PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 18

GVGjr
28-07-2013, 06:27 PM
This is the round 18 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Murphy is smarter than 99% of footballers, easy to watch
Griffen is so consistently good it's just amazing
Lukey was magnificent, would have been involved in half our scoring shots

Real hard not find find a spot for Cooney and Libba, the five of them were outrageously good today.

Anchors
Jones did some good things but not enough, let himself down a couple of times
Our forward line really needs another dimension
Gia's kicking early on, so far away from what we expect

F'scary
28-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Bankers:

1. Liam Picken - for finally adjusting to playing a backman's role and doing well.
2. Tom Young - for giving us an escape clause time after time.
3. Kobe Stevens - for being better overhead than your average midfielder.

Anchors:

1. Boyd - poor disposals.
2. Addison - ditto.
3. Dickson - another low impact game. Lucky free kick was his main effort.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 07:46 PM
Bankers:

1. Mitch Wallis - Shows his value, he's much tougher than the average player, does the hard stuff.
2. Luke Dahlhaus - All of his attributes on show today, pace, agility, goal sense, never say die attitude.
3. Bob Murphy - Has played some decent football this year, but this his best for mine, wound back the clock with his silky skills.

Anchors:

No one deserves it this week

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Bankers:

1. Mitch Wallis - Shows his value, he's much tougher than the average player, does the hard stuff.

Cameron Ling was impressed with his toughness. That's a fair endorsement in itself.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Bankers:

Pups - our kids are very good
Grant - averaging 17 disposals, 6 marks, a goal and a couple of goal assists and inside 50's every game since coming back
Murphy - a consummate pro

Anchors: very tough, edit, this has taken me 15 minutes to do,

Addison - was ok, but all things equal, Stringer will have this spot in the team once he's established (maybe next week, maybe not)
Jones - second efforts are questionable, but his marking is sublime
Dickson - really tough call, maybe unfair..., I thought he was ok across HB, didn't do too much wrong, but long term he's not in the running IMO. A good depth player though, keeps his spot next week.

All said and done, this was the best team spread performance this year. Well done WBFC!

Ghost Dog
28-07-2013, 07:55 PM
My Bankers and Anchors are sponsored by the EaglesFlyingHigh footy forum

"Who the hell is on Dalehouse?" ( Sic ) - Pinion King.

1. Luke Dahlhaus. Find the right spots, will never give in, and is a good finisher.

"..the dogs tagger will move onto Gaff this half, and with the crowd behind them they'll run home stronger." Mead

2. The Crowd. Was very vocal and could see them getting stuck into Josh Hill and so on. Good work.

"Their midfield looks so good, clean, confident hands." Mepowly

3. Our coaches for patiently getting the skill level happening in a team that looked all thumbs a few weeks ago.

Anchors: Essendon Football Club. All Anchors seem feathers in comparison.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 08:02 PM
A bit surprised with some of the Dickson calls, I thought he was more banker than anchor today? Easily better than Addison and Jones. Kicked 3, could have been 4 due to some pretty good running.

soupman
28-07-2013, 08:09 PM
2. The Crowd. Was very vocal and could see them getting stuck into Josh Hill and so on. Good work.

Also saw Josh Hill respond to the crowd near the bench. Not sure he appreciated the attention.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Am I allowed 22 bankers?

No anchors today. Everybody played their role.

Hotdog60
A bit surprised with some of the Dickson calls, I thought he was more banker than anchor today? Easily better than Addison and Jones. Kicked 3, could have been 4 due to some pretty good running.

It's only Dickson's second year and most players go through the 2nd year blues.

Look for better input next year.

F'scary

You are correct. I was too harsh.

Scorlibo
28-07-2013, 08:16 PM
My Bankers and Anchors are sponsored by the EaglesFlyingHigh footy forum

:D Love it.

Bankers:

1. Macca and the other coaches. I've been a critic but to their credit they've made some changes to the team which I didn't think they were capable of making. Cooney's increased midfield time, Libba as the number one inside man over Boyd, Grant in the team and starting from full-forward. I've been on my soapbox pretty frequently about these things and it's pretty satisfying to see that the coaches aren't too proud to see that they might have got some things wrong.

2. The crowd. Echoing GD here, but the atmosphere from the Doggies end of the ground was electric especially when the lads needed some pep in the last quarter. Always love to see the fans cheering for the players' benefit, rather than just post-goal.

3. Jarrad Grant. That was the most well-rounded game I've seen him play. I think he has gained some physical presence, despite still looking skeleton-like. That contested mark beautiful and impacted a fair few more contests as well, while also burning his opponent on the lead a few times. I'm optimistic about his future.

Twodogs
28-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Also saw Josh Hill respond to the crowd near the bench. Not sure he appreciated the attention.

Saw that but Josh did walk away with a big smile on his face. It looked pretty tame in the end.

Remi Moses
28-07-2013, 08:27 PM
:D Love it.

Bankers:

1. Macca and the other coaches. I've been a critic but to their credit they've made some changes to the team which I didn't think they were capable of making. Cooney's increased midfield time, Libba as the number one inside man over Boyd, Grant in the team and starting from full-forward. I've been on my soapbox pretty frequently about these things and it's pretty satisfying to see that the coaches aren't too proud to see that they might have got some things wrong.

2. The crowd. Echoing GD here, but the atmosphere from the Doggies end of the ground was electric especially when the lads needed some pep in the last quarter. Always love to see the fans cheering for the players' benefit, rather than just post-goal.

3. Jarrad Grant. That was the most well-rounded game I've seen him play. I think he has gained some physical presence, despite still looking skeleton-like. That contested mark beautiful and impacted a fair few more contests as well, while also burning his opponent on the lead a few times. I'm optimistic about his future.

I'm with you on this. Thought Lachie Hunter was good . He was cramping up at the end, and at pick 49 or whatever a great bargain.

Remi Moses
28-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Hearing the coach before the game he stated Grant will play for the rest of the season, and said its all work rate with him.
Couldn't agree more, he's hugely talented and its time to work to save his career.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Must've been high while he was playing well because I didn't notice him as much, fair call he was good

always right
28-07-2013, 08:42 PM
B:
Grant.....our Stevie J when he's switched on
Dahlhaus......energised the team
Wallis......a really disciplined effort today

A:
Dickson......was okay today but still buggered up several opportunities. Sorry but I just don't see anything in this bloke
Gia.....was still a willing worker but his kicking was way off today

bornadog
28-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Played a better game than the last two and more of what is expected of him. Addison, gee 4 disposals in the second half, (11 total) just doesn't do enough. He needs to kick two a week to hold his spot.

Bankers

* Terrific game by Murphy. this guy is an absolute star, the way he twists and turns.

* Dahl - Loved his game and the crowd really loved him to.

* Wallis - His new role - the coach has this one right.

Anchors

* Some of the silly hand-balling and passing the ball to players under pressure and not hitting them on the chest

* Addison - see above.

* West Coast and dropping the knees to get around the neck, this is a blight on the game. The rule is there, ducking the head, its play on - UMPIRES PLEASE.

azabob
28-07-2013, 08:54 PM
Played a better game than the last two and more of what is expected of him. Addison, gee 4 disposals in the second half, (11 total) just doesn't do enough. He needs to kick two a week to hold .

So Addison should be right this week? ;)

boydogs
28-07-2013, 08:56 PM
3. Kobe Stevens - for being better overhead than your average midfielder.

That's a really good call. He helped us get out of defense a few times, which we have had trouble with

3. Dickson - another low impact game. Lucky free kick was his main effort.

I liked Dickson's game, he lacks the polish of a Higgins but was a good contributor.

Bankers
Robert Murphy working the ball out of defense
Koby Stevens providing a marking option
Tom Liberatore's contested work

Anchors
Kicking the ball to Liam Jones 2v1
Liam Jones allowing himself to be shepherded off the ball for the other bloke to take a clean grab
The umpires for not giving a free against the Eagles for doing it

bornadog
28-07-2013, 08:57 PM
So Addison should be right this week? ;)

The coach loves him so I suppose he will be. I don't care what anyone says on this board, but he has been very poor over the last three weeks.

F'scary
28-07-2013, 09:00 PM
That's a really good call. He helped us get out of defense a few times, which we have had trouble with

I liked Dickson's game, he lacks the polish of a Higgins but was a good contributor.

okay, okay - I was wrong about Dicko today.

westbulldog
28-07-2013, 09:13 PM
Dickson and Addison kicked 5.3 between them...they easily stay in for mine.

Bankers
The whole team for the effort today.

Anchors
Selwood the ducker.

G-Mo77
28-07-2013, 09:33 PM
No way Addison deserves an anchor. Not the perfect footballer but did what he was required to do, does a lot that goes unnoticed as well, kicked the sealer. Not a favourite from a few in here so gets an unfair microscope put on him.

Bankers
Dahlhaus: I reckon that's the best game I've seen him play.

Wallis: Found a role and is playing it well.

Grant's mark. Right near where I sit and was happy to see it all unfold

Anchors
Umpire #25 you are an absolute turd!

Umpire #33 so are you! You're as bad as an umpire than you were as a footballer.

Picky one, Dickson's shot on goal when Jones was by himself. Would have put it away.

always right
28-07-2013, 09:36 PM
No way Addison deserves an anchor. Not the perfect footballer but did what he was required to do, does a lot that goes unnoticed as well, kicked the sealer. Not a favourite from a few in here so gets an unfair microscope put on him.

Bankers

Anchors

Umpire #33 so are you! You're as bad as an umpire than you were as a footballer.

Picky one, Dickson's shot on goal when Jones was by himself. Would have put it away.

Reckon we were hard done by early but we definitely got the better of the umpiring in the second half. About time.

azabob
28-07-2013, 09:36 PM

I hear what you are saying but I have no drama with Dickson taking the shot. He'd kick it 99 times out of 100.

G-Mo77
28-07-2013, 09:41 PM
I hear what you are saying but I have no drama with Dickson taking the shot. He'd kick it 99 times out of 100.

Probably so, we had a similar one earlier in that quarter, think it was Dahlhaus to Grant. Jones was the better option IMO. Should have hit him.

Reckon we were hard done by early but we definitely got the better of the umpiring in the second half. About time.

Yeah thought we got a good run in the 2nd as well. #25 was a disgrace though. I'm just potting Fisher for carry over points from the week before.

ledge
28-07-2013, 09:52 PM
I love the way hunter just knows where to go, he oozes natural rare talent remember he is the second youngest kid in the AFL I was told .

SlimPickens
28-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Banker-
Grant- Going back with the flight and getting poleaxed. Didn't take the mark but resulted in a goal. Team mates went straight to him, it was fantastic team orientated footy.

Dahlhaus- Just outstanding today.

Dickson- I'm of the opinion that a lot of what he does goes un-noticed. Thought some of his defensive running and structuring up was instrumental in causing scoring opportunities. 3 Goals was a good return also.

Anchors-
No anchors today, very proud of the 22 that were out on the park.

bulldogtragic
28-07-2013, 10:02 PM
I love the way hunter just knows where to go, he oozes natural rare talent remember he is the second youngest kid in the AFL I was told .
Awesome addition to the team is LH.

jeemak
28-07-2013, 10:06 PM
Umpire number 25 had probably the worst quarter I've seen from anybody on a football field, players, umpires, water carriers and runners combined!

Anyway, we won so what's the point in umpire bashing!

Bankers:

Cooney - One or two skill errors cost us goals, but we're a much better side when this guy is up and running

Dahlhaus - BOG for mine. Loved that he kicked four during a game where he spent considerable time in the middle. Midfielders that kick goals are the best

Murphy - Be close to AA if playing for a better side

Anchors:

We won, I'll stay positive

whythelongface
28-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Well said. We know he isn't the most skilful but he does give us an option in the fwd line and he does go hard at the ball. Two goals is a good return.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 10:36 PM
Be thankful Umpire Nichols #15 wasn't out there. He has a pathological hatred of all things Bulldog for some reason.....

SonofScray
28-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Bankers:
1. Grant - did it all today. For a guy whose default is mercurial / lackadaisical, the team stuff and hard nosed work he is doing is brilliant. I love the bloke, but today I think he earned a lot of respect from more important people than me. Really enjoying watching his season come together.

2. Bob Murphy - he plays footy as easily as a hot knife moves through butter. Just a pleasure to watch. I wish he could play forever.

3. Cooney - giving us his best. It makes a massive difference.

Special mentions:
-The crowd was involved. When a "Bulldogs" chant gets up on the wing and is audible from L3, you know its a good day. Footy is more fun when we're up and about as a group.

-Dahl. Good haul.

Anchors:
1. Skills - foot skills are going to hold us back as a club unless we see marked improvement.
2. Gia - 1st poor game for a while but needs to kick better for goal.
3. WCE - ducking, diving, simulating malakas.

LostDoggy
28-07-2013, 10:46 PM
Bankers
Lukey D - BOG
Mitch - looked a lot more confident
Libba, Griff, Murph - same fantastic efforts every week
Dale - yelling at his team mates for not filling the space-u tell them Moz!
Jazza - smart footballer

No anchors- even the umpiring wasn't as bad as usual, bout time we got a fair go

Ghost Dog
29-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Bankers
Lukey D - BOG
Mitch - looked a lot more confident
Libba, Griff, Murph - same fantastic efforts every week
Dale - yelling at his team mates for not filling the space-u tell them Moz!
Jazza - smart footballer

No anchors- even the umpiring wasn't as bad as usual, bout time we got a fair go

Did you hear it Ted's R? I thought he was yelling at the skipper!:eek:

AndrewP6
29-07-2013, 12:12 AM

I think he was, but gave a spray to a couple of others too.

ratsmac
29-07-2013, 12:52 AM
BANKERS

1. Dal - he was in everything and never gave up

2 . Murphy - you just expect brilliance from this bloke and he rarely fails to amaze.

3. Morris/Roughead/Young - kept a formidable forward line relatively quiet.

ANCHORS

This is a hard one this week because I am proud of how the team played. He goes my nit picking.

1. Stevens - this is harsh because I thought he was good today but for the second week running he has been handballing to team mates in a worse position than he is and they are immediately tackled. He got better as the game wore on though

2. Gia - he is our best kick for goal but he was kicking helicopters today.

3. Minson - harsh again but his hands in a marking contest are made of wood. Big men need to hold marks.

Greystache
29-07-2013, 12:55 AM
Bankers

Dahlhaus- Was brilliant today, if he can finish like that regularly he could be absolutely elite.

Young- He adds a lot to our team. His composure is very noticeable.

Wallis- Really liked his blend of shut down and inside ball winning.

Anchors

None really, I thought everyone played their role today.

Eastdog
29-07-2013, 01:13 AM
Bankers

Griffen - Superstar

Murphy - Was really good. Someone who can show the youngsters how it is done

Crowd - Even though 17,000 came to watch us we made lots of noise to give a bit of atmosphere which was great to see. It was great singing the song at the end.

Anchors

Disposal efficiency is something we just need to get better on

Umpires - They don't change

Sedat
29-07-2013, 01:43 AM
Huge props to the match committee for the move of Wallis to a run-with role. He was sensational today. Kept Masten to 5 possessions before injury and then put the clamps big time on Priddis, who was a non-factor save for the last 5 minutes.

FrediKanoute
29-07-2013, 02:37 AM
Must've been high while he was playing well because I didn't notice him as much, fair call he was good

Not a definitive indicator, but he did rank 8 in DT points. 18 possessions, 5 Marks and 3 tackles.

Kicked 3 goals 2 as well

chef
29-07-2013, 07:10 AM

He was, which is fair enough as Boyd didn't try hard enough and fill the space which lead to a mark. Loved it, no one should be above the law.

bornadog
29-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Huge props to the match committee for the move of Wallis to a run-with role. He was sensational today. Kept Masten to 5 possessions before injury and then put the clamps big time on Priddis, who was a non-factor save for the last 5 minutes.

Does that make Lower redundant

LostDoggy
29-07-2013, 08:45 AM

Depth is a nice problem to have.

azabob
29-07-2013, 09:41 AM

Reality is Wallis only got the tagging role because Smith went down.

What does it mean for Wallis, Smith, Lower & Picken?

Mantis
29-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Crowd - Even though 17,000 came to watch us we made lots of noise to give a bit of atmosphere which was great to see. It was great singing the song at the end.

Horribly dissappointing crowd... This really needs to improve if we are to remain viable.

Eastdog
29-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Horribly dissappointing crowd... This really needs to improve if we are to remain viable.

As Mofra in another thread said we lose out revenue wise due to low crowds but over 30,000 would probably earn us more that the current deal.

Sedat
29-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Reality is Wallis only got the tagging role because Smith went down.

What does it mean for Wallis, Smith, Lower & Picken?
Only Picken at his absolute stingiest could keep oppositions mids down to such a minimal impact as Wallis did yesterday. Masten has been flying most of the season and was completely shut out. Ditto Priddis. On yesterday's performance, Wallis has the position for the rest of the season and that means no place for Lower for the time being.

It goes up a few notches next week - does he take Jack or Hanneberry? Both are in AA form at the moment.

Ozza
29-07-2013, 11:27 AM
Only Picken at his absolute stingiest could keep oppositions mids down to such a minimal impact as Wallis did yesterday. Masten has been flying most of the season and was completely shut out. Ditto Priddis. On yesterday's performance, Wallis has the position for the rest of the season and that means no place for Lower for the time being.

It goes up a few notches next week - does he take Jack or Hanneberry? Both are in AA form at the moment.

Or Kennedy.....or Ryan O'Keefe. :eek:

Ozza
29-07-2013, 11:37 AM
As with some others - I won't put any anchors in - every player contributed.

Agree with many or all of the Bankers listed....but a few left of centre bankers...

- Matthew Boyd's last quarter - although he wasn't having his best day - we were out on our feet in the last 10 minutes, and Boyd got a stack of the footy and just kept it going our way. A lot of leadership in his final burst, using his ability to run out a game. Will Minson in that bracket too.

- Adam Cooney's goal in the second quarter - when we had been missing shots and didn't have momentum, he burst through and kicked one which swung the game our way.

- Lachie Hunter's 2nd & 3rd quarters - involved in some nice pieces of play, used Dahlhaus well a couple of times when Dahl was on fire.

LostDoggy
29-07-2013, 12:12 PM
Bankers

Griffen - Superstar

Murphy - Was really good. Someone who can show the youngsters how it is done

Anchors

Disposal efficiency is something we just need to get better on

Umpires - They don't change
Thought we got the better of the umpire for a change

LostDoggy
29-07-2013, 01:39 PM
Jones just needs to be smarter...Was outnumbered all day and tried hard, but there's just certain things he does which make you shake your head..

There was 2 occasions where we had the ball on our half back line, We needed Jones to present and create a contest so we could atleast get a boundary throw in, but he run straight off the ground. I'm not sure if he was told to or not, but it was just plain dumb.

kruder
29-07-2013, 05:15 PM
Bankers

Libba the definition of two way football with 7 rebound 50s 12 tackles and 4 inside 50s and above 70% efficiency. He is a blueprint midfielder who plays the right way and along with Griff it felt like we had borrowed a few swan midfielders.

Dahl had forgotten what made him such an effective player last few years and its pure effort. He had been building over the last few weeks and looked like he was running on top or the ground again in what was near a perfect game.

Grant is suited to the modern game more of the same dude!! Just felt happy for him.

Anchors

Handballing to a stationary player after taking a mark. We always seem to find a way to put the next possession under further pressure.

GVGjr
29-07-2013, 07:54 PM

It's a good question. I'm guessing we need to use him in another role more frequently.

Young Wallis has surprised me with his ability to shut down players and still get possessions.

Doc26
29-07-2013, 08:17 PM

An extension of this and of greater concern is the number of growing vacant seats in the members reserve seating area. Specifically I refer to mid ground level 1 on the Docklands side although I suspect this is across the board. The challenge for us will be to get these reasonably significant paid up supporters to rejoin in 2014.

Lowey33
29-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Bankers

Anchors

I actually reckon umpire 33( fisher) umpires like a footballer would umpire a game. Knows the difference between a deliberate out of bounds, and a kick too advantage. He also wasn't sucked into the ducking/knee drops that hams and sell wood are the best at. He seems to have a handle on what players and supporters want to see. Few of his mates could take notice!

Eastdog
29-07-2013, 08:21 PM
An extension of this and of greater concern is the number of growing vacant seats in the members reserve seating area. Specifically I refer to mid ground level 1 on the Docklands side although I suspect this is across the board. The challenge for us will be to get these reasonably significant paid up supporters to rejoin in 2014.

But there are some supporters Doc26 that are members who are non game day (interested to know the figure) but your right we have a lot more game day that aren't there evidence from the vacant seats.

always right
29-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Bankers:
Big Brother is back on TV and one of the contestants is a fanatical bulldogs fan

Anchors:
Big Brother is back on TV.

SlimPickens
29-07-2013, 08:48 PM
But there are some supporters Doc26 that are members who are non game day (interested to know the figure) but your right we have a lot more game day that aren't there evidence from the vacant seats.

Che'?

ratsmac
29-07-2013, 10:22 PM
Bankers:
Big Brother is back on TV and one of the contestants is a fanatical bulldogs fan

Anchors:
Big Brother is back on TV.

Lol. Nice post!

That fanatic would have to be Nick Lower wouldn't it. No wonder he can't get a game, he's on big brother!

AndrewP6
29-07-2013, 10:24 PM
Lol. Nice post!

That fanatic would have to be Nick Lower wouldn't it. No wonder he can't get a game, he's on big brother!

Xavier is the Bulldog fan, but Ed Lower is also in the house.

ratsmac
29-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Is that really Ed Lower? No wonder he looked a lot like Nick. I thought the likeness was uncanny.

AndrewP6
29-07-2013, 10:39 PM
Is that really Ed Lower? No wonder he looked a lot like Nick. I thought the likeness was uncanny.

Yep, sure is.

whythelongface
29-07-2013, 10:44 PM
Bankers:

Tom Young - really impressed with Young. He reads the play well, has poise with the ball and (generally) has a good passing game;

Jarrad Grant - finally showing his potential. Like what we are starting to see in him, let's hope that he can bring this to the table every week. He certainly provides us with the X-factor when he is on song;

Mitch Wallis - really like the match committee's decision to have him play as a shut down player. Killed both Masten and Priddis, yet was still able to get his hands on the pill.

No Anchors.

Remi Moses
30-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Late Anchor - people watching that mindless try hard celebrity look at me reality television

AndrewP6
30-07-2013, 01:34 AM
Late Anchor - people watching that mindless try hard celebrity look at me reality television

There's nothing wrong with a bit of mindlessness now and then.

Eastdog
30-07-2013, 01:41 AM

Reality tv certainly is more popular today than it was in the past - when sitcoms were popular. Anyways will leave this type of discussion for the Music and Entertainment thread.

Remi Moses
30-07-2013, 02:58 AM
There's nothing wrong with a bit of mindlessness now and then.

Problem is the mindlessness TV is everywhere.
Cheap and nasty

LostDoggy
30-07-2013, 07:53 AM
Banker moments:

Grants' selfless backing into the pack

Wallis' 100% focus on hard-running with Priddis that he may have missed JJK coming the other way.

Dal. Little man with a Phar Lap heart.

Anchors

Koby, you've got to have your vision and disposal turned on from the first bounce.

Goal kicking, missed quite a few.

EasternWest
30-07-2013, 12:58 PM

I mentioned this elsewhere, but I cancelled my gold reserve seat some years back because at every game, I was seated ten rows behind opposition supporters who got better seats than me.

I refuse to pay top dollar and receive second rate, and until.the club does something about it (and I did speak to them about it), I'll only be a GA member.

Bankers

Grant running with the flight.

Boyd, on the bench with Grant immediately after that incident, speaking to Grant. You could tell by the intensity of his body language how much he was pumping him up. It was great to see.

I'm just a big fan of Tom Young.

Anchors

We still work too hard for our goals, but at least we keep working hard.

Minson's stone hands.

Eastdog
30-07-2013, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=EasternWest;337278]I mentioned this elsewhere, but I cancelled my gold reserve seat some years back because at every game, I was seated ten rows behind opposition supporters who got better seats than me.

I refuse to pay top dollar and receive second rate, and until.the club does something about it (and I did speak to them about it), I'll only be a GA member.

I have a silver reserve seat on Level 1 and that area is pretty much all Bulldogs fans apart from a few that aren't. Is GA a mix or mainly Dogs fans.

EasternWest
30-07-2013, 01:18 PM
[QUOTE=EasternWest;337278]I mentioned this elsewhere, but I cancelled my gold reserve seat some years back because at every game, I was seated ten rows behind opposition supporters who got better seats than me.

I have a silver reserve seat on Level 1 and that area is pretty much all Bulldogs fans apart from a few that aren't. Is GA a mix or mainly Dogs fans.

GA is just general admission mate. Sorry, I was just being lazy.

Doc26
30-07-2013, 01:31 PM
I mentioned this elsewhere, but I cancelled my gold reserve seat some years back because at every game, I was seated ten rows behind opposition supporters who got better seats than me.

And is the same for our group today, that is, us paid up reserve members on level 1, midfieldish, are lobbed behind about 10-15 rows of what always appears the away team supporters who no doubt have got the prime seating allocation. Go figure.:confused: It is a very odd arrangement that we have that is just an extension of the raw deal we have at Etihad as a whole.

LostDoggy
30-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Maybe this needs to move to its own thread, but I'm actually quite pleased that I sit behind heaps of opposition fans. But then, I got my kicks as a kid cheering behind the Collingwood cheer squad at Victoria Park.

The opposition fans no doubt regret their seating allocation once Schnook and I ramp up.

Bulldog4life
30-07-2013, 05:38 PM
Maybe this needs to move to its own thread, but I'm actually quite pleased that I sit behind heaps of opposition fans. But then, I got my kicks as a kid cheering behind the Collingwood cheer squad at Victoria Park.

The opposition fans no doubt regret their seating allocation once Schnook and I ramp up.

I like that BornAScragger. Making those opposition supporters feel uncomfortable in "our" area might make more of them avoid that area next time.:D

EasternWest
30-07-2013, 07:00 PM
Maybe this needs to move to its own thread, but I'm actually quite pleased that I sit behind heaps of opposition fans. But then.

That's not my point.

I paid good money for a good seat (granted, it was pretty good, bit could've been better), why shwould walk ups have the chance to get better seats?

Eastdog
30-07-2013, 08:40 PM
That's not my point.

I paid good money for a good seat (granted, it was pretty good, bit could've been better), why shwould walk ups have the chance to get better seats?

It's a shame Etihad doesn't have GA on Level 1.

azabob
30-07-2013, 08:47 PM

Nah ED- what the shame is we can't sell enough tickets to fill level one.

Doc26
30-07-2013, 08:51 PM

To EasternWest's point, not when chunks of Bulldogs members reserve seating are being asked to pay a premium price to sit in the back blocks of level 1 in favour of away team supporters in what appears some form of arrangement struck with Etihad and away teams.

Doesn't help when decent chunks of our reserve members are allocated seats / rows of lesser quality to away team supporters on level 1 for every one of our home games. No, just shove our valued reserve members in the back 7 or 8 rows and hope that they might just enjoy the experience to return again next year. I'm with EasternWest on this one. We need a more powerful voice on this. An Eddie Maguire would never accept it if this was how his reserve members were being treated in favour of preferential seating for away team supporters.

What at the start of the season was a well populated 7 or 8 rows of our reserve members has dwindled now to not much more than about 7 of us die-hards. May I suggest that those negotiating such deals come down from out of their corporate lunches and experience it first hand, to gain some qualitative insight as to further reasons beyond onfield performance why support may be dwindling. Try getting all those others back on board again and then wonder in our 2014 recruitment drive where all our missing members from last year have all gone.

Eastdog
30-07-2013, 08:52 PM

We struggle to fill the stadium that's for sure.

G-Mo77
30-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Onto the Membership seats. Where abouts where or are you guys sitting. I'm on the wing L1 and it's Bulldogs from front to back.

Doc26
30-07-2013, 09:55 PM
Onto the Membership seats. Where abouts where or are you guys sitting. I'm on the wing L1 and it's Bulldogs from front to back.

Aisle 16 L1, which is on the flank, in front of the Social Club and it's front 3/4 qtrs away team and back Bulldogs, although to be correct now about 7 of us :rolleyes:. At least we have ample leg room and unobstructed views.

G-Mo77
30-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Aisle 16 L1, which is on the flank, in front of the Social Club and it's all front away team and back Bulldogs, although to be correct now about 7 of us :rolleyes:.

Yeah it's disappointing.

Just request to be moved. Wing seats are the best IMO, I'm in Aisle 36 and I love it. There should be plenty available in that area.

Doc26
30-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah it's disappointing.

Just request to be moved. Wing seats are the best IMO, I'm in Aisle 36 and I love it. There should be plenty available in that area.

I took this shot from my seat a few weeks back at one of our home games as the game was about to start. Fortunately there were also few away team supporters at this one to further frustrate the experience. A little embarrassed (and soft) but I couldn't find the strength to go to our home game against Essendon a few weeks ago as their supporters are simply in another league of their own in idiocracy stakes and I would've found myself again in the thick of it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/6766/imagewjii.jpg

Bulldog4life
31-07-2013, 01:59 PM
I took this shot from my seat a few weeks back at one of our home games as the game was about to start. Fortunately there were also few away team supporters at this one to further frustrate the experience. A little embarrassed (and soft) but I couldn't find the strength to go to our home game against Essendon a few weeks ago as their supporters are simply in another league of their own in idiocracy stakes and I would've found myself again in the thick of it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/6766/imagewjii.jpg

With all those empty seats in front of you Doc couldn't you just wander down at quarter time to get a better vantage point?

LostDoggy
31-07-2013, 02:05 PM
Yeah it's disappointing.

We are Level 1, Aisle 30 and so sick of being surrounded by opposition supporters! We actually spent half time walking around and writing down what Aisle numbers we thought would be decent with the intention of asking to be changed next year.

Today got a letter from the doggies asking if we would like to move to somewhere between aisle 35 and 39, as this was in the area we had selected, rang straight away and now have seats for next year in aisle 39. 1300 46 36 47

(The areas we thought would be o.k where Level one, aisles 32-39 and aisles 17-18)

LostDoggy
31-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Come to Level 2, Aisle 29. Plenty of passionate Dogs fans around, and plenty of free seats.

Go_Dogs
31-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I couldn't find the strength to go to our home game against Essendon a few weeks ago as their supporters are simply in another league of their own in idiocracy stakes and I would've found myself again in the thick of it.

Apologies for continuing to take the thread off course, but I had to comment on this part.

I was unfortunate enough to end up in front of a family of Essendon supporters who had three young sons with them (I guessed ranging from about 16-10 years old) and they thought it was hilarious the youngest continually kicked the back of my seat for 3 quarters. I had surgery on my back in January so didn't really appreciate it at all - but being the polite, Bulldogs man that I am took it gracefully and didn't react apart from the odd turn around until the 3/4 time break when I well and truly had enough and stood up, turned around and gave the parents my worst dead pan face. The kicking was suddenly no longer acceptable and I enjoyed (somewhat!) the final stanza without continually being booted in the back. My view was it simply summarised the Essendon breed - selfish and obnoxious. I actually felt sorry for the poor kids in being led into such a predicament. :D

Based on the commentary in this thread it appears there is still a bit of work to be done by the Club to ensure a more enjoyable match day experience for fans - hopefully it's something they are aware of and can implement a few things to assist in season 2014.

Hotdog60
31-07-2013, 10:08 PM
Apologies for continuing to take the thread off course, but I had to comment on this part.

I was unfortunate enough to end up in front of a family of Essendon supporters who had three young sons with them (I guessed ranging from about 16-10 years old) and they thought it was hilarious the youngest continually kicked the back of my seat for 3 quarters. I had surgery on my back in January so didn't really appreciate it at all - but being the polite, Bulldogs man that I am took it gracefully and didn't react apart from the odd turn around until the 3/4 time break when I well and truly had enough and stood up, turned around and gave the parents my worst dead pan face. The kicking was suddenly no longer acceptable and I enjoyed (somewhat!) the final stanza without continually being booted in the back. My view was it simply summarised the Essendon breed - selfish and obnoxious. I actually felt sorry for the poor kids in being led into such a predicament. :D

Based on the commentary in this thread it appears there is still a bit of work to be done by the Club to ensure a more enjoyable match day experience for fans - hopefully it's something they are aware of and can implement a few things to assist in season 2014.

You did very well to last until the end of the 3rd quarter. I would have politely requested that the kid stop after the 2nd or 3rd kick and told the parent about the surgery.

LostDoggy
01-08-2013, 12:02 AM
I don't really want a football experience where fans are segregated. It's one of the greatest things about our game, that we can sit side by side. At the end of the match, shake hands and be a good sport.

wimberga
01-08-2013, 12:27 AM

This reminds me of a good story Griff - sorry that you had to go through that annoying pain for 3 quarters though.

My mother is a collingwood supporter and when I was quite young we went to a pies vs someone game. We had decent enough seats but behind us we had some teenagers who were throwing out some absolutely horrible language. I was too young to know too much, but my understanding upon being retold the story was that it was the kind of thing you don't want your mother having to hear! So Mum being the trooper she is stood up, turned around and said to the four teenagers "Look, I am here with my son and daughter to enjoy the game. Are you going to be using language like that for the entire time we are here? Because if you are, we are going to have to move". Apparently the four teenagers immediately mumbled their apologies and were quiet for the rest of the game.

Mum being mum then turned around to them at the final siren and gave them each a little chocolate bar for being well behaved!

SonofScray
01-08-2013, 01:45 AM
I don't really want a football experience where fans are segregated. It's one of the greatest things about our game, that we can sit side by side. At the end of the match, shake hands and be a good sport.

Not me. I want footy fans segregated, creates a better atmosphere as you become more a part of your tribe and aren't necessarily held accountable for irrational, fanatical behaviour. Moronic fans of your own kin are easier to accept than the other mobs.

I have a really short fuse when it comes to banter and am a very poor sport so it doesn't take much for the presence of dickhead Essendon/North/Carlton/Pies fans to get me riled up. Beyond wishing that we had more Doggies around us, I am usually hoping the other mob choke and die in their seats.

If they aren't there, I'm a much more normal, friendly fan.

Remi Moses
01-08-2013, 05:11 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing that either.
In particular against the feral element the big clubs have in spades.

LostDoggy
01-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Not me. I want footy fans segregated, creates a better atmosphere as you become more a part of your tribe and aren't necessarily held accountable for irrational, fanatical behaviour. Moronic fans of your own kin are easier to accept than the other mobs.

I have a really short fuse when it comes to banter and am a very poor sport so it doesn't take much for the presence of dickhead Essendon/North/Carlton/Pies fans to get me riled up. Beyond wishing that we had more Doggies around us, I am usually hoping the other mob choke and die in their seats.

If they aren't there, I'm a much more normal, friendly fan.

Perhaps the answer is a designated area for each club, made up of only its fans. The rest of us can sit amongst each other.

I go right off. I'm sure I piss a lot of people off, especially the opposition. I've had many people complain to me. I don't swear, I don't misbehave, I'm just bloody loud. I'm a big bloke with a big booming voice and I use it. And it drives opposition fans bananas.

But I'm also a pretty good sport, and I drive that message pretty hard to my daughter as well. At the end of the match, win or lose we clap both teams, shake hands with anybody I pissed off (which sometimes backfires) and generally try to acknowledge that it's a game. If anything, it's yet another way we can show opposition fans that we're better than they are, so if they're particularly feral — like West Coast — it's even better.

1eyedog
01-08-2013, 11:52 AM

That is frankly appalling Griff, surely as a paying member of the football club and as a human being you have every right to demand that your seat be sacrosanct.

I like having opposition supporters around generally - especially when we are winning. There are not a lot of supporters that can sit amongst each other in world sport - certainly not in the world game anyway.

I went to a Pies vs Bulldogs game at the MCG a few years ago with a Danish mate and he staretd freaking out when I sat down in my colours (jacket and hat) amongst a horde of black and white. He mentioned to me upon leaving that he was very surprised that the Magipie supporters were so respectful, even telling him that they all had a soft spot for the Doggies and that was at half time when the game was in the balance.

G-Mo77
01-08-2013, 07:03 PM

That's what General admittance is for, members area is a different story.

Twodogs
02-08-2013, 12:20 AM
Does anyone else here prefer to stand at Etihad?

Ghost Dog
02-08-2013, 12:42 AM
Does anyone else here prefer to stand at Etihad?

Yeah I don't mind it at all. It's actually fairly close to the boundary. Better for my back. I sit down too much anyway, being besotted with woof.net :D

Twodogs
02-08-2013, 11:49 AM
Yeah I don't mind it at all. It's actually fairly close to the boundary. Better for my back. I sit down too much anyway, being besotted with woof.net :D

I quite like the view from the standing area behind the seats on L1. If I go with my dad (he doesnt have the stamina to stand through a game anymore) we sit up on L3 but if I go by myself then I'll usually stand behind bay 31. I know the guys I have been going to the footy with since the early '80s will be there and opposition supporters will be sitting in front of us for taunting purposes.

jeemak
02-08-2013, 01:30 PM
I quite like the view from the standing area behind the seats on L1. If I go with my dad (he doesnt have the stamina to stand through a game anymore) we sit up on L3 but if I go by myself then I'll usually stand behind bay 31. I know the guys I have been going to the footy with since the early '80s will be there and opposition supporters will be sitting in front of us for taunting purposes.

I generally stand at 37. Can be a bit cold due to the wind coming through the entrance there, but not an issue if you rug up.

Prefer to be mobile at the footy, to get away from folk or give them a break from me!