PDA

View Full Version : A MESSAGE FROM BRENDAN MCCARTNEY - Round 15

bornadog
09-07-2013, 10:52 PM
9 July 2013

There were times in the game against GWS, when people that we had been relying heavily on previously weren’t able to carry us along, and our younger players came forward and did really important things at crucial moments of the match — that was the synopsis and a positive to come from the day.

Our young people were able to deal with some of the opposition midfielders that were hurting us and our tall players at each end stood up at different times to take really important marks. For example, it was a really important mark that Jordan Roughead took late in the game when we were a little bit rocky, we weren’t playing all that well and he just went for it, backed himself and took the mark. At the other end a few minutes later Liam Jones took a really strong mark and converted, and that is really important. Gia, Will, Griff and Dale were terrific, as they have been in recent weeks, but there were times in the game when our younger players came forward and did really important things for the team.

It was a hotly contested game, and a really good test for our team to respond, particularly when the physicality increased at times. You do have to fly the flag when necessary, and I was pleased to see that, but what happens at the next contest is always far more important — and we didn’t take any backward steps around the ball, which is a given at our club.

I think our opposition were really up for the game and sensed a win. We haven’t won a lot of games but they have won none and we were in a position where there was more external heat on us not to lose than for them to win. In the end we dealt with it. In the coaches’ box, at no stage did we think we were going to lose the game, but we did make it harder for ourselves with our lack of polish at times and not being able to hurt the opposition when we made them turn the ball over.

It’s been quite a tough couple of weeks for our players and the stress of this industry, quite often is a lot heavier than the physical stress — it’s dealing with losses, it’s dealing with losing your place in the team, or dealing with scrutiny and expectation that comes with AFL footy. This may sound repetitive, but the reality is we are a young group, a really young group. And part of a young group emerging together is that they are going to have to learn to deal with tough emotional times together, and keep really good wins in perspective but also keep in perspective bad losses. That is part of emerging and that is what I spoke to the group about after the game.

We come up against some really good opposition in the coming weeks, and our approach will remain consistent. We will deal with our game on Sunday first. We will start with the review of GWS , then deal with planning for Essendon, and then work our backsides off at training — then we will just play.

See you at the game.

Brendan

Ghost Dog
10-07-2013, 03:13 AM
9 July 2013

We come up against some really good opposition in the coming weeks, and our approach will remain consistent. We will deal with our game on Sunday first. We will start with the review of GWS , then deal with planning for Essendon, and then work our backsides off at training — then we will just play.

See you at the game.

Brendan

Here's hoping we can pull up one upset win for the season. Would be great to do it against Essendon.

GVGjr
10-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Here's hoping we can pull up one upset win for the season. Would be great to do it against Essendon.

That would be a great thing.

LostDoggy
10-07-2013, 08:51 AM
If we could upset one team this year I would love it to be Carlton.

Pre Season Premiership favorites turned our bitches! (pardon the french)

LostDoggy
10-07-2013, 09:28 AM

I'd love it just to shut the other half of my family up. I thought the drug scandal might give me a quieter year, but it's been the exact opposite.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2013, 01:07 PM
That whole thing is depressing. They are bullish on that issue, and you bloody well get the feeling they are going to be let off on it by the AFL or Wada or whoever. If it were cycling, it would be totally different.

The Underdog
10-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I've got a feeling we'll struggle to put up more than 6 or 7 goals this week.

G-Mo77
10-07-2013, 01:16 PM
I've got a feeling we'll struggle to put up more than 6 or 7 goals this week.

I've also got a feeling we'll struggle to hold the margin under that amount as well. It's going to be a long Sunday afternoon.

bornadog
10-07-2013, 01:21 PM
I've also got a feeling we'll struggle to hold the margin under that amount as well. It's going to be a long Sunday afternoon.

60 plus points.

Ghost Dog
10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

I'm always optimistic going in to games like this and it's a fatal flaw in my character. I firm believer that if you get the basics right, and the opposition has a bad day, anything is possible. Give them absolutely no ladder respect and come out swinging instead of waiting till the last quarter Dogs.

The Underdog
10-07-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm always optimistic going in to games like this and it's a fatal flaw in my character. I firm believer that if you get the basics right, and the opposition has a bad day, anything is possible. Give them absolutely no ladder respect and come out swinging instead of waiting till the last quarter Dogs.

I just can't see our forward line being productive against their backs. We might do ok in the midfield but it's going to head back the other way in a hurry.

always right
10-07-2013, 02:12 PM
Etihad will be bursting with Essendon suporters riding their team to a big victory. If they get their game together early this will be ugly.

I hate their supporters....they're like a giant boy band. I hate Hawthorn, I hate Richmond and I hate Carlton...but I hate Bomber supporters the most (although I reckon Westcoast supporters give them a good run for their money).

Back on topic...surprised theere has been no comment about Macca's closing comment....

We will start with the review of GWS , then deal with planning for Essendon, and then work our backsides off at training — then we will just play.

Talk about getting back to basics.

G-Mo77
10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I hate their supporters....they're like a giant boy band. I hate Hawthorn, I hate Richmond and I hate Carlton...but I hate Bomber supporters the most (although I reckon Westcoast supporters give them a good run for their money).

I don't think you'll find many arguments. However I forgot how bad Richmond supporters are, I'd say Essendon are still in front though but barely.

The Underdog
10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
I don't think you'll find many arguments. However I forgot how bad Richmond supporters are, I'd say Essendon are still in front though but barely.

My theory is that Richmond supporters are just Collingwood supporters with less success. Might want to hide if they win a final

bornadog
10-07-2013, 04:49 PM

What about the umpiring decisions, I would say Essendon supporters must boo every decision that goes against them.

G-Mo77
10-07-2013, 04:54 PM
What about the umpiring decisions, I would say Essendon supporters must boo every decision that goes against them.

In that regard they're level. They were 10 goals up in Round 3 and were booing every free against and a bronx cheer for every free kick they got. I don't see any different when they are on TV.

jeemak
10-07-2013, 05:32 PM

In that regard they're level. They were 10 goals up in Round 3 and were booing every free against and a bronx cheer for every free kick they got. I don't see any different when they are on TV.

These are the hallmarks of the Essendon supporter philosophy towards following football.

- An injured Essendon player is always worth 2 of an opposition team's injured players

- Essendon only lose because they played badly, were jibbed by the umpires or had too many injuries. They are never outplayed

I recently had a discussion with Essendon supporters about their level of arrogance, and they countered my point with assertions they can't be arrogant because they haven't done anything of note in a decade. My simple reply was "indeed, but here we are".

I'll never forget their performance in the 2008 NAB Cup openning round at Docklands. Their supporters were spewing a level of arrogance I'd previously deemed impossible to produce. All over a NAB Cup game.

Whilst they're terrible losers, they are by far the worst winners I've experienced. They have no grace whatsoever.

I'm going to the game with an excitable Essendon supporter. I couldn't think of anything better than ruining his weekend at the death.

Sedat
10-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Back on topic...surprised theere has been no comment about Macca's closing comment....

Talk about getting back to basics.
Yep, very basic. I get the philosophy behind paring back the game plan to the absolute bare bones and adding in layers down the track, but surely there needs to be more and more time spent on match-day tactics and analysis of opposition players and game styles, as opposed to just "working hard on the track and just playing".

bulldogtragic
10-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Yep, very basic. I get the philosophy behind paring back the game plan to the absolute bare bones and adding in layers down the track, but surely there needs to be more and more time spent on match-day tactics and analysis of opposition players and game styles, as opposed to just "working hard on the track and just playing".
I'm hoping that is just a throw away line. It's almost word for word what my suburban footy coach used to drill into us. They're a little bit (well a long bit!) better than the crap we used to serve up. Maybe it's just footy speak or something...

F'scary
10-07-2013, 08:10 PM
These are the hallmarks of the Essendon supporter philosophy towards following football.

- An injured Essendon player is always worth 2 of an opposition team's injured players

- Essendon only lose because they played badly, were jibbed by the umpires or had too many injuries. They are never outplayed

I recently had a discussion with Essendon supporters about their level of arrogance, and they countered my point with assertions they can't be arrogant because they haven't done anything of note in a decade. My simple reply was "indeed, but here we are".

I'll never forget their performance in the 2008 NAB Cup openning round at Docklands. Their supporters were spewing a level of arrogance I'd previously deemed impossible to produce. All over a NAB Cup game.

Whilst they're terrible losers, they are by far the worst winners I've experienced. They have no grace whatsoever.

I'm going to the game with an excitable Essendon supporter. I couldn't think of anything better than ruining his weekend at the death.

If you want to stir your friend, Jeemak, just yell out "goooo Beees" in a stereotypical MCG member/Melbourne supporter's voice.

SonofScray
10-07-2013, 09:43 PM
I hate Essendon. A lot. A win this week would earn this current squad a lot of goodwill from me through what has been and is likely to be a very lean patch for us. I'm going to spend the week expecting a good day out Sunday.

wimberga
10-07-2013, 11:37 PM

As an aside - have you guys ever noticed that the only two supporter groups that clap their players off at every interchange are Essendon and Melbourne?

It's so annoying!! Every time a player of theirs does something then runs to the bench, their supporters clap them off, its just so over the top! And don't get me started on what happens when Hirdy comes down the steps at quarter time and they are in front!!

jeemak
11-07-2013, 12:04 AM
As an aside - have you guys ever noticed that the only two supporter groups that clap their players off at every interchange are Essendon and Melbourne?

It's so annoying!! Every time a player of theirs does something then runs to the bench, their supporters clap them off, its just so over the top! And don't get me started on what happens when Hirdy comes down the steps at quarter time and they are in front!!

What's worse, is that for some reason no matter which sport with any spurious link to Australia, in whatever country that it is being played you will always see some arsehole with an Essendon jumper in the crowd on the telecast. The twerps rock up to GF's not involving them with Essendon jumpers on. It's perverted, and weird.

Remi Moses
11-07-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm going to enjoy them losing their points
The last game Attended for me was knights last game as coach.
It was like playing an interstate side.

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 10:55 AM
What's worse, is that for some reason no matter which sport with any spurious link to Australia, in whatever country that it is being played you will always see some arsehole with an Essendon jumper in the crowd on the telecast. The twerps rock up to GF's not involving them with Essendon jumpers on. It's perverted, and weird.

I won't attend the GF until the Dogs play, but if I did (attend a non-Dogs GF) I'd wear my Dogs guernsey.

But I'm about as perverted and weird as it gets, so maybe you're right…

Chicago1
11-07-2013, 02:15 PM
When I lived in Perth in 1989, I wore my Footscray jumper to every Eagles match that I went to. Yeah... "Footscray" was my nickname at the WACA and Subi with the people I sat with every match. I guess I was the only West Coast Eagles member that wore a Footscray jumper to their matches and barracked for every Victorian team against them. Good.Times.:D

jeemak
11-07-2013, 02:29 PM
I won't attend the GF until the Dogs play, but if I did (attend a non-Dogs GF) I'd wear my Dogs guernsey.

But I'm about as perverted and weird as it gets, so maybe you're right…

That's a refreshingly honest self-appraisal. :D

Twodogs
11-07-2013, 02:31 PM
The 2000 game when we knocked them over in round 21 left me with one of my favorite footy memories. It had been pretty willing amongst the supporters all night and there was a grey haired old lady a couple of rows in front of us who'd been copping it from some particularly heroic Essendon supporters all night. When the siren went she stood up, turned around, pointed at them and let fly with an amazing steam of abuse. Me and my mates went and sat behind her and leered with our arms crossed.

It was beautiful to watch.

Twodogs
11-07-2013, 02:44 PM

Print this out and take it to the game with you Jeemak:

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf#xml=http://www.aafla.org:8080/verity_templates/jsp/search/xmlread.jsp?k2dockey=/mnt/docs/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf@aafla_pdf&serverSpec=localhost:9900&querytext=

bornadog
11-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Print this out and take it to the game with you Jeemak:

http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf#xml=http://www.aafla.org:8080/verity_templates/jsp/search/xmlread.jsp?k2dockey=/mnt/docs/SportsLibrary/ASSH%20Bulletins/No%2030/ASSHBulletin30d.pdf@aafla_pdf&serverSpec=localhost:9900&querytext=

They had to make up a story for losing.

LostDoggy
11-07-2013, 04:34 PM
Sedat, If you look back at the 'letter' and read it in context, with the preceding line - "We will start with the review of GWS , then deal with planning for Essendon, and then work our backsides off at training — then we will just play" you'll see that its as well as, not instead of.

Makes me wonder how many merely skim the letter and go straight to the (let's face it, far more important) comments of fellow woofers! :)

comrade
12-07-2013, 09:23 AM

I remember this game well. We (my partner and I) were leaving the stadium after the game and a group of Essendon supporters came up to us and started chanting '1954, 1954' in our face, over and over.

My poor partner (who at the time was a recent convert to the game after growing up in a Rugby League state) was baffled and asked me why they would chant that.

My explanation was pretty simple: Essendon fans are *!*!*!*!wits.

bornadog
12-07-2013, 09:37 AM
I remember this game well. We (my partner and I) were leaving the stadium after the game and a group of Essendon supporters came up to us and started chanting '1954, 1954' in our face, over and over.

My poor partner (who at the time was a recent convert to the game after growing up in a Rugby League state) was baffled and asked me why they would chant that.

My explanation was pretty simple: Essendon fans are *!*!*!*!wits.

Surprised they even remember 1954 they are so stupid. Back in the 1980's, my wife's boss at the time wrote a book about Essendon for the club, and she had to type it out for him. For the 1954 premiership he had Melbourne as the winner. She pointed this out to him and he refused to change it.