PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 16

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 06:30 PM
This is the round 16 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

comrade
14-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Bankers:

* Libba is a jet.

* Loved the combo of Hrovat, Hunter and Dahlhaus running amok. Gave us plenty of energy and had the Bombers on the back foot.

* Gia's first 3 quarters were all class. We're going to miss his finishing skills next year.

Anchors:

* At least 4 goals were scored against us that could have easily been ushered over the goal line had we read the play better and got someone on the line. Lack of composure costs us.

* Mitch Wallis is on struggle street. Fumbles under the slightest pressure and has no real weapons.

* Some of the umpiring was questionable. Essendon cheats enough as it is, do they need any more help?

EasternWest
14-07-2013, 07:12 PM
Bankers.

Tutt - trying to make something happen in the guts. Got caught, but I'm happy for him to go for it. Also hit Jones with a beautiful kick.

Griffen - Backed into a marking contest late in the game without a second thought. Got a corkie in the butt for his efforts.

Dahlhaus - just a good, lively game.

Anchors

MInson - for not getting on the goal line when Heppel kicked his last goal.

Umpires - I try not to anchor them, because it's a tough job, but Hrovat's advantage goal should be used on their instructional video for what the advantage rule is and why it exists.

Also, the HTB against Stephens when he wasn't being tackled.

always right
14-07-2013, 07:46 PM
B:
Goodes.....staggered at the criticism he attracts on this board
Libba.....a clearance beast
The young blokes Hrovat, Dahl and Hunter. Exciting.

And stuff it.....here's a fourth. Morris was immense.

A:
Addison. Love him but he was excruciating today.
Dickson.....I just don't see anything in this bloke
Roughy.....really struggled to have an impact today

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 07:50 PM
Bankers:
Top class: Griff and Libba
Mid tier: Tutt and Grant (I would have added Goodes, but giving that free with 4 minutes to go was horrible and disappointing)
Young uns: Hrovat, Hunter and Dahl

Anchors:
Minson didn't have his best game today
Roughie just couldn't impact
Wallis is I don't know where in his development
Dickson looked a class below today

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 07:58 PM
B:
Goodes.....staggered at the criticism he attracts on this board

I got a text message from Twodogs today describing Goodes as the worst elite kick.
He loves him though

always right
14-07-2013, 08:05 PM
I got a text message from Twodogs today describing Goodes as the worst elite kick.
He loves him though

What did he say when Goodes goal sailed through?

always right
14-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Mid tier: Tutt and Grant (I would have added Goodes, but giving that free with 4 minutes to play

Give me a break. Happens numerous times in a match. Bomber player collapses and surprise surprise...the umpire falls for it.

Supporters want us to play on the edge and when we do....we criticise.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 08:25 PM
Give me a break. Happens numerous times in a match. Bomber player collapses and surprise surprise...the umpire falls for it.

Supporters want us to play on the edge and when we do....we criticise.
Fair go. I am critical of doing something at the wrong time. A couple of goals in it, 5 minutes to go, near our fwd line, and he does something which was completely unnecessary. Are you suggesting what he did was necessary?

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 08:26 PM

I didn't get a message but he would have been very happy

G-Mo77
14-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Bankers:

Libba.
What a game today. We've got an A grader right there!

Hrovat.
All I could say earlier on was excellent and he was. Looks really calm and settled out on the ground.

Morris.
Hurley IS the most overrated player in the comp but it was great to see Dale take him to the cleaners.

Anchors:

Smith's injury.
I'm just keeping everything crossed that it is not as serious as we all think.

Umpires.
They deserved to be anchored EasternWest. Some howlers out there which cost us dearly.

Essendon
I just hate the whole club. They deserve an anchor just for showing up today.

Remi Moses
14-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Anchors
Hrovat ( what a beauty)
Libba ( clearance king)
Goodes( missed him in the votes, but played well)
Morris( just a true pro)
Dahlhaus( with our poor execution into 50, he was excellent.

Anchors- Dickson ( looks way out of sorts)
Wallis( gone back to season 1 with rushed decision making)
The advantage rule( inconsistent)
Decision making and execution( this needs a major overhaul)
Jones looked dangerous every time we went forward with purpose and execution.

Remi Moses
14-07-2013, 08:35 PM
Anchors- the injury to Clay

bornadog
14-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Bankers

* Goodes - backed himself in several times and it paid off.

* Gia - his smarts will be missed

* Dahl - gave 110%, never stopped running, tackling and going for the ball.

Anchors

* Liam Jones did not touch the ball in the entire second half.

* Addison, Dickson - good VFL players

* Umpiring, the most atrocious decisions I have seen, they literally donot have a clue.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Bankers-
Libba - Just an elite ball winner, just needs to learn to break a tag when they go to him like has happened a couple of times.

Hrovat-Fantastic little fella, proved he will be a player

The old fellas- Murphy, Morris and Gia were all fantastic.

Anchors-

Forward structure- still needs a lot of work, was good at times, but need to consistently present targets.

Turnovers- As usual, Stevens played a bit like Boyd, won some good contested football but some frustrating turnovers.

Fumbles- Wallis, Addison and Cooney for a while just fumbled too much. Perceived pressure turns into real pressure when you fumble the ball

1eyedog
14-07-2013, 09:11 PM
BANKERS:

Team effort pressure across the ground;

The coaching staff for telling the players to back themselves in and take risks (what did we have too lose - we should do this every week where possible);

We continually applied scoreboard pressure to a top 4 team - wow!

ANCHORS:

Some of the umpiring decisions came from Jupiter;

Agreed on comment re(guarding) the goal line. Roughie/Talia needed to be better a few times;

Jones unsighted for much of the second half of the match.

Dry Rot
14-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Bankers

The Rat and Hunter in a pressure game against a top 4 team

Libba

We have some good players lined up for our VFL side next year: Dickson, Addison and Wallis

Anchors

Field and boundary umpires

Whatever happened to Smith's knee

Channel 7 commentators - these guys are meant to know the game and each side - how did they miss that Watson was out? Very unprofessional - their audience deserves to be told this key fact

Hotdog60
14-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Anchors:

Smith's injury.
I'm just keeping everything crossed that it is not as serious as we all think.

Coach thinks it maybe a ACL, need to wait for the scans but it doesn't look good.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Bankers

Griff - a machine
Libba - doesn't take crap from anyone
Dal - back to his best
Dale - same old dale we love
The Rat - gun in the making
Whole team for effort

Accurate goal kicking for a change

Anchors

Robert Findlay another blatant error will Giesh admit this one too
Clays knee, that SUX
Annoying bombers supporters behind us pity the bulldogs members area wasn't full of bulldogs members

soupman
14-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Bankers

The usuals Liberatore, Griffen, Minson and Morris (every week).

Tutt: Much quieter in the second half but showed what we all hope he can be in the first. Loved his pass to Jones.

And a weird one considering others experiences but the Essendon supporters I sat with and around this evening were on their best behaviour and I can't really fault them, despite them being easily my most hated supporters. *However, the ones that really make me hate them aren't the type to bother turning up to games.

Anchors

Dickson: its been 3 games now and he has still yet to show that he deserves his spot whatsoever. Veszpremi's solitary game this year was pretty much on par with Dicksons last 3 and Vesz has had pretty good form at VFL level.

Addison: Tonight was the least like an AFL player he has looked. Very disappointed with his game as he is someone I think is decent. Have my doubts now.

Roughead: This isn't an anchor really because I thought he was ok, but I think tonight was another example that he will not be the gamechanger in our forwardline that some seem to think he may be. Keep him in defence.

Others have mentioned the umpires as anchors. I would be inclined to agree with those posters.

Go_Dogs
14-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Roughead: This isn't an anchor really because I thought he was ok, but I think tonight was another example that he will not be the gamechanger in our forwardline that some seem to think he may be. Keep him in defence.

Don't disagree, but Dahlhaus' goal in the square was all based on Roughies contest and ability to bring the ball down neatly up against 3 defenders. He just couldn't get in front on the lead though and was behind his man when we looked to go through him.

SonofScray
14-07-2013, 10:23 PM
Bankers:

Clay Smith - he has given us plenty in a down year. Love his aggressive play. Hunts the ball and man. Going to end up my favourite Bulldog by the time his career wraps up. Feeling for him re: ACL.

Cooney - a return to form.

Grant - a solid return to the big show. Did the simple things well and still demonstrated his capacity to play the game at a level beyond what most people have pegged him at.

Anchors:

Essendon Football Club and its fan base - the worst collective of human beings to ever walk the Earth. Much akin to the Klu Klux Klan, the Nazis and Justin Beiber listeners. The world would be better off if they just crawled into a hole and died.

Addison - terrible game, a real shame as he hasn't put in many shockers this season.

Dickson - didn't give us a great deal? Hardly spotted him.

Lowey33
14-07-2013, 10:28 PM
Bankers:

* Libba is a jet.

* Loved the combo of Hrovat, Hunter and Dahlhaus running amok. Gave us plenty of energy and had the Bombers on the back foot.

* Gia's first 3 quarters were all class. We're going to miss his finishing skills next year.

Anchors:

* At least 4 goals were scored against us that could have easily been ushered over the goal line had we read the play better and got someone on the line. Lack of composure costs us.

* Mitch Wallis is on struggle street. Fumbles under the slightest pressure and has no real weapons.

* Some of the umpiring was questionable. Essendon cheats enough as it is, do they need any more help?
Why wouldn't gia play on next year? Surely he'd be on bugger all. So it wouldn't be cap space..

jeemak
14-07-2013, 10:38 PM
Bankers:

Dahl - Thought he persisted when it was looking as if he'd struggle to impact the game early. Fantastic contribution

Grant - Worked hard even when ignored, which as often, and continued to present. His fitness will step up a notch after his first senior game for the year and he needs to ensure this is his expected minimum output

Griff - I wish we had the appropriate support to get him more clean air

Libba - He's in the top handful of young players making a name for themselves competition wide

Goodes - I have been critical of his output, discipline, ball use etc, but today he played very well and should be commended for his effort

Anchors:

Addison - His hands were terrible today. I'm struggling to find a future for him at the club, and I don't think he should be kept on irrespective of the age and experience issues our list has

Picken - Maybe a bit rough on him, but I thought his bomb to three Essendon players in the last quarter after we won the ball (just after the Hrovat non-advantage) belied the reasons why I think he adds very limited value

Umpires - They've taken enough to this point, so don't need to add to this mention

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 11:33 PM
B.
Libba - He played like Boyd wasn't in the side today.
The Rat -Great game, Great name.
Cooney - Heading back in the right direction, we'll see how he goes next week.

A.
Clay's knee - Why aren't you as tough as your owner?
DFA - F = "Fumbles" I hope you had some shower gel after that game cause you are no chance with the bar.
Liam Jones - Shame cause his first half was good. But watching Dale Morris take on three opposition players then turn around to ask the umpire for a free kick when he needs you the most, isn't a good look.

SlimPickens
14-07-2013, 11:38 PM
Bankers-

Cooney- Finally some intensity. The chase of Stanton in the last was very good.

Dahl- forward pressure and hit the scoreboard. Very good small forwards game.

Hrovat- love this kid.

Anchors-
Picken- just having a shocking year.

Addison- missing targets, not good enough.

Smiths injury- just bloody sucks, massive kick in the guts.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 11:47 PM
Bankers:

The usual Griffen, Minson, Libba.
The Essendon gentleman who stood at the siren, shook our hands, congratulated us on a good effort considering we were bottom four vs top four, wished us well for the future and left without a smug word at all.
Grant's shepherding and team efforts. I was FURIOUS he got picked. And refused to watch it. But I did, and I'll give him credit, the effort was there today.

Anchors
This ridiculous notion that players, coaches, etc can't criticise poor umpiring. It's beyond stupid. Watch a soccer match — the umpire would have left the field in disgrace today. Hrovat not being paid a clear mark in front of goal, Stevens pinged for holding when not being tackled, the non-advantage goal, Minson being penalised for existence and the little green buggers refusing to acknowledge we have backs told a shocking story of how low the standards of umpiring in this sport are. Total lack of accountability plus a confusing-as-hell rule book have led to this mess and its a farce.

Mantis
14-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Bankers -

Libba - Star in the making.

Cooney - The effort was there today.. like it should be every week. Ditto for Grant.

Hrovat - Pick of the bunch so far.

Anchors -

Addison - Did he sign his exit papers today?... Very poor.

Dickson - Ditto... Gives us nothing.

Wallis - I can't see him having a long career with us.

AndrewP6
15-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Why wouldn't gia play on next year? Surely he'd be on bugger all. So it wouldn't be cap space..

You think? I doubt he's playing for peanuts.

bulldogtragic
15-07-2013, 12:46 AM
You think? I doubt he's playing for peanuts.
He's on the vets list isn't he? If so, he's on not much and only 50% counts to the cap.

Eastdog
15-07-2013, 12:56 AM
Bankers -

Libba - Star in the making.

Cooney - The effort was there today.. like it should be every week. Ditto for Grant.

Hrovat - Pick of the bunch so far.

Anchors -

Addison - Did he sign his exit papers today?... Very poor.

Dickson - Ditto... Gives us nothing.

Wallis - I can't see him having a long career with us.

He could be a late bloomer.

Remi Moses
15-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Wallis has gone backed to panicking like in his first year.
Long way to go career wise

whythelongface
15-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Bankers:

1/ Hrovat - for a kid playing his 5th game he was absolutely brillant. What a fantastic selection he was. Gee the class of '12 is going to be an awesome draft for our club.

2/ Libba - gun; gun; gun.

3/ Tutt and Grant - for two players who have struggled to get a game and cement a spot in the team they really showed what they can do. Tutt has pace and, whilst still having a long way to go, yesterday showed what he can offer. That run and kick into Jones was superb. Grant has the ability and shows what he can produce. He has a great set of hands. Both of these players have the X-factor and are required players in our future.

Anchors:

1/ 1st qtr blowout - there was no doubting our effort, unfortunately it was our execution that let us down creating turnovers from which Essendon scored quite freely. This cost us the game.

2/ Addison - I always like his endeavour and at times he shows us what he can do, however yesterday there were too many simple skill errors. Will continue to be a depth player at best.

3/ Dickson - had no impact up forward.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Banker.

Libba, Hrovat and Grant for taking his opportunity. Although I had to laugh at Comettis comment when the ball bounced off grants chest. "Trampoline Chest" he was referred to having

Special mention to Dalhaus, has been the livewire Dalhaus we're used to the last two weeks.

Even though its monday I don't wanna mention any Anchors, instead taking this as a loss I won't look back and be that disappointed about.

Ozza
15-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Bankers:

Hrovat - was terrific, inside and outside the contest.
Stevens - love what he brings to the side with his hard running, goal kicking, and is always happy to hold onto the footy until he finds the right option (even if it means wearing a bump or tackle).
Libba - Not sure where the stats finished - but at one point at double the clearances of anyone else on the ground.

Anchors:

Addison - had one or two good moments....but really let us down by not being clean up when the game was hot. He is a good honest tryer - but when the standard lifts, he gets left behind.
Dickson - because I forgot he was playing.
Umpiring - it was disgraceful. Not just the Melksham and 'non-advantage' decisions. It was bad all day.

Regarding Goodes - he had some Banker and Anchor moments....but he played too much of the game on Winderlich - who was best on - to be considered in the best players this week.

Twodogs
15-07-2013, 11:33 AM
He loves him though

I didn't get a message but he would have been very happy

:o I didnt say anything but I yelled Yessssssssssssssss!!!

Bankers:

Hrovat-Very smart footballer

Libba jr-Another great game

Morris-Does he ever lose a contest?

Anchors:

http://www.aflcommunityclub.com.au/uploads/pics/FINDLAY-Robert-246x316.jpg

Melsham's goal in the first quarter. How far do you need to be over the boundary line before the boundary umpire notices?

Clay Smith's injury. We just cant take a trick.

Eastdog
15-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Bankers

Grant - Did some good things for his first match of this season

Libba - Going to have a great career with us

Hrovat - Was very good yesterday and should of had one extra goal

Anchors

Umpires - They were really bad yesterday

Clay Smith ACL

How did people rate Gia's game? He did struggle at times I thought.

Ozza
15-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Bankers

Grant - Did some good things for his first match of this season

Libba - Going to have a great career with us

Hrovat - Was very good yesterday and should of had one extra goal

Anchors

Umpires - They were really bad yesterday

Clay Smith ACL

Apart from 2 uncharacteristic bad kicks going inside 50 - Gia was good. 24 touches and 2 goals is a pretty busy day across half forward - and he was often our only target once we caused a turnover.

whythelongface
15-07-2013, 03:57 PM

I thought he was terrific yesterday. There is life in the old dog yet.

He often cops a bagging about being too old and too slow but he has been invaluable to our team this year. He has lead our forward line (even when coming on as a reserve). I hope he continues for another season to continue to help and build our forward line.

westbulldog
15-07-2013, 05:19 PM
ANCHOR - the off the ball umpire who disallowed advantage to Hrovat - stopped our momentum in its tracks and possibly cost us the game. Can someone name that umpire ?

bulldogtragic
15-07-2013, 05:42 PM
ANCHOR - the off the ball umpire who disallowed advantage to Hrovat - stopped our momentum in its tracks and possibly cost us the game. Can someone name that umpire ?
The off the ball umpire actually paid advantage. The controlling umpire brought it back.

Ozza
15-07-2013, 05:48 PM
I'm not sure what has happened to the idea of the 'players advantage'.

Thats what we were being told last year....its the players that take the advantage by playing on etc.

Yesterday we got a free kick 70 out for goal - and by the time the ball was next controlled completely by us, Cooney had it at half back....but that was apparently to our 'advantage'.

The bulldog tragician
15-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Didn't we lose a match where at a critical point Daniel Cross elected to play on from a free and we got the explanation that it is up to the player? Anyone else remember this?

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 10:37 PM

I was interested in his body language with Grant. Didn't seem to be encouraging like he is with others, plus he completely ignored his lead at one stage and elected to kick to our smallest player (Dal) who had two defenders on him.

westbulldog
16-07-2013, 10:32 PM
The off the ball umpire actually paid advantage. The controlling umpire brought it back.

thanks for that, I must have heard incorrectly on the broadcast.

azabob
17-07-2013, 07:28 AM
thanks for that, I must have heard incorrectly on the broadcast.

The information BT provided really only became clear after the game. Everyone didn't know why it wasn't paid bar a few actual umpires!