PDA

View Full Version : Talia makes Rising Star a family affair

bornadog
09-07-2013, 10:57 AM
Link (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-07-09/family-affair)

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/292657-tlsnewsportrait_zpsa8c8b569.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/292657-tlsnewsportrait_zpsa8c8b569.jpg.html)

DALE MORRIS has been a pillar of the Western Bulldogs backline for nearly a decade, a player widely respected for making the most of his ability.

Someone who has grown up watching and admiring Morris is young teammate and round 15 NAB AFL Rising Star nominee Michael Talia.

Like the 2008 All Australian, Talia isn't blessed with the purest of kicking actions but makes up for it with an unrelenting desire to beat an opponent.

"When Dale was injured last year we'd sit together at games and he'd run me through certain defensive plays," Talia told AFL.com.au.

"And when we're out on the ground he's giving me advice, so he's been the biggest influence on my career."

The master and the apprentice repelled many a forward thrust during the Bulldogs thrilling victory over Greater Western Sydney on Saturday.

Talia delivered the most impressive performance of his nine-game career, collecting a team-high 32 possessions - most importantly at an efficiency rate of 78 per cent.

"I've worked extremely hard on my kicking over the past 18 months, to the point where I have an extra 500 to 600 kicks a week at training," he said.

"But my theory is to play basic defensive footy first and then hopefully I get a couple of touches off that.

"The coach wants me to want the footy in my hands so it makes it harder for my opponent when I work off him offensively and then I can set up some play from there."

Brendon McCartney is happy his young charge is following instructions.

"Michael is progressing really well, and just keeps improving steadily as a genuine tall defender. He showed some good signs towards the end of last season with his appetite to compete and great capacity to run, and has continued that this year," McCartney said.

"There are still some things to work on in his game, but we are optimistic about where he is heading as a player."

While Morris was an inspired choice in the 2005 rookie draft, Talia is proving to be one of the steals of the 2011 national draft.

Rated as the best key defender in that talent pool, that lack of kicking polish saw him slide to pick 39, a pick the Dogs had on the trade table for former Melbourne forward Matthew Bate.

But in a sliding doors moment, the trade fell through and the grandson of 1954 Footscray premiership ruckman Harvey Stevens fulfilled what could possibly be his footballing destiny.

The 20-year-old's family links to the game don't end there, as he's the younger brother of Adelaide defender and 2012 NAB AFL Rising Star Daniel Talia.

While a sibling rivalry exists, they're also doing a spot of reconnaissance for one another.

"Daniel's been a massive help for me as I text him when I'm coming up against someone he's played on and I'm happy to help him out too."

bulldogtragic
09-07-2013, 11:01 AM
That Bate reference made me feel sick. So happy that didn't happen. Well done Michael.

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 11:12 AM
That Bate reference made me feel sick. So happy that didn't happen. Well done Michael.

lol - I nearly spat out my coffee when I read that (not your quote BT, the one in the article). Shows how basic yet complicated the draft can be at times.

Cyberdoggie
09-07-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't think his brother has ever had 32 disposals in a game. He's certainly surprised me this year with his ability to find the ball.

Ranks 5th in the club for average disposals this year.
Only fractionally behind Libba and Cooney.

Averages 5 more disposals a game than Mitch Wallis.

Ozza
09-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Pretty impressive, and exciting, what Talia has been able to do just 9 games into his career.

Looks a long term player.

always right
09-07-2013, 12:13 PM
You have to give credit to blokes like Talia and Smith. Whilst they are still not the blokes I prefer to see delivering the ball by foot to team mates, they have both made serious steps in their disposal efficiency. Sure they play within their limitations by not being too ambitious with their targets, but the improvement they have made through sheer hard work is really encouraging. I think we've got some long term talent here.

bornadog
09-07-2013, 12:40 PM
Some highlights of his game.

SA4mh_Dv8h8&feature=share&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA

BornInDroopSt'54
09-07-2013, 01:19 PM
You have to give credit to blokes like Talia and Smith. Whilst they are still not the blokes I prefer to see delivering the ball by foot to team mates, they have both made serious steps in their disposal efficiency. Sure they play within their limitations by not being too ambitious with their targets, but the improvement they have made through sheer hard work is really encouraging. I think we've got some long term talent here.

Smith's goal kicking v GWS was good in the crunch on Saturday. It was the first time I felt reassured both he and Talia are long term Bulldogs.

always right
09-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Smith's goal kicking v GWS was good in the crunch on Saturday. It was the first time I felt reassured both he and Talia are long term Bulldogs.

Smith's kicking has been much better for most of this season. Still a few shanks but they have been far less frequent.

bornadog
09-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Smith's kicking has been much better for most of this season. Still a few shanks but they have been far less frequent.

He was pretty bad against Melbourne, but overall agree he has been better this year.

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Been really impressed with how he's come on this season. Well done to him.

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 03:14 PM
The space this kid can generate out of the backline is outstanding. Will really have a field day against a lazy forward.
I think teams will soon (probably as early as Essendon this week) tighten down fwd defence on him.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2013, 03:43 PM
He's an interesting player.

He looks awkward at times, looks slow and his disposal isn't great but he finds a way to be effective. His footy IQ/ability to read the play is very good for such a young player and is the reason he keeps finding so much of the ball. He's a really good defender one on one already, much like his brother, and although he lacks pace he's making a habit of effecting spoils at the right time.

What has surprised me most is his ball handling skills. As I said earlier he looks awkward at times, but he's very clean with his hands, and scoops the ball off the deck better than most big men.

Looks like developing into a great player of the future, especially if we can surround him with good runners/ball users.

F'scary
09-07-2013, 04:08 PM
So we were going to put up pick 39 for Bate, then one year later when he is a delisted free agent we didn't think spending pick circa 100 was worthwhile.

Unbelievable. But a happy ending.

Remi Moses
09-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Remember thinking hoping and preying they don't pick up Bate.
Most on here felt the same as well.
No to fringe players!
Talia's got a fair kick on him as well, and looks like his ball drop is different from last season.

always right
09-07-2013, 04:25 PM
He's an interesting player.

He looks awkward at times, looks slow and his disposal isn't great but he finds a way to be effective. His footy IQ/ability to read the play is very good for such a young player and is the reason he keeps finding so much of the ball. He's a really good defender one on one already, much like his brother, and although he lacks pace he's making a habit of effecting spoils at the right time.

What has surprised me most is his ball handling skills. As I said earlier he looks awkward at times, but he's very clean with his hands, and scoops the ball off the deck better than most big men.

Looks like developing into a great player of the future, especially if we can surround him with good runners/ball users.

Funny how we form different opinions. I never picked him as being slow......in fact his mobility is one of his strengths. I know mobility is different from pace but I certainly don't consider him to be much different to his predecessor Ryan Hargrave.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2013, 04:30 PM
Funny how we form different opinions. I never picked him as being slow......in fact his mobility is one of his strengths. I know mobility is different from pace but I certainly don't consider him to be much different to his predecessor Ryan Hargrave.

He's a great athlete in the endurance sense. Where most KPP's blow up after one or two efforts (see Jones), Talia can make repeat efforts and then do it all again ten seconds later. As you said he's really mobile, he's just not particularly quick, so it would be interesting to see how he would handle the quicker opponents.

w3design
09-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Congratulations Micca, well deserved.
Stick with Moz as a mentor, you could not have better.

I seem to remember a very favourable report on Micca's weights/gym work over the pre-season. The same again in the next off season should also pay handsome dividends, as no doubt will continuing the extra work on kicking skills.
Our back 6 looks a lot better with this lad down there.

Greystache
09-07-2013, 04:40 PM

He ran 3.01 seconds over 20m at the draft camp, so about mid range and probably above average for a key position player. He's not a speedster, but his pace isn't a concern for me.

His 14.2 in the beep test was really his only standout physical attribute, but for a player as strong as he is that is elite and it's already showing through in his game at AFL level.

Nuggety Back Pocket
09-07-2013, 05:26 PM
He ran 3.01 seconds over 20m at the draft camp, so about mid range and probably above average for a key position player. He's not a speedster, but his pace isn't a concern for me.

His 14.2 in the beep test was really his only standout physical attribute, but for a player as strong as he is that is elite and it's already showing through in his game at AFL level.

Talia's improvement has been one of the few highlights in recent weeks and has helped stiffen our defence. A shame to lose JJ as he along with Talia are two of the younger brigade in which to build our backline around. Young is another younger defender, who should have a long career. With Roughead and Morris we are in pretty good shape down back.

LostDoggy
09-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I know he is young, but am I the only one who thinks Talia looks very nervous when he has the ball or when the ball is near him? I'm quite surprised to see he has an disposal efficiency of 78%, as most the time I see him kick it or handball it results in the other team getting it.

Could be cos he is hitting his targets, but it was the wrong option

Remi Moses
09-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Would of thought this was a perfect example of keeping your first and second round picks and not trading!
We dodged a bullet here, and thankfully Melbourne were silly enough to want a first rounder for Bate.

Greystache
09-07-2013, 06:44 PM
Talia's improvement has been one of the few highlights in recent weeks and has helped stiffen our defence. A shame to lose JJ as he along with Talia are two of the younger brigade in which to build our backline around. Young is another younger defender, who should have a long career. With Roughead and Morris we are in pretty good shape down back.

I agree although I would like see us add another 2 rebounders with pace and kicking skills and a genuine small lock down defender. We should be able to find at least one or two of these in the state leagues you'd think. Someone like Hibberd from Essendon would be ideal.

westdog54
09-07-2013, 08:36 PM
I know he is young, but am I the only one who thinks Talia looks very nervous when he has the ball or when the ball is near him? I'm quite surprised to see he has an disposal efficiency of 78%, as most the time I see him kick it or handball it results in the other team getting it.

Could be cos he is hitting his targets, but it was the wrong option

If I was his age and playing in our backline I'd be bloody nervous as well. I think he's handled himself superbly despite his inexperience.

The Bulldogs Bite
09-07-2013, 10:13 PM
I agree although I would like see us add another 2 rebounders with pace and kicking skills and a genuine small lock down defender. We should be able to find at least one or two of these in the state leagues you'd think. Someone like Hibberd from Essendon would be ideal.

Yep - that'd be ideal. Hibberd has been an inspired selection, he's a gun.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Fantastic Effort Micka, I am Biased tho

Mofra
15-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Remember thinking hoping and preying they don't pick up Bate.
Most on here felt the same as well.
No to fringe players!

Glad we didn't get Bate, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out fringe players. Koby Stevens has been excellent for us this year, and we've seen some value in Tom Young & Nick Lower.

Remi Moses
15-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Glad we didn't get Bate, but I wouldn't necessarily rule out fringe players. Koby Stevens has been excellent for us this year, and we've seen some value in Tom Young & Nick Lower.

The obtaining a player for a to higher price that worries me.
3rd rounder upwards for a 23rd player