PDA

View Full Version : Future looks bright for Tutt at Dogs

bornadog
08-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Link (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/future-looks-bright-for-tutt-at-dogs-20130707-2pkes.html)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/ng-artn-tutt-20130707215942456894-300x0_zpsc81eb6df.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/ng-artn-tutt-20130707215942456894-300x0_zpsc81eb6df.jpg.html)

Western Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney thinks Jason Tutt's goal-kicking will be a crucial cog in his rebuilding side.
The former Ainslie player has struggled to establish himself in the Bulldogs seniors since making a blistering debut in 2011.
He went into the history books after kicking three goals with his first three AFL kicks and played an important role in the Bulldogs' come-from-behind win against Greater Western Sydney at Manuka Oval on Saturday.

It was his first AFL game on his old stomping ground and he kicked one goal in the opening term before kicking his second to start the Doggies' comeback from an eight-point deficit in the last to edge out the Giants by four points.

Injuries have played a part in limiting Tutt's AFL appearances to 13 in three seasons. He missed a large part of last year due to continual hamstring problems, as well as damaging his medial ligament.
But he's put them behind him and has played almost every game in either the AFL or with VFL side Williamstown this year.
Tutt's contract expires at the end of the season, but he has the chance to establish himself with the final eight games of this season.

McCartney felt Tutt would ''take a bit of pressure off'' cult hero Luke Dahlhaus, whose dreadlocks and undoubted goal-sneak qualities make him a fan favourite.
''He's a work in progress, Tutty, he missed pretty much all last year, he's a local Canberra kid, he's got real attributes that we want to add to our team and there's other things in his game that he's chipping away at,'' McCartney said.

''And as you build a team he complements a Clay Smith, he complements a Mitch Wallis, they all fit together and when they learn their responsibilities and positions, and get a little bit fitter and stronger, will be able to play more competitively against the stronger sides.
''But we know there's a bit of work to go.''

Tutt was flattered with the praise from his coach and was hopeful with a string of games under his belt he could develop into the player McCartney wants him to be. The 22-year-old enjoyed a better result on Manuka than his last game there.
He vividly remembered Belconnen forward Brock Weston kicking the winning goal in the AFL Canberra grand final when he was playing for Ainslie in 2009.

And he had fears of a repeat as the Giants pressed in the final quarter.
GWS had several clear-cut chances, firstly with defender Curtly Hampton and then onballer Dylan Shiel both squandering goal-scoring chances during time-on.
But the Dogs held on to record a much-needed win.

''It was good, I didn't mind it out there [on Manuka]. It definitely brought back a few memories of playing here before,'' Tutt told The Canberra Times.
''They got a bit too close for comfort there.
''It was good to have a win and the boys stuck at it.
''It's always reassuring to get some positive feedback, especially from [McCartney] and the assistant coaches as well.

''I feel I have [done enough to keep my spot], but we'll see what happens.''
Tutt spent Sunday in Canberra with friends and family, and watched his old team Ainslie comfortably beat Sydney Uni in the NEAFL eastern conference.

Bulldog4life
08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
He certainly is the outside type we are looking for. A bit of speed and can kick a goal. Hope he can keep on improving.

Remi Moses
08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Gotta agree that having Tutt in the side took a bit of pressure of Luke.
Gotta be cleaner with the ball to make it, but I think he'll be maintained.

anfo27
08-07-2013, 04:39 PM
Sounds like he will get another contract. Like we all he know Jason has the attributes we desperately need so fingers crossed he can continually improve & eventually cement a spot in the team.

azabob
08-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Sounds like he will get another contract. Like we all he know Jason has the attributes we desperately need so fingers crossed he can continually improve & eventually cement a spot in the team.

Not sure about that.

The jurno is from Canberra and pushed Macca a couple of times on Tutt and tried to get him to say something positive.

anfo27
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Not sure about that.

The jurno is from Canberra and pushed Macca a couple of times on Tutt and tried to get him to say something positive.

Macca doesn't seem the type to give praise to players just because he is being led down that path by a journo. The fact that he is playing says to me he is in maccas plans. As we saw last year with Panos, if you're not in his plans you're not going to play. The same can be said for Grant & Vez this year.