PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 19 vs Sydney

Greystache
28-07-2013, 01:27 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Sunday's game against Sydney at Etihad?

As usual a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussions.

FrediKanoute
28-07-2013, 07:23 PM
No change for me. Stringer played well at Willi from all accounts, but needs to do it again to force his way in.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 07:32 PM
Young may miss with a shoulder. Jones punched someone in the face and may get one week off. Fletch and Campbell in maybe?

Go_Dogs
28-07-2013, 07:45 PM
For mine it depends on who may be out, but on performance would be very hard to change the line up. Really like the mix we're developing with our contested side and our improved ability to find space and spread from the contest - everyone played their role today.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Giansiracusa might get a spell

azabob
28-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Giansiracusa might get a spell

For selfish reasons I hope not. I think he needs to play every game left to get to 250.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 07:52 PM
For selfish reasons I hope not. I think he needs to play every game left to get to 250.

That bump was late though

azabob
28-07-2013, 07:54 PM
That bump was late though

Bump? I missed that - is that why he was subbed?

For me - No change.

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Bump? I missed that - is that why he was subbed?

For me - No change.

Nothing to do with him being subbed. He dished one out late in the 2nd quarter from memory

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Addison for Stringer.

Can see a case for both negative and positive.

Go_Dogs
28-07-2013, 08:01 PM
Nothing to do with him being subbed. He dished one out late in the 2nd quarter from memory

I think it was on Kennedy, just caught him a little bit high. Didn't really think there was much in it, but the MRP have been hot on that the last few weeks, so wouldn't be surprised if he gets a week off.

I'm basically convinced Gia should play on next year anyway azabob, so it might not be an issue with the 250 games. I wonder where he's sitting with it all at the moment?

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 08:02 PM
He got Kennedy, low impact glancing blow, head high.
Picken and Kennedy threw a punch at each other.
Some jumper punching from Grant and Dale.

Don't expect anything but you just never know.

I'm thinking
Out: Dickson
In: Stringer

Or unchanged.

soupman
28-07-2013, 08:05 PM
No unforced changes please.

bornadog
28-07-2013, 09:00 PM
If we can fit Roberts in somewhere that would be great. I prefer Stringer to come in as well and give him more game time before the year is out.

The Bulldogs Bite
28-07-2013, 09:02 PM
Addison for Stringer.

I don't think Dylan did enough today, he was solid (2 goals/11 disposals) but I'd prefer we keep injecting games into our quality young players. Sydney would be a great learning curve for somebody like Stringer. Besides, Addison's role is primarily as a defensive forward and he didn't lay a tackle all day.

azabob
28-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I think it was on Kennedy, just caught him a little bit high. Didn't really think there was much in it, but the MRP have been hot on that the last few weeks, so wouldn't be surprised if he gets a week off.

I'm basically convinced Gia should play on next year anyway azabob, so it might not be an issue with the 250 games. I wonder where he's sitting with it all at the moment?

Strangely enough Griff all year I have thought he should go around again, but watching him today I think he should retire on top. Great player either way...

bornadog
28-07-2013, 09:06 PM

Listening to Macca today, he said he thought this would be Gia's last year and he would move to a coaching role next year.

He also said Morris will play a few more years and Wallis will be a ten plus year player.

1eyedog
28-07-2013, 09:07 PM
He got Kennedy, low impact glancing blow, head high.
Picken and Kennedy threw a punch at each other.
Some jumper punching from Grant and Dale.

Don't expect anything but you just never know.

I'm thinking
Out: Dickson
In: Stringer

Or unchanged.

That change sounds good to me.

azabob
28-07-2013, 09:14 PM
Listening to Macca today, he said he thought this would be Gia's last year and he would move to a coaching role next year.

He also said Morris will play a few more years and Wallis will be a ten plus year player.

BAD was this pre or post game?

Bulldog4life
28-07-2013, 09:20 PM

Tony Shaw said this was said to him by Macca a few weeks ago. He further said the coaching role will be with us.

westbulldog
28-07-2013, 09:20 PM
No change

boydogs
28-07-2013, 09:28 PM
Out: Addison, Tutt
In: Stringer, Cross

G-Mo77
28-07-2013, 09:38 PM
I think Jones will get a spell. Can't remember Gia's one. I doubt there will any changes, only if forced. Possibly Jones for Roberts/Campbell

azabob
28-07-2013, 09:47 PM
I think Jones will get a spell. Can't remember Gia's one. I doubt there will any changes, only if forced. Possibly Jones for Roberts/Campbell

Could Jones argue provocation? He was only retaliating? I like Jones more aggressive attitude this year.

G-Mo77
28-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Could Jones argue provocation? He was only retaliating? I like Jones more aggressive attitude this year.

Well he got smacked first so I guess so.

Jones was pretty aggressive and hit opponents hard which I enjoyed seeing.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 09:50 PM
I think it's Moon-dogs influence.

Grant has got into collar grapples in all games. I like his aggression too.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 11:19 PM
I was happy with Addison's work today. Made some contests on the wing. Hit the packs audibly. He's a great clubman.

azabob
28-07-2013, 11:27 PM
I was happy with Addison's work today. Made some contests on the wing. Hit the packs audibly. He's a great clubman.

Well said. Totally agree.

Greystache
28-07-2013, 11:28 PM
No change for me unless forced.

Stringer or Campbell would be in contention should we decide to rest some players.

The Underdog
28-07-2013, 11:55 PM
Out: Addison, Tutt
In: Stringer, Cross

Can I ask, why Tutt out? I thought he continued to improve today, gave us some run and did some clever things. I'm not sure what we gain by swapping him for Crossy.

bornadog
29-07-2013, 12:43 AM
BAD was this pre or post game?

Pre game. He also confirmed we have to many of the same time of player and that us another reason Wallis' game style has been changed

G-Mo77
29-07-2013, 12:47 AM
Can I ask, why Tutt out? I thought he continued to improve today, gave us some run and did some clever things. I'm not sure what we gain by swapping him for Crossy.

Still not convinced that Tutt will make it. Sometimes when I watch him he just looks like a rabbit in a spotlight. It looks like a confidence thing to me. The MC have done the right thing and left him in the team. We play one of the best teams in the comp next week, he stays to play against the best.

boydogs
29-07-2013, 01:18 AM

What he did was OK, but it wasn't enough IMO. I'd rather a full game from Macrae. But it's more that I think we will need Crossy against the Swans, he still has a lot to offer

Ghost Dog
29-07-2013, 05:46 AM
What he did was OK, but it wasn't enough IMO. I'd rather a full game from Macrae. But it's more that I think we will need Crossy against the Swans, he still has a lot to offer

I see what you are saying. A tough on baller to match the likes of Jack and Hanebury. But don't you think it's a good opportunity for Tutt to see these guys up close and learn? Despite the chance he will probably be beaten?

LostDoggy
29-07-2013, 08:51 AM
I see what you are saying. A tough on baller to match the likes of Jack and Hanebury. But don't you think it's a good opportunity for Tutt to see these guys up close and learn? Despite the chance he will probably be beaten?

Yep. We aren't a prayer against the Swans so I'd go with the education approach too, especially as Sydney are the kind of team we want to be.

kruder
29-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Macrae looked like he had already played three quarters when he came on been a massive year I'd give him a longer spell. Hrovat to replace and Roberts must be on the agenda for the last month.

1eyedog
29-07-2013, 05:24 PM

For the longer term betterment of the club I would rather leave Tutt in and lose than have Cross in and be slightly more competitive.

Mofra
29-07-2013, 05:28 PM
Yep - he was fantastic for us.

No change, although Tutt missed a couple chances to provide more pressure on his direct opponent which may be exposed against the Swans if he does it again.

bornadog
29-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Jones and Gia cleared from MRP, so free to play

mighty_west
29-07-2013, 05:45 PM

Dodged a bullet, really thought Jones may have been in strife for bopping MacKenzie on the chin with no jumper in hand.

Go_Dogs
29-07-2013, 05:52 PM

Based on that, I'm going with no changes this week.

azabob
29-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Macrae looked like he had already played three quarters when he came on been a massive year I'd give him a longer spell. Hrovat to replace and Roberts must be on the agenda for the last month.

I was under the impression Hrovat missed due to injury.

Axe Man
29-07-2013, 06:37 PM
Dodged a bullet, really thought Jones may have been in strife for bopping MacKenzie on the chin with no jumper in hand.

He can probably thank Mackenzie for standing there and laughing at the little tap rather than going down in a Riewoldt-esk fashion. That made it easy for the panel to conclude that the 'force used was below that required to constitute a reportable offence'.

Rocco Jones
29-07-2013, 06:45 PM
I would have no changes.

I am a massive Jake Stringer fan boy but won't hurt for him to have a couple of games at Willi. Not like he was tearing it apart for us. First one to come in.

GVGjr
29-07-2013, 07:51 PM
I was under the impression Hrovat missed due to injury.

They listed it as soreness but it's an injury

G-Mo77
29-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Based on that, I'm going with no changes this week.

Same here, unless there is an injury we don't know about somewhere.

boydogs
29-07-2013, 08:15 PM

I think we need Crossy in to be competitive. I'd rather have 10 kids in the side going down by 5 goals and learning something from a competitive match, than 11 kids in the side going down by 10 goals with Sydney not leaving 2nd gear.

Lowey33
29-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Think Crossy will get his farewell game in the last game. I think Macrae needs a rest, and stringer needs a start. Won't hurt to have another tough nut in against the swans. Good learning curve. Also if Hrovat is right, bring him in for Addison or Dickson.

The Underdog
29-07-2013, 10:06 PM
I think we need Crossy in to be competitive. I'd rather have 10 kids in the side going down by 5 goals and learning something from a competitive match, than 11 kids in the side going down by 10 goals with Sydney not leaving 2nd gear.

Are these the same kids who've been competitive against Essendon & Hawthorn and won on the weekend? I'd back em in and I honestly don't think Cross makes us a 5 goal better side than Tutt at this point.

LostDoggy
29-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Stringer in for Jones only to give him a rest. Outside of that be happy to name the same side

LostDoggy
29-07-2013, 11:21 PM

He was hit first. Really, who knows? Taylor “Mongrel” Adams only got a week for a Brent Staker Special.

Stringer in for Jones only to give him a rest. Outside of that be happy to name the same side

Grant's trial by fire?

F'scary
29-07-2013, 11:43 PM

Agreed.

boydogs
30-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Are these the same kids who've been competitive against Essendon & Hawthorn and won on the weekend? I'd back em in and I honestly don't think Cross makes us a 5 goal better side than Tutt at this point.

Sydney just brushed past Richmond by a lazy 7 goals & we're a step or two behind them. I just think philosophically we need to field our best 22 and be competitive to get the most out of our player development. Who has produced more quality kids recently, Melbourne playing the kids almost exclusively or Geelong, where they have to earn their spot, and play amongst experienced players in a successful team?

The Underdog
30-07-2013, 07:27 AM
Sydney just brushed past Richmond by a lazy 7 goals & we're a step or two behind them. I just think philosophically we need to field our best 22 and be competitive to get the most out of our player development. Who has produced more quality kids recently, Melbourne playing the kids almost exclusively or Geelong, where they have to earn their spot, and play amongst experienced players in a successful team?

We'll have to agree to disagree. My view is that Cross was removed from the side because we had younger players who needed games who could play his role. We lacked pace and foot skill. I also think those kids have earned their spots, played their roles effectively and improved to where we should let them test themselves against the best teams. We let them do that against the Hawks in Tassie and they acquitted themselves pretty well. I'd rather base the selections on belief than fear.

Ghost Dog
30-07-2013, 09:21 AM

Well, not sure if Tutt is quite a 'Kid' in the sense that he can damage the opposition and play a role and it's sort of fair to start asking a return on our investment in him.

Mind you I would be overjoyed to see Crossy running around out there, sticking his head into packs.

LostDoggy
30-07-2013, 12:27 PM
Sunday against the Swans could be a very telling encounter for us. It is interesting to look deeply into the games we have played recently because there are more factors than just the scoreboard to consider. The past three weeks we have come up against three very different sides. Essendon play an attacking brand of footy, but without Jobe they were undermanned around the contest. We kept them very honest because we are strong around the contest and we are starting to figure out how to get the ball away a little more neatly than we have been - the outside players are getting it more cleanly and we are delivering it to our forwards more quickly and accurately. Hawthorn play a much more defensive style of footy than Essendon. They set up and defend the whole ground really well and are prepared to work for each other to keep the opposition honest and allow team mates space to run off and create. We troubled them more than expected because of our contested style of play and our improving set ups at stoppages and, to a lesser extent, of the ground. We've still got a long way to go but you can see the value in Macca's contest-centric philosophy when it troubles the top side. Against an undermanned WCE, we had more opportunities to clear the ball with (relative) composure and take advantage of the way the ground was setup by the work of the players prepared to push hard into the forward line - and defend ferociously when the ball was in there. This weekend is going to be a huge test, but I believe we can be more competitive than some might expect by again playing the contested style and being accountable going both ways. A win is unlikely against such a formidable and disciplined outfit, but I expect us to be able to hold our heads up after. And it will be another wonderful learning experience for the pups, who hopefully will see not only how far they still have to go, but will get an indication of how far they have already come.

The Doctor
30-07-2013, 04:26 PM
No change for me unless forced.

Stringer or Campbell would be in contention should we decide to rest some players.

I would bring both in.

Campbell in first to provide Minson with some back up. We need to see if he can cut it or at least show some potential at this level in the remaining games of the season. Dickson to miss out.

Stringer to come in for Addison. Bigger, stronger, better kick and the future.

Think we should leave Tutt in.

Ozza
30-07-2013, 05:36 PM
In: Hrovat
Out: Macrae

That is all I would be doing.

LostDoggy
30-07-2013, 05:39 PM
I would bring both in.

Campbell in first to provide Minson with some back up. We need to see if he can cut it or at least show some potential at this level in the remaining games of the season. Dickson to miss out.

Campbell, Minson, Roughead, Grant and Jones all in the same team?

The Doctor
30-07-2013, 05:48 PM
Campbell, Minson, Roughead, Grant and Jones all in the same team?

Why not?

with only 5 games to go Campbell should be given a chance to show his worth. All other attempts to support Minson haven't worked, so what have we to lose?

In any case Roughy plays key defender, Jones key forward and Grant on a flank.

soupman
30-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Can we please not pick Campbell unless it's as first ruck.

Let's face it, the absolute maximum 30% game time he would get in the ruck is not worth the selection of him as a key forward for the rest of the match. It took us 15 weeks to get our forwardlines functioning by not having a resting ruckman/markovic in it, why change back to see how a player the club clearly already rates goes in a position not suited to him.

Besides, I think playing fuller games at VFL level could be more beneficial. It certainly didn't harm Minson, or Giles, or Hudson.

Nuggety Back Pocket
30-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Why not?

with only 5 games to go Campbell should be given a chance to show his worth. All other attempts to support Minson haven't worked, so what have we to lose?

I doubt if they would select Campbell. He has been performing very well with Williamstown and will eventually get his chance. I would like to see Hrovat and Stringer return at the expense of Addison and Tutt. Hrovat's excellent disposal is tempting given the poor execution of some of our midfielders. Stringer gives us another marking option up forward and would be a good back up to Jones and Grant. It will be interesting to see who Wallis tags this week given the SS star studded midfield.

Before I Die
30-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Why not?

He has been playing key forward and doing a very good job over the past three weeks.

boydogs
30-07-2013, 07:51 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree. My view is that Cross was removed from the side because we had younger players who needed games who could play his role. We lacked pace and foot skill. I also think those kids have earned their spots, played their roles effectively and improved to where we should let them test themselves against the best teams. We let them do that against the Hawks in Tassie and they acquitted themselves pretty well. I'd rather base the selections on belief than fear.

I would be happy to agree to disagree, except I agree with you :D
I just think this week we need the extra inside player

Remi Moses
30-07-2013, 08:01 PM
We need to keep playing our younger players.
We are 5 and 12 and playing the long game.
Give Cross a farewell game at seasons end, but it has to be about the future.

1eyedog
30-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I would be happy to agree to disagree, except I agree with you :D
I just think this week we need the extra inside player

Why? Is a win more important to you than an extra game into our young players? Honest question because some would say it is.

bornadog
30-07-2013, 09:43 PM
We need to keep playing our younger players.
We are 5 and 12 and playing the long game.
Give Cross a farewell game at seasons end, but it has to be about the future.

Agree, Crossy can play the last game, farewell to Gia and Crossy.

Macca has told Cross he isnot in the best 22, so why would he play this week?

Raw Toast
30-07-2013, 09:49 PM
I would bring both in.

I think this is a good argument for the inclusion of Campbell, but I'm still wary of bringing him in. Seems to me that we've finally found a reasonably balanced team these last few weeks and I think Campbell will unbalance us.

We need all the run we can get, and while Dickson has not been excelling, his pressure work has been ok and he's one of our better tacklers. And the Swans have such an organised back 6, I think they'll cut us to pieces if we have someone like Campbell lumbering down there.

Of course, the counter argument is that the need to evaluate Campbell trumps team-balance, and we're unlikely to win even if he isn't in the side. Also, Minson is buggered. Still, I think Campbell can wait unless Minson really needs the help.

Dry Rot
30-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Key questions for me:

1. We did something really well for 2 quarters last year at Ethiad, and then the wheels fell off. What did we did right initially? And then what did we do wrong in the second half?

2. Given your answers to those two, what player changes could maximise the first and minimise the second?

Maddog37
30-07-2013, 10:43 PM
I personally feel alot of the issues last year were fitness based which, when coupled with inexperience killed us late in matches. Will be interesting to see how we go this time around.

LostDoggy
30-07-2013, 11:34 PM
We are going to be up against it as it is, but why would we add slower players like Cross and Campbell? I'd keep the same side and see how we adapt against a Swans' side that has so many good mid fielders and for whom team is everything.

LostDoggy
31-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Give Big Will a spell entirely for Campbell? Set up expecting to lose the hitout?

DragzLS1
31-07-2013, 01:30 AM
Give Big Will a spell entirely for Campbell? Set up expecting to lose the hitout?

You read my mind..

Hotdog60
31-07-2013, 06:22 AM

Bugger, Canpbell has a blinder winning hit outs 65 - 10 but kept on feeding the swans midfield.:D

I think we could give him a go and reverse Will and Tom's game.

Go_Dogs
31-07-2013, 08:22 AM
In Macca's message to members received last night he mentioned there are likely to be some changes this week so will be interesting to see what happens. It appeared to me that perhaps he was suggesting Hrovat and Stringer may be in the mix and some other youngsters may be rested. I guess that means Hunter and Macrae may be looked at for another rest. Wait and see I guess.

azabob
31-07-2013, 08:53 AM
In Macca's message to members received last night he mentioned there are likely to be some changes this week so will be interesting to see what happens. It appeared to me that perhaps he was suggesting Hrovat and Stringer may be in the mix and some other youngsters may be rested. I guess that means Hunter and Macrae may be looked at for another rest. Wait and see I guess.

Shame if Hunter's going to miss. He really has a great understanding of the game.
The quick chain of handball's between him and Dahlhaus (i think in the last) which ended up getting Dahl into space was very clean, quick and clever

The Underdog
31-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Shame if Hunter's going to miss. He really has a great understanding of the game.
The quick chain of handball's between him and Dahlhaus (i think in the last) which ended up getting Dahl into space was very clean, quick and clever

I love his game but if he misses I think it would be to keep him fresh. He looked buggered by the last quarter last week. Macrae looked buggered when he got on the ground mind you, so one or both might be up for a rest.

Scorlibo
31-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Macca has told Cross he isnot in the best 22, so why would he play this week?

I would have thought that it's more about him not being in the future plans. I think Crossy would still be a regular part of most midfields in the competition if judged on merit.

Macrae looked buggered when he got on the ground mind you, so one or both might be up for a rest.

Does anyone else think that Macrae was brought on a bit late in the game? I know the thinking was probably to give us a bit of spark at the death when the Eagles were coming at us, but it probably worked the other way in that Macrae didn't have time to settle. From what I've seen most subs have an impact in the last quarter after coming on in the third - they get used to the flow of the game before stepping it up themselves.

KT31
31-07-2013, 10:51 AM
but it probably worked the other way in that Macrae didn't have time to settle. From what I've seen most subs have an impact in the last quarter after coming on in the third - they get used to the flow of the game before stepping it up themselves.

Agree, I would have liked to have seen him, or for that matter future Sub's, come on with a little bit of time remaining in the third quarter.
This should as you pointed out allow them to settle, pick up the pace of the game then hopefully have a greater impact in the final quarter.

Nuggety Back Pocket
31-07-2013, 01:58 PM
Key questions for me:

1. We did something really well for 2 quarters last year at Ethiad, and then the wheels fell off. What did we did right initially? And then what did we do wrong in the second half?

2. Given your answers to those two, what player changes could maximise the first and minimise the second?
Without wanting to dissect your two points, I believe the problem lies in making our players in particular the experience of Boyd Cooney and Griffen more accountable with their disposal. Some of their turnovers at the weekend in spite of our good win was inexcusable from such talented players. Murphy's better disposal made him a stand out IMO against the WCE. It is worth study the effectiveness of Hrovat's ball skills.
Good sides in particular Hawthorn and Geelong are masters at delivering the ball to a team mate in a better position. We have proved we can match it with our attack on the ball but improvement will only come once our ball skills improve dramatically.

Cyberdoggie
31-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Does anyone else think that Macrae was brought on a bit late in the game? I know the thinking was probably to give us a bit of spark at the death when the Eagles were coming at us, but it probably worked the other way in that Macrae didn't have time to settle. From what I've seen most subs have an impact in the last quarter after coming on in the third - they get used to the flow of the game before stepping it up themselves.

Yeah far too late. Pointless bringing him on 10 minutes into the last.

Mind you to be very critical of Jackson he does look very laconic with his chasing.
I know he is young and still slightly built, but I don't think he's a clay smith type of footballer if you know what I mean.

I think the golden rule of a sub is that you just have to run your guts out from the moment you come on. Chase everyone in your vicinity.

If Jackson is the type of player that blows up more than others after a hard sprint then he probably shouldn't be a sub.

Ozza
31-07-2013, 03:38 PM
I would have thought that it's more about him not being in the future plans. I think Crossy would still be a regular part of most midfields in the competition if judged on merit.

Do you think we've been a better or worse side with Cross not in the 22 for the second half of this year? (I'm not being a smart arse - its an honest question).

Its probably hard to say whether we'd have been better or worse with him in the side.
Prior to the last 3 weeks, I'd have said he was probably in our best 22 all things being equal - and was out due to future plans.

But our improved ball use and ability to spread and get uncontested footy in the last few weeks leaves me wondering if he would actually make the team better for this week.

Remi Moses
31-07-2013, 04:14 PM
I love his game but if he misses I think it would be to keep him fresh. He looked buggered by the last quarter last week. Macrae looked buggered when he got on the ground mind you, so one or both might be up for a rest.

Noticed Lachie Cramping in the last term as well.

JohnGentStand
31-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Worried we might be a bit small down back vs the swannies.
Doesnt help me with selection!
ins : Hrovat
outs : Macrae

* note: would love for Clay Smih to be playing this week.

boydogs
31-07-2013, 10:43 PM
Why? Is a win more important to you than an extra game into our young players? Honest question because some would say it is.

No, not a win for a wins sake, but I think kids get more out of a win or a competitive loss. There's a point where you say we have enough kids in the side and need to pick our best players, otherwise we would bring Howard in for Murphy, Redpath in for Morris and Prudden in for Boyd.

Scorlibo
31-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Do you think we've been a better or worse side with Cross not in the 22 for the second half of this year? (I'm not being a smart arse - its an honest question).

Its probably hard to say whether we'd have been better or worse with him in the side.
Prior to the last 3 weeks, I'd have said he was probably in our best 22 all things being equal - and was out due to future plans.

But our improved ball use and ability to spread and get uncontested footy in the last few weeks leaves me wondering if he would actually make the team better for this week.

Not that I can refute your reasoning completely, but a lot of very good players could be made to look poor by the side's success when they have and haven't been a part of it.

Crossy actually was very good at spreading from the contest (he's one of the best runners the club has ever seen after all), he just didn't get the separation on his opponent, meaning he'd usually get credited with a contested ball win.

In the end I'm not all that fussed with him playing a role for us at Willy/making way for the future but let's not pretend it's because he isn't good enough anymore.

1eyedog
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
No, not a win for a wins sake, but I think kids get more out of a win or a competitive loss. There's a point where you say we have enough kids in the side and need to pick our best players, otherwise we would bring Howard in for Murphy, Redpath in for Morris and Prudden in for Boyd.

But we are talking about Cross, a man who appears to have reached the limits of his powers, who is no longer in the best 22 and will provide nothing more than a contest IMO. Boyd, Morris and Murphy are all in our best 22 and play every week.

We only played Macrae and Hunter last week with Hrovat and Stringer out. IMO either one of these four now offers the same if not more than Cross does. Cross is still good enough to play AFL, its just that our young kids are too and they're the future.

We need to get the right mix of kids and experience and I think we have it right as it is.

Ghost Dog
01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Quiz Question: Who am I?

Elite runner. Runs three Km's in about 10 minutes.
After school he spent three seasons in the Victorian Football League (VFL) with Williamstown. He was twice invited to train with the Western Bulldogs in the preseason but returned to Sydney shortly after playing in the 2011 VFL grand final. In 2012 he played for UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs in the Sydney Football League and won the Phelan Medal as the best player in the league for the season. Standout game for the year was against the Adelaide Crows where he had 18 disposals (11 kicks, 7 handballs) along with 4 marks and 4 tackles in his sides impressive 127 to 50 victory.

Who am I?

Nuggety Back Pocket
01-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Not that I can refute your reasoning completely, but a lot of very good players could be made to look poor by the side's success when they have and haven't been a part of it.

Crossy actually was very good at spreading from the contest (he's one of the best runners the club has ever seen after all), he just didn't get the separation on his opponent, meaning he'd usually get credited with a contested ball win.

In the end I'm not all that fussed with him playing a role for us at Willy/making way for the future but let's not pretend it's because he isn't good enough anymore.

Cross has been one of my long time favorites but his lack of pace is now a problem. The same can be said of Lower who is slow. Today's game demands quick players and we need to keep finding players like JJ when he is up and running who can break the lines.

LostDoggy
01-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Quiz Question: Who am I?

Elite runner. Runs three Km's in about 10 minutes.
After school he spent three seasons in the Victorian Football League (VFL) with Williamstown. He was twice invited to train with the Western Bulldogs in the preseason but returned to Sydney shortly after playing in the 2011 VFL grand final. In 2012 he played for UNSW-Eastern Suburbs Bulldogs in the Sydney Football League and won the Phelan Medal as the best player in the league for the season. Standout game for the year was against the Adelaide Crows where he had 18 disposals (11 kicks, 7 handballs) along with 4 marks and 4 tackles in his sides impressive 127 to 50 victory.

Who am I?

Haha, yep Dane Rampe.

always right
01-08-2013, 04:28 PM
But we are talking about Cross, a man who appears to have reached the limits of his powers, who is no longer in the best 22 and will provide nothing more than a contest IMO. Boyd, Morris and Murphy are all in our best 22 and play every week.

We only played Macrae and Hunter last week with Hrovat and Stringer out. IMO either one of these four now offers the same if not more than Cross does. Cross is still good enough to play AFL, its just that our young kids are too and they're the future.

We need to get the right mix of kids and experience and I think we have it right as it is.

Whoah! "Provides nothing more than a contest"? This is so disrespectful.

True he may not be in our best 22 anymore but he is known for so much more than your throw away line. One of our best overhead marks for his size in recent times, ability to get a constructive handball away under great pressure, ability to run to space when every other bugger is stuffed, providing invaluable support to his defenders and a player that nearly always hits a target by playing within his limitations. And of course there is his outstanding courage.

You may not have meant it this way but I hate it when supporters grossly understate a player's contribution.

Hotdog60
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans
Etihad Stadium, Sunday August 4, 1.10pm AEST

WESTERN BULLDOGS
In: D.Cross, M.Austin, C.Howard, T.Campbell, J.Stringer
Out: M.Boyd (calf), L.Jones (ankle)

SYDNEY SWANS
In: R.Shaw, M.Morton, S.Biggs
Out: -

G-Mo77
01-08-2013, 07:33 PM
With Jones as an out I'm going to take a guess that this will be our final 4 on the pine.

22 Dylan Addison
9 Jake Stringer
26 Lachie Hunter
30 Christian Howard

Hotdog60
01-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Wasn't it a calf issue for Boyd before?

Remi Moses
01-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Calf's come back often. I get them from jogging, and they're a pain in the arse.

Go_Dogs
Boyd's had a terrible run with injury this year. Anyone know if it's been the same calf each time?

1eyedog
Whoah! "Provides nothing more than a contest"? This is so disrespectful.

True he may not be in our best 22 anymore but he is known for so much more than your throw away line. One of our best overhead marks for his size in recent times, ability to get a constructive handball away under great pressure, ability to run to space when every other bugger is stuffed, providing invaluable support to his defenders and a player that nearly always hits a target by playing within his limitations. And of course there is his outstanding courage.

You may not have meant it this way but I hate it when supporters grossly understate a player's contribution.

No I didn't I meant that I really don't see him as more than a stoppage 'in and under' clearance player now and we have them in spades. He is good in areas but we have so many pups being groomed to take over his roll, pups that are fast and need to develop. In terms of getting into space I'm not sure if this is a product of his endurance or that the opposition peel of him because he fails to hurt with his disposal or pace.

He has been a very good player for us for a long time and has alwys lead by example, my point was more to highlight the many more strings that our pups now have in their bows.

The Underdog
01-08-2013, 08:08 PM
With Jones as an out I'm going to take a guess that this will be our final 4 on the pine.

22 Dylan Addison
9 Jake Stringer
26 Lachie Hunter
30 Christian Howard

Reckon we'll need Campbell or Austin's height. If Campbell plays its Roughy back on the resting ruck. If Austin plays then he plays that role and Roughead plays forward/2nd ruck to start. Don't think either are great options but think it's one tall too few otherwise. Swap one in for Howard.

G-Mo77
01-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Boyd's had a terrible run with injury this year. Anyone know if it's been the same calf each time?

Either way constant calf injuries are usually a sign of an aging player. They call them the old man injury. :)

Reckon we'll need Campbell or Austin's height. If Campbell plays its Roughy back on the resting ruck. If Austin plays then he plays that role and Roughead plays forward/2nd ruck to start. Don't think either are great options but think it's one tall too few otherwise. Swap one in for Howard.

You're probably right there. If either I think it'll be Austin. He's been on the bubble for weeks now and will probably get the nod.

LostDoggy
01-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Cross and Stringer in for mine

boydogs
01-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Boyd, Morris and Murphy are all in our best 22 and play every week.

We only played Macrae and Hunter last week with Hrovat and Stringer out. IMO either one of these four now offers the same if not more than Cross does.

Is Boyd that much better than Cross?

Wasn't it a calf issue for Boyd before?

Reminds me of Brad Johnson's last season.

bulldogtragic
01-08-2013, 08:52 PM
I'd like to look to the future, while trying to win in the now.

Stringer for Jones.
Howard to play for his future

Campbell and Austin maybe tall, but neither are ready to make an impact. Crossy deserves another game this year as a farewell, but I'd rather manipulate it that Howard plays now and Cross in a few weeks.

1eyedog
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Is Boyd that much better than Cross?

Reminds me of Brad Johnson's last season.

Probably not no but he provides a bit more run and is still dangerous inside F50 for mine.

chef
01-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Cross and Stringer in for mine

Same here.

Rocco Jones
01-08-2013, 09:09 PM
I don't want to play Campbell or Austin but do we need a 2nd ruck without Jones? Not like Jones/anyone we play in the 2nd ruck does much of a job. Don't wanna unsettle Roughead in his assignment on Tippett. Grant for tiny spells? Might get broken.

Remi Moses
01-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Like for like for mine. If Hrovat was available, he'd be in for Cross.
In Stringer Cross

F'scary
01-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Looking at the team line ups, Pike/Mumford & Tippet need match ups. I presume Roughead won't line up at FF but will go to FB or BP. Perhaps Morris could be tried first on whichever of these positions is then left. He will be giving away a lot of height and weight whichever one it is. But he has done this before.

Stringer to FF, Grant will have to play CHF. Of the rest of the ins, therefore, I suppose, Addison, Hunter & Howard will get the nod and start on the bench with Tutt or Macrae joining them. I would like to see Addison as Sub because we need to keep getting games into the youngsters and (in Howard's case) give chances to show wares.

Happy Days
01-08-2013, 09:54 PM
If Roughie is going to make it as a KPB, he eats dudes like Tippett

azabob
01-08-2013, 09:57 PM
If Roughie is going to make it as a KPB, he eats dudes like Tippett

Agree to a degree (try saying that fast three times), it all depends on the midfield and how easily and often Sydney go inside 50.

The Doctor
01-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Calf's come back often. I get them from jogging, and they're a pain in the arse.

then you're problem is not a calf problem :D

The Doctor
01-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I don't want to play Campbell or Austin but do we need a 2nd ruck without Jones? Not like Jones/anyone we play in the 2nd ruck does much of a job. Don't wanna unsettle Roughead in his assignment on Tippett. Grant for tiny spells? Might get broken.

Must not play Grant in the ruck. Campbell must come for ruck assistance given Jones out, and Stringer should come in to help offset Jones, which would mean one other to come out. Dickson would be my exclusion in this case.

Rocco Jones
01-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Must not play Grant in the ruck. Campbell must come for ruck assistance given Jones out, and Stringer should come in to help offset Jones, which would mean one other to come out. Dickson would be my exclusion in this case.

Yep. The 2nd ruck spot has been annoying for us this season.

Stringer + Campbell in for Boyd + Jones?

Hotdog60
01-08-2013, 10:52 PM
The team sheet has Roughy at FF and Grant at HF so Roughy going to second ruck I would say.

Up to Moz and Talia to stop Tippett and White.

3 to go Addison, Howard and Campbell

Austin gets a gig to support the backs

The Underdog
01-08-2013, 10:59 PM
The team sheet has Roughy at FF and Grant at HF so Roughy going to second ruck I would say.

Up to Moz and Talia to stop Tippett and White.

3 to go Addison, Howard and Campbell

Austin gets a gig to support the backs

Not sure the team sheet means 2/5 of *!*!*!*! all. Might happen but I wouldn't trust the team sheet to tell you much.

The Doctor
01-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Yep. The 2nd ruck spot has been annoying for us this season.

Stringer + Campbell in for Boyd + Jones?

i expect Cross to go in so

in: cross, stringer, campbell

out: Jones, boyd, dickson

LostDoggy
02-08-2013, 11:05 AM
Awful news for Boyd. I actually thought last week he played his best game of the season. Very disciplined, team oriented game, a different role than previous.

stefoid
02-08-2013, 01:44 PM
then you're problem is not a calf problem :D

They dont call him the Doctor for nothing

bornadog
02-08-2013, 04:11 PM

G8g5BrLm7uQ

SlimPickens
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM

Guessing it's not an English doctorate!:D

LostDoggy
02-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Offical changes

Out: Boyd, Jones

In: Cross, Campbell

bulldogtragic
02-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Offical changes

Fact: Match committee don't follow WOOF :) :)

whythelongface
Does this mean Grant CHF and Cambell at Ff?

1eyedog
Offical changes

Shame, was looking forward to seeing Stringer play.

Remi Moses
02-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I suspect the've brought Campbell in because with Sydney being land of the giants up forward they can't afford to play Roughy in the ruck.
What's happened to Hrovat?

G-Mo77
02-08-2013, 06:25 PM
I suspect the've brought Campbell in because with Sydney being land of the giants up forward they can't afford to play Roughy in the ruck.

Campbell deserves a game, he's only been played once this year and he's our insurance if Will goes down. He's got to play a few games at least, maybe the rest of the year. I'm not really fussed on match up issues at this stage to be honest.

Hrovat was injured in his last game.

LostDoggy
02-08-2013, 06:28 PM

In a radio interview with Dylan Addison, Addo said he's missed the the last couple with a quad.

G-Mo77
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Oh and I forgot. Welcome back Crossy!

Maddog37
02-08-2013, 06:33 PM
He did a quad earlier in the year too didn't he?

Remi Moses
02-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Campbell deserves a game, he's only been played once this year and he's our insurance if Will goes down. He's got to play a few games at least, maybe the rest of the year. I'm not really fussed on match up issues at this stage to be honest.

Hrovat was injured in his last game.

I'm not that fussed either to be honest.
They have Pike White and Tippett up forward so hence why we need Roughead down back on a permanent basis. Agree Campbell deserves a gig.

jeemak
02-08-2013, 08:05 PM
I'm fine with Campbell getting a game as well. He needs the senior experience and reminders of the things he needs to work on gained from it, just like any of the players on our list we've identified as having a future.

Well done to Crossy on getting called back up. Of course his attitude was never going to drop off when playing two's, but good to see reward for his effort.

For some reason I have a feeling there'll be one more change, with Howard coming in maybe for MaCrae or Hunter who may need a spell. No reason, just a silly hunch.

G-Mo77
02-08-2013, 09:12 PM
I'm not that fussed either to be honest.
They have Pike White and Tippett up forward so hence why we need Roughead down back on a permanent basis. Agree Campbell deserves a gig.

Yeah Campbell fits a little better this week. I hope he's not yo-yo'd. He's worked hard, he and Crossy are probably the only 2 breaking down the door at Willy it wouldn't be fair on Campbell to drop him after a week.

LostDoggy
02-08-2013, 09:22 PM
Great to see Crossy back and Campbell get a game. I think Tommy will surprise and show improvement from his last game.

Rocco Jones
03-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Think it will be easier for Campbell playing alongside Grant then it was last time with Jones.

bulldogtragic
03-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Just like the vintage early 90's,

Campbell and a skinny Grant as KPP's, with Hunter, Wallis and Libba running around.

F'scary
03-08-2013, 06:40 PM
G8g5BrLm7uQ

You are an enemy of the Cybermen. You will be deleted.

Bulldog Revolution
04-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Hope Campbell has a great game - I'll be really interested to see if he covers the ground a bit better - its been my major concern about his game

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Hope Campbell has a great game - I'll be really interested to see if he covers the ground a bit better - its been my major concern about his game

It's been a decent start for him ;)

chef
04-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Great 1st quarter, keep it going Doggies.

boydogs
04-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Crossy played well today, shut down Hannebery and got plenty of the ball himself.

Does that change anyone's views as to whether he should have been selected? Do posters still think we would have been better off with another youngster for our development?

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Crossy played well today, shut down Hannebery and got plenty of the ball himself.

Does that change anyone's views as to whether he should have been selected? Do posters still think we would have been better off with another youngster for our development?

The MC made the right decision. I don't believe throwing games at youngsters is necessarily the right thing so I think it's a good thing to make players (whatever age) earn it.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Tommy C has trimmed down a bit