 weeks, Cameron can book in for end of year surgery now. Didn't even think of going for the ball. As for Taylor Adams, doesn't surprise me one bit he's been up on assault before. Very interested to see how many they get. Speedy recovery and pre season for JJ.

SlimPickens
07-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Murphy and Dangerfield got to the ball at the same time. Both had eyes on the ball and neither stopped. Its nothing like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTSRM-2mKYM

Possibly more like the Hodge Murphy hit? Choosing to bump gave him a duty of care which means he is in trouble. He didnt however leave the ground nor did he make contact with the head with shoulder or hip, he kept his arms down and turned his body.

comrade
07-07-2013, 02:11 PM
Possibly more like the Hodge Murphy hit? Choosing to bump gave him a duty of care which means he is in trouble. He didnt however leave the ground nor did he make contact with the head with shoulder or hip, he kept his arms down and turned his body.

He didn't need to leave the ground. JJ's head was at hip level and Cameron took the opportunity to crunch him rather than won the ball or corral him.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Well put, i certainly think he lined him up. It was a reckless act with only one objective, which was to crunch our playmaker.

Just watching the replay today and I agree with the above. Reckless play for the man - didn't look at the ball at all. This is the first time I've ever watched this franchise play. Don't like them at all. Smell of that old dinosaur Sheedy. Speedy recovery for JJ and a holiday for that other person.

boydogs
07-07-2013, 04:11 PM
This will be an interesting one for the MRP. Not going for the ball but it was within 5 metres, correct technique but the player wasn't expecting contact, didn't leave the ground but it was somewhat front on and got him high. I think he'll go, and given the nature of the damage it could be for a month.

SonofScray
07-07-2013, 04:55 PM
I just got home from Canberra and watched the replay. Not as malicious as I had first interpreted, to the point that I'd love it if we dished out hits like that every week. The weeks we cop would be well earned.

That being said, it does deserve weeks. Not because JJ was injured, which as a matter of point should NEVER be a factor, but because he hit the player high, had no intent to win the football and failed to execute the skill in a fashion that avoided head high contact.

Intentional, head high, high level of impact.

SlimPickens
07-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I just got home from Canberra and watched the replay. Not as malicious as I had first interpreted, to the point that I'd love it if we dished out hits like that every week. The weeks we cop would be well earned.

That being said, it does deserve weeks. Not because JJ was injured, which as a matter of point should NEVER be a factor, but because he hit the player high, had no intent to win the football and failed to execute the skill in a fashion that avoided head high contact.

Intentional, head high, high level of impact.

How I see it, an interesting point in the commentary was they brought up the fact it was his only option at the speed he was traveling (obviously a tackle wasn't an option:rolleyes:). He certainly couldn't drop to his knees as the AFL have forbid it. The fact his shoulder collected JJ's head should have him suspended. These physical contests we don't want removed from the game.

boydogs
07-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Not because JJ was injured, which as a matter of point should NEVER be a factor

The AFL do consider it. My thoughts are a prediction of what the AFL will do, not what I think they should do.

chef
07-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Seem a fair bump to me at the time, just unfortunate that JJ got injured.

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 08:19 PM

Agreed. Sad to see JJ out for the season but if it was Liam Jones crunching a dangerous opposition player we'd be bouncing off the walls. If I recall correctly Cam Mooney actually said he wants to instill such aggressiveness in our own forwards.

bornadog
07-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Agreed. Sad to see JJ out for the season but if it was Liam Jones crunching a dangerous opposition player we'd be bouncing off the walls. If I recall correctly Cam Mooney actually said he wants to instill such aggressiveness in our own forwards.

The head is sacrosanct - full stop.!

LostDoggy
07-07-2013, 10:22 PM

Was there direct contact to the head? From what I saw JJ's shoulder took the entire impact.

bornadog
08-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Was there direct contact to the head? From what I saw JJ's shoulder took the entire impact.

He was concussed . If it was just a shoulder you don't need a stretcher.

boydogs
08-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Rewatch it, post 30

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 12:33 AM
He was concussed . If it was just a shoulder you don't need a stretcher.

Was he?
I assumed the lying still and stretcher was due to the neck pain? Has JJ made any comment yet?

chef
08-07-2013, 07:07 AM

It was a head clash.

What's Cameron meant to do, not go for the ball?

He did everything right IMO, got down low and bumped him on the shoulder(which caused the injury). It's just unfortunate that there heads banged together.

jeemak
08-07-2013, 11:31 AM
It was a head clash.

What's Cameron meant to do, not go for the ball?

He did everything right IMO, got down low and bumped him on the shoulder(which caused the injury). It's just unfortunate that there heads banged together.

The AFL has explicitly said that if you decide to bump and there is head high contact of any sort you are culpable. Whether your head hits your opponent, your shoulder or your knee it doesn't matter.

Whether it's right or wrong, they're the rules that everyone has to play by. In light of that and JJ's vulnerability at the time, Cameron should be done for four weeks.

Sedat
08-07-2013, 11:42 AM
The AFL has explicitly said that if you decide to bump and there is head high contact of any sort you are culpable. Whether your head hits your opponent, your shoulder or your knee it doesn't matter.

Whether it's right or wrong, they're the rules that everyone has to play by. In light of that and JJ's vulnerability at the time, Cameron should be done for four weeks.
Yep, and the tribunal has also then cleared Lindsay Thomas and Luke Hodge when both chose to make body contact and made head contact. The MRP continues to be chook lotto, and there could easily be a legitimate case to mount for Cameron to get anywhere between zero weeks or 6 weeks.

From my perspective, if I saw a Cordy or Jones doing that and having the same result, I would be ecstatic with their fierce commitment to the contest. I have no problem at all with what Cameron did on the weekend. These are split second incidents that, when captured frame by frame, completely disregard the warp speed that they occur in.

Maddog37
08-07-2013, 11:54 AM
I thought he had eyes for the player and not the ball.

Topdog
08-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Hodge went for the ball Cameron did not

Ghost Dog
08-07-2013, 12:30 PM
Sheedy is a man with a vision. Part coach, part marketeer; Love him or hate him we have indigenous round because of him.
He's decided that the two wests should become bitter rivals, and instructed his players to fly the flag of war on the weekend to get the ball rolling. The pattern of play has his style written all over it.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Sorry I haven't read these posts, just scanned enough to know some think there was no malice or intent to attack, just going for the ball.
You would have to be kidding.
The speed at which he impacted JJ was too great to represent an attack on a stationery ball which JJ was over. He lined him up and positioned his body as if going for the ball. It was an assault by a skillful player IMHO.
I'll go back and read all of youse now.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
If JJ hadn't been there, Cameron would have have ended up significantly past the contest. His speed he had generated was clearly prolonged to impact Johannisen. He lined Johannisen up, knocked him out, broke his collarbone and ended his season.
It is assault and I would be happy if the police prosecuted him if it could be proved. Just like I was happy when Leigh Matthews was prosecuted. Terry Wallace was assaulted by Grinter with a fist. We've all seen assault on the football field. I played in the amateurs and we had a player who would show up to assault someone he had a grudge against. I was assaulted after dishing off a handball. I see no difference between these assaults and common assault. The intention is to damage.
Cameron lined up Johannisen and hit him with enough momentum to do spinal injury, brain injury or break a bone. Hello he broke Johannisen's bone. Johannisen and Cameron were lucky that the collarbone seems to be the worst of it. There is no part in our game for willful damage or its apologist, careless contact.

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 02:39 PM
If JJ hadn't been there, Cameron would have have ended up significantly past the contest. His speed he had generated was clearly prolonged to impact Johannisen. He lined Johannisen up, knocked him out, broke his collarbone and ended his season.
It is assault and I would be happy if the police prosecuted him if it could be proved. Just like I was happy when Leigh Matthews was prosecuted. Terry Wallace was assaulted by Grinter with a fist. We've all seen assault on the football field. I played in the amateurs and we had a player who would show up to assault someone he had a grudge against. I was assaulted after dishing off a handball. I see no difference between these assaults and common assault. The intention is to damage.
Cameron lined up Johannisen and hit him with enough momentum to do spinal injury, brain injury or break a bone. Hello he broke Johannisen's bone. Johannisen and Cameron were lucky that the collarbone seems to be the worst of it. There is no part in our game for willful damage or its apologist, careless contact.

I don't normally don't like when gifs are used as a response but I think this post needs it.

http://www.investireoggi.it/forum/attachments/piazza-affari/36718d1258042976-7-chili-7-giorni-applause.gif

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Chris Grant lost a Brownlow because of careless contact. Can those who think what Cameron did was OK, please have a beer with Ian Collins and share sensibilities.

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 06:13 PM
Chris Grant lost a Brownlow because of careless contact. Can those who think what Cameron did was OK, please have a beer with Ian Collins and share sensibilities.

Can't believe all the people saying Cameron was going for the ball, for such a skillful player he didn't get near it, he saw an open unprotected player and took him out.

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2013, 09:30 PM
Can't believe all the people saying Cameron was going for the ball, for such a skillful player he didn't get near it, he saw an open unprotected player and took him out.

Spot on.