PDA

View Full Version : Hargy / Morris future...

Topdog
12-10-2007, 08:56 AM
What do people think about their future with the club?

With the development of Williams and Everitt in the backline the need for them to play on some of the taller forwards is not really there anymore, which could be a good thing for him.

With Morris, Gilbee and Hargy taking up the other 3 spots I believe we will be looking for someone to else with a bit more pace to come off the backline. Unless we radically change our gameplan I can't see them both staying in the backline for too much longer.

GVGjr
12-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Morris will become the small defender to cover the guys McMahon normally plays on.
Hargrave I think should move to the wing so that we could use his pace on long kicking. Perhaps a move into the forward line might be in order for him as well.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Don't forget about our new cornerstone of defence, McDougall. And yes, I actually am being serious.

I think Hargrave will sometimes struggle for a good match up, and could come under pressure this year to hold his spot. Harris, Williams, Everitt, McDougall, Morris, Gilbee. Pretty decent, versatile backline.

Not sure where Hargrave's best spot is, to be honest. I'd like to use him as a hole plugging utility, wherever he is needed.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:51 PM
I could see Shaggy up forward, was alright there this year on occasion!

dog town
12-10-2007, 08:35 PM
I thought Hargrave had a fantastic year especially when the season was still alive. He is an extremely intelligent footballer and very adaptable so regardless of any positional changes I dont think he will struggle to hold his spot

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 10:13 PM
i think he made an improvement this year, which is good to see,
i find him v. entertaining as a player

Dogs 24/7
12-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Morris will stay as a defender and Hargrave could be used anywhere.I like our back half this year and would be reluctant to break it up to much.I think Morris can only play as a defender.

westdog54
13-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Don't forget about our new cornerstone of defence, McDougall. And yes, I actually am being serious.

I think Hargrave will sometimes struggle for a good match up, and could come under pressure this year to hold his spot. Harris, Williams, Everitt, McDougall, Morris, Gilbee. Pretty decent, versatile backline.

Not sure where Hargrave's best spot is, to be honest. I'd like to use him as a hole plugging utility, wherever he is needed.

For mine Shaggy is best suited as a running winger.

H'e's a very similar player to Jordie, rebound player, Plenty of pace and a great kick, except that, in the words of Guy Sebatian, he's "Taller, Stronger, Better"

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Could he do a lead-up role like O'Keefe does for the Swans?

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I could see Shaggy up forward, was alright there this year on occasion!

I like Dry Rots idea to try him as a lead up forward

I thought Hargrave had a fantastic year especially when the season was still alive. He is an extremely intelligent footballer and very adaptable so regardless of any positional changes I dont think he will struggle to hold his spot

I agree that he is an intelligent footballer of knows when to leave his man and create some run for us. The downside is he does give away a few too many free kicks in the back line.

Sockeye Salmon
14-10-2007, 11:47 AM
I like Dry Rots idea to try him as a lead up forward

From what I've seen I'd say he has no bloogy idea on how to play forward. Leads to the wrong spots too often. I'd rather try Wight.

I agree that he is an intelligent footballer of knows when to leave his man and create some run for us. The downside is he does give away a few too many free kicks in the back line.

Shaggy gives away frees because the disgraceful current rules make it impossible for anyone smaller than their opponent to complete. Steve Kretiuk could not play AFL footy today.

easybeat
15-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Hi guy's
I agree with Dry Rots as well. I would love to see Shaggy tested in the forward line (on the flank).

Topdog
15-10-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi guy's
I agree with Dry Rots as well. I would love to see Shaggy tested in the forward line (on the flank).

Whilst I like the idea, who do you guys see him replacing?

Dry Rot
15-10-2007, 03:14 PM
Whilst I like the idea, who do you guys see him replacing?

Arguably we have 3 natural forwards: Johnno, Higgins and Gia (Murphy and Aker can play down back just as well)

Leaves 3 spots between Hahn, Skipper, now Minson, Tiller, Murphy and Aker. And possibly Hargrave.

IMO we need at least two talls down there, and Hargrave > Skipper, Tiller and Minson.

rapidshave
15-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I'd like to see Hargrave play on the wing, he is damaging on the run and can get it down long to our lead up forwards.

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I'd like to see Hargrave play on the wing, he is damaging on the run and can get it down long to our lead up forwards.

Hargrave is a terrific shot for goal, there aren't many he misses, if he sneaks forward and has a few seconds to way up the situation he generally finishes well both on the run, and snaps.

Its been very rare that we have ever played him as a forward for any length of time - if we didn't have Johnson I think he could probably be a reasonable full forward, but would need space to lead into etc

We may miss him his kickouts as the major reliever to Gilbee, but I guess Griffen may pick up some of that slack also.

FrediKanoute
19-10-2007, 04:00 AM
Personally I'd leave Hargy at the back and move Everitt forward. He is too good a footballer to be playing defence. He is more natually creative than Hargy and better skilled.

westdog54
25-10-2007, 04:01 PM
Hargrave is a terrific shot for goal, there aren't many he misses, if he sneaks forward and has a few seconds to way up the situation he generally finishes well both on the run, and snaps.

His running goal against Collingwood was one of our clubs goals of the year IMO.

BulldogBelle
25-10-2007, 11:55 PM
His running goal against Collingwood was one of our clubs goals of the year IMO.

I just love it when Hargrave makes his move from down back and you just can sense that he is ready to do one of those running goals. I really enjoy watching him take that risk and especially if it pays off. He is a good person off the field aswell, quite funny.

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 07:52 PM
hargrave is a very similiar player to the west coast eagles adam hunter in that he is a great defender but can also sneak forward and kick a goal and provide good drive. I think with williams developing and harris holding down the full back position hargrave will become an even better player because he wont be battling out of his weight division and he won't be playing on the oppositions second best tall forward, which will let him create more.

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Hunter is slightly stronger in the body and can take a good grab. Hargrave is a good runner and can kick. I think Adam Hunter is over rated. Everyone carries on when he kicks goals from the backline, but he very rarely beats a 'good' opponent. eg Rocca 3rd quarter semi final.

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 08:06 PM
i think his a great footballer with a great footy brain

LostDoggy
26-10-2007, 10:02 PM
hargrave is a very similiar player to the west coast eagles adam hunter in that he is a great defender but can also sneak forward and kick a goal and provide good drive. I think with williams developing and harris holding down the full back position hargrave will become an even better player because he wont be battling out of his weight division and he won't be playing on the oppositions second best tall forward, which will let him create more.

Sorry SOTW but it's a bit hard to read with everything in lower case but yes there are some similarities between Hargrave and Hunter. Hunter though is a far more explosive power player than Hargrave.
Shaggy is at his most damaging when he peels of his oppenent and pushes forward

LostDoggy
27-10-2007, 12:45 AM
What do you mean by "eplosive power player"?

GVGjr
27-10-2007, 12:49 AM
What do you mean by "eplosive power player"?

My guess it's a reflection that Hunter is a power player who does things on the burst whereas Hargrave is more of a smooth mover who uses guile to set up rebounding options.

LostDoggy
27-10-2007, 12:56 AM
The one who i can't see slotting in next year is Dylan Addison,i just don't see a spot in the team for him. Any thoughts?

FrediKanoute
27-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Tough one. Many rate him, but I'm yet to be convinced. yes he is tough and hard at the football, but for mine he doesn't get it often enough and when he does he doesn't use it well enough. Has time to develop, but I think the next 2 years will tell. Tim Callan coming hasn't helped his cause.

southerncross
27-10-2007, 08:13 AM
The one who i can't see slotting in next year is Dylan Addison,i just don't see a spot in the team for him. Any thoughts?

He is behind a few others no doubt but I'm sure he will works his way into the side next season and from there who knows. I think what others see in him is that he attacks the ball and is a very good runner. A spot in defence either next season or the one after that is a real chance.

southerncross
27-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Tough one. Many rate him, but I'm yet to be convinced. yes he is tough and hard at the football, but for mine he doesn't get it often enough and when he does he doesn't use it well enough. Has time to develop, but I think the next 2 years will tell. Tim Callan coming hasn't helped his cause.

Agree that he is behind a few others and especially Callan but thats a good thing for him in the longer run.