PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee - Round 17 vs Hawthorn

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 06:26 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Saturday's game against Hawthorn in Tasmania?.

As usual a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussions.

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 06:46 PM
It's going to be hard to make a lot of changes

bornadog
14-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Out: Addison , Dickson, Smith and Wallis

In: Stringer, Macrae, Lower and Roberts

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 07:25 PM

Smith is through injury? And Roberts goes from the development team to the seniors?

FrediKanoute
14-07-2013, 07:27 PM

Addison just got 3 votes on MMM I think?

EasternWest
14-07-2013, 07:32 PM

It would have to be in the worsts.

I'm Addison's biggest fan, but he wasn't good today.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 07:35 PM

He got the 3 votes for worst player on the ground!

G-Mo77
14-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Out: Smith :( Dickson, Addison
Ins: Macrae, Stringer, Cross

F'scary
14-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Sounds good. Go with this. Hopefully only a week or two for Smith but from what I've read he seemed pretty upset after the game. Maybe it was just because we lost.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 08:02 PM
Looks good. Wouldn't mind Young for Cross though.

Pickenitup
14-07-2013, 08:05 PM
In Lower Cross Macare Stringer
Out Dickson Wallis Smith Addison

F'scary
14-07-2013, 08:05 PM
FF: Gia, Stringer, Grant
HF: Dahlhaus, Jones, Stevens

???

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 08:23 PM

Young was very groggy yesterday.

azabob
14-07-2013, 08:23 PM

Young was knocked out yesterday, so he may not be right. I think Cross needs to come in for Smith.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-07-2013, 08:31 PM
We have the exciting prospect of having Stringer, Jones and Grant in our forward line next week with the chance of better delivery from at least Hrovat and better midfield pressure, judging by today's effort. Our erstwhile weakness could be an exciting turnaround.
Out: Smith Dickson, Addison
Wallis stays in only because of the three outs.

G-Mo77
14-07-2013, 08:32 PM

Like everyone said he wasn't a well man yesterday. Don't expect him to be right for next week. But yeah I'd have no complaints about switching Cross and Young.

The Bulldogs Bite
14-07-2013, 08:41 PM
Two of Addison/Wallis/Dickson need to go. Given that Smith got injured, it may save Wallis, but Lower (or Cross) could be preferred.

I'd be inclined to give Stringer a game at VFL, but I'd bring Macrae straight back in.

bornadog
14-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Smith is through injury? And Roberts goes from the development team to the seniors?

Why not. In my opinion we were one tall short today. I don't count Grant as a tall and he shouldn't be playing a KP role. Of course Smith out due to injury.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Out: Smith, Addison

In: Macrae, Stringer

VFL performances weren't enough for a recall other than Campbell, Austin and Cross, but can't see them getting recalled. Campbell is very close, but persevere with what we have for now.

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 09:08 PM
It's a big ground in Tassie so we need some running power

Out: - Smith (injured) Addison (Form) Dickson (Form) Wallis (Form)
In: - Lower, Cross, Macrae and Stringer

Picken will have to mind Cyril
Lower to Mitchell now that Smith is out
Macrae to five us some poise
Stringer to replace Dickson
Cross to provide some more on field experience.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 09:24 PM
Like everyone said he wasn't a well man yesterday. Don't expect him to be right for next week. But yeah I'd have no complaints about switching Cross and Young.
Whoops. This falls into the category of something I didn't know :)

Before I Die
14-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Why not. In my opinion we were one tall short today. I don't count Grant as a tall and he shouldn't be playing a KP role. Of course Smith out due to injury.

He played tall today and wasnt too shabby.

soupman
14-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Out: Dickson and Addison (omitted), Smith (inj)

In: Macrae and Stringer, and Cross

As good as Campbell was I'd rather he build up consistency at the lower level than play 10% in the ruck at AFL level and struggle again. Dominating VFL didn't seem to hinder Minsons development.

Would like Young in but obviously he isn't available.

Cross deserves a recall and I think will offer us more around the ground than Lower will, who hasn't been too impressive as a tagger in recent times.

BornInDroopSt'54
14-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Out: Smith, Addison

VFL performances weren't enough for a recall other than Campbell, Austin and Cross, but can't see them getting recalled. Campbell is very close, but persevere with what we have for now.

Would love Campbell to bring that marking and long penetrative kicking deep into the forward line that he displayed on Saturday. It will happen in time.

Go_Dogs
14-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Out: Smith, Dickson

I thought Wallis did a few good things today, although hasn't quite turned the corner. Addison gets another chance based Dickson not quite being able to have an impact 3 weeks in a row.

Lowey33
14-07-2013, 10:25 PM
I'd love to see Campbell come in for next week. We need to try and stretch their defence with a bit of height. And definitely bring back macrae and stringer, and lower. I wouldn't drop addo. Even though he struggled he's hard at it, and can change ends if needed. So outs are smith, Dickson, probably addo(even after what I said, and wallis.

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Out: Dickson and Addison (omitted), Smith (inj)

In: Macrae and Stringer, and Cross

As good as Campbell was I'd rather he build up consistency at the lower level than play 10% in the ruck at AFL level and struggle again. Dominating VFL didn't seem to hinder Minsons development.

Would like Young in but obviously he isn't available.

Cross deserves a recall and I think will offer us more around the ground than Lower will, who hasn't been too impressive as a tagger in recent times.

I agree with your ins and outs and would add another in promoting Campbell as a fourth change replacing Wallis. Our lack of height against Essendon was obvious and will be needed against Hawthorn. Both Campbell and Cross were very good for Williamstown yesterday. Campbell's overhead marking was as good as I have seen from him.
Cross will provide the aggression that is needed with Smith's untimely loss.

bornadog
15-07-2013, 12:02 AM

Loved his game but what I am saying he is a Either a forward pocket or half forward

Greystache
15-07-2013, 01:01 AM
In- McCrae, Stringer, Lower

Out- Smith, Addison, Wallis

Smith is a huge loss, Lower to come in and play his run with role on Mitchell or Hodge. Addison struggled and Stringer is rested. Wallis is a huge concern and McCrae gives us more run and better ball use.

jeemak
15-07-2013, 10:10 AM
In - Cross, McCrae, Stringer

Out - Addison, Smith, Dickson

My thoughts on Cross' future at the club are well known, though his excellent work in the VFL shouldn't be ignored and I think there's a job for him to do on Mitchell or Hodge. Neither of these guys are very quick, and Cross will be able to run on them all day. Unsure how well Lower has been doing at VFL level, and with putting Picken into a genuine tagging role on Rioli there's no spot for him.

Dickson either needs fitness or is just putridly out of form. He needs to put together a couple of very good weeks in the VFL before coming back.

I think I'd prefer not to see Addison in the side again this year. We can't afford somebody of his age and experience to fumble as much as he did. Our team doesn't need to play plodders any more, rather, we need to put talented young people in for extended periods and have them develop.

Wallis is lucky survive. He should be started as the sub, and needs to make an impact as soon as he comes on.

Mofra
15-07-2013, 10:12 AM
He played a lead up role, as Bob Murphy used to - certainly not a Jones type tall forward. His goal was a smart crumbing effort.

We still need one more contested marking tall forward to compliment Jones.

bornadog
15-07-2013, 10:50 AM
He played a lead up role, as Bob Murphy used to - certainly not a Jones type tall forward. His goal was a smart crumbing effort.

We still need one more contested marking tall forward to compliment Jones.

This ^^

and please not Campbell, he is too much like Minson. Cordy needs more games at VFL level to improve.

whythelongface
15-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Ins: Stringer, Campbell, Cross

Out: Dickson, Addison, Smith

Maybe McCrae for Wallis but would like to see Wallis perserverd with.

I would like to see Campbell given another go at FF interchanging with Minson in the ruck. From all reports at VFL level he has been ok and been able to kick some goals.

mjp
15-07-2013, 11:08 AM
I'd love to see Campbell come in for next week. We need to try and stretch their defence with a bit of height.

How does playing Cambell stretch them?

They will probably stick Mitchell on him and he will get 40+!

Ozza
15-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Outs: Smith (inj.) Addison; Dickson;
Ins: Lower (just to play on Hodge or Mitchell), Macrae; Stringer;

Wouldn't be surprised if Cross replaces Wally - based on form. But not sure that move looks to the future.

Sedat
15-07-2013, 12:51 PM
I'd love to see Campbell come in for next week.
I'd actually prefer we did the opposite, and have a more mobile forward line consisting of Jones, Grant, Stringer, Gia, Hunter and Dahl, and have our boys constantly moving and providing options for our mids to spot up. We don't have a go-to gorilla, and provided we can win the midfield clearance battle against the Hawks (no easy thing) it might actually be to our advantage as Gibson and Lake in particular won't know when and who to peel off and play 3rd man up. I'd almost instruct Jones to act as a decoy to try and drag these two away from the corridor.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 01:40 PM
What are we going to do about Lake? He is going to absolutely kill us on the rebound. We need our forward line to be the most defensive group we've got.

Ghost Dog
15-07-2013, 01:42 PM
Brian is good in the air, but less so at ground level. He'll struggle if someone with any pace is put on him.

Grant, Dahl, Hrovat, Jones all have a fair amount of speed.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2013, 01:49 PM
Brian is good in the air, but less so at ground level. He'll struggle if someone with any pace is put on him.

Grant, Dahl, Hrovat, Jones all have a fair amount of speed.
Grant giving Bwian a bath. The stuff dreams are made out of :)

Ghost Dog
15-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Agree tragic!
We are owed one major upset this season against a top 8 side. Only a matter of time and yesterday demonstrated we're not that far off.

Remi Moses
15-07-2013, 02:39 PM
In Macrae Stringer
Out Smith Addison ( he was terrible)

bulldogtragic
15-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Agree tragic!
We are owed one major upset this season against a top 8 side. Only a matter of time and yesterday demonstrated we're not that far off.
Agree. Our good can be very competitive, but our bad is poo. If we're can draw the battle of the Roughie, with support from Morris and Talia, get some solid tags on them and try to outsmart their backs with a small set up, I'd like to think with the application and effort replicated on the weekend that we could be proud by the end of next week.

The teams that turned up against Melbourne and GWS will be pantsed. So onward and upward please.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 03:43 PM

Yep, you got it.

In Macrae Stringer
Out Smith Addison ( he was terrible)

I like Dyl, I'm one of the Addison Faithful, but he had a shocker yesterday and has been struggling for form, definitely needs to step down a notch to the VFL.

F'scary
15-07-2013, 09:32 PM
What's happening with Daniel's Pearcings?

bornadog
15-07-2013, 09:36 PM
What's happening with Daniel's Pearcings?

Played on Saturday for Willi. I missed most of the match but saw the last quarter. Nothing to write home about.

On another note Young has been cleared to play after getting knocked out and Lower is also ok, after a minor ankle.

G-Mo77
15-07-2013, 09:43 PM

Sounds like Boyd is right to go so I'll replace Cross with him.

kruder
15-07-2013, 10:22 PM
I'd nearly give Stringer and Mcrae another week off. It has been along season for both of them and they looked shot against GWS. Just wish Roberts was in this week. Can't wait to have a look at him forward.

LostDoggy
16-07-2013, 06:17 PM
In Lower
Out Smith
Tagger for tagger
Addison chance to redeem himself .... stop fumbling

LostDoggy
16-07-2013, 06:48 PM
IN: Cross, Stringer, Macrae

OUT: Smith (injured), Addison (omitted), Dickson (omitted)

Cross comes back in as a like-for-like replacement for the injured Smith. Addison and Dickson were shown up for both endeavour and polish by their younger team mates against Essendon and make way for Stringer and Macrae who will be better for the rest. Wallis probably lucky to hold his spot but I'd be reluctant to make four changes to the side who were probably robbed against a top four team.

SlimPickens
16-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Addison chance to redeem himself .... stop fumbling

He gave Nathan Djukurra a run for his money on the weekend.

Out: Smith, Wallis, Dickson

In: McCrae, Stringer, Lower

Hotdog60
16-07-2013, 08:36 PM
He gave Nathan Djukurra a run for his money on the weekend.

It's amazing how much time and space you can get if you are a one grab player.

LostDoggy
16-07-2013, 08:42 PM
It's going to be an ugly day down there. 10-12 degrees, 80% chance of rain, 5-10mls.

Wet weather types to come in.

In: Cross, Stringer, Lower
Out: Addison, Smith, Dickson

LostDoggy
16-07-2013, 10:20 PM
It's going to be an ugly day down there. 10-12 degrees, 80% chance of rain, 5-10mls.

Wet weather types to come in.

In: Cross, Stringer, Lower
Out: Addison, Smith, Dickson

Maybe the hardnuts Cross and Lower but surely Stringer wouldnt be suited
Addison to stay in

LostDoggy
16-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Addison to stay in

Football smarts weather, reason I went with Jakey.

Mantis
17-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Addison to stay in

Addison spent all day against Ess fumbling a dry ball.. How will he go with a wet one?

Nuggety Back Pocket
17-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Addison spent all day against Ess fumbling a dry ball.. How will he go with a wet one?

Addison shouldn't be part of our future going forward and he together with Dickson and Wallis were very disappointing against Essendon. Without one of our hard nuts in Smith you would almost be tempted to bring back Cross who has been very good for Williamstown. We still lack a strong marking forward, which may leave the door open for Campbell who looks a better option than Cordy to return. Playing all 4 youngsters in Stringer, Macrae. Hrovat and Hunter could leave us vulnerable against Hawthorn and you would hope that the more experienced Boyd will be fit for selection. I will be in Tassie for the game on Saturday and looking forward to it. There was a lot to like about the effort against Essendon.

LostDoggy
17-07-2013, 01:15 PM
It may end up being wet, but Aurora Stadium is the best football surface I've ever seen. As Mantis said, fumblers would be a no-no, but it might not have the effect of, say, a muddy MCG.

I would go with clean thinkers and hard workers ahead of clean hands, though both are obviously desirable.

1eyedog
17-07-2013, 06:30 PM

He'll spend all time fumbling like everyone else will.

I would leave him in as well as he's hard at the contest and that may be one of the governing factors to stay in the contest down there.

bornadog
17-07-2013, 06:53 PM
He'll spend all time fumbling like everyone else will.

I would leave him in as well as he's hard at the contest and that may be one of the governing factors to stay in the contest down there.

Addison had 5 touches to half time last week and only a few in the second half. The only time he got near the ball was when he was a loose man in the backline.

I have said this for many years, I just don't feel he is up to AFL standard. He plays one good game every season.

LostDoggy
17-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Addison had 5 touches to half time last week and only a few in the second half. The only time he got near the ball was when he was a loose man in the backline.

I have said this for many years, I just don't feel he is up to AFL standard. He plays one good game every season.

He had a shocker last week but overall he has been ok .
I still think he should stay in instead of one of the kids given where we are playing this week and the cold and probably wet conditions

1eyedog
17-07-2013, 09:53 PM

Yes he was very poor, took a nice mark but that was it unfortunately.

I'm just thinking that IF it is wet the conditions will suit him.

G-Mo77
18-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs

McCartney: Boyd won't be back this week, he was close but needs one more week.

McCartney: There won't be many changes this week, we'll take in a similar line-up to the side the played the Bombers.

So with Smith the obvious out sounds like there will probably only be another out.

bulldogtragic
18-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Western Bulldogs ‏@westernbulldogs

McCartney: Boyd won't be back this week, he was close but needs one more week.

McCartney: There won't be many changes this week, we'll take in a similar line-up to the side the played the Bombers.

So with Smith the obvious out sounds like there will probably only be another out.
Who'd you like from Willi on the weekend GMo?

G-Mo77
18-07-2013, 12:18 PM
Who'd you like from Willi on the weekend GMo?

Campbell, Vezspremi, Cross.

In that order.

It's doubtful any will be selected. Cross is the biggest chance out of those 3.

Ghost Dog
18-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Cross would be a good replacement for Smith, if we want to go with the same structure. He will add some composure and polish to the side, and that's a credit to his passing skill development in recent years.
Of the Williamstown mob, Austin sounds like he has some form of late. Would putting him down back allow us to free up someone with better kicking skills to go to the midfield?

DragzLS1
18-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Cross in for Smith

Stringer in for Dickson

Macrae in for Addison

The Pie Man
18-07-2013, 03:29 PM
Stringer for Addison
Macrae for Smith

Wallis very lucky - thought Dickson at least tried to work his way into the game, and had 15 touches in the end.

Very keen to see Stringer & Grant work together

bornadog
18-07-2013, 04:12 PM
If not many changes then I bet:

Out: Smith, Wallis

LostDoggy
18-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Macrae is in, other changes unconfirmed, maybe no others.

bornadog
18-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Macrae is in, other changes unconfirmed, maybe no others.

Correct - Final Team. In Macrae for Smith

westdog54
18-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Invoking the "Rolls Royce" rule with Stringer perhaps?

Don't mind him having 1 run at Willi before coming back. He's not quite the smooth mover that Macrae is.

Bulldog Joe
18-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Invoking the "Rolls Royce" rule with Stringer perhaps?

Don't mind him having 1 run at Willi before coming back. He's not quite the smooth mover that Macrae is.

Stringer not listed for Willi

F'scary
18-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Stringer not listed for Willi

Does that mean he is injured? Information requirement priority = high.

Ghost Dog
20-07-2013, 11:55 AM
The Wallis selection confuses me a bit. Has he been tearing it up in the VFL?

soupman
20-07-2013, 12:01 PM
The Wallis selection confuses me a bit. Has he been tearing it up in the VFL?

You would guess that he will now have an opportunity to help fill the void left by Smith. May even get the tagging type role Smith has occupied

Ghost Dog
20-07-2013, 12:08 PM
You would guess that he will now have an opportunity to help fill the void left by Smith. May even get the tagging type role Smith has occupied

Yes, I agree, and if we were playing anyone but the top team, I could see the point. Why shouldn't Lower be in?He can kick longer, work their opponents over harder, and has experience we lack.

soupman
20-07-2013, 12:14 PM
Yes, I agree, and if we were playing anyone but the top team, I could see the point. Why shouldn't Lower be in?He can kick longer, work their opponents over harder, and has experience we lack.

The fact that he is listed as having an ankle injury and isn't named for Willy may suggest that he is unavailable.

Ghost Dog
20-07-2013, 02:08 PM
The fact that he is listed as having an ankle injury and isn't named for Willy may suggest that he is unavailable.

Thanks, I didn't realize this.