PDA

View Full Version : Sam Power A Roo

The Coon Dog
12-10-2007, 02:29 PM
Traded for 3rd round pick - #48.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:22 PM
Ummm not sure how i feel about this one..... im pretty sure im feeling its no big loss at the moment, but i might have to take that back in a few years! :P
3rd round pick isnt too bad..... he's been useless here for years, though he was an alright tagger...which is neccessary imo
who can tag next year?

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:24 PM
I'm a bit disappointed about this trade, but not devastated, he needed a change and deserves another shot at footy. Good luck to him.

The Coon Dog
12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I'm a bit disappointed about this trade, but not devastated, he needed a change and deserves another shot at footy. Good luck to him.

That's how I feel too.

dog town
12-10-2007, 08:41 PM
Not sure he is a great fit at North but good luck to him. I think Sydney would have really suited him. A very structured game plan where you dont really need to take any risks of your own accord. He could have found a nice little role with them. I suppose North play a fairly basic style which might suit him better than our style did as well.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 09:03 PM
He cant play. Simple as that. I would rather give an opportunity to a Stack or Hill rather than trying to persist with Power.

Having said that i hope he can salvage a successful career with North. Best of luck to him.

GVGjr
12-10-2007, 09:05 PM
He cant play. Simple as that. I would rather give an opportunity to a Stack or Hill rather than trying to persist with Power.

Having said that i hope he can salvage a successful career with North. Best of luck to him.

Way too harsh on him. I think in the right system Power can be a good footballer. He showed some signs in the last two years that he can play he just wasn't consistent enough.

FWIW, I think both Stack and Hill are a fair way off it at the moment.

Mofra
12-10-2007, 10:00 PM
He was being played as a tagger. I don't rate his as a tagger on goalkickers, who can drag him deep into the backline.

DFA shown a bit & Callan sounds promising as tagging players. Boyd & Cross have played good midfield run with roles, Gia & Ray have done it for mobile flankers.

Power is not in our top 30 so his move doesn't hurt us.

GVGjr
12-10-2007, 10:14 PM
Power is not in our top 30 so his move doesn't hurt us.

His move might not hurt us much but we didn't get a player with some senior experience or ideally a KPP to replace him either.

I agree that we can cover McMahon and Power although I do think we haven't seen the best of McMahon yet.

macca028
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
about time we cleared out the duds

LostDoggy
13-10-2007, 12:21 AM

i'm getting sick of your...........*deep breathe*. If you don't have anything interesting to add then i suggest you take it elsewhere.

firstdogonthemoon
13-10-2007, 12:59 AM

Oh dear! I am not certain this post is genuinely seeking to make a contribution to any serious discussion. One of the things that I like about this board is that we gently discourage posts that simply bag people without a considered justification. We want to have a real conversation, more content, less posturing. We do in fact try not to bag people at all, players or otherwise (admittedly with limited success) and the point is that this board is different to other boards. One of the things I do, because I am very fond of this board and also a pompous git, is to try and respond in a friendly (although sometimes patronising tone) to let people know that poorly constructed posts like this make the rest of us a bit sad. Clearly "all the duds" need to go. And we assume Sam Power is "a dud". But this is a discussion, not just an opportunity to bang on about stuff what we think. And have a crack at those crazy capitals, god made them for a reason.

bornadog
13-10-2007, 01:07 AM
FWIW, I think both Stack and Hill are a fair way off it at the moment.

Your not wrong there, they are both teenagers, long way to go. Power is already 24 and played over 80 games.

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 01:09 AM
What about Brennan?

bornadog
13-10-2007, 01:17 AM
What about Brennan?

Brennan may end up in the PSD, and we have 4th pick so may be hard to get him.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2007, 11:35 AM
Your not wrong there, they are both teenagers, long way to go. Power is already 24 and played over 80 games.

Do you both think it's unrealistic to hope that guys like Stack and Hill will have an impact this coming season?

The Coon Dog
13-10-2007, 01:09 PM
Do you both think it's unrealistic to hope that guys like Stack and Hill will have an impact this coming season?

No, I don't think we should use age as an excuse. Look at who led the way for Collingwood this year. If you're good enough, you're good enough!

GVGjr
13-10-2007, 01:14 PM

They can get some senior experience in 2008 but I doubt they will make that much of an impact.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2007, 01:28 PM
No, I don't think we should use age as an excuse. Look at who led the way for Collingwood this year. If you're good enough, you're good enough!

I agree.

I'd really like us to throw the gauntlet down on them, and let them show us what they can do.

GVGjr, do you think it's body size that will hold them back at this stage, or fitness? I'd be prepared for them to play, regardless if they're a bit smaller in the body than their opponents. Their speed and agility is what will get them through.

GVGjr
13-10-2007, 01:56 PM
I agree.

I'd really like us to throw the gauntlet down on them, and let them show us what they can do.

GVGjr, do you think it's body size that will hold them back at this stage, or fitness? I'd be prepared for them to play, regardless if they're a bit smaller in the body than their opponents. Their speed and agility is what will get them through.

Yes body size, fitness and application are the areas they need to improve on. The don't posses the defensive attributes we need either. It doesn't mean that it can't be taught but thats why we should play them in the VFL and work on those area's.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Yes body size, fitness and application are the areas they need to improve on. The don't posses the defensive attributes we need either. It doesn't mean that it can't be taught but thats why we should play them in the VFL and work on those area's.

Fair enough. From your assessments it seems as though they didn't improve too much on their defensive aspects over their first year. Would I be correct in saying that you feel that they'll need another couple of years in the system to really have a big impact?

I remain hopeful, due to what Harbrow showed, and someone like Jetta in his first few games before injury, that even though they are slight in the body, and do have some weakness at this stage, they can impact in a positive way. Harbrow was obviously very impressive with his attitude to pre-season training and worked hard to establish himself over the summer, perhaps that is what is differentiating him at the moment.

GVGjr
13-10-2007, 03:13 PM
Fair enough. From your assessments it seems as though they didn't improve too much on their defensive aspects over their first year. Would I be correct in saying that you feel that they'll need another couple of years in the system to really have a big impact?

I remain hopeful, due to what Harbrow showed, and someone like Jetta in his first few games before injury, that even though they are slight in the body, and do have some weakness at this stage, they can impact in a positive way. Harbrow was obviously very impressive with his attitude to pre-season training and worked hard to establish himself over the summer, perhaps that is what is differentiating him at the moment.

I think they will play some senior football in 2008 but it's not always ideal to have players learn something critical like the how to apply yourself to a defensive role in the seniors.
Harbrow is a lot further developed in that area than the other two at the moment and that is one of the reasons why he played a fair bit of senior football.
The thing with Stack is he spent the majority of the season with the Werribee 2nds so it would be a huge jump for him to play a lot of senior footy in 2008.
You have seen my Werribee reports so you know that I rate them it's just in my opinion they need a lot more work.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2007, 04:30 PM
I think they will play some senior football in 2008 but it's not always ideal to have players learn something critical like the how to apply yourself to a defensive role in the seniors.
Harbrow is a lot further developed in that area than the other two at the moment and that is one of the reasons why he played a fair bit of senior football.
The thing with Stack is he spent the majority of the season with the Werribee 2nds so it would be a huge jump for him to play a lot of senior footy in 2008.
You have seen my Werribee reports so you know that I rate them it's just in my opinion they need a lot more work.

They are really both still physically maturing and pretty lightly built, but you can certainly see the athletic potential in them. 2007 was a good development year for them both: Stack played mainly reserves and a few senior games, Hill was a handy contributor at times in the VFL seniors and made his AFL debut against the Eagles.

IMO it could only motivate a player to see how good the Eagles were, and the opportunity available to play AFL.

My hope for them would be to become regular senior VFL players at Willy in 2008, and to have a real impact on the games at that level. Harbrow did it this year and was electric in a handful of games for W'Bee and Malcolm Lynch also had some games where he was a real factor. If Willy can help these youngsters learn the game they way they taught Martin Clarke then we should see good results.

bornadog
20-10-2009, 05:48 PM
Delisted today

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 05:58 PM
Delisted today
Ouch. 120 odd games without polling 1 solitary Brownlow Vote. I think this record will stand for some time.

Shame i always liked Sammy, but no-one liked the Sam Power Posse i started...

Ah well, all the best to him. He is a very intelligent young man. I hope he finishes his law degree and can play some decent VFL footy around it.

AndrewP6
20-10-2009, 06:00 PM
Sorry to read of Power's delisting... as a distant relative, I feel for the guy. (And yes, it's true, I am a distant relative of his!)

Ozza
20-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Ouch. 120 odd games without polling 1 solitary Brownlow Vote. I think this record will stand for some time.

Shame i always liked Sammy, but no-one liked the Sam Power Posse i started...

Ah well, all the best to him. He is a very intelligent young man. I hope he finishes his law degree and can play some decent VFL footy around it.

There's quite a few that have played many more games and never polled a vote. I'd rather not name names though!!!!

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2009, 06:32 PM
There's quite a few that have played many more games and never polled a vote. I'd rather not name names though!!!!

I think I heard that Michael Tuck polled his only Brownlow vote in his last season?

TCD will know that, I'm sure.

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I thought i heard some 'comedians' say he had the record, obviously not...

Sedat
20-10-2009, 06:49 PM
I think Ross Henshaw might hold the record for most VFL/AFL games without a Brownlow vote

The Coon Dog
20-10-2009, 06:53 PM
I think I heard that Michael Tuck polled his only Brownlow vote in his last season?

TCD will know that, I'm sure.

No, he polled 104 career Brownlow Medal votes.

Michael Tuck (http://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/M/Michael_Tuck.html)

Go_Dogs
20-10-2009, 07:22 PM
So, after a couple of years Power has gone, and IIRC we got Boumann with pick 48 who has had an impressive year of development and should be pushing for some senior game time next year. Seems like a good result for us.

Remi Moses
20-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Another justified decision by Rocket. Nice young bloke and good luck to him

bulldogsfight
20-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Hargreaves got his first votes this year

chef
20-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Hargreaves got his first votes this year

Who does he play for?

1eyedog
20-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Hargrave (edited for accuracy).

bulldogtragic
20-10-2009, 09:41 PM
Another justified decision by Rocket. Nice young bloke and good luck to him
Fair point. When you look at the players he has decided aren't up to it, they haven't done anything. For anyone still questioning the GOK decision, look at Eade's record of cutting players at the dogs (remembering Ray left, he was traded or delisted).

The Underdog
20-10-2009, 09:56 PM
So, after a couple of years Power has gone, and IIRC we got Boumann with pick 48 who has had an impressive year of development and should be pushing for some senior game time next year. Seems like a good result for us.

Or it would if we hadn't have spent pick 10 on Power in the first place. That suddenly makes it seem much worse. Unless Boumann fulfil's Comrade's expectations of course.:)

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2009, 10:46 PM
Or it would if we hadn't have spent pick 10 on Power in the first place. That suddenly makes it seem much worse. Unless Boumann fulfil's Comrade's expectations of course.:)

We could have overlooked Power and taken the kid that went at pick 11 instead. Richie Cole.

Happy Days
20-10-2009, 10:54 PM
We could have overlooked Power and taken the kid that went at pick 11 instead. Richie Cole.

Or that spud who went at 13 - Dal Santo.

Seriously, all this is is another waste of a first round pick. McMahon, Power, Walsh, Ray; all seriously failed to deliver on expectations. Three of these four taken in the top ten, two in the top five. And the jury is still out on every first rounder from Williams onwards (Higgins excluded).

Who said Clayton was a good recruiter?

Sockeye Salmon
20-10-2009, 11:54 PM

Seriously, all this is is another waste of a first round pick. McMahon, Power, Walsh, Ray; all seriously failed to deliver on expectations. Three of these four taken in the top ten, two in the top five. And the jury is still out on every first rounder from Williams onwards (Higgins excluded).

Who said Clayton was a good recruiter?

I do.

It's pretty easy picking kids 8 years after the event.

Happy Days
21-10-2009, 12:10 AM
I do.

It's pretty easy picking kids 8 years after the event.

Was besides the point.

He had a blinder in '99, and has gotten some good gets very, very deep, but he misses alot of sitters. You can't possibly deny that we had a terrible strike rate with top picks under Clayton.

jazzadogs
21-10-2009, 12:13 AM
Was besides the point.

He had a blinder in '99, and has gotten some good gets very, very deep, but he misses alot of sitters. You can't possibly deny that we had a terrible strike rate with top picks under Clayton.
I don't know what the result of this would be, but it would be interesting to compare our top picks with other teams top picks over the time Clayton was in charge.

I don't think there is any one team, or recruiter, which has perfected the draft. I daresay that whilst we had some mistakes, there are plenty of other teams like us.

Clayton's recruiting, combined with Eade's coaching and player development, has led to us playing in two straight preliminary finals and looking to improve. You can't say he did a bad job.

LostDoggy
21-10-2009, 12:15 AM
You can't possibly deny that we had a terrible strike rate with top picks under Clayton.

Yep, fair call Happy Days. His return with the top picks hasn't been great.

Happy Days
21-10-2009, 12:19 AM
Clayton's recruiting, combined with Eade's coaching and player development, has led to us playing in two straight preliminary finals and looking to improve. You can't say he did a bad job.

Not a bad job, but geez is he overrated.

He is a good depth recruiter, which is why we have done so well through the rookie list and such, but he missed horribly, many times, on what are meant to be gimmies, and that, in my opinion, is his failing.

Imagine if we had of made full use of our early picks like St. Kilda, or Hawthorn have done?

Sockeye Salmon
21-10-2009, 12:54 AM
Stephen Wells has been Geelong's recruiter for ages and won two premierships but is his record really any better than Clayton's?

Let's have a look at Geelongs two premiership sides.

Half his premiership players have been either father/sons (2 x Abletts, Scarlett, Blake), trades (Harley, Mooney, Ottens), before Wells arrived (King, Milburn) or top 10 picks (Bartel, Corey, Mackie, Selwood).

Kelly (17), Johnson (24), Chapman (31), Ling (38), Enright (47) & Rooke (rookie) were good picks. Were they better selections than Giansiracusa (32), Hahn (37), Gilbee (47), Cross (56), Lake (71), Boyd (rookie), Morris (rookie)?

Clayton missed with Power (10), Wells missed with Spriggs (15).
Clayton missed with Faulkner (17), Wells missed with Bray (17).
Clayton missed with Jesse Wells (22), Wells missed with Foster (23).

Tim Walsh (4) was our big disaster, but this had as much to do with a broken leg, broken thumb and an ACL than anything to do with ability. Kane Tenace (7) is now gone too.

Even his top ten picks in this years grand final side can be compared to their closest draft pick - Selwood (7) or Griffen (3), Mackie (7) or Williams (6), Corey (8) or Higgins (10), Bartel (8) or Murphy (13).

Harry Taylor (17) or Cal Ward (19).
Varcoe (15) or Everitt (11)

I haven't included Cooney or Grant in the comparison because Geelong haven't had a no. 1 pick and it's a bit early to make a call on Grant (Geelong had no pick near him anyway).

Wells is generally accepted as the best in the business but Clayton's record sits comfortably alongside.

Sedat
21-10-2009, 01:09 AM
Imagine if we had of made full use of our early picks like St. Kilda, or Hawthorn have done?
St Kilda have just lost 2 of their top 5 picks in the super draft of 2001, with neither player managing to string together more than a couple of seasons of high class form. As for the Hawks, their record in the first round of the ND outside of 2004 is as bad as anyone's. I have a bit of a theory on Clayton in that his failures tend to be more noticable because he places enormous credence on 'upside', and it tends to fail spectacularly when it doesn't come off. But the reality is that Clayton's record from pick 30 onwards (including the rookie draft) is better than anyone in the caper. Granted he has muffed a few top-end picks over the journey but he's not the lone ranger there amongst the recruiting fraternity.

The theory behind McMahon and Power was sound at the time but they didn't quite reach the heights they promised to reach - both these guys were improving at a good clip, were consistently very good in 2006 and looked as though they were on the cusp of developing into high class and consistent AFL footballers. It is unfortunate but they both regressed in 2007 for various reasons but we still managed to extract some value out of them while they still had currency. The Brennan/Mackie instead of Walsh/Faulkner issue in 2002 has been discussed at length, but injuries sure did screw any chance Walsh might have had to make it. Cooney/Ray looks increasingly good in 2003, Griff a no-brainer in 2004, Williams has been cruelled by injury and a complete lack of continuity, Higgins is a star in the making, and the jury is out on Everitt, Grant and Cordy. Not great in the first round but as good as there is from the 3rd round onwards. You'd take his record most days of the week compared to other clubs.

vho
21-10-2009, 02:19 AM
St Kilda have just lost 2 of their top 5 picks in the super draft of 2001, with neither player managing to string together more than a couple of seasons of high class form. As for the Hawks, their record in the first round of the ND outside of 2004 is as bad as anyone's. I have a bit of a theory on Clayton in that his failures tend to be more noticable because he places enormous credence on 'upside', and it tends to fail spectacularly when it doesn't come off. But the reality is that Clayton's record from pick 30 onwards (including the rookie draft) is better than anyone in the caper. Granted he has muffed a few top-end picks over the journey but he's not the lone ranger there amongst the recruiting fraternity.

The theory behind McMahon and Power was sound at the time but they didn't quite reach the heights they promised to reach - both these guys were improving at a good clip, were consistently very good in 2006 and looked as though they were on the cusp of developing into high class and consistent AFL footballers. It is unfortunate but they both regressed in 2007 for various reasons but we still managed to extract some value out of them while they still had currency. The Brennan/Mackie instead of Walsh/Faulkner issue in 2002 has been discussed at length, but injuries sure did screw any chance Walsh might have had to make it. Cooney/Ray looks increasingly good in 2003, Griff a no-brainer in 2004, Williams has been cruelled by injury and a complete lack of continuity, Higgins is a star in the making, and the jury is out on Everitt, Grant and Cordy. Not great in the first round but as good as there is from the 3rd round onwards. You'd take his record most days of the week compared to other clubs.

Give me a break!

Remi Moses
21-10-2009, 06:50 AM
Blimey the jury wouldn't have even deliberated on Cordy yet:eek:Clayton like most of the recruiters has been hit and miss. I think Sockeye summed up my sentiments

chef
21-10-2009, 07:57 AM

I'm quite happy with the list Clayton and Eade have put together. There is always going to be hits and misses with the draft because it is impossible to predict how a player is going to development physically and mentally.

Sedat
21-10-2009, 12:37 PM
Blimey the jury wouldn't have even deliberated on Cordy yet:eek:Clayton like most of the recruiters has been hit and miss. I think Sockeye summed up my sentiments
My use of the phrase "the jury is out" means that we haven't had enough time to assess these players yet - it doesn't mean that they are lost causes. KPP's need 4 years minimum in the system before they can even start to have an impact and be judged accordingly - Everitt has only had 3. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "too early to tell" to avoid any confusion.

Doc26
21-10-2009, 01:04 PM
My use of the phrase "the jury is out" means that we haven't had enough time to assess these players yet - it doesn't mean that they are lost causes. KPP's need 4 years minimum in the system before they can even start to have an impact and be judged accordingly - Everitt has only had 3. Perhaps I should have used the phrase "too early to tell" to avoid any confusion.

"Too early to tell" is OK although Ayce should'nt be in this list for now. Also, we should consider that after 3 years since selecting Andrejs as a first rounder that he is still highly regarded by other suitors and hasn't fallen back too many places in terms of interest out there.

Scraggers
21-10-2009, 01:17 PM
Stephen Wells has been Geelong's recruiter for ages and won two premierships but is his record really any better than Clayton's?

Half his premiership players have been either father/sons (2 x Abletts, Scarlett, Blake), trades (Harley, Mooney, Ottens), before Wells arrived (King, Milburn) or top 10 picks (Bartel, Corey, Mackie, Selwood).

Kelly (17), Johnson (24), Chapman (31), Ling (38), Enright (47) & Rooke (rookie) were good picks. Were they better selections than Giansiracusa (32), Hahn (37), Gilbee (47), Cross (56), Lake (71), Boyd (rookie), Morris (rookie)?

Tim Walsh (4) was our big disaster, but this had as much to do with a broken leg, broken thumb and an ACL than anything to do with ability. Kane Tenace (7) is now gone too.

Even his top ten picks in this years grand final side can be compared to their closest draft pick - Selwood (7) or Griffen (3), Mackie (7) or Williams (6), Corey (8) or Higgins (10), Bartel (8) or Murphy (13).

I haven't included Cooney or Grant in the comparison because Geelong haven't had a no. 1 pick and it's a bit early to make a call on Grant (Geelong had no pick near him anyway).

Wells is generally accepted as the best in the business but Clayton's record sits comfortably alongside.

Great post SS !!

Doc26
21-10-2009, 01:38 PM

An interesting read 'Sockeye', thanks for the effort in pulling it together. The 2 fortuitous father and sons in Ablett and Scarlett stand out as differences. Maybe we should be considering contract bonuses if 100 games are reached and sons are produced :). The Mackie / Williams one might be a stretch for now although your point is well made re Clayton's general performance over Wells IF he is to take all the responsibiity / blame / credit etc. There are just inches involved but maybe it is just those inches that make the difference between a team now being regarded as one of the best to the rest, father and sons excluded.

Topdog
21-10-2009, 03:25 PM
There are just inches involved but maybe it is just those inches that make the difference between a team now being regarded as one of the best to the rest, father and sons excluded.

We are considered one of the best though.

Happy Days
22-10-2009, 12:11 AM

Great post SS, and you are right in everything you say except for the bolded bit.

When comparing their four with our four, you would take their four 11 times out of ten. There is no comparison.

Wherein lies what I'm trying to say; under Clayton, we did not make the most of our top picks, and in many cases (Power, Faulkner, Wells, Walsh [that you included], Ray, McMahon [that you didn't]), we missed altogether.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2009, 12:32 AM
Great post SS, and you are right in everything you say except for the bolded bit.

When comparing their four with our four, you would take their four 11 times out of ten. There is no comparison.

Wherein lies what I'm trying to say; under Clayton, we did not make the most of our top picks, and in many cases (Power, Faulkner, Wells, Walsh [that you included], Ray, McMahon [that you didn't]), we missed altogether.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Ray and McMahon were oversights. I originally had McMahon in and then moved him because I didn't know what to do with him. McMahon couldn't be considered a failure, he played 120-odd games with us and then we traded him for a top 20 pick, but he's no longer with us.

Ray I forgot about altogether! I could easily have slotted Ray into the Tenace comparison and excused Walsh on the grounds that he broke just about every bit there was to him.

Their 4 top tenners might be considered better than our 4 in my comparison - perhaps (especially if you write for the Herald-Sun) - but no way is there much in it.

mjp
22-10-2009, 12:49 AM
SS - I do love the Wells vs Clayton comparison. You have had a number of equally good ideas - no other has had quite the longevity and timelessness of this particular one though...

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2009, 01:51 AM
SS - I do love the Wells vs Clayton comparison. You have had a number of equally good ideas - no other has had quite the longevity and timelessness of this particular one though...

I re-hashed it from BF circa 2006 (that's why I missed Ray)

LostDoggy
22-10-2009, 11:13 AM

Dal Santo went at 9, if I recall correctly.

LostDoggy
22-10-2009, 11:23 AM

Adding to Walsh, if you consider that Williams has also had a terrible time with injuries, Grant has had OP, Everitt's missed big chunks of game-time due to injury, and all our talls except Lake and Minson are injury-prone, can we at least say that there was a problem with our due diligence re: physical resilience when it comes to taller players?

It may be more of a medico problem than any fault of the recruiter per se, but it's still a stark failing, and we can't say that this is a luck thing when so many of them are falling over -- sometimes too high a premium can be put on ability and too low a premium on longevity/hardiness. Thank goodness our backline (other than Williams) rarely misses a game.

Sockeye Salmon
22-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Dal Santo went at 9, if I recall correctly.

Luke Molan went to Melbourne at 9.
Del Santo was 13.

LostDoggy
22-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Luke Molan went to Melbourne at 9.
Del Santo was 13.

Luke who?

Thank goodness we got Sam Power, I say.

Doc26
22-10-2009, 12:27 PM
There will always be big misses in hindsight.

Yes, Dal at 13 but also deeper 2nd round and beyond were Stevie J at 24, Sammy Mitchell at 36, Joey Montagna at 37, Dane Swan at 58 all in this '01 SuperDraft etc etc

LostDog
22-10-2009, 05:05 PM
We have to stop drafting siblings etc Power,Bowden i just hope roughhead and everitt come right

Go_Dogs
22-10-2009, 05:44 PM
We have to stop drafting siblings etc Power,Bowden i just hope roughhead and everitt come right

I guess we're just lucky Roughead is a cousin, not a brother then. ;)

Mofra
23-10-2009, 06:24 AM
I guess we're just lucky Roughead is a cousin, not a brother then. ;)
I´m more confidant of Roughy making the grade than almost all of our other talls combined. Just something about his body-positioning at the ruck contests leads me to believe his AFL career is a matter of when not if.

Ozza
23-10-2009, 11:01 AM

We have some bad luck (or bad choices) in terms of brothers;

Ben Sexton
Pat Bowden
Sam Power
Jamie Grant (!!!)
Patrick Wiggins (not that his bro is a gun - but still a solid player)
Scott Bassett
Allen Jakovich (by the time we got him anyway)
Jade Rawlings (by the time we got him also!)

The Coon Dog
23-10-2009, 11:13 AM
We have some bad luck (or bad choices) in terms of brothers;

Ben Sexton
Pat Bowden
Sam Power
Jamie Grant (!!!)
Patrick Wiggins (not that his bro is a gun - but still a solid player)
Scott Bassett
Allen Jakovich (by the time we got him anyway)
Jade Rawlings (by the time we got him also!)

At least we got the good Dimmatina & Wynd.

Doc26
23-10-2009, 11:22 AM

Lets hope Andrejs ends up avoiding this list.

Ozza
23-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Who was Scott Wynd's brother? Surely not little Jimmy Wynd!!!!

True on Dimma, we also got the good Picken!

strebla
23-10-2009, 11:38 AM

I think from memory it was Paul Wynd he played at nth and Simon Atkins brother is also not on that list!!

Ozza
23-10-2009, 11:41 AM
I think from memory it was Paul Wynd he played at nth and Simon Atkins brother is also not on that list!!

I think it was Paul Atkins also - played 2 games for the swans.

The Coon Dog
23-10-2009, 11:48 AM

Paul Wynd played 3 games for North in 1997.

Doc26
23-10-2009, 12:45 PM
!

Very funny, certainly would've been clear who the runt of the litter was.

Happy Days
23-10-2009, 06:24 PM
we also got the good Picken!

We had the bad one too!