PDA

View Full Version : Victoria's most powerful men declare war on family violence

westdog54
22-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Ladies and Gents,

This thread is not football related, but it is a subject close to my heart and one that no person should ignore. I have posted this thread in consultation with the Moderator team, on the basis that it is an important, one-off deviation, given the importance of the subject.

Victoria's most powerful men declare war on family violence (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/victorias-most-powerful-men-declare-war-on-family-violence/story-fni0fee2-1226682821588)

POLICE Chief Commissioner Ken Lay has praised Denis Napthine, Andrew Demetriou and Robert Doyle for their public stance on ending family violence but says more men need to follow their lead.

With about half of assaults in Victoria happening in homes, Mr Lay said the onus was on men to call out family violence for the crime that it is.

"We've got men engaging in criminal behaviour who aren't being talked about, aren't being made to feel shameful for what they've done, and that's where the narrative needs to go," Mr Lay said.

"I don't see a lot of men standing up and saying enough is enough."

Victoria's top cop backed the Herald Sun's Take a Stand campaign to end family violence, together with Victoria's Premier, Melbourne's Lord Mayor and the AFL's chief executive.

"I feel quite bullish that the community's willing to talk about it and I'm very, very proud of the three other high-profile men that stood up today and said enough is enough," Mr Lay said.

"It is now time for high-profile men, leaders in this community, to speak out and speak out strongly and actually make family violence a shameful act."

While Mr Lay said police and Victoria's courts had improved their handling of family violence cases, he said much work needed to be done and he was "not sure when these numbers will stop going up".

"Since I've been in the job (of Chief Commissioner), we've had an increase of about 40 per cent in the numbers of reports, which is in one way quite frightening, but the other way is quite gratifying seeing women coming forward prepared to make a stand about what's happening to them," he said.

"Yes, we've moving in the right direction, but is there more to do? You bet."

The four men recorded video messages in which they called on all men in the community to take responsibility for ending family violence, which has hit record levels in Victoria, with 50,382 family violence calls to police last year.

Twelve Victorians - almost all of them women - were killed.

More than 16,000 assaults were recorded in the home.

"We need to make sure (abusive) men feel like they're ostracised, they're vilified, that their behaviour is simply unacceptable," Mr Lay said.

Dr Napthine called on all men to step up, saying police and the courts alone could not end family violence against women.

"By speaking up we can change attitudes and behaviours," he said.

The Herald Sun is today launching a major investigation into family violence, which shows that intervention orders are failing to protect women from violent perpetrators.

It also shows that significant resources are needed to assist the courts and support agencies dealing with the devastating fallout from family violence, a leading cause of poverty, homelessness and illness for young women.

If you or someone else is in immediate danger, call police on 000.

If you or someone you care about is living with an abusive partner or family member call the Women's Domestic Violence Crisis Service of Victoria's 24-hour crisis line on 1800 015 188 or 9322 3555.

For national counselling, helpline, information and support 24-hours call 1800 RESPECT (1800 737 732)

If you're a man and worried that your behaviour may be hurting someone you care about, call the Men's Referral Service on 1800 065 973 or 9428 2899 (9am-9pm weekdays). Website is www.mrs.org.au

If you suspect a male friend or family member is abusing someone at home, approach them by using words such as: "It sounds like you're having a tough time - it might be good to talk to someone about it.''

Try to get them to call the Men's Referral Service on 1800 065 973 (9am to 9pm weekdays).

As I said, this is very close to my heart. Family Violence is a scourge on our society that must be eradicated. No one is immune from Family Violence. It affects people of all Religions, Races, Cultures and Socio-Economic backgrounds. The damage it leaves in its wake is devastating.

I call on all WOOFers, indeed I call on people everywhere, to take a stand against this disease. To not stay silent when you see it or hear of it. To pull up your mates when they do or say something disrespectful. I call on you to take to Facebook and Twitter and show your support for this campaign to end Family Violence.

It has to stop.

#Takeastand

ledge
22-07-2013, 11:51 PM
Must say I have never come across it and I don't know of anyone who has , is that strange ? I grew up in braybrook which was known as rough in the 70s but never even came across drug users either and I still haven't ( in Melton now) am i blind to it or just not in the wrong place at the wrong time ?
In saying this I couldn't see me or any of my mates being violent in the home at all and I think we would all give that person a good going over if we did, it's something we would all be against.

Mofra
23-07-2013, 10:07 AM
Interesting that there is a pereption that family violence isn't as shameful as other forms of assualt - personally I would have thought any man that hits a woman is as low as it gets.

Twodogs
23-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Interesting that there is a pereption that family violence isn't as shameful as other forms of assualt - personally I would have thought any man that hits a woman is as low as it gets.

Agree strongly. In fact I'd extend it to hitting a child as well. There's nothing heroic about visiting violence on someone who is no position to defend themselves.

F'scary
23-07-2013, 10:26 PM
Let's hope Demitri-moron puppet is on firmer ground with this one than he is with the drugs issue.

LostDoggy
23-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Westdog 54, you have my full support. Violence against women and violence against children is cowardly, but it is learned behaviour. Dads teach it to their sons. It is utterly unacceptable under any circumstances. To stand up against family violence is heroic. It shows great courage and character, especially if you are someone who is subject to it. The more the rest of us speak out against it, the better.

PS I had to spend a morning working at Skinner Reserve in Braybrook a few weeks back. Three people asked me for money, and I have no doubt that all of them were looking to buy drugs with it. Two of them came back a bit later and used the public dunny, together. I presume to shoot up. The drugs are there, ledge, and so is the violence.

Twodogs
24-07-2013, 09:19 AM
Westdog 54, you have my full support. Violence against women and violence against children is cowardly, but it is learned behaviour. Dads teach it to their sons. It is utterly unacceptable under any circumstances. To stand up against family violence is heroic. It shows great courage and character, especially if you are someone who is subject to it. The more the rest of us speak out against it, the better.

PS I had to spend a morning working at Skinner Reserve in Braybrook a few weeks back. Three people asked me for money, and I have no doubt that all of them were looking to buy drugs with it. Two of them came back a bit later and used the public dunny, together. I presume to shoot up. The drugs are there, ledge, and so is the violence.

Skinner has a syringe disposal/exchange unit collocated in the same complex. It's a shame because it has a really nice kids playground there too. I don't know what the genius who decided that a drug hotspot was the ideal thing to have alongside a kid's playground was thinking but it's a real shame.

I took my kids there once when they were little. The sight of people sitting in a car in the car park shooting up was enough to convince me not to go back.

Eastdog
24-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Totally with you westdog54. Family violence is something that needs to be stopped and that can only be achieved if more people speak up about it like you have westdog54.

bulldogtragic
15-12-2014, 08:40 PM
30 charges of assault require significant evidence to be authorised. If true the court, media & AFL must throw the book at him. This is a disgusting and too common a crime and as WD says we need to end this.

http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/former-afl-star-says-ex-threatened-his-job/story-e6frfku9-1227156626401

bulldogtragic
16-12-2014, 12:10 AM
Majak Daw's rape committal too, tough reading:

http://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/majak-daw-north-melbourne-afl-footballer-faces-charges-of-raping-a-teenage-girl/story-fnii5sms-1227157036499

bulldogtragic
16-10-2015, 07:53 PM
FFS... Now another rape investigation, a Hawthorn player according to Hawthorn FC:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2015/10/16/hawthorn-players-rape-probe/

Twodogs
16-10-2015, 08:13 PM
FFS... Now another rape investigation, a Hawthorn player according to Hawthorn FC:

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/2015/10/16/hawthorn-players-rape-probe/

Yep. Saw that on the news.

Ghost Dog
17-10-2015, 04:40 AM
Well, I grew up in a house where domestic violence was common. But not by my father.
I have a different perspective. I made peace with my parents but it can affect you for the rest of your life.
Not to be glib about it, but you can heal things and get on with life. I love my family and we sorted it out.
Just saying, it's not a problem restricted to men.

Maddog37
17-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Well, I grew up in a house where domestic violence was common. But not by my father.
I have a different perspective. I made peace with my parents but it can affect you for the rest of your life.
Not to be glib about it, but you can heal things and get on with life. I love my family and we sorted it out.
Just saying, it's not a problem restricted to men.

I am glad to hear you have moved on Ghost Dog. It breaks my heart to read about your history with domestic violence at the same time though...... No one deserves that.

bornadog
19-10-2015, 12:48 PM
A Hawthorn premiership champion has become the second player facing a police probe over sexual assault claims

bulldogtragic
23-10-2015, 02:33 PM
Another rape in football circles as per the other thread. This madness has got to end.

That's two Lions academy players awaiting trial, L. Montagna (implicated with Milne), Majak Daw awaiting trial and two Hawthorn players under investigation who are around the AFL system with rape allegations. And that's leaving aside sleeping with an underage school girl and claims of domestic violence.

Whether they like it or nor they're role models. Not very good role models... Enough already.

bornadog
23-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Another rape in football circles as per the other thread. This madness has got to end.

That's two Lions academy players awaiting trial, L. Montagna (implicated with Milne), Majak Daw awaiting trial and two Hawthorn players under investigation who are around the AFL system with rape allegations. And that's leaving aside sleeping with an underage school girl and claims of domestic violence.

Whether they like it or nor they're role models. Not very good role models... Enough already.

Role models or not, women should not be treated like this. The culture of football was summed up by the incident with Bill dickhead Brownless.

bulldogtragic
23-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Role models or not, women should not be treated like this. The culture of football was summed up by the incident with Bill dickhead Brownless.

The AFL needs to clean this shit up. And now. My comment on role models is about perceived acceptability of abhorrent conduct. Then blokes like Nick Stevens bashing his girlfriend repeatedly as per the court outcome. Clearly this industry is not doing enough...

Greystache
23-10-2015, 02:45 PM
What's the link here? That they've all played football in one form or another? The hysteria around prosecuting footballers has gone to obsurd levels.

Daw was charged with a crime he allegedly committed years before playing AFL. The two Brisbane players are not even AFL players. Montagna was not even accused of a crime anywhere but the media. And the St Kilda "school" girl was nothing more than a celebrity chaser who was a pathological liar and happened to sleep with a footballer while pretending to be her older sister. She didn't even go to school.

I'm all for a good burning at the stake but this is ridiculous. I understand all of those mentioned above also happen to vote Labor- When is the Labor party going to do something about the culture amongst it's supporters!!1!11!

LostDoggy
23-10-2015, 05:49 PM
Compared to wider society, stats-wise, I'd say footballers are probably ahead of the curve.

Happy Days
29-10-2015, 11:43 PM
What's the link here? That they've all played football in one form or another? The hysteria around prosecuting footballers has gone to obsurd levels.

Daw was charged with a crime he allegedly committed years before playing AFL. The two Brisbane players are not even AFL players. Montagna was not even accused of a crime anywhere but the media. And the St Kilda "school" girl was nothing more than a celebrity chaser who was a pathological liar and happened to sleep with a footballer while pretending to be her older sister. She didn't even go to school.

I'm all for a good burning at the stake but this is ridiculous. I understand all of those mentioned above also happen to vote Labor- When is the Labor party going to do something about the culture amongst it's supporters!!1!11!

Disagree. There is a long, "proud" history of these incidents being totally ignored or wet lettuced by the AFL, all in the name of "due process", leaving it to the clubs (as if they would ever act in self interest, no sir), or generally relying on a society indoctrinated with a systemic rape culture to sweep it under the rug for them (e.g: "Why did she get out of the cab if she was so scared?"). This is including, but not limited to;

- Michael O'Loughlin literally paying someone to stop accusing him of sexual assault, only to be inducted into the Hall of Fame (!!!)
- Jesse Stringer punching out a woman, only to be promoted onto the Geelong primary list at the end of the relevant season
- The multiple offences of Adam Heuskes, who was re-listed multiple times in spite of being a total piece of shit and clear recidivist
- Nathan Bock punching out his girlfriend and having his indefinite suspension lifted after one week because the Crows really needed to beat the Cats
- Multiple incidents at Hawthorn, including a case getting thrown out because a victim refused to give evidence for fear of the backlash she would receive from our culture of footballer idolisation, and a player filming girls having sex with him without their consent (not to mention the thing that totally didn't happen after the grand final this year, and a few others)
- The Milne case (just the Saints in general) - enough said
- Wayne Carey glassing a woman moments before being welcomed back into the AFL fraternity (another HoFer btw)
- Multiple reports against West Coast during their glory (?) years
- Majak Daw
- Allegations against Collingwood players after their Grand Final win

These are just a few; won't even get into some of the horrible things I've read about the victim of the Lions Academy players. Look at the players code of conduct - it actually says "No means no!" in it! In 2015! This is an issue that has been wholly, horribly ignored and disregarded by the AFL for as long as I can remember, all because it's easier for them to do so. The NFL is arguably a worse organisation than the AFL when it comes to communication (Goodell's draconian rule makes Demetriou look like a high school counsellor), but even they gave away $5m of ad time in the Superbowl to anti-domestic violence campaigners. It's disgusting and a far bigger blight on the game than a player being caught in a different country with a line of a party drug in front of him.

Australia as a whole is pretty shit at this sort of stuff, but the AFL is supposedly the role model. Their outrageous media share and general beloved status gives them a platform to do something (anything), but I guess that doesn't generate the positive spin that $3 pies do.

And as for the players, stop being dickheads.

bulldogtragic
28-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Albert Proud, former Lions Player, was charged with attempted murder on his female partner but downgraded to the most serious assault charge at law. Remanded in custody.