PDA

View Full Version : Careers that defied the debut

bulldogtragic
18-07-2013, 03:37 PM
I was too young, my dad keeps banging on about John Georgiades. Said he thought the sky was the limit after one game and 8 goals! But alas....

In my time, landing Jade Rawlings and him kicking 7 on debut for us. I was thinking how clever the Veale Deal was. But alas.....

Whose career just couldn't match the debut?

LongWait
18-07-2013, 03:47 PM
Jason Tutt (...thus far at least.) Hopefully not Clay Smith.

Ozza
18-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Brad Murphy had 25 possessions and 2 goals in his first game - against the eventual premier (Port).

After 25 possessions in his first game....he only had 45 in total in the remaining 6 games of his career.

Ozza
18-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Ben Sexton kicked 5 in his first game. He ended up playing 39 games, and kicked 6 one day against North Melbourne (so did big Illija Grgic that day)....but probably didn't live up to promise he showed on debut overall.

1eyedog
18-07-2013, 04:29 PM
Outside our club I believe Mark McGough had a killer debut followed by the Anzac Day medal in his second game?

Might be wrong there but he must have only played 20-30 games all up.

LostDoggy
18-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Kieran McGuinness - 4 goals against Essendon in a drawn game at the dome. It looked like our knack for picking dud forwards was over, but alas we didn't see alot of him at afl level

GVGjr
18-07-2013, 07:24 PM
I was too young, my dad keeps banging on about John Georgiades. Said he thought the sky was the limit after one game and 8 goals! But alas....

In my time, landing Jade Rawlings and him kicking 7 on debut for us. I was thinking how clever the Veale Deal was. But alas.....

Whose career just couldn't match the debut?

It was against Carlton and from memory Georgiades even backed it up in his 2nd game by kicking a few goals.

By his 3rd of 4th games etc he was copping the best defender each week and that was never going to work. He kicked 27 goals in 15 games.

I saw him play as a CHB in the reserves and he performed well. A couple of weeks later he was heading home.

Remi Moses
18-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Georgiades was to slow to make it.

bornadog
18-07-2013, 07:30 PM
It was against Carlton and from memory Georgiades even backed it up in his 2nd game by kicking a few goals.

By his 3rd of 4th games etc he was copping the best defender each week and that was never going to work. He kicked 27 goals in 15 games.

I saw him play as a CHB in the reserves and he performed well. A couple of weeks later he was heading home.

Kicked two the following week and 19 for the season. (from 9 games) Hung on till 1991 playing 3 games in 1990, and 3 in 1991

LostDoggy
18-07-2013, 07:57 PM

Lacked a lot of ticker and opposition teams focused on that

LostDoggy
18-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Brad Murphy had 25 possessions and 2 goals in his first game - against the eventual premier (Port).

After 25 possessions in his first game....he only had 45 in total in the remaining 6 games of his career.

Hate him. Only Bulldogs player I've ever truly hated. So glad he's gone. So glad I got to say my goodbyes too.

GVGjr
18-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Hate him. Only Bulldogs player I've ever truly hated. So glad he's gone. So glad I got to say my goodbyes too.

He was very arrogant and thought every time the ball entered the forward line his team mates should be looking to kick it to him. He had ability but I never thought much of him.

SonofScray
18-07-2013, 11:28 PM

Why, out of interest? He seemed a bit soft, from what I recall. Rocked the long sleeves at some stage though, which gets a nod.

This thread made me think of K Mac straight away.

LostDoggy
19-07-2013, 12:40 AM

Was behind the goals for most of them that day

Twodogs
19-07-2013, 01:05 AM
Ross Christensen. I think he's the dad of the kid at Geelong. Kicked 5 from CHF for us but was never sighted again.

always right
19-07-2013, 10:20 AM
Not sure if it was his first game but remember Alan Jennings kicking six goals against the bombers at Windy Hill. I think he only lasted a season.

The classic one was John Riley from SA who we played in spite of the VFL saying he couldn't. The VFL won the battle however and Riley never played for us again. If I recall correctly he was something like a nuclear physicist...........pretty sure he was the only nuclear physicist to play VFL/AFL....certainly the only one we've seen on the Western/Whitten Oval.

Twodogs
19-07-2013, 10:58 AM
Not sure if it was his first game but remember Alan Jennings kicking six goals against the bombers at Windy Hill. I think he only lasted a season.

He kicked 5 goals in each of his first 2 games. Retired from football at the end of 1982 due to heart problems from memory.

The classic one was John Riley from SA who we played in spite of the VFL saying he couldn't. The VFL won the battle however and Riley never played for us again. If I recall correctly he was something like a nuclear physicist...........pretty sure he was the only nuclear physicist to play VFL/AFL....certainly the only one we've seen on the Western/Whitten Oval.

And drove the brand new car the footy club bought him back to Adelaide after that game...

Olympic sprinter Shirley Strickland was a nuclear physisist.

always right
19-07-2013, 11:13 AM
Olympic sprinter Shirley Strickland was a nuclear physisist.

Who did she play for?

LostDoggy
19-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Why, out of interest? He seemed a bit soft, from what I recall. Rocked the long sleeves at some stage though, which gets a nod.

This thread made me think of K Mac straight away.

One of my best mates had him and a few mates come down and play in their team in the Mornington league. His opinion was there wasn't enough bath water that'd satisfy Brads' own thrist.