PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 16 Edition

GVGjr
14-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Here we go again, once the match against Essendon is completed post the three things you've learned as a result of the game.

Be constructive but be honest.

EasternWest
14-07-2013, 06:55 PM
1. Lachie Hunter has footballer written all over him.

2. Clay Smith works really, really hard. Though Heppel was good for them, I think Clay did ok.

3. We have to work far too hard for our goals. We are still desperate for a CHF to fill the missing link.

comrade
14-07-2013, 07:02 PM
* If Libba isn't already in the best handful of inside mids in the comp already, he's damn close.

* Jarrad Grant gave us a bit up forward and deserves to play a string of games to save his career.

* Dahlhaus was back to his energetic best today. Dangerous around the goals and winning the ball back through relentless pressure. He set the standard that must be upheld for the remainder of the season.

How the hell did we lose to Melbourne?

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Libba will be better than his dad, and that's bloody good.

Granty played very well. Give him a decent run please.

So happy I started the Hrovat bandwagon 6 months ago :)

F'scary
14-07-2013, 07:16 PM
1. Grant is a better proposition up forward than Cordy.

2. Gia should continue next year.

3. Hrovat is looking like a great acquisition. Good selection with pick 21 - like Clay Smith with 17 the year before.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
14-07-2013, 07:23 PM
1. I've been critical of Smith as a 1st round pick, I always thought guys with his glaring deficiencies by foot were late picks. But given how compromised the draft in that year was, he definitely has the 'stuff' to be a crucial 'in the trenches' foot soldier. And I think his skills will come to the fore, once we get some more outside skill to complement our team. I really hope he hasn't done his knee today.

2. Hrovat and Hunter just look like very good AFL footballers in the making. Innate football nous. Our recruiting department deserve kudo's for 2012. You'd hope your recruiting department get it right with picks 5 and 6 -Stringer and Macrae, but they've nailed their later picks in Hrovat and Hunter too. Something we haven't done in a long while (since 99). Here's hoping Prudden can add to that list.

3. Dale Morris is still critical in 2014. 11 1%ers today and just is a great role model for an inexperienced defense.

FrediKanoute
14-07-2013, 07:24 PM
1. Grant is a better proposition up forward than Cordy.

2. Gia should continue next year.

3. Hrovat is looking like a great acquisition. Good selection with pick 21 - like Clay Smith with 17 the year before.

Ditto.....exactly my thoughts. In regards Hrovat, and the other 2012 draftees they are good, really good!

Hot_Doggies
14-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Libba will be better than his dad, and that's bloody good.

Granty played very well. Give him a decent run please.

So happy I started the Hrovat bandwagon 6 months ago :)

Grant played very well? Turn it up BT!

He had a few touches but didn't do much. Kicking (horrible ball drop and contact) will always be limiting.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 07:28 PM
1. I've been critical of Smith as a 1st round pick, I always thought guys with his glaring deficiencies by foot were late picks. But given how compromised the draft in that year was, he definitely has the 'stuff' to be a crucial 'in the trenches' foot soldier. And I think his skills will come to the fore, once we get some more outside skill to complement our team. I really hope he hasn't done his knee today.

2. Hrovat and Hunter just look like very good AFL footballers in the making. Innate football nous. Our recruiting department deserve kudo's for 2012. You'd hope your recruiting department get it right with picks 5 and 6 -Stringer and Macrae, but they've nailed their later picks in Hrovat and Hunter too. Something we haven't done in a long while (since 99). Here's hoping Prudden can add to that list.

3. Dale Morris is still critical in 2014. 11 1%ers today and just is a great role model for an inexperienced defense.

Seeing him on crutches and in tears after the game I'm pretty sure he's gone

always right
14-07-2013, 07:29 PM
The top sides not only get the rub of the green...they get the whole ficking green.

Gia and Murph must play on.

Tutt has a future...if he wants it bad enough.

Remi Moses
14-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Just back from the game.
3 Hrovat's a ripper
2 Essendon are shot without Watson
1 I'll leave the worst til last.
We had a few comments about them and their injection of banned drugs.
Someone called security and claimed we'd been racially vilifying players.
Vermin, Cheating football club with smarmy, obnoxious lying scum supporters .

always right
14-07-2013, 07:31 PM

He had a few touches but didn't do much. Kicking (horrible ball drop and contact) will always be limiting.

Going by your criteria we should wite off Smith nd Talia as well. Grant was nothing great but he gave us more than Cordy and Stringer have in recent weeks.

Remi Moses
14-07-2013, 07:32 PM
The top sides not only get the rub of the green...they get the whole ficking green.

Gia and Murph must play on.

Tutt has a future...if he wants it bad enough.

Thought Tutts intensity was good today.
Clearly been a focus

chef
14-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Exactly the same way Ablett does it, not he's as good but it's the same action.

Dog54
14-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Hrovat finally a skilful midfielder with great football sense. Makes good decisions !

Grant must play every week. He is an AFL player

Libba will be a great finals player when we get there next

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 07:37 PM
We played good competitive football ....... but gee, our skills are poor.

always right
14-07-2013, 07:38 PM
We played good competitive football ....... but gee, our skills are poor.

Wow...that's all you learned after an effort like that?

Ghost Dog
14-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Some of our posters predicted we would lose by about 70 + points. One thing I have learned is we have an excellent small forward line.

Hotdog60
14-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Interesting calls for Gia to play on next year. I'm not a Gia hater but I still have concerns about his lack of pace coming out of the forward line. If he goes on it will need to be deep, Hunter isn't overly pacey either but he could be Gia's replacement. And don't forget Higgins has to come back in the side.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 07:45 PM

Against one of the best defences, in his first game, with poor-ish ball movement.

So yes, I thought he was absolutely in the good column.

F'scary
14-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Interesting calls for Gia to play on next year. I'm not a Gia hater but I still have concerns about his lack of pace coming out of the forward line. If he goes on it will need to be deep, Hunter isn't overly pacey either but he could be Gia's replacement. And don't forget Higgins has to come back in the side.

We'll need him in the least for a bit of depth in the playing list.

bulldogtragic
14-07-2013, 07:56 PM

@westernbulldogs: McCartney: To be brutally honest we've been waiting for consistency in Jarrad Grant's game before we brought him in. He was very good today.

Maybe BMac and I were watching another game :)

By my stats: 11 kicks, 5 marks (1 cont), 8 hand balls, 4 inside 50's, 2 goal assist, 2 tackles, 1 goal

Before I Die
14-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Yes, Grant played well. Re-watch the game and give credit where credit is due.

Stefcep
14-07-2013, 08:21 PM
1. Decision making for some players is at under 11's level.
2. hand and foot passing is just too inaccurate too often .
3. This is why we have to work far far too hard to score.

Templeton31
14-07-2013, 08:23 PM
1. The 2012 draft will be as good for us as 99 was. MaCrae, Hrovat, Stringer, Hunter and I've left some out....
2. We work v v hard, good at contested possession and clearance (although probably helped by that being Essendon; first game without Jobe) but then waste so much of our good work with poor skills/decision making.
3. We're gonna miss Gia when he goes at end of year.

ReLoad
14-07-2013, 08:29 PM
1. Roughy is not a forward.
2. Hrovat is a champ, he reminds me of a young Luke Power.
3. Boyd needs to find another role in the team because we look way better without him in the middle.

westdog54
14-07-2013, 08:34 PM
1. Clay Smith is a very, very clever footballer.

2. Jarrad Grant may yet have a career on his hands.

3. I wish I could open the AFL rule book and burn the page where the advantage rule was written.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 08:40 PM
1. Jarrad Grant isn't that bad.

2. Clay is a beast.

3. We have some terrible luck, must've pissed off the footy gods.

G-Mo77
14-07-2013, 08:44 PM
1. The 2012 draft will be as good for us as 99 was. MaCrae, Hrovat, Stringer, Hunter and I've left some out....

Prudden was the other and was doing OK before he got injured.

bornadog
14-07-2013, 08:46 PM

What game were you watching?

1eyedog
14-07-2013, 08:58 PM
1/ Jarrad Grant will play next week :) but Clay Smith won't :mad:

2/ When we take risks and move the ball fast we score more heavily even though there is every chance we will get burnt on turn overs and rebounds. Our game style today kept us in the match.

3/ Dahl's forward pressure was huge.

Topdog
14-07-2013, 08:58 PM
Prudden was the other and was doing OK before he got injured.

and we got Stevens as well :D

Nuggety Back Pocket
14-07-2013, 10:21 PM
1. Hrovat will be a star. Showed poise and class today.
2. Grant proved to be a good inclusion.
3. We cannot afford to keep playing Addison Dickson and Wallis.

SonofScray
14-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Just back from the game.
3 Hrovat's a ripper
2 Essendon are shot without Watson
1 I'll leave the worst til last.
We had a few comments about them and their injection of banned drugs.
Someone called security and claimed we'd been racially vilifying players.
Vermin, Cheating football club with smarmy, obnoxious lying scum supporters .

:mad: Flogs. That is a low act. Deserves a belting.

3. Essendon fans didn't find it amusing when I suggested ASADA might want to take a swab to Heppel as he came off with the blood rule. Sooks. Just a bit of banter.

2. Grant can make it.

1. Libba is A+ material, does it all.

Eastdog
14-07-2013, 11:14 PM
1. Libba is going to be a star.

2. We have bad skill level which lets us down

3. We need a key forward which would greatly improve things.

LostDoggy
14-07-2013, 11:42 PM
1. Libba is going to be a star.

2. We have bad skill level which lets us down

3. We need a key forward which would greatly improve things.

EastDog surely you didn't just learn these things in round 16?

Eastdog
14-07-2013, 11:50 PM
EastDog surely you didn't just learn these things in round 16?

I put the whole picture of what I've learnt from our season so far.

In that case for Round 16

1. Grant was alright for his first game of the season.

2. Murph is another veteran we need to hang on to.

3. The umpires and rules committee need to have a good look at themselves.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 12:02 AM
1. Grant was alright for his first game of the season.

Agreed.
I think this is the best descripition of Grant's game too. Not sugar coating but also not blowing any wind up his bum either.

Eastdog
15-07-2013, 12:15 AM
Agreed.
I think this is the best descripition of Grant's game too. Not sugar coating but also not blowing any wind up his bum either.

I said in the Jarrad Grant thread that we need to play him for the rest of the season and see where he is at. I hope he can make it.

Mofra
15-07-2013, 12:39 AM
Maybe BMac and I were watching another game :)

By my stats: 11 kicks, 5 marks (1 cont), 8 hand balls, 4 inside 50's, 2 goal assist, 2 tackles, 1 goal
1. Considering it's his first game at senor AFL level for some time, I was very (pleasantly) surprised by Grant's game. Put a Stringer next to him and see what happens.

2. The 2012 draft is our '99 all over again - Hrovat excellent, Hunter looks like he'll make the grade

3. We actually have some decent tall kids developing and the basis for a spine

Remi Moses
15-07-2013, 04:43 AM
:mad: Flogs. That is a low act. Deserves a belting.

3. Essendon fans didn't find it amusing when I suggested ASADA might want to take a swab to Heppel as he came off with the blood rule. Sooks. Just a bit of banter.

2. Grant can make it.

1. Libba is A+ material, does it all.

I think the only racial reference we made was calling them East Germany.
Pretty pathetic, but just typical

Ozza
15-07-2013, 12:43 PM
1. Koby Stevens is a great pick up. Love what he brings to the side.

2. Jason Tutt can make it - and is one of the few players who use it really well going inside 50. Made a mistake when he passed to Dickson instead of going for goal - but thought he ball use otherwise, was terrific. Great to see a player actually kick it to the advantage of Liam Jones!

3. Perhaps Gia should be retained on the list next year. Even if he doesn't play much or at all. Offer him one year - make it a coaching type playing role - as I think everyone is benefitting from him being around. If he really falls off the pace badly - then he is still around at VFL level where he'd be incredibly valuable to the development of our young forwards, and the overall competitiveness of the VFL side. Just keep him at the club!

Mantis
15-07-2013, 12:52 PM
1. Koby Stevens is a great pick up. Love what he brings to the side.

See I dont.

I see him as a one-paced mid who reacts slowly when players are around him, handballs to stationary players in worse position than himself and doesn't expend too much energy chasing.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I don't see him as someone who will help us get to where we want to go.

Ozza
15-07-2013, 01:08 PM
See I dont.

I see him as a one-paced mid who reacts slowly when players are around him, handballs to stationary players in worse position than himself and doesn't expend too much energy chasing.

Maybe I'm being harsh, but I don't see him as someone who will help us get to where we want to go.

Personally, I think you are being harsh. Thought he was terrific yesterday. I think he goes well at Etihad and when the game is a real end to end game like yesterday.

Is a goal kicker too - as we saw against St.Kilda.

He is still very young also. Respect your different opinion, but at the moment I'm glad we've got him.

F'scary
15-07-2013, 01:23 PM
I think the only racial reference we made was calling them East Germany.
Pretty pathetic, but just typical

Essendon: The Kornelia Ender memorial team.

SlimPickens
15-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Personally, I think you are being harsh. Thought he was terrific yesterday. I think he goes well at Etihad and when the game is a real end to end game like yesterday.

Is a goal kicker too - as we saw against St.Kilda.

He is still very young also. Respect your different opinion, but at the moment I'm glad we've got him.

Tend to agree Ozza. We forget he still is 21/22 years old and is yet to play 30 games.
His ferocity at the contest and willingness to take the game on makes him an important player.
Thought he was very good yesterday.

F'scary
15-07-2013, 01:25 PM
See I dont.

Bit harsh. He has got one best on ground already with us this season.

bornadog
15-07-2013, 01:57 PM
See I dont.

I tend to agree with you. He racked up the stats but did nothing with the ball. He was very indecisive and put others under pressure. I for one was disappointed with him yesterday.

LostDoggy
15-07-2013, 05:11 PM
1. We need more damaging and longer kickers coming into goal as well as coming into the forward line. Essendon kick them from a long way out.

2. Hard to tell from the TV but do we have too many 'smaller' players (maybe they just look like that because they are young). We really must be aiming for more mobile taller mid sized players who can gain separation better.

3. We played better at Etihad with its stillness, but we have been less than impressive in open arenas with weather variables to contend with. Because our skills are not so good then and we have trouble getting meterage. So we bomb the ball forward or go round in circles, slowly.

4. We still have problems with oppositions transitioning from defence. If the ball gets out from a stoppage, we are done because too many are in at the contest. Still need to construct a ring around the contest for when we don't win the ball.

Our best game so far.

Remi Moses
15-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Jobe Watson accepts his Brownlow Medal:362

Nice!!

JamesInCanberra
15-07-2013, 06:43 PM
Tom Liberatore may well challenge Ryan Griffen for the B&F, THIS YEAR.

Nathan Hrovat is a genuine steal at 21. Likewise Lachie Hunter at 50.

I'm not sure what exactly Tory Dickson offers at the moment. He doesn't have the skill or craftiness of Gia or the tenacity or zip of Dahl. Not impacting the contest at all.

HOSE B ROMERO
15-07-2013, 07:47 PM
1. Our boys work as hard if not harder than any in the league

2. Give our supporters a sniff and they are as vocal and passionate as any clubs.

F'scary
15-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Nice!!

I knew you would like. Obviously, the photo is before the peptides really kicked in and he grew his beard and balls.

LostDoggy
19-07-2013, 12:44 AM
1. Our boys work as hard if not harder than any in the league

2. Give our supporters a sniff and they are as vocal and passionate as any clubs.

3. Stop betting so much I lost a bundle on us again...