PDA

View Full Version : The deadline today

GVGjr
12-10-2007, 09:06 AM
If we miss out on securing a key forward which was our priority will this trade period be classed as a failure?
So far it's shaping like (forgetting the draft picks)
In's - Hudson and Callan
Out's - McMahon and Power

This doesn't look good enough for a team that struggled so badly and not something that should get the fans lining up for memberships again.

It seems we are out of the mix for Brennan but if we can land a key forward I think it does change the whole perspective on the 2008 season. It's shaping as a very critical day for the club in my opinion.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 09:10 AM
I don't see any other key forwards as good as Brennan available unless another emerges today.
Power not officially left yet.
Even without Brennan we will have a number of picks inside pick 30 hopefully.

Topdog
12-10-2007, 09:14 AM
I still don't see it as that much of a concern. I really think that our lack of ball getters in the middle and no tagger was our biggest problem this year. It really did filter through the side and our confidence was down due to the hammering we were taking in the middle.

Our whole team was a shambles in the last 7 weeks and IMO it didn't have anything to do with the lack of a tall forward.

Hudson will be a massive improvement for us in the centre square and also around the ground. Having a big man who is hard at it will help a lot.

GVGjr
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I don't see any other key forwards as good as Brennan available unless another emerges today.

Right at this moment we will only have 5 and 19 which isn't bad but not great. If we can keep 22 and use another pick to get Hudson then we have done well in that regard.

I suppose the point I am making is that we went in this week with one main goal and whilst a ruckman was a good one to get it still falls short of what we really wanted.

Raw Toast
12-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Right at this moment we will only have 5 and 19 which isn't bad but not great. If we can keep 22 and use another pick to get Hudson then we have done well in that regard.

I suppose the point I am making is that we went in this week with one main goal and whilst a ruckman was a good one to get it still falls short of what we really wanted.

I could be wrong but I thought our main goal (at least as stated publicly be Eade) was to get a decent ruckman. If that's so, then the trade week is probably a success as it stands, given we've at least slightly upgraded our second-round pick.

Depends a bit on how well McMahon goes at Richmond (I'm not sure they'll suit each other actually - I was going to say that I'd have chosen Port over the Tiges if I was him but actually like Sockeye, I'd have chosen to stay with us of course, and would've been v happy with $100,000 a year or so :D).

If we get Brennan it's a clear success I reckon, especially if that's through the psd (not that I'm saying we should push Brisbane to that). The eruption of Higgins to the Hawks thread gave me the heeby-geebies late yesterday, they just kept coming but hopefully have v little basis in reality. I could see Eade possibly doing it though, if he thought the Hawks were paying over the odds and it guaranteed us Brennan.

The Underdog
12-10-2007, 09:44 AM
I think it'll be slightly disappointing if we don't pick up a key forward, but not as disappointing as paying over the odds for a 2nd rate one. Brennan is the only forward possibly on the market that I think is worth getting at this point, although I think if he went into the PSD he wouldn't get past the first 3 picks to us let alone to Essendon.
We missed out on Robertson who was obviously the forward target Eade really wanted and it appears as though White was going to be too expensive. I wouldn't give 19 for him, I would for Brennan.
I guess we'll see what happens today but barring any surprises it looks as though we'll have to look forward to the draft and start analysing those tall marking forwards.
As disapointing as it is to lose Jordy, I think we did alright with the trade, especially as the Swans appear to have only got 26 for Schneider and Dempster.

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 10:05 AM

Agreed - key structural problems will remain.

However, it is a better result than losing McMahon and picking up a dud tall for the sake of it.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 10:13 AM

If we can keep 5, 19 & 22 whilst also snagging Hudson and Callan its been a terrific trade period for my money.

There just aren't key position forwards out there - its pretty questionable whether Brennan even qualifies as one. I'd hoped we could get Playfair in a preseason draft but the Swans beat us to that punch - because I think whilst he aint that polished he really isn't far off McGreggor.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 10:18 AM
If we can snare Brennan, I'll be happy.

I'm not at all happy with how the whole McMahon thing has unfolded. One minute he's a must keep, the next he's had a falling out, he wants to go home, and then ends up going to Richmond, it's honestly not a good look imo.

Hudson is a good pick up, Callan I'm not convinced adds anything too much to our mix at this stage, but we'll wait and see. Eade must have a lot of faith in the likes of Stack, Hill, Harbrow etc imo, to be trading runners.

DOG GOD
12-10-2007, 11:23 AM
If we can keep 5, 19 & 22 whilst also snagging Hudson and Callan its been a terrific trade period for my money.

unfortunately we wont keep pick 22 for hudson UNLESS we can get power for a pick under 30 and thats not gonna happen.

So IF we got brennan for 19 we would have picks 5 then 38.....thats a HUGE gap.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 12:09 PM

Is Ryan Murphy any good?

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Is Ryan Murphy any good?

Not sure but I doubt he is at Brennan's level

bornadog
12-10-2007, 12:17 PM
Brad Moran from North is going to Adeliade, so they have replaced the two ruckman they lost

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Bit over two and a half hours to go. A few people may be having late lunches today.

DOG GOD
12-10-2007, 12:28 PM
surely...SURELY we wont bend over and give pick 19 to port for white at 1.55pm.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 12:32 PM
I think we are shopping Power and our 3rd round selection to North for their 2nd round selection. We would then ship off that selection to the Crows for Hudson.

I speculated about something similar yesterday. Effectively North would get Power and move about 8-10 spots down the draft list. Would be a fair trade, and certainly be beneficial to our Hudson deal.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
unfortunately we wont keep pick 22 for hudson UNLESS we can get power for a pick under 30 and thats not gonna happen.

So IF we got brennan for 19 we would have picks 5 then 38.....thats a HUGE gap.

The talk has us trying to satisfy Adelaide with Norths second round pick that we get in exchange for Power and one of our picks

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 12:38 PM
surely...SURELY we wont bend over and give pick 19 to port for white at 1.55pm.

IIRC White failed a medical.

But there's still dud players like Bradley, Gardiner, Leigh Brown and Johns out there.......

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=52332

that is a link to the official tracker. Moran to Adelaide, Symes to Adelaide, Playfair to Swans and McMahon for pick #19, all confirmed.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 01:08 PM
Morton (WC) to Richmond

Sneider and Dempster to Saints

bornadog
12-10-2007, 01:29 PM
Steven King and Gardiner going to Saints for pick 90???? yes unusual

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 01:38 PM
Sneider and Dempster to Saints
For a pick 28!!!
Two youngish premiership players in a deal for a pick better than McMahon. Same as Aker last season.
Swans getting screwed for the second time this trade period.

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 02:00 PM
An hour to go......

Gee, the Saints did well this year at minimal cost.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 02:07 PM
Hudson to bulldogs for pick 30 (from WestCoast, they gave 22 and exchanged for 30 and 35)
Callen for pick 60

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 02:09 PM
We just sent Adelaide picks 30 and 38 for Hudson and pick 43

In involved some type of complicated deal with West Coast to get these picks to satisfy Adelaide

We've traded a second and fourth round pick to the Eagles for 3 picks - not sure exactly what they are

We've also just sent pick 62 to Geelong for Callan and pick 66

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 02:14 PM
So what's outstanding? Power? Fading hope for Brennan?

bornadog
12-10-2007, 02:17 PM
TRADE THIRTEEN:
Adelaide receives: Western Bulldogs picks No.22 and No. 54.
Western Bulldogs receive: Ben Hudson and Adelaide’s pick No.43.

TRADE FOURTEEN:
West Coast Eagles receive: Western Bulldogs picks No.22 and No.54.
Western Bulldogs receive: West Coast Eagles picks No.30, No.35 and No.62.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 02:19 PM
So what's outstanding? Power? Fading hope for Brennan?

Yes nothing at the moment, will let you know as soon as something comes through

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Thanks - no news up here in Sydney.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 02:22 PM
So, we now have:

Hudson, Callan, #5, #19, #35, #43.

Correct?

bornadog
12-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Power to North for Pick 48

aker39
12-10-2007, 02:35 PM
TRADE THIRTEEN:
Adelaide receives: Western Bulldogs picks No.22 and No. 54.

TRADE FOURTEEN:

How can Adelaide & West Coast BOTH get our picks 22 and 54

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 02:37 PM

30 and 35 went to adelaide i think

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 02:39 PM
It's a frenzy at the moment. So far so good. I like the fact that we are holding onto pick 19. Unless we can get a quality KP player lets use it in the draft.

It certainly is a frenzy. I'm just waiting till after 2, there is no way I can fathom our current situation by myself.

I'm happy we have kept pick 19 at this stage too.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 02:41 PM

yeah your right, thats how it was on the AFL news sight, I didn't see that.
I believe Adelaide received 30 and 35

aker39
12-10-2007, 02:46 PM
yeah your right, thats how it was on the AFL news sight, I didn't see that.
I believe Adelaide received 30 and 35

So the AFL website has something wrong AGAIN.

.................never

bornadog
12-10-2007, 02:56 PM
It certainly is a frenzy. I'm just waiting till after 2, there is no way I can fathom our current situation by myself.

I'm happy we have kept pick 19 at this stage too.

Eade was just interviewed and explained why the trading. Said they spoke to McMahon on Wednesday, wanted to keep him, McMahon had a few offers on the table and went for it. Eade happy we have two picks in top 20. Doesn't look like any more trading for us.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 03:00 PM
No more trades, 2pm deadline reached.

We lost: McMahon and Power, replaced by Callum and Hudson...

Improved pick 22 to 19, pick 38 to 35, 54 to 43 and gained 48 and 62.

aker39
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Final List of Trades

TRADE ONE:
Adelaide receives: Sydney’s round two selection (currently No.28).
Sydney Swans receive: Martin Mattner.

TRADE TWO:
Carlton receives: Chris Judd and West Coast’s round three selection (currently No.46).
West Coast Eagles receives: Josh Kennedy and Carlton’s round one and two selections (currently No.3 and No.20).

TRADE THREE:
Adelaide receives: Melbourne’s round three selection (currently No.37).
MelbourneFC receives: John Meesen.

TRADE FOUR:
Brisbane Lions receive: Collingwood's round one selection (currently No.14).
Collingwood receives: Cameron Wood.

TRADE FIVE:
Brisbane Lions receive: Travis Johnstone.
MelbourneFC receives: Brisbane Lions' round one selection (currently No.14).

TRADE SIX:
Adelaide receives: Brad Moran.
Kangaroos receive: Adelaide's round three selection (currently No.37).

TRADE SEVEN:
Adelaide receives: Brad Symes.
Port Adelaide receives: Adelaide’s second round selection (currently No.28).

TRADE EIGHT:
Richmond receives: Jordan McMahon.
Western Bulldogs receive: Richmond's round two selection (currently No.19).

TRADE NINE:
Sydney Swans receive: Henry Playfair.
Geelong receives: Sydney's round three selection (currently No.44).

TRADE TEN:
St Kilda receives: Adam Schneider and Sean Dempster.
Sydney Swans receive: St Kilda's round two selection (currently No.26).

TRADE ELEVEN:
Richmond receives: Mitch Morton.
West Coast Eagles receive: Richmond's round two selection (currently No.35).

TRADE TWELVE:
St Kilda receives: Steven King and Charlie Gardiner.
Geelong receives: St Kilda's round six selection (currently No.90).

TRADE THIRTEEN:
Adelaide receives: Western Bulldogs picks No.30 and No.38.

TRADE FOURTEEN:

TRADE FIFTEEN:
Kangaroos receive: Ben Davies.
Collingwood receives: Kangaroos' round six selection (currently No.96).

TRADE SIXTEEN:
Kangaroos receive: Sam Power.
Western Bulldogs receive: Kangaroos' third round selection (currently No.48).

TRADE SEVENTEEN:
Carlton receives: Richard Hadley.
Brisbane Lions receive: Carlton's fourth round selection (currently No.52)

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 03:09 PM

So we now have

Hudson, Callan, #5, #19, #35, #43, #48, #62.

I'm pretty happy with that result. 5 top 50 Draft selections, assuming we take 5 in the draft (I think we will).

Still disappointed about the loss of McMahon, but the loss of Power does make me feel a little better. Hudson is a great inclusion, and having that second top 20 pick could become a real win.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 03:30 PM
So we now have

Hudson, Callan, #5, #19, #35, #43, #48, #62.

I'm pretty happy with that result. 5 top 50 Draft selections, assuming we take 5 in the draft (I think we will).

Still disappointed about the loss of McMahon, but the loss of Power does make me feel a little better. Hudson is a great inclusion, and having that second top 20 pick could become a real win.

Eade was always after two picks in top 20, with specific players in mind ie tall running type.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 03:37 PM

I've supported Sam because he was our player but its certainly not weighing heavily on my mind that he is gone

The Underdog
12-10-2007, 03:41 PM
I've supported Sam because he was our player but its certainly not weighing heavily on my mind that he is gone

Certainly doesn't make me feel as bad as losing McMahon does.
Shame he never really found a spot, all the best to him at North (he might be living near his brother sooner than he thought :p )

Raw Toast
12-10-2007, 04:09 PM

I think we gave up 62 to the Cats for 66 + Callan, which means we end up with:

Hudson & Callan and picks #5, 19, 35, 43, 48, 66, & 70.

We've lost Grant, Darcy, Robbins, Montgomery (all retired), Baird, McCormack, Faulkner, Walsh (all delisted), McMahon and Power (both traded) [plus two rookies, Pask and West].

We'll elevate at least Harbrow which means we might use seven picks (ie stop at pick 70) or six picks and try and get somone in the psd. If we elevate Hughes as well then we might just pick up five players in the national draft (with 48 being our last pick) and one in the psd.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 04:39 PM
I think we gave up 62 to the Cats for 66 + Callan, which means we end up with:

Hudson & Callan and picks #5, 19, 35, 43, 48, 66, & 70.

We've lost Grant, Darcy, Robbins, Montgomery (all retired), Baird, McCormack, Faulkner, Walsh (all delisted), McMahon and Power (both traded) [plus two rookies, Pask and West].

We'll elevate at least Harbrow which means we might use seven picks (ie stop at pick 70) or six picks and try and get somone in the psd. If we elevate Hughes as well then we might just pick up five players in the national draft (with 48 being our last pick) and one in the psd.

Big changes, and I think we need it, as you can't just except what happened last season.

Bulldog Revolution
12-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Interesting outcome - seemed to go exactly to the plan

Sockeye Salmon
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Interesting outcome - seemed to go exactly to the plan

Except for the power forward thingy.

bornadog
12-10-2007, 05:36 PM
Except for the power forward thingy.

Power forwards are not available. See my thread on Eade interview

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 06:25 PM
Realistically we were never going to get a good power forward cheap in the trade period.
I suppose it an example of the failure of the best available system!
We maybe need to take a gamble on older guy in the draft late pick or psd.

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 06:39 PM
I suppose it an example of the failure of the best available system!

Yes, even if we'd offered Cooney or Griffin we'd probably only get Rusling or Boyle.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:45 PM
There wasnt much on offer, i dont think....
though Saints got an excellent deal on Playfair

The Coon Dog
12-10-2007, 08:01 PM
There wasnt much on offer, i dont think....
though Saints got an excellent deal on Playfair

Scary avatar!

macca
13-10-2007, 01:14 AM
I think the sainters did very, very well out of the draft. to give up 2 picks, 26 and 90, and get 2 premiership players( king and schneider) , a potentially decent backman??? dempster, and a potential 3rd forward(gardener). If they get 20+ goals out of garnder, its a pretty good pick up. 4 ready made AFL players for just 1 decent pick, and at best a smoke at pick 90.

Ross lyon and the recruiting manager must be over the moon! .

Sockeye Salmon
13-10-2007, 09:28 AM
I think the sainters did very, very well out of the draft. to give up 2 picks, 26 and 90, and get 2 premiership players( king and schneider) , a potentially decent backman??? dempster, and a potential 3rd forward(gardener). If they get 20+ goals out of garnder, its a pretty good pick up. 4 ready made AFL players for just 1 decent pick, and at best a smoke at pick 90.

Ross lyon and the recruiting manager must be over the moon! .

If they get 20 good minutes out of Gardiner I'll be surprised. He's dreadful.

Schneider for pick 26 is about right, Dempster and King for free. Is Dempster any better a pick-up than Birss was last year (basically for free as well)?

King is 29 with a significant injury history but they might get two good years out of him.

Twodogs
13-10-2007, 12:10 PM
If they get 20 good minutes out of Gardiner I'll be surprised. He's dreadful.

Schneider for pick 26 is about right, Dempster and King for free. Is Dempster any better a pick-up than Birss was last year (basically for free as well)?

King is 29 with a significant injury history but they might get two good years out of him.

King is finished I reckon. Just taking a place on the list.

The Underdog
13-10-2007, 01:51 PM
King and Gardiner were barely worth pick 90. Gardiner would have been delisted otherwise. Same goes for Playfair, he's big, but he's VFL quality. I'm glad we didn't waste our time with any of them. Sydney were especially generous, a 3rd rounder for Playfair and giving up Schneider and Dempster for pick 26.

dog town
14-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Just thought I would give my opinion on some of the trades the other teams did.

Mattner to Sydney- I reckon he will do well with the swans. Craig played him out of position this season and he really suits the swans style of game.

Trav Johnstone to Brisbane- Should dominate in Brisbane. Plenty of other midfielders to take the heat off him and a big open ground to use his kicking skills. Might be worth putting a few quid on him for the brownlow.

King and Gardiner to Stkilda- King should have retired in my opinion. Ross Lyon is from the Sydney school of thought in that he places huge importance on ruckmen but his efforts at getting a top one have been a bit half hearted. The saints have been chasing a mid sized forward because its something that their forward line just doesn't have and thats probably why they picked up Gardiner. They might be looking at playing Riewoldt deeper this season and I imagine Gardiner will spend time in a lead up role. Can play a little bit so it might not be a bad move by the saints.

Wood to Collingwood- Just hard to call with young ruckmen. I certainly dont think he will come out next year and dominate. Good work by Brisbane to get pick 14 for him.

Schneider to Stkilda- Will watch this with interest. I tend to think that the swans game plan makes players look better than they are. They are all so well drilled and know their roles so well that ordinary players can find a role and do very well. He was ok providing the swans with that extra bit of run when they needed it but it will be interesting to see how he goes at Stkilda.

Symes to Adeliade- Good get IMO. The kid can play a bit but was caught behind some good players at Port.