PDA

View Full Version : MRP - a Joke

bornadog
08-07-2013, 04:49 PM
WEST Coast defender Patrick McGinnity, Adelaide big man Shaun McKernan, Port Adelaide forward Justin Westhoff and Greater Western Sydney midfielder Taylor Adams are all facing a stint on the sidelines after being offered suspensions by the Match Review Panel.

McGinnity faces a three-match ban for his sling tackle on Crows onballer Bernie Vince, while McKernan can accept a three-game suspension for elbowing Eagles midfielder Brad Sheppard. Westoff and Adams have both been offered one-match bans.

But there's good news for Giants key forward Jeremy Cameron, Brisbane Lions co-captain Jonathan Brown and Hawthorn star Sam Mitchell.

They were all involved in incidents that were assessed, but all three were cleared of any wrongdoing.

They are surely joking

bulldogtragic
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
They are surely joking
Can't say I'm overly surprised, except that McKernan should have got 4 at least.

Mantis
08-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Can't believe Adams only got one week for a behind the play punch... Pathetic.

Cameron's was very much line ball over if he gets weeks, but he should have least been given a reprimand.

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 04:56 PM
You're better off hitting someone behind play nowdays than accidentally collecting someone in the head. Simpkin from St. Kilda threw a haymaker and got only 2 weeks for it. If you are deliberately trying to hit someone, especially off the ball then it should be judged much more harshly.

Dumbfounded by these results. What a joke!

jeemak
08-07-2013, 04:57 PM
I'm not surprised.

anfo27
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Surprised with that. Cameron seemed to me he was clearly NOT going for the ball & Hodge clearly was going for the ball. Are the MRP saying if someone is picking up the ball they are fair game to be taken out?

wimberga
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
AFL reasoning:

Taylor Adams, GWS Giants, has been charged with a level three striking offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for striking Adam Cooney, Western Bulldogs, during the second quarter of the round 15 match between the GWS Giants and the Western Bulldogs, played at Manuka Oval on Saturday July 6, 2013.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct (three points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a level three offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.

And Cameron:

Contact between the GWS Giants' Jeremy Cameron and the Western Bulldogs' Jason Johannisen from the third quarter of Saturday's match was assessed. The ball was loose in front of Johannisen as Cameron was coming to the contest from an angle. As the player came together, Cameron had his arms down in front of him in a bid to win the ball and makes forceful contact to Johannisen's shoulder, while there is also a head clash. After viewing all available footage, it was the view of the panel that Cameron did not a realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

bornadog
08-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Can't believe Adams only got one week for a behind the play punch... Pathetic.

Cameron's was very much line ball over if he gets weeks, but he should have least been given a reprimand.

Zieball says hello

YGRb28t2Iik

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 05:02 PM
I'm not surprised.

I really shouldn't be either.

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 05:06 PM
Maybe if Cooney pressed charges, Adams may have broken his good behavior bond?

chef
08-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Joke about Adams, agree that Cameron shouldn't have got anything.

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
AFL reasoning:

Taylor Adams, GWS Giants, has been charged with a level three striking offence (225 demerit points, two-match sanction) for striking Adam Cooney, Western Bulldogs, during the second quarter of the round 15 match between the GWS Giants and the Western Bulldogs, played at Manuka Oval on Saturday July 6, 2013.

In summary, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs Football Club, the incident was assessed as intentional conduct (three points), low impact (one point) and high contact (two points). This is a total of six activation points, resulting in a classification of a level three offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has no existing good or bad record. An early plea reduces the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction.

And Cameron:

Contact between the GWS Giants' Jeremy Cameron and the Western Bulldogs' Jason Johannisen from the third quarter of Saturday's match was assessed. The ball was loose in front of Johannisen as Cameron was coming to the contest from an angle. As the player came together, Cameron had his arms down in front of him in a bid to win the ball and makes forceful contact to Johannisen's shoulder, while there is also a head clash. After viewing all available footage, it was the view of the panel that Cameron did not a realistic alternative way to contest the ball. No further action was taken.

Adams decision is fair he didn't hit Cooney as cleanly as he wanted to, the impact looked a bit low in the end, while the Cameron footage is hard to judge.

Mantis
08-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Zieball says hello

YGRb28t2Iik

Those incidents are nothing alike... Very poor example.

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 05:22 PM
Adams decision is fair he didn't hit Cooney as cleanly as he wanted to, the impact looked a bit low in the end, while the Cameron footage is hard to judge.

So because he didn't hit him cleanly he gets off lighter? Seriously? :confused:

BornInDroopSt'54
08-07-2013, 05:28 PM
AFL reasoning:

A whitewash that is completely squeaky clean If looked at only from point of contact. Ignored is the obvious intent to charge Johannisen and the head high contact. I feel sick and disgusted by this. The force of impact was because he was travelling at speed to crunch Johannisen and the hands went down a la Hodge to simulate a legitimate attempt to gather the ball. I wonder if this manouevre is practised at training. It would have to be.
The judiciary must become aware that this current interpretation allows for a charge of violent proportions, such as this Cameron/Johannisen case, to be sanctioned even if the intent is to charge the player.

comrade
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
So if Cameron had crunched JJ only a fraction higher and put him in a wheelchair, he'd still get off because he had no other options?

What little faith we have in the AFL is being eroded by bogus decisions like these.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2013, 05:30 PM
So because he didn't hit him cleanly he gets off lighter? Seriously? :confused:
Yeah I'm confused by 'gradings'':

- That is 168.75 points for a calculated hit on another defenceless player
- Using the most extreme calculated hit, Hall on Staker, that was 790 points.
- I'm not for a second comparing them, except to say would he have got an extra 621.25 points if his intent was matched by full force.
- Surely the intent has got to count for more by the MRP

I'm confused by punching players, the NRL was publicly stoned for a one week ban in origin, yet the AFL isn't any better.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Adams is a pig, it's well known amongst the Geelong area.

Shame on the AFL for letting that slide. He had a closed fist and tried to knock Cooney out a few times, finally achieving so with the one behind the head. How in the world can he only get one week for that?

The AFL is a joke on so many levels. At least they are drug free though, right?

Remi Moses
08-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Chook lotto

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 05:49 PM
So if Cameron had crunched JJ only a fraction higher and put him in a wheelchair, he'd still get off because he had no other options?

What little faith we have in the AFL is being eroded by bogus decisions like these.

Could not agree more, Cameron may have been originally been going for the ball but by the time he got to JJ he just charged straight at him, JJ had literally no way of protecting himself. Cameron never got near the ball!

Not surprised at all that he got off, after all it was only a dogs player who is now out for the season!!:mad: ( I know everyone will think that's stupid but that was exactly how I felt it would play out).

What happened with Reid's hit on Libba?

Ozza
08-07-2013, 05:51 PM
The Taylor Adams decision is farcical. He punched another player in the head - behind the play!

I don't know where to start with how bad that decision is - and what message that sends to players and supporters.

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Clash of heads, cleared.

bulldogtragic
08-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Could not agree more, Cameron may have been originally been going for the ball but by the time he got to JJ he just charged straight at him, JJ had literally no way of protecting himself. Cameron never got near the ball!

Not surprised at all that he got off, after all it was only a dogs player who is now out for the season!!:mad: ( I know everyone will think that's stupid but that was exactly how I felt it would play out).

MRP: Contact between the GWS Giants' Sam Reid and the Western Bulldogs' Tom Liberatore from the second quarter of Saturday's match was assessed. Liberatore is chasing GWS player Curtly Hampton when Reid comes in to shepherd for his team mate. Reid delivers a legitimate shoulder to shoulder bump and there is a resulting clash of heads in the contact. A head clash, under the MRP guidelines, is deemed to be circumstances outside the control of the player which could not be reasonably foreseen. No further action was taken.

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 06:07 PM
Ok so similar to the Lindsay Thomas case, head clashes are ok, I thought the AFL came out once and said that if Gia's hit on Kosi happened now, he would be suspended. I must have misheard.

bornadog
08-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Clash of heads, cleared.

G-Mo77 - I still don't get this one. Reid comes across, intentionally bumps Libba off the ball (at least more than 5 -10 metres away), bumps him in the head. Was it clash of both heads? Even so, shouldn't there still be some sort of charge - very reckless? I can understand if two players are going for the ball and they both bump heads, but Reid came across and laid a shephard way off the ball?

Doc26
08-07-2013, 06:19 PM
The Taylor Adams decision is farcical. He punched another player in the head - behind the play!

I don't know where to start with how bad that decision is - and what message that sends to players and supporters.

And the MRP in their wisdom decides to whack Adam with a $900 fine for trying to protect himself from the flog. If I was Adam I'd send the fine straight to Sheedy's mailbox for inciting such rubbish behaviour.

@AFL_PKeane Adam Cooney can accept $900 for wrestling Taylor Adams. Taylor Adams can accept one match for striking Adam Cooney.

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 06:21 PM
G-Mo77 - I still don't get this one. Reid comes across, intentionally bumps Libba off the ball (at least more than 5 -10 metres away), bumps him in the head. Was it clash of both heads? Even so, shouldn't there still be some sort of charge - very reckless? I can understand if two players are going for the ball and they both bump heads, but Reid came across and laid a shephard way off the ball?

I thought it was a cheap shot. The ball was well on it's way off the boot and Reid picked him off. It was a clash of heads but still there didn't even need to be a sheppard at all.

jeemak
08-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I thought it was a cheap shot. The ball was well on it's way off the boot and Reid picked him off. It was a clash of heads but still there didn't even need to be a sheppard at all.

I thought Libba left himself open when he shouldn't have, which is something that's occuring across games more and more these days. Players don't expect to be hit just off the ball anymore.

G-Mo77
08-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I thought Libba left himself open when he shouldn't have, which is something that's occuring across games more and more these days. Players don't expect to be hit just off the ball anymore.

Yeah he probably should have braced for it but that doesn't change anything IMO. From memory Libba was blindsided, stopped his chase because the ball was kicked forward, Reid whacked into him.

mjp
08-07-2013, 06:32 PM
The Adams one was bad. Very disappointed at that decision.

I am actually pleased Cameron got off...those are the sort of collisions I think we all want to see in the game...I just wish they would assess them more consistently.

WBFC4FFC
08-07-2013, 06:38 PM
GWS were head-hunters out there on the weekend! The Coon-Dog copping a fine say's it all really given the actions of Reid, Adams and Cameron. The 2 weeks Goodes copped earlier this year held-up against these 3 actions from the weekend is farcical to say the least!!!!

Not surprised as the AFL has a habit this year of not kicking a team whilst they are down. How the Dee's lost no draft picks for tanking is a joke!

Sedat
08-07-2013, 06:45 PM
The Adams one was bad. Very disappointed at that decision.

I am actually pleased Cameron got off...those are the sort of collisions I think we all want to see in the game...I just wish they would assess them more consistently.
Well said on both counts, mjp. Players are drilled into them from a very early age to commit 100% at every contest - guess what, collisions will occur and players will get injured. The MRP is flawed in applying black and white criteria to grey incidents.

SonofScray
08-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Well said on both counts, mjp. Players are drilled into them from a very early age to commit 100% at every contest - guess what, collisions will occur and players will get injured. The MRP is flawed in applying black and white criteria to grey incidents.

Sort of agree. Players are also drilled into them that the bloke who puts his head over the footy will e protected.

I think the sort of collisions we want to see are the stand up, shepherds and bumps as players compete approaching the contest (Harbrow v Lewis, Kosi v Gia, Reid v Libba are great IMO). Not the type of Byron Pickett bump to the head of the bloke who goes to get the footy.

Beyond that the chook lotto nature of it all is just baffling and actually rewards shit behaviour all the while crucifying blokes who make a skill error or cause incidental contact in the process of executing legal skills of the game.

Flamethrower
08-07-2013, 06:59 PM
I am disgusted with the Adams verdict......it reminded me of the Barry Hall vs Brent Staker punch, off the ball and totally unprovoked. Baz got 10 weeks (reduced to 7 with an early guilty plea) because contact was to Staker's jaw and knocked him out.

Just because Coons was punched to the back of the head and was lucky not to end up with a fractured skull, doesn't mean that the suspension should be less.

Go_Dogs
08-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Maybe it's because we're having a poor season, but I'm very much dismayed at the way the AFL handle these kinds of incidents - particularly the Adams one.

I know the club won't do anything about it, but it's one of those situations where I'd love for us to draw a line in the sand and tell them to *!*!*!*! off and ask them to review the decision.

Bumper Bulldogs
08-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Did anyone get fined for the melee after when we had both sides all in?

boydogs
08-07-2013, 09:47 PM
He had a closed fist and tried to knock Cooney out a few times, finally achieving so with the one behind the head. How in the world can he only get one week for that?

It was assessed as low impact, did he really knock him out? It sounds like they are calling Cooney a diver!

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 09:48 PM
AFL reasoning.

It's an oxymoron.

GWS were head-hunters out there on the weekend! The Coon-Dog copping a fine say's it all really given the actions of Reid, Adams and Cameron. The 2 weeks Goodes copped earlier this year held-up against these 3 actions from the weekend is farcical to say the least!!!!

Not surprised as the AFL has a habit this year of not kicking a team whilst they are down. How the Dee's lost no draft picks for tanking is a joke!

We're down, and this is as much of a kick as I've seen any team cop this year.

That Adams bastard is laughing his head off right now.

If there is any good of this, hopefully he doesn't learn his lesson, keeps doing it and gets worse penalties as the carry-over points pile up. The man is a coward. King hitting off field and on is a dogs act.

LostDoggy
08-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Great message by the tribunal ( one week ) when a new player Adams can hit a brownlow medallist behind play and then stand over him like a hero... back to the gang in the hood

bornadog
08-07-2013, 10:02 PM
How is this one:

McGinnity gets three weeks for a sling tackle, and McKernan gets two weeks for a dog act elbow to the head when the guy isn't even looking.

1eyedog
08-07-2013, 11:04 PM
Anyone who thinks Adams got Cooney with any force or impact is kidding themselves. You can see he collects Cooney almost at the back of the neck with his arm fully extended. There was no power in the blow. He almost pushed him over.

Coons took a dive to win a free kick and I thought Adams got his just deserves.

F'scary
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM
Chook lotto

Classic Aussie saying.

Dickie Knee on media reports that Mollie had had a wild party:

"How many people can fit in Molly's spa? - two...or four."

As for Adams, should have been two...or four.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2013, 01:41 AM

They even admitted he made contact to the head, so much for the head being sacrosanct!

Add to that a low impact punch from Adams??? If a low impact punch to the back of the neck can knock a player over then i'd hate to see a high impact one!

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Anyone who thinks Adams got Cooney with any force or impact is kidding themselves. You can see he collects Cooney almost at the back of the neck with his arm fully extended. There was no power in the blow. He almost pushed him over.

How can you throw a low impact hook?
If you could then you wouldn't even attempt it.

Bulldog Revolution
09-07-2013, 03:37 AM
How is this one:

McGinnity gets three weeks for a sling tackle, and McKernan gets two weeks for a dog act elbow to the head when the guy isn't even looking.

McKernans was a 5 weeker in my eyes

And whilst Adams may not have hit Cooney hard the message sent by the verdict is that you can punch a guy off the ball behind play and its a minor offence

SonofScray
09-07-2013, 09:35 AM
-BOzQwj4fSE

Here's a compilation of big hits someone has put together. How many of them involve a bloke being hit high, at full force while his head is down over the footy when he was first to the contest? Not many, if any.

In all the rage over the 'death of the bump,' the hysteria over 'the head is sacrosanct' and the pitch fork action against incidental contact, we've convinced ourselves that Cameron's hit is the sort of physical contest we want to see in the AFL, the type of thing we miss from the good old days.

Kids are taught that the umpires protect the bloke with his head over the footy. They protect the bloke who goes for the ball. How JJ didn't even get a free kick kick, let alone Cameron a holiday, it still astounds me.

Bob Murphy got two weeks for this one below, 'rough conduct' was the charge. It seems to me that 'rough conduct' is the rule they apply when they want to rub someone out where the laws of the game don't capture it, but only when it serves the AFL's interests. A bit like how a venue "reserves the right to refuse entry outside of conditions a-z"
3VKksEBogRU

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 09:46 AM

How can you dive when you're hit from behind? How would he time it?

soupman
09-07-2013, 10:07 AM
-BOzQwj4fSE

Here's a compilation of big hits someone has put together. How many of them involve a bloke being hit high, at full force while his head is down over the footy when he was first to the contest? Not many, if any.

I know what you are saying but way too many of them involve a player going the ball being taken out with ridiculous force, often from contact to the head, by a player that was never a realistic chance to be in the marking contest.

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 11:26 AM

Funny how the least biased, one eyed post on this topic comes from a member called 1eyedog. I agree that Cooney milked it, however with intent, being behind play, in the back of the head without him seeing it, the actions before and after, he should have got 2 weeks.
The most disappointing thing to me is the response of Coons teammates? Did nothing, in fact nothing happened till Cooney himself got up. Some of those guys need a look inside their chest.

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 11:31 AM
The most disappointing thing to me is the response of Coons teammates? Did nothing, in fact nothing happened till Cooney himself got up. Some of those guys need a look inside their chest.

agreed. Wallis was first on the scene and just pushed Adams. Would loved to have seen him rush in and shoulder charge him to the ground. Might not be in his nature, but we need these guys to show some team unity at some stage.

Maddog37
09-07-2013, 12:13 PM
When it is all said and done I hope our boys remember the way GWS played this game and give it back to them every chance we get from now on.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-07-2013, 03:59 PM
And the MRP in their wisdom decides to whack Adam with a $900 fine for trying to protect himself from the flog. If I was Adam I'd send the fine straight to 's mailbox for inciting such rubbish behaviour.

It's now certain Cooney will never marry Adams thereby avoiding becoming Adam Adams. Moreover MJP has gone right off MRP.

1eyedog
09-07-2013, 04:04 PM
How can you throw a low impact hook?
If you could then you wouldn't even attempt it.

Maybe he meant to get him better, so the intent was there but he didn't. I would counter with how can you miss the back of a head when you are facing someone from behind and king hitting them? He didn't want to hit him in the head.

How can you dive when you're hit from behind? How would he time it?

There was impact no doubt and IMO Cooney dropped forward when he felt it in an attempt to milk it.

Funny how the least biased, one eyed post on this topic comes from a member called 1eyedog. I agree that Cooney milked it, however with intent, being behind play, in the back of the head without him seeing it, the actions before and after, he should have got 2 weeks.

I'm not very one-eyed at all. I had a Blue Heeler as a kid and he only had one eye. I stuffed up my username and rather than 1eyeddog I called myself 1eyedog.

You are right on every count in your post. I was going to post up the same thing myself but didn't want to appear to be implying our players were piss weak. If you look at the footage the first thing that Will and Wally do is point at Adams and then look at the umpire.

Times a changed. I think they knew it was pretty soft, still...

immortalmike
09-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Maybe he meant to get him better, so the intent was there but he didn't. I would counter with how can you miss the back of a head when you are facing someone from behind and king hitting them? He didn't want to hit him in the head.

There was impact no doubt and IMO Cooney dropped forward when he felt it in an attempt to milk it.

I'm not very one-eyed at all. I had a Blue Heeler as a kid and he only had one eye. I stuffed up my username and rather than 1eyeddog I called myself 1eyedog.

You are right on every count in your post. I was going to post up the same thing myself but didn't want to appear to be implying our players were piss weak. If you look at the footage the first thing that Will and Wally do is point at Adams and then look at the umpire.

Times a changed. I think they knew it was pretty soft, still...

One thing flies completely in the face of your little theory. The fact that Cooney got up on jelly legs and when he regained his bearings was incensed. I've never seen Adam that angry, he looked like he wanted to kill the little bastard and had to be dragged off him by at least two others. Make no mistake the hit had enough force, Adams shouldn't be playing for at least 3-4 weeks.