PDA

View Full Version : Minson's heavy workload?

Nuggety Back Pocket
21-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Will, made the comment to me after yesterday's game against the Hawks that he was feeling stuffed. Having rucked now for 90% all season, shouldn't it now be timely to consider some badly needed relief? Hawthorn clearly worked over Minson yesterday with both Bailey and Hale working in tandem, similar to last week with Bellchambers and Ryder.
Will can expect much of the same this week with Cox and big Nat.
Using Jones as a back up means we lose his presence up forward.
I would like to suggest we give Campbell 5-6 games to share the ruck work with Minson, which would also provide a bigger target in Campbell who can take a mark up forward.
There would be little point in playing him for a game or two, but rather give him the opportunity to show, what he has to offer over a longer period. I would welcome your thoughts.
As shared with me by our Club legend John Schultz, Campbell has a very good ruck technique.

bulldogtragic
21-07-2013, 10:40 PM
If Will needs the help, then I guess something's gotta give.

bornadog
21-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Couldn't agree more, I think its been a major issue with this MC not having a second ruck. When Cordy was in the team we should have used him more in the ruck instead of 90 % of his time in the goal square.

I don't think we have too many options at our disposal other than the op suggestions.

stefoid
21-07-2013, 10:51 PM
Its agreed then.

Hotdog60
21-07-2013, 10:53 PM
We could give Campbell the main ruck and put Will in the pocket for a couple of weeks. I know Will isn't the greatest of forwards but we get to see how Tom goes and give Will a bit of a break. Although Will most likely will need to do at least 40% of the load.

Greystache
21-07-2013, 10:54 PM
I'd be happy to give Minson a week off and play Campbell as the number one ruck, then when he comes back rotate the two equally between rucking, forward, and off the bench. It will hurt our rotations a little but I don't think that's a major issue.

I see Campbell as a gun AFL ruckman in the long run and would like to see him getting some game time.

Mantis
W
I would like to suggest we give Campbell 5-6 games to share the ruck work with Minson, which would also provide a bigger target in Campbell who can take a mark up forward.

When has this happened in an AFL game?

Agree with the rest in that Will needs help or a spell, but I don't see Campbell being able to play the 'Cordy role'... if Campbell comes in, and Will is still in the team perhaps they share ruck & forward duties.

LostDoggy
It's imperative that this happen. Either Campbell comes in for a few games and helps or Mince has a game or two off.

Suggest the Carlton and/or Melbourne games as the others run genuine double acts.

He's been immense and we don't want him burning out or breaking down to miss part of the offseason.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 10:57 PM

Agree with the rest in that Will needs help or a spell, but I don't see Campbell being able to play the 'Cordy role'... if Campbell comes in, and Will is still in the team perhaps they share ruck & forward duties.

He did this well, albeit at VFL level, a round back.

Greystache
21-07-2013, 10:59 PM

Agree with that approach.

With his marking, he hasn't shown it at AFL level yet, but I've watched him quite a few times at Williamstown and it has improved significantly this year. I can see him at about 25 being able to regularly clunk marks while*!resting forward.

GVGjr
21-07-2013, 11:09 PM
What about Campbell starting as a sub and Minson coming off just before 3 quarter time. I know it exposes us if we get another injury but with West Coast as our opponent next week we can't really spare Roughead to take his turn in the ruck.

My preference would be to use Roughead rather than Campbell but we don't have a lot of options.

Maybe with Jones, Stinger and Grant in the forward line Jones might have to spend more time in ruck when Will needs a spell.

Sedat
21-07-2013, 11:14 PM
I'd be happy to give Minson a week off and play Campbell as the number one ruck, then when he comes back rotate the two equally between rucking, forward, and off the bench. It will hurt our rotations a little but I don't think that's a major issue.

I see Campbell as a gun AFL ruckman in the long run and would like to see him getting some game time.
I wouldn't like to see Minson and Campbell in the same team together, but more than happy for Campbell to come in as #1 ruckman 2-3 times a year to give Minno a chop-out.

Remi Moses
21-07-2013, 11:39 PM
In the camp of giving Will a spell, He's being run into the ground.
Like to see Campbell get a game or two.

G-Mo77
21-07-2013, 11:47 PM
In the camp of giving Will a spell, He's being run into the ground.
Like to see Campbell get a game or two.

Agree with that as well. I suggested this in other threads and now Will has even admitted he's stuffed then I think he has to get a rest. We don't have anything to lose in giving Campbell the reins for a week or 2.

F'scary
21-07-2013, 11:52 PM
Two words: Ayce Cordy.

LostDoggy
21-07-2013, 11:54 PM
He did this well, albeit at VFL level, a round back.

Cordy got given a go after clunking a few at vfl level, still struggled at afl level, I'd be happy for Campbell to be given a go though.

G-Mo77
21-07-2013, 11:56 PM
Two words: Ayce Cordy.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I feel I'm the only one who would play him again. Get him out of the square once in while and get him to do some ruck work. He's hardly done any of it in the games he's played this year.

F'scary
21-07-2013, 11:56 PM
I have now considered the issue. Here is the response:

It is preferable that Minson is run into the ground than Cordy or Campbell run onto the ground.

Bulldog4life
22-07-2013, 12:21 AM
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. I feel I'm the only one who would play him again. Get him out of the square once in while and get him to do some ruck work. He's hardly done any of it in the games he's played this year.

I am with you G-Mo.

bornadog
22-07-2013, 12:31 AM

Agree, as Sedat said hate to see Campbell an Minson in the same team.

always right
22-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Not sure why some people are so against both Will and Cambbell playing in the same team. What is there to lose? It's not as if there is a spot in the finals at stake. Can anyone tell me what the downside is of giving Campbell some further senior experience whilst giving Will a well earned chop-out?

Topdog
22-07-2013, 08:48 AM
I found it interesting that there were article about Goldstein and how stuffed he was this week and nothing about Minno. I thought to myself surely he is stuffed too.

I'd be happy to give him a rest.

Mofra
22-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Not sure why some people are so against both Will and Cambbell playing in the same team. What is there to lose?
Run and spread by sacrificing another runner - it's been an issue we have been poor in this year.

Campbell will have to spend 70-80% forward if he plays and he hasn't looked remotely threatoning forward at senior level. Last game he played forward people were screaming for whipping boy Cordy to come back.

LostDoggy
22-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Cox and Naitanui would have almost licked their lips right off their face by now, but I agree with giving Minson a rest. We're going to be gifting them first use of the ball, so replace Minson with Campbell rucking number one, Jones for backup, and just see how we go. If we get smashed, ah well, we gave it a shot. Will's only human, and I'd be more interested in seeing him up against Sydney next week, which is our last real chance to see how the boys go up against another genuine team. We've done OK when the challenge is really high this year, so Sydney for mine is the game out of the next 6 that we need to focus on, as when it comes time at the end of the year to divvy up who stays and who goes, Round 19 is going to give more insight than Round 18.

1eyedog
22-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Dicko needs a break for a couple of weeks to find form. What is Dicko giving that Campbell won't? Nothing. And as others have suggested Campbell gives Minno a chop-out so he provides both team balance and a skill set that Dicko doesn't have.

Hotdog60
22-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Run and spread by sacrificing another runner - it's been an issue we have been poor in this year.

Campbell will have to spend 70-80% forward if he plays and he hasn't looked remotely threatoning forward at senior level. Last game he played forward people were screaming for whipping boy Cordy to come back.

Over the next few week I would reverse the time in the ruck with Minno spending 70-80% forward.

Mofra
22-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Over the next few week I would reverse the time in the ruck with Minno spending 70-80% forward.
Interesting idea - Cempbell is defniately more suited to the no 1 ruck role.

Minson hasn't set the world on fire as a forward in recent times but if Gia & the quicks are played near him he should have the nous to direct the ball to ground to our advantage.

Not a long term option but worth consideration as a triall.

always right
22-07-2013, 02:29 PM

I know what we're sacrificing....my question is "why does it really matter"? Where is the greater benefit...maintaining the ideal structure or getting game time into a bloke we hope will be our future ruckman whilst giving Will more of a breather?

LongWait
23-07-2013, 09:40 AM

I doubt that this will set the world on fire but I think we'll try it again anyway - maybe even this week given Campbell is doing ok at Willi.

Hotdog60
23-07-2013, 10:33 AM
I doubt that this will set the world on fire but I think we'll try it again anyway - maybe even this week given Campbell is doing ok at Willi.

I thought rather than giving Will a total break we could rest him forward and he may take the bigger defender which will help Jones. Even though Will has hands of cement he may clunk the odd one or two but more importantly he can palm to the smaller forwards.

We get to see how Tom goes as the number one ruck and give Will a break at the same time.

Mofra
23-07-2013, 10:53 AM
I know what we're sacrificing....my question is "why does it really matter"? Where is the greater benefit...maintaining the ideal structure or getting game time into a bloke we hope will be our future ruckman whilst giving Will more of a breather?
See my post above

LongWait
23-07-2013, 10:57 AM
I thought rather than giving Will a total break we could rest him forward and he may take the bigger defender which will help Jones. Even though Will has hands of cement he may clunk the odd one or two but more importantly he can palm to the smaller forwards.

We get to see how Tom goes as the number one ruck and give Will a break at the same time.

I understand the logic and it would be bloody great for our structure and for Will if it works...however, I'm sceptical about that last part.

Ozza
23-07-2013, 11:57 AM
I'm hoping Minson can get through this week - where we are a winning chance. And then rest him against Sydney and back in for the Carlton game.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2013, 08:34 PM
Very Bullish on our chances in the run home.

R18: West Coast, Etihad Stadium
R19: Sydney, Etihad Stadium
R20: Carlton, Etihad Stadium
R21: Adelaide, Etihad Stadium
R22: Brisbane Lions, Gabba
R23: Melbourne, Etihad Stadium

We could definitely rest Will in at least two of these, probably the Sydney and Gabba games. Sam Jacobs is the sole ruck for Adelaide at the moment? And at 24, would be a good game to try out some alternatives.

LostDoggy
23-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Very Bullish on our chances in the run home.

R18: West Coast, Etihad Stadium
R19: Sydney, Etihad Stadium
R20: Carlton, Etihad Stadium
R21: Adelaide, Etihad Stadium
R22: Brisbane Lions, Gabba
R23: Melbourne, Etihad Stadium

We could definitely rest Will in at least two of these, probably the Sydney and Gabba games. Sam Jacobs is the sole ruck for Adelaide at the moment? And at 24, would be a good game to try out some alternatives.

Rather have our best team in and win a game for the supporters/loyal Members

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Can I say how much I have enjoyed the feedback from so many Woofers when I first posted this thread.My own theory is that the MC see both Will and Tom as being too similar and that because Minson thrives on being on the ball for such long periods due to his endurance factor this would leave Campbell to spend a lengthy time up forward, to which he isn't ideally suited. We do lack bigger bodied players in the team and that is why Talia has been good for the team.
Likewise Stringer when fully fit has the power to match it with more mature experienced opponents. I believe that we should try to have both Minno and Campbell share the rucking duties.
Campbell has been one of our few listed players to now be playing more consistently at Williamstown with his marking being a feature. The style of game demanded by Macca is very demanding and physical which has seen the likes of Higgins Smith Boyd Wood JJ Dickson and now Goodes missing for many games.
That is why players like Campbell and eventually Roberts will become important to our structure.

Ghost Dog
23-07-2013, 09:32 PM
Can I say how much I have enjoyed the feedback from so many Woofers when I first posted this thread.My own theory is that the MC see both Will and Tom as being too similar and that because Minson thrives on being on the ball for such long periods due to his endurance factor this would leave Campbell to spend a lengthy time up forward, to which he isn't ideally suited. We do lack bigger bodied players in the team and that is why Talia has been good for the team.
Likewise Stringer when fully fit has the power to match it with more mature experienced opponents. I believe that we should try to have both Minno and Campbell share the rucking duties.
Campbell has been one of our few listed players to now be playing more consistently at Williamstown with his marking being a feature. The style of game demanded by Macca is very demanding and physical which has seen the likes of Higgins Smith Boyd Wood JJ Dickson and now Goodes missing for many games.
That is why players like Campbell and eventually Roberts will become important to our structure.

Enjoying the thread Nugget. I'm not sure why so many posters are down on Campbell in the forward line, seeing as we have seen so little of him. Had some good games ( looked good in the NAB against North ) and big men take longer to develop.

LostDoggy
23-07-2013, 09:40 PM
Liked him since he played that preseason game against North in sunny Ballarat.

Peeled off three goals in his first season. Long way to go but he's played a handful of games and shown more than young Cordy in the ruck, and looked more natural down forward at VFL level.

F'scary
23-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Enjoying the thread Nugget. I'm not sure why so many posters are down on Campbell in the forward line, seeing as we have seen so little of him. Had some good games ( looked good in the NAB against North ) and big men take longer to develop.

I am enjoying the thread too, it is a very challenging question.

My problem with Campbell is that the last time they played him, only so many weeks ago against the Tiges, he looked a long way off the pace at AFL level - as a ruck or a 2nd ruck/FP. For the time being, he is very young.

Against WCE who have two gun ruckmen, seeing that Big Will is starting to look a bit run down with the load he has been shouldering all season, I would go with the Ayce in the pack as the second ruck and have him do 50% of the 1st ruck work.

Clearly, with the sub rule, we can't swap ruckmen off the bench this season.

LostDoggy
23-07-2013, 10:10 PM
Ditto Ghost Dog's comments, NBP. It's refreshing to see people looking forward with some real insight. it really is a demanding game style that is being instilled in the group and those who aren't able to play it are overlooked, and will ultimately be dropped completely. Will has been a flag bearer for it all year, but is starting to show the strain. I saw a half at Port on Saturday. It was an utterly filthy day, but I saw Matthew Boyd and Jason Johannisen there to support the boys. I agree on Roberts and Campbell after watching that game. Campbell was impressive; it was anything but a big man's day but he imposed himself on the game and the opposition. He took five or six marks, had a similar number of tackles and was a wrecking ball in the wet, yet was very mobile, working right up to the half back line when playing FF and blowing up his opponents - they tried a a few, but nobody could match him. He should get an AFL chance soon. When he does, I think he can act as a good foil for Will as a resting forward who provides a contest when he doesn't mark it, and give him a decent chop out in the ruck. Roberts is just a natural footballer; good vision, a deceptive mover and very good skills. Not sure why he has been down in recent times. He is quite understated in the way he goes about things, but if you watch closely, he doesn't do too much wrong. On Saturday, it was hard to do a lot, but he didn't shirk the big-bodied contest that Port was bringing and he stayed composed when the heat was on. Another pre-season and I think he'll be much closer to having the bigger body he needs to mix it properly and we'll see really good things from him. A natural forward, I think his time down back in the twos and dev. squad has been really valuable, probably hardened him in more of the Macca mould, too. I don't think there's any doubt that you can see Will's influence in the way the bigger 'doggies go about it, just as the midfielders emulate Boydy's hard-nutted ethic. I am already looking forward to next year.