PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 17

GVGjr
20-07-2013, 03:32 PM
This is the round 17 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

Greystache
20-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Probably a few players that could fit into both categories today.

Eastdog
20-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Bankers

Libba - going to be great

Gia - so important to hang on to him

Griffen - Try's so hard

Anchors

Grant - needs to get some confidence and improve his goal kicking. In saying though it is good that he is playing now and not at Willi and that will only get his confidence at AFL level up.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Bankers

Libba - going to be great

Gia - so important to hang on to him

Griffen - Try's so hard

Anchors

Grant - needs to get some confidence and improve his goal kicking. In saying though it is good that he is playing now and not at Willi and that will only get his confidence at AFL level up.
He had 9 of 21 score involvements. 8 marks, 16 possies, tackles, inside 50's.

Geez. Maybe we should get Panos back if you label him an anchor...

Eastdog
20-07-2013, 05:49 PM

Yeah those stats are a positive but the main reason I put him as anchor was based on his goal kicking as I stated. With all the other stats he wouldn't be an anchor.

G-Mo77
20-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Yeah did well but still missed goals, after all the forwards job is to kick them. His third shot was a howler.

Remi Moses
20-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Bankers - the experienced players all led the way today

Anchors- The poise skill and linebreaking isn't there
Koby Stevens - gets a lot of it, but his decision making and execution was very poor
Tory Dickson - has to get more involved

bornadog
20-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Bankers

* Griffen - he is a machine

* Grant - really has put some spark into the forwrad line, just needs to be more accurate

* Gia - can't beat his experience and smart play

Anchors

* Goal Kicking - We had lots of set shots in the first half and missed 7 times

* Addison - Got to do a lot more than take three marks and have only 8 disposals. - Good VFL player

* Our finishing skills, once more cost us the game.

always right
20-07-2013, 06:17 PM
B:
1. Cooney...making me eat my words at the moment
2. Gia....one more year
3. Libba....consist performance week after week

A:
1. Stevens..I like him but FFS stop putting team mates under pressure
2. Wallis...was better today but really needs to sort out his kicking
3. Injury to Goodes

westdog54
20-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Bankers.

Griff. Showing the kids how its done.
Cooney. That's more like it CoonDog!
Gia. 28 Touches, just continues to defy father time.

Anchors.

Stevens. No composure whatsoever, his kicks seemed to go straight to a Hawk and his handballs always seemed to be to a player under pressure.
Dickson. Barely any impact whatsoever. Surely has to make way for Stringer next week.
Grant, not for his game overall which I thought was very good but for his goalkicking. Missed some that a key forward needs to nail.

Twodogs
20-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Bankers:

Gia. He's in career best form.

Roughy. He was beaten to the first 3 contests by his cousin but I don't think he lost another for the rest of the game.

Dale Morris. He just repels attack after attack

No Anchors. We put an honest shift in.

SlimPickens
20-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Anchors:

Roughy. He was beaten to the first 3 contests by his cousin but I don't think he lost another for the rest of the game.

No Bankers. We put an honest shift in.

You've confused me:confused:

Ghost Dog
20-07-2013, 09:36 PM
Bankers: Griffalicious ( as Bruce should say, but won't )

Anchors: The coach for always banging on about how great the opposition players and teams are in press conferences. Seriously, respect to the opposition is healthy, but just once or maybe twice is enough thanks coach.

Eastdog
20-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Was Dale Morris more banker or more anchor. Definitely helps our young defenders.

LostDoggy
20-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Anchors:

No Bankers. We put an honest shift in.

I almost did this last week.

westdog54
20-07-2013, 10:25 PM
You've confused me:confused:

Fixed on Twodogs' behalf

westdog54
20-07-2013, 10:30 PM
Was Dale Morris more banker or more anchor. Definitely helps our young defenders.

What do you think Eastdog?

Eastdog
20-07-2013, 10:35 PM
What do you think Eastdog?

Probably in between but that's just me.

bulldogtragic
20-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Probably in between but that's just me.
How did his opponent go?

Mantis
21-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Bankers

Our effort - Can't fault it.

Libba - Keeps getting the job done.

Cooney - Another good one.

Anchors

Our execution - needs improvement

Stevens - I have a new whipping boy.

Wallis - only 3 kicks... Maybe that's a good thing?

Greystache
21-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Stevens - I have a new whipping boy

Agree, all I see is a hard at it battler.

bornadog
21-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Stevens - I have a new whipping boy.

Whilst I agree his decision making is poor at 21 years if age and less than 40 games he deserves some slack. He has the ability to get the ball, he tackles and pressures the ball carrier, just needs to learn to be more effective once he has the ball

Twodogs
21-07-2013, 12:32 AM
I almost did this last week.

It was probably a Freudian slip on my behalf. I don't have a very high opinion of bankers! ;)

Fixed on Twodogs' behalf

Cheers Mr 54.

Maddog37
21-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Agree, all I see is a hard at it battler.

Already forgotten his game against the Saints Stache?

Greystache
21-07-2013, 01:51 AM
Already forgotten his game against the Saints Stache?

No but I don't judge a player based on one good game or one bad one. I just don't see a player who can replicate that type of performance regularly. If he's to become a solid AFL he needs to improve in a number of areas.

ratsmac
21-07-2013, 02:01 AM
BANKERS
1. Cooney - best game for a while
2. Libba - clearance king.
3. Griffen - just hand him the captaincy now.

ANCHORS
1. Stevens - didn't have a great day
2. Set shots - Grant the main culprit, but others missed simple goals too.
3. Umpires - the Hawks get the 50/50 decisions and we didn't.
4. Kyle Cheney - that miss just makes our game look silly

Maddog37
21-07-2013, 10:37 AM
No but I don't judge a player based on one good game or one bad one. I just don't see a player who can replicate that type of performance regularly. If he's to become a solid AFL he needs to improve in a number of areas.

I agree but he does have scope to be more than just a battler.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Yeah those stats are a positive but the main reason I put him as anchor was based on his goal kicking as I stated. With all the other stats he wouldn't be an anchor.

You're a hard task master on those stats Eastdog. Hope you wouldn't prefer Ayce Cordy back in the forward line!

Remi Moses
21-07-2013, 05:07 PM
BANKERS
1. Cooney - best game for a while
2. Libba - clearance king.
3. Griffen - just hand him the captaincy now.

ANCHORS
1. Stevens - didn't have a great day
2. Set shots - Grant the main culprit, but others missed simple goals too.
3. Umpires - the Hawks get the 50/50 decisions and we didn't.
4. Kyle Cheney - that miss just makes our game look silly

Was it just my TV, or did Cheney have a fair roof over the toolshed?

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Bankers

* Griffen - he is a machine

* Grant - really has put some spark into the forwrad line, just needs to be more accurate

* Gia - can't beat his experience and smart play

Anchors

* Goal Kicking - We had lots of set shots in the first half and missed 7 times

* Addison - Got to do a lot more than take three marks and have only 8 disposals. - Good VFL player

* Our finishing skills, once more cost us the game.

Meanwhile, over at the Hawks fan forums, they're discussing delisting Cyril Rioli to play at Box Hill. :rolleyes:

Remi Moses
21-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Meanwhile, over at the Hawks fan forums, they're discussing delisting Cyril Rioli to play at Box Hill. :rolleyes:

Didn't Picken play on Rioli?
Surely you're not comparing Addison to Rioli?

bulldogtragic
21-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm genuinely confused by your post BAS... What's your point?

comrade
21-07-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm genuinely confused by your post BAS... What's your point?

Cyril had 8 touches, DFA had 8 touches.

People are calling for one of them to be banished to the VFL and it ain't Cyril.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2013, 05:53 PM
Cyril had 8 touches, DFA had 8 touches.

People are calling for one of them to be banished to the VFL and it ain't Cyril.
Here I was thinking comparing them would be unfair.... Hence my confusion.

But on this line of thinking, that they are somewhat equal, we should be able to trade DFA for Rioli. So that's good!

Mantis
21-07-2013, 06:01 PM
Whilst I agree his decision making is poor at 21 years if age and less than 40 games he deserves some slack. He has the ability to get the ball, he tackles and pressures the ball carrier, just needs to learn to be more effective once he has the ball

Which is the hardest thing to learn... I'm sure if he had at least adequate decision making & skills he would be a member of the Eagles team.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Which is the hardest thing to learn... I'm sure if he had at least adequate decision making & skills he would be a member of the Eagles team.

Hmm, it's an interesting argument, but the main reason he didn't come on at West Coast was poor management of him when he had a lot of injury problems in my opinion.

bornadog
21-07-2013, 08:45 PM

Addison didn't have a hard tag on him :rolleyes:

westdog54
21-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Addison didn't have a hard tag on him :rolleyes:

Did have Josh Gibson arseholing him for a fair chunk of the day.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Stevens was a good pick up, he had a bad disposal day yesterday but he will bounce back this week.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Stevens was a good pick up, he had a bad disposal day yesterday but he will bounce back this week.
His disposal is one thing, but his constant dishing off to a teammate in a worse position, and under more pressure was staggering yesterday.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Here I was thinking comparing them would be unfair.... Hence my confusion.

But on this line of thinking, that they are somewhat equal, we should be able to trade DFA for Rioli. So that's good!

I'm not comparing Rioli to Addison in terms of skill. I'm merely stating that I'm fairly certain the Hawks fans wouldn't be falling over themselves to delist half the team based on match statistics.

bornadog
21-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I'm not comparing Rioli to Addison in terms of skill. I'm merely stating that I'm fairly certain the Hawks fans wouldn't be falling over themselves to delist half the team based on match statistics.

Big difference when you talk about Rioli. He is a gun and a match winner. He is out of form at the moment but when he is on fire he can turn a game on its head.

LostDoggy
22-07-2013, 07:22 AM
Big difference when you talk about Rioli. He is a gun and a match winner. He is out of form at the moment but when he is on fire he can turn a game on its head.

You're entirely missing the point, perhaps that's my fault for not making it very clear.

I would hope the coaching and list management staff would look at more than just statistics when deciding a player's future, and if so, Addison is safe for now. Yeah he's not brimming with talent, but he makes up for that with mongrel.

Ozza
22-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Surprised at the harsh judging of Wallis and Addison.

Wallis was playing on Luke Hodge, and did a reasonable job.
Addison played deep forward and competed well, brought the ball down in front of him- and kicked a good goal from a half chance.

1eyedog
22-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Surprised at the harsh judging of Wallis and Addison.

Wallis was playing on Luke Hodge, and did a reasonable job.
Addison played deep forward and competed well, brought the ball down in front of him- and kicked a good goal from a half chance.

He's been taking some ripper marks up forward too, one last week and the pass from Grant on Saturday wasn't ideal when there were better options if he had centered it , but DFA took a ripper mark, he's got a good leap on him. Wish he could do it a bit more consistently.

Thought Wallis did well on Hodge, great lesson for him about how to play uncompromising football.

Mantis
22-07-2013, 12:29 PM
He's been taking some ripper marks up forward too, one last week and the pass from Grant on Saturday wasn't ideal when there were better options if he had centered it , but DFA took a ripper mark, he's got a good leap on him. Wish he could do it a bit more consistently.

But at the moment that is all he is offering .ie. the occassional good mark... I would be hoping that a player of his size would be offering more at ground level and more defensively, but his lack of pace and agility don't help in these areas.

ratsmac
22-07-2013, 02:48 PM
His disposal is one thing, but his constant dishing off to a teammate in a worse position, and under more pressure was staggering yesterday.

Very true. Stevens didn't have a very good game at all, maybe it was to cold in Tassie. I had Stevens in my anchors as well but after looking at the stats sheet I noticed he had 8 tackles. I have to hand it to him, he was having a howler but it appears that he was still doing the team things which is all you can ask for when things aren't going your way. He is still young and raw in senior footy terms so I sure he'll bounce back.

always right
22-07-2013, 03:03 PM
I like Stevens. He has a good tank, reasonable pace, and has a hard edge. Really hoping he can address the flaws in his decision making as he can be a real asset.

Remi Moses
22-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Just a Final Anchor
Why wasn't Rioli suspended for trying to pull Griffens's arm out of its socket

G-Mo77
22-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Just a Final Anchor
Why wasn't Rioli suspended for trying to pull Griffens's arm out of its socket

Patrick Keane ‏@AFL_PKeane

Cyril Rioli cleared contact Ryan Griffen - tackle did not drive player into ground with excessive force & not unreasonable in circumstances.

Translate that any way you want. It's not the first time he's done it.

comrade
22-07-2013, 09:35 PM
Hawthorn clearly focus on clamping down on an arm/wrist when tackling. Used it to good effect on the weekend.

LostDoggy
22-07-2013, 10:15 PM

Cyril Rioli cleared contact Ryan Griffen - tackle did not drive player into ground with excessive force & not unreasonable in circumstances.

Chris Judd says 'hello', Patrick

Cyberdoggie
22-07-2013, 10:32 PM

Translate that any way you want. It's not the first time he's done it.

What the!

Were they even looking at the same incident?

He was already on the ground, it was the fact he was deliberately pulling his arm back the wrong way to try and injure Griffen.

They clearly have no agenda to suspend players for these sorts of dogs acts. Deliberate pointed knee in the kidneys by forwards crashing packs is another they don't care about, and judging from the JJ/Cameron clash, head clashes are now allowed as long as you didn't really mean it.

LostDoggy
22-07-2013, 10:35 PM

Absolutely, I lumped that in with disposal.

comrade
23-07-2013, 07:43 AM
What the!

He was already on the ground, it was the fact he was deliberately pulling his arm back the wrong way to try and injure Griffen.

They clearly have no agenda to suspend players for these sorts of dogs acts. Deliberate pointed knee in the kidneys by forwards crashing packs is another they don't care about, and judging from the JJ/Cameron clash, head clashes are now allowed as long as you didn't really mean it.

Depends who does it, too.

Cameron is the GWS golden goose. He brings people through the gates. If he doesn't play, 3 men and a dog would turn up.

Cyril is another AFL pet.

G-Mo77
23-07-2013, 09:39 AM
What the!

They looked at the tackle and that's it. The chicken wing didn't have enough force and didn't cause any injury to Griff so it was fine. :rolleyes:

Surprised Bartel got suspended even Podsiadlly got a rep for a slight bump. Cameron tries to take JJ's head off and it's fine. It was much worse than both those incidents.