PDA

View Full Version : Bring back the Cheese!

Mantis
24-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Due to a ground swell of support... well at least 7 of us (and one more who is half committed... weak!!) I'm starting a campaign to 'Bring back the Cheese!' For those who don't know what the hell I'm on about it, well it's all about Ed Barlow.

If I can get 20 committed dicsiples I will write up a proposal to send to the buffoons at our club who thought it was a great idea to get rid of him and demand he gets re-drafted... If they don't I will get a truck-load of cheese dumped on their door-step alas the chicken manure incident at Punt rd. (This probably won't happen, but our cause needs some threat of retribution if our demands aren't met)

I guess we also need to track down Ed who has probably graduated onto the ultra marathon circuit by now.

Bring back the cheese!

LostDoggy
24-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Last i could find on Colby was that he was kicking the pig around for Wang Magpies, but that was 12-15 months ago. He's melted into thin air.

Who cut the cheese?

Sedat
24-07-2013, 03:27 PM
Vote '1' for the return of the Cheese.

To quote Ari Gold from Entourage..."this town loves a comeback baby, and Britney f***** her's up" :D

BulldogBelle
24-07-2013, 03:34 PM
It ain't easy being cheesy, our club underestimated this.

Hotdog60
24-07-2013, 03:45 PM
Is this cyber bulling Mantis.
Add another .5 to my score. He's 26 now and playing I think for Wangaratta.

Ghost Dog
24-07-2013, 03:53 PM
But all jokes aside, was he any worse than Addison, Markovic, Cordy, Dickson, Lower, Stevens, Goodes, or half the other guys on our list? Marginally, if at all.

Say Cheese!

F'scary
24-07-2013, 04:40 PM
But all jokes aside, was he any worse than Addison, Markovic, Cordy, Dickson, Lower, Stevens, Goodes, or half the other guys on our list? Marginally, if at all.

Say Cheese!

Cheese!

I am on this bandwagon.

Scraggers
24-07-2013, 04:47 PM
I never understood why we didn't offer him a contract ... I am not afraid to say, I had a sort of a man-crush on Cheesie !! (based mainly on his nickname, but the boy can play)

I'm in ... as Peter Russell-Clarke used to say "but where's the cheese?"

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
24-07-2013, 05:02 PM
Can we get Streeta back too?

Go_Dogs
24-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I for one suggested him as a possible upgrade to the senior list prior to his delisting, consider me aboard.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2013, 06:27 PM
I haven't bothered reading anything other than the title but whatever it is, I'm in!

LostDoggy
24-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I haven't bothered reading anything other than the title but whatever it is, I'm in!

It's an anti-Canesten campaign.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2013, 06:42 PM
It's an anti-Canesten campaign.

Yeah I hate that stuff!

boydogs
24-07-2013, 08:19 PM

This thread has your name written all over it. Seeing it started by Mantis is weird, in a good way though.

Mantis
24-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Can we get Streeta back too?

Don't push it.

Rocco Jones
24-07-2013, 09:14 PM
This thread has your name written all over it. Seeing it started by Mantis is weird, in a good way though.

Totally.

jeemak
24-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Love the thread.

I also love the snowball effect towards acceptance of a niche perversion like The Cheese which occurs once one or two folk stand in front of the group and speak out!

He'd certainly fill a gap right now, for potential results right now but he was dropped off the list because that's all he was ever going to do. Keeping players like Marko and Austin maybe stop some goals in a pinch, but that's an argument for another day.

This thread is about cheese love, in all its creamy glory.

LostDoggy
24-07-2013, 09:47 PM
The Fromage Footballer.

If FDOTM could prize himself away from being a tool of corporate propaganda there's another t-shirt business opportunity here. 8 or 9 sold already.

Doc26
24-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Someone surely has hacked into Mantis's account. That said, I'm in. Thought there was something a little cheesy with the purging of Ed.

1eyedog
24-07-2013, 10:23 PM
This cannot be a serious thread. Surely Mantis is having a bit of fun with this one...

bulldogtragic
24-07-2013, 10:36 PM
How will we draft him with only pick 4?

Have we thought this through?

Hotdog60
24-07-2013, 10:37 PM
Won the 100m beep test by 3 lengths a couple of weeks ago from Boyd and Cross.

Posted when he join us.

whythelongface
24-07-2013, 10:40 PM
Someone surely has hacked into Mantis's account. That said, I'm in. Thought there was something a little cheesy with the purging of Ed.

Maybe not. Maybe Mantis is actually the cheese himself!!

I always thought the cheese offered some value to the team so yes I am all for the return of the cheese.

firstdogonthemoon
24-07-2013, 11:59 PM
what?

Ghost Dog
25-07-2013, 12:30 AM
Now all we need is Toast to come back...and then we have......

chef
25-07-2013, 07:54 AM
Nah, rather the Gumby.

Twodogs
25-07-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm all for getting the Cheese back. When you think about it the Cheese left and we really started our slide. Obviously we get him back=winners again.

How to get the club back on track:

1/ Find Ed Barlow
2/ Sign him on a long term contract
3/ ?????
4/ Profit

Twodogs
25-07-2013, 08:44 AM
Now all we need is Toast to come back...and then we have......

All we would need is Ashton Hams. Is there a player called pickles?

Mantis
25-07-2013, 11:31 AM

Nope I thought this up all by myself.

This cannot be a serious thread. Surely Mantis is having a bit of fun with this one...

Deadly serious.

He would offer quite a bit more than a number of plebs who have played senior footy this year.

westdog54
25-07-2013, 12:07 PM
I'm all for getting the Cheese back. When you think about it the Cheese left and we really started our slide. Obviously we get him back=winners again.

How to get the club back on track:

1/ Find Ed Barlow
2/ Sign him on a long term contract
3/ ?????
4/ Profit

It has been far to long since I saw that South Park reference used. I laughed mightily.

For that and that alone I'm in.

Twodogs
25-07-2013, 12:16 PM
It has been far to long since I saw that South Park reference used. I laughed mightily.

For that and that alone I'm in.

I knew someone would get it. Gotta love the South Park gnomes.

jeemak
25-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Nope I thought this up all by myself.

Deadly serious.

He would offer quite a bit more than a number of plebs who have played senior footy this year.

Are we really at a stage where we need to be vitriolic towards our players?

Barlow's output would be better than a lot of our players right now, though his capacity to improve on that level wouldn't be very high I wouldn't have thought.

Greystache
25-07-2013, 01:22 PM
I thought this thread was just for laughs but I'm scared now some posts might be serious. :eek:

Barlow was an awful footballer- He had the overhead marking ability and physicality of Nathan Eagelton combined with the pace of Daniel Cross. In fact I would prefer to play Daniel Cross in the role of 2nd ruck/forward over Barlow, at least Cross has some physical presence.

If Barlow was listed in the record at 180cm (which is the type of game he played) he'd have been out of the AFL system 4 years earlier.

EasternWest
25-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Due to a ground swell of support... well at least 7 of us (and one more who is half committed... weak!!) I'm starting a campaign to 'Bring back the Cheese!' For those who don't know what the hell I'm on about it, well it's all about Ed Barlow.

If I can get 20 committed dicsiples I will write up a proposal to send to the buffoons at our club who thought it was a great idea to get rid of him and demand he gets re-drafted... If they don't I will get a truck-load of cheese dumped on their door-step alas the chicken manure incident at Punt rd. (This probably won't happen, but our cause needs some threat of retribution if our demands aren't met)

I guess we also need to track down Ed who has probably graduated onto the ultra marathon circuit by now.

Bring back the cheese!

This is so, so stupid.

I'm in.

bulldogtragic
25-07-2013, 03:03 PM
I think we're at 20 Mantis.

Petition Away!

Sedat
25-07-2013, 03:39 PM
I thought this thread was just for laughs but I'm scared now some posts might be serious. :eek:

Barlow was an awful footballer- He had the overhead marking ability and physicality of Nathan Eagelton combined with the pace of Daniel Cross. In fact I would prefer to play Daniel Cross in the role of 2nd ruck/forward over Barlow, at least Cross has some physical presence.

If Barlow was listed in the record at 180cm (which is the type of game he played) he'd have been out of the AFL system 4 years earlier.
The cheese's output per game in 2011 is comfortably ahead of Marko's and Cordy's in 2013. He certainly wasn't without his faults (fumbly, poor overhead) but he impacted a numbers of games with his ability to run all game and tireless work ethic and repeated leads. I thought he was worth another 12 months as a rookie at the very least - the attributes he does have are in painfully short supply with our crop of taller players.

LostDoggy
25-07-2013, 03:45 PM

Usually if it was any other player of his footballing calibre i'd agree with you, but with Barlow, it's the vibe.

Greystache
25-07-2013, 03:56 PM
The cheese's output per game in 2011 is comfortably ahead of Marko's and Cordy's in 2013. He certainly wasn't without his faults (fumbly, poor overhead) but he impacted a numbers of games with his ability to run all game and tireless work ethic and repeated leads. I thought he was worth another 12 months as a rookie at the very least - the attributes he does have are in painfully short supply with our crop of taller players.

Marko and Cordy are playing as key forwards (and not very good ones), Barlow was a tall midfielder. They're aren't anything alike.

If you're looking for a like for like comparison compare his output and impact with Ward, Gia, and Higgins. They're high half forwards/midfielders.

Barlow took 1 contested mark for the whole of 2011, as I said he's tall in the record and nowhere else. The only sport his height would have been an advantage to him was rowing and I think he missed his calling there.

Mantis
25-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Are we really at a stage where we need to be vitriolic towards our players?

I must have been asleep when it was stated that pleb=vitriole.

Barlow's output would be better than a lot of our players right now, though his capacity to improve on that level wouldn't be very high I wouldn't have thought.

That's something that won't be known, atleast until we re-draft him, but he wouldn't be the only one in that boat.

jeemak
25-07-2013, 05:59 PM
I must have been asleep when it was stated that pleb=vitriole.

That's something that won't be known, atleast until we re-draft him, but he wouldn't be the only one in that boat.

Well I'm sure if you checked out its definition on Urban Dictionary you might change your mind. The pure definition, if that's how you meant the term (and if it is, I apologise) isn't particularly charitable and perhaps not vitriolic though certainly something I'd be offended being called.

I think the years on an AFL list Barlow enjoyed have given enough of an indication of his ability to improve.

Ghost Dog
25-07-2013, 06:56 PM
Well I'm sure if you checked out its definition on Urban Dictionary you might change your mind. The pure definition, if that's how you meant the term (and if it is, I apologise) isn't particularly charitable and perhaps not vitriolic though certainly something I'd be offended being called.

I think the years on an AFL list Barlow enjoyed have given enough of an indication of his ability to improve.

But I think with the few games he played with us, he actually wasn't that stellar but equally, in a Dylan Addison-esque or Lucas Markovic fasion, wasn't that BAD. ( no disrespect to these players, good solid workhorses who get the job done. )

EasternWest
25-07-2013, 06:57 PM

Using urban dictionary to define words is about as valid as using wikipedia as a legitimate research source for your thesis.

A pleb is a commoner, no more, no less. It's pretty fair to say we have our share of pleb footballers on our list. It's not necessarily a pejorative term; my favourite player is a pleb.

I'm not sure anyone is talking about Barlow's ability to improve. Truthfully, he's not part of any long term plan, but in the here and now, we could really use a decent sized, mature age guy that can run all day. At least he'll compete and maybe spill the ball out of bands when we do the inevitable bomb from the goalsquare after a kick in, which is more than can be said for Minson, who gives us nothing in those contests.

jeemak
25-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Using urban dictionary to define words is about as valid as using wikipedia as a legitimate research source for your thesis.

A pleb is a commoner, no more, no less. It's pretty fair to say we have our share of pleb footballers on our list. It's not necessarily a pejorative term; my favourite player is a pleb.

I'm not sure anyone is talking about Barlow's ability to improve. Truthfully, he's not part of any long term plan, but in the here and now, we could really use a decent sized, mature age guy that can run all day. At least he'll compete and maybe spill the ball out of bands when we do the inevitable bomb from the goalsquare after a kick in, which is more than can be said for Minson, who gives us nothing in those contests.

Thanks mate, appreciate the lesson. Did you happen to read the next couple of lines of my post though? If you can tell me the word pleb is only used in society to define a commoner then good for you. I used UD to point out there are potentially different usages or interpretations for the word, no more and no less.

I don't have the same faith as you in his ability to compete in the air in any capacity. I think Greystache sums his use of height up quite well.

EasternWest
25-07-2013, 11:37 PM
Thanks mate, appreciate the lesson. Did you happen to read the next couple of lines of my post though? If you can tell me the word pleb is only used in society to define a commoner then good for you. I used UD to point out there are potentially different usages or interpretations for the word, no more and no less.

I don't have the same faith as you in his ability to compete in the air in any capacity. I think Greystache sums his use of height up quite well.

Sorry Jeemak, it seems like you think I was having a dig at you. I wasn't. Maybe it's just because I'm an old man with an onion tied to my belt that I tend to disregard things like urban dictionary. And Wikipedia too for that matter, interesting as it can be. Or maybe that's why we took the use of the word pleb differently.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting Barlow was any good, only that he gave us something that we don't have in any way now.

We bomb long to Minson, and watch the ball come back again due to his ineffectiveness in that situation. Barlow couldn't do any worse, but at least he would help by his ability to cover ground and give Minson something of a chop out.

For the record, I think we should have rookied him again when we got rid of him, because right now we could use him, but his longer term future would have been sketchy at best.

Anyway, I hope you forgive me.

jeemak
26-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Sorry Jeemak, it seems like you think I was having a dig at you. I wasn't. Maybe it's just because I'm an old man with an onion tied to my belt that I tend to disregard things like urban dictionary. And Wikipedia too for that matter, interesting as it can be. Or maybe that's why we took the use of the word pleb differently.

Anyway, I'm not suggesting Barlow was any good, only that he gave us something that we don't have in any way now.

We bomb long to Minson, and watch the ball come back again due to his ineffectiveness in that situation. Barlow couldn't do any worse, but at least he would help by his ability to cover ground and give Minson something of a chop out.

For the record, I think we should have rookied him again when we got rid of him, because right now we could use him, but his longer term future would have been sketchy at best.

Anyway, I hope you forgive me.

Tough day yesterday EW. Apologies for my narkiness, there's nothing for me to forgive.

I can see your point, the bomb kick-in has had me frustrated all year and if we're going to persist with it rather than scrap it then we need to account for its ineffectiveness.

EasternWest
26-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Tough day yesterday EW. Apologies for my narkiness, there's nothing for me to forgive.

I can see your point, the bomb kick-in has had me frustrated all year and if we're going to persist with it rather than scrap it then we need to account for its ineffectiveness.

No worries. I should have been clearer with my first point, it does read a bit like I'm being a smartarse, but (on this occasion at least :)) that wasn't my intention.

JohnGentStand
26-07-2013, 03:13 PM
I was so surprised when we cut the cheese, I had to leave the room.
Purely due the reference to the underpants gnomes I believe the cheese should return.
Can we also draft the fridge to look after said cheese??

Bulldog4life
26-07-2013, 05:59 PM
And poor Eastdog was lampooned for discussing Panos.:rolleyes:

Ghost Dog
26-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Guess there is no danger of romanticizing Mulligan....

jeemak
26-07-2013, 08:08 PM
But I think with the few games he played with us, he actually wasn't that stellar but equally, in a Dylan Addison-esque or Lucas Markovic fasion, wasn't that BAD. ( no disrespect to these players, good solid workhorses who get the job done. )

Just players marking time, whose deficiencies can be hidden in an excellent team. We're not an excellent team, we're not a good team for that matter.

Irrespective of whether the players we are trying instead of them may make it, the players you've mentioned are a known quantity already as is The Cheesy One.

bulldogtragic
26-07-2013, 08:46 PM
Guess there is no danger of romanticizing Mulligan....
I knew somebody would take it too far :)

AndrewP6
26-07-2013, 10:48 PM
G-CNOFFud9k

LostDoggy
07-12-2013, 12:23 PM
The Cheese will be lining up for Richmond's VFL side next season.

LostDoggy
07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
First Brown, then Jordy, now this.

Unbearable ��

bulldogtragic
07-12-2013, 03:06 PM
First Brown, then Jordy, now this.

Unbearable ��
Don't forget Pat Bowden!

chef
07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
Meh.