HF: Giansiracusa Jones Hrovat
F: Addison Grant Dahlhaus
FOLL: Minson Wallis Griffen
I/C FROM: Macrae Tutt Picken Dickson
IN: Macrae
OUT: Smith (knee)

Recent Form

Hawthorn
Hawthorn really kicked into gear last week against a spirited Port Adelaide. Where the dogs were able to really challenge another top four side in Essendon, Hawthorn were able to put the pedal down and really pull0 away from Port. Port are further into their development than the young dogs, but were still no match for the experienced and well drilled Hawks.
The big question currently with Hawthorn is where will Buddy Franklin be in 2014, but if the past 4-6 weeks is anything to go by, they should barely even care. Roughead is in career best form whilst Jack Gunston is a great third tall who seems to lift a gear and play even better when Franklin isn’t about.

Western Bulldogs
The Dogs have only won 1 of their last 5 games and have shown the inconsistency often witnessed in young teams. Poor losses to Melbourne, Richmond and a poor win against GWS all stand against a really positive effort against Essendon on the weekend. Jarrad Grant came in last week and impressed more than a few whilst Nathan Hrovat was extremely busy and unlucky to not get a rising star nomination.
Clay Smith was an unfortunate casualty from the Don’s game and his hardness will be missed, however Macrae will come in after a week off to refresh and his ability to navigate in traffic should assist a team often lacking clean disposal in the middle.

Key Match Ups

Roughead vs Talia
Roughead is in career best form and the mobile big man has been damaging on the scoreboard this season, booting 5 goals last week and kicking an accurate 47.17 behinds this year. Roughead’s ability to also go into the Ruck is an added string to his bow, as he can be that Dean Cox’ like ruckman who becomes another skilful midfielder once the ball hits the deck.
Talia has been playing fantastic football in his second AFL season and shown a rare ability to get to the right spots and rack up possessions whilst closing down his opponent. I can also see Jordan getting spending a bit of time on his cousin, particularly if he pushes deep.
I’m not sure that Talia will play the entire game on Roughead but this will be a huge learning experience for the young man and he will really need to be focused, as Roughead has many strengths and an experienced football brain with plenty of tricks.

Morris vs Gunston
Gunston also booted 5 goals last week and as has been previously mentioned, his games this year, particularly without Buddy, have shown whilst Adelaide supporters are still unhappy they let him go. As the second most potent weapon inside the Hawthorn forwardline, Gunston’s ability to poach goals as well as be an aerial target will prove a challenge for any defender.
Morris has been a welcome addition to the bulldogs backline this year after recovering from a broken leg. Whilst his form so far has wavered, his endeavour never changes and the dogs backline benefits enormously from having his experience in the back half. The Gloves confidence should be high after coming off an excellent performance against Michael Hurley.
The Glove should be able to get on top of Gunston and smother him provided the dogs midfield can apply enough pressure on the hawthorn ball carriers to help him out.

Griffen vs Lewis
Griffen is capable of changing a game. He’s a player who provides spark and leadership by his actions, has good pace and his skills are elite. Griff had a relatively quiet game last week by his lofty standards and for the dogs to be any chance, he will have to bring his A game. Griff is an inspirational player but a skilful one too and he can really boost the confidence of those players around him with his actions.
One of the real hardnuts around the middle for Hawthorn, Lewis is often spoken about as an after thought with other names like Franklin, Hodge,Rioli, Roughead and Mitchell in the brown and yellow. Make no mistake, Lewis is a tough, competitive and skilful footballer, who leaves nothing out on the field and also has the power to inspire.
I see these two going head to head quite a bit during this weeks game and each will try to lead through their actions. Lewis will probably sacrifice a little of his usual link up game in trying to negate Griff’s ability to influence the clearance work on the day.

Libba vs Mitchell
Libba has been a revelation in his third year, leading the league in clearances despite just 48 games. Libba leads the dogs in clearances, contested possessions and tackles, whilst also placing second in rebound 50s and inside 50s, highlighting his ability to balance a strong inside game with a damaging outside game. He has also shown a knack for kicking the odd goal and a crucial moment. This kid is on his way to stardom and it will make for fantastic viewing seeing him go up against one of the great little men of the modern era.
Everyone in the league knows the class of Mitchell and his smart use of the football in and around the contest is a crucial cog in the Hawks engine room. Mitchell’s experience will be going up against Libba’s genetics in this one, and with wet weather forecast, whichever of these guys can get their team first use of the ball this Saturday will have gone an enormous way towards determining a win for their team.

Where the game will be won and lost

Hawthorns experience across every line of the field combined with their strong discipline, tactical nous and damaging forwardline are likely to be too much for the inexperienced dogs. However, with wet weather forecast, the contested ball loving dogs could turn this into a real scrap. I expect the dogs to win the clearances and midfield battles but struggling to generate scoring options once the ball leaves the confidence against a hawk’s team who are expert in denying the opposition space. If hawthorn feels they can go easy since they have effectively wrapped up a top four spot and are only playing a team with 4 wins for the year, then we may be able to get the jump on them. However, the experienced and ever demanding Clarkson will leave little to chance.

Final verdict

No Burgoyne or Franklin helps, but I just can’t see the dogs being able to generate enough scoring options to trouble the Hawks. Hawthorn by 55

Go_Dogs
19-07-2013, 08:28 AM
Nice work on the preview mate, like the look of the match ups and think it's a good summation of where we're at. Hoping we can put in another competitive performance and the outs for Hawthorn should assist in that regard.

Ghost Dog
19-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Nice rundown Winberga. Rotations will have to be handled carefully and our mids are going to have to kick goals.

G-Mo77
19-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Nice work.

Really looking forward to the Morris/Gunston matchup. He's been outstanding this year but hasn't had a player like the Glove stick to him.

Rioli always seems to cause us a few headaches. Who goes with him?

Again we seem a little smaller, not complaint, something a little unconventional can work in our favor......slightly.

Are we expecting a wet day? I'm going to assume Cross is making the trip over and think we may roll him out if the conditions suit.

bornadog
19-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Well done Wimberga, match ups are always the key. Macca did mention that the cousins may play on each other at some stage; now that will be interesting.

The only hope we have is taking confidence from the 1 point win in the NAB cup game earlier in the year. Hawks are not going to drop this one and are looking dangerous for the finals. I think we can match them in the midfield but as always kicking goals will be our biggest issue.

wimberga
19-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Rioli is a tough one to matchup on and I can see Picken spending the majority of the game on him. Given he is coming back from injury I decided not to make him a key matchup but we all know that he is capable of breaking a game wide open and we will therefore need a strong niggling game from Picken to unsettle and frustrate him.

bornadog
19-07-2013, 11:30 AM
Rioli is a tough one to matchup on and I can see Picken spending the majority of the game on him. Given he is coming back from injury I decided not to make him a key matchup but we all know that he is capable of breaking a game wide open and we will therefore need a strong niggling game from Picken to unsettle and frustrate him.

Picken has fixed up Rioli a few times (if there is such a thing:D)

1eyedog
19-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Nice write up.

Franklin and Bourgie out for them is a help. Sewell still not recalled.

If the conditions are testing scores may be low and anything can happen.

bornadog
19-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Nice write up.

Franklin and Bourgie out for them is a help. Sewell still not recalled.

If the conditions are testing scores may be low and anything can happen.

Showers and Storms, top temperature of 11 :eek:

Go_Dogs
19-07-2013, 08:31 PM

So similar to current Melbourne weather? :D (Although today was quite nice)

Back on track, we need to be mindful of the Hawks smaller brigade who can score multiple goals. It's going to require a real team effort working back to prevent them easy opportunities and opportunities from around the 50m arch.

Greystache
19-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Great preview Wimberga, really enjoyed it.

I like your match ups and think we can give a reasonable account of ourselves. Hawthorn aren't overly quick across the ground and if we can match them for contested possession we should be competitive.

F'scary
19-07-2013, 11:22 PM

I would like to think that this would be a leveller. But then I recall that game at the SCG last year. :eek: :eek:

bornadog
19-07-2013, 11:47 PM
I would like to think that this would be a leveller. But then I recall that game at the SCG last year. :eek: :eek:

I think the showers and storms would favour a more mature team. I think the scoring won't be as easy for the Hawks though compared to a dry day. As for us, we may be lucky to get it in the forward 50.

Ghost Dog
20-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Can we justify Dylan Addison's spot in the team? At a time when skills are in deficit, Young and Cross, two very competitive and skilled players, will be twiddling their thumbs on the sidelines.

G-Mo77
20-07-2013, 12:38 PM
Sewell looks to be coming in for the Hawks. Did Cross go over with the team? Perfectly suited for this type of game.

Eastdog
20-07-2013, 12:46 PM
I always tip us each week but realistically what I want to see is the 4 qtr effort from our team against are strong side in Hawthorn. If we don't have a go and lose badly then that will be very disappointing but if we give it a red hot crack and still lose but not by too much then we can take a lot of positives from that. Hopefully the wet weather will help us but I don't think it will make to much of a difference.

G-Mo77
20-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Sewell in Mitchell out for the Hawks.

No late change for us.

Hunter is sub.

always right
20-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Can we justify Dylan Addison's spot in the team? At a time when skills are in deficit, Young and Cross, two very competitive and skilled players, will be twiddling their thumbs on the sidelines.

Wet weather normally sees the most skilled players shine.....but it can also be ideal for grunt players like Addison with his work ethic and tackling pressure. Put him on Hodge.

wimberga
20-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Man it was great seeing Morris towel up Gunston

SlimPickens
20-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Man it was great seeing Morris towel up Gunston

Jack got a big lesson today. Thought our defenders toiled well considering the amount of entries (particularly early).