PDA

View Full Version : Should we upgrade some rookies?

bornadog
08-07-2013, 02:42 PM
We now have three players on the long term injury list and if you count Wood, four. Is it time to elavate a couple of rookies and see how they go.

Specifically: Jong, Greenwood and Redpath. At this stage I wouldn't be upgrading Austin.

Jong has shown a bit in the backline, certainly has speed, decision making needs working on. Alex Greenwood, is raw but has played some good games and Redpath can be trialled at Fullback and therefore releasing Roughead to play forward/Second ruck?

Thoughts?

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Austin is already elevated isn't he? If he's back on the Rookie list it's a no from me.

Jong will get a game before the season ends. I have very little doubt on that.

Redpath? Well why not? Really what do we have to lose? He's gone to the back half in the VFL and has done pretty well from reports.

Greenwood again why not.

I'd still like to see what Fletch has to offer as well as maybe Prudden (when healthy), Pearce will also likely get a call up very soon. However if a rookie is playing good footy then I don't see why not leapfrog the listed players.

The only positive out of these LTI's is the ripple effect it will cause. It will get some of our players in the VFL seniors where they belong.

azabob
08-07-2013, 03:06 PM
Honestly I'm not sure what point of difference Jong offers us? He has no regard for his safety and needs to work on his decision making and disposal.

Without having seen Redpath only reading the thoughts of posters and German it is hard to tell what to do with him. By all accounts he is going well as a defender so why not try him?

Redpath is the only one I would consider, and even with him Im not sure he is worth a shot. As another poster said Roberts should get a go before big Jack.

bornadog
08-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Honestly I'm not sure what point of difference Jong offers us? He has no regard for his safety and needs to work on his decision making and disposal.

He does crack in :D

Seriously though, he has speed, goes in hard and showed he can play at this level. With JJ going down we do need some speed coming out of the backline. Down side is his disposal.

azabob
08-07-2013, 03:12 PM
He does crack in :D

Seriously though, he has speed, goes in hard and showed he can play at this level. With JJ going down we do need some speed coming out of the backline. Down side is his disposal.

Good point about his pace. Hopefully he has worked on his disposal over summer.

How we long for the days and precision kicking of Gilbee, Hargrave and the like...

bulldogtragic
08-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't say I'm against it. But I would like to know what attributes they possess which is not currently on the list. If they have something we don't have, then it's very little risk for potential reward.

westdog54
08-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Good point about his pace. Hopefully he has worked on his disposal over summer.

How we long for the days and precision kicking of Gilbee, Hargrave and the like...

Its worth noting that Young is still to come back and the composure and decision making he showed early on has, in my view, been greatly missed.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Lin getting another crack and what Big Jack is capable of.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2013, 09:51 PM
If Redpath can have a few more reasonable games at VFL level and continue to work on a few areas of his game I wouldn't be against getting him into the senior side to see how he can handle himself at the next level up.

Jong I think is still a while off being a player at AFL level, but again, if his form warrants it over the next few weeks I can see merit in him getting a game as he has the physical attributes that could see him become a player. I'm just as happy for him to continue to develop at VFL level though.

Greenwood must still be someway off for mine. He ticks a few boxes, but at his size he really needs to be knocking the door down and I don't think he's quite there yet and I think his physical attributes make him less likely to succeed at the higher level. Again though, if his form is good over the next few weeks why not.

The reality is, we don't have much to lose at the moment but I think we must only give games to those we see have some potential to play senior footy next year and if we believe that getting some games into them this year will be of significant benefit to their development.

boydogs
08-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Jong I think is still a while off being a player at AFL level

I thought he was good in the NAB cup

F'scary
09-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Lin "Kamikaze" Jong-Il and Jack "The Widow-Maker" Redpath should both be promoted. They have attracted good nick-names which is a strong indicator of quality as a footballer.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2013, 12:10 AM
No to all but Redpath.

If he performs well over the next two weeks, we don't have much to lose by throwing him into the deep end.

bornadog
21-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Looks like Goodes has a suspected broken arm and will be out for the season.

We are fast losing options for guys to come into the team as replacements.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd only do it if they are going to get multiple games this year. If any of the rookies aren't in contention for games in a row, it's a pointless exercise.

Happy Days
21-07-2013, 03:11 PM
Talia mentioned on SEN after his rising star nomination that he thought Redpath would get a chance at sme stage.

F'scary
21-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Looks like Goodes has a suspected broken arm and will be out for the season.

We are fast losing options for guys to come into the team as replacements.

Bring on the Widow-Maker.

G-Mo77
21-07-2013, 03:14 PM
He's on the shelf as well. I don't think we'll see him at all.

Hotdog60
21-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Would Jong be worth another go, he leaves nothing on the table but will need to put some reasonable games in the VFL first. Maybe time is against him.