PDA

View Full Version : Build a Dogs forward line for 2008

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 03:04 PM
Happy we didn't do anything silly today, unhappy we're still left with what's below.

Your choice:

Small to mid sized forwards

Johnno, Acker, Higgins, Gia, Murphy, Hahn

Tall forwards

Tiller, Skipper, Wight

Hm......

bornadog
12-10-2007, 05:44 PM
Happy we didn't do anything silly today, unhappy we're still left with what's below.

Your choice:

Small to mid sized forwards

Johnno, Acker, Higgins, Gia, Murphy, Hahn

Tall forwards

Tiller, Skipper, Wight

Hm......

Just heard on SEN, Eade said they looked at Damon White and McGregor plus one other but it didn't work out. He mentioned Minson was recruited as a Forward and they are going to work on him.

The above three also all have potential in the forward line. Wight will be interesting, as I am not sure what they will do with him?

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 06:08 PM
Im not a big fan of playing a new recuit from round 1 but what other option do we have? If we go with a tall it could be an option.

As it stands i would go with:

Aker Murphy Higgins
Hahn Johnson/Tiller Johnson/Tiller

Not bad but no real improvement on last years structure. I hope the coaching staff (whats left of them) have a couple of tricks up their sleeves.

Any word on weather we will pick up Walsh on the rookie list?

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 06:43 PM
Aker Johnson Higgins
Hahn Minson Murphy

Id go with that for now.

Boy itd be good to pick up Brennan though ;) maybe his old mate Aker will lure him to us

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:10 PM
Aker Johnson Higgins
Hahn Minson Murphy

Id go with that for now.

Boy itd be good to pick up Brennan though ;) maybe his old mate Aker will lure him to us

We dont have any say where he ends up. His preference could be with us but Richmond, Carlton and Melbourne all have first say in the PSD before he comes to us. I dont see it happening.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Richmond will get him..........and if that doesnt just increase the hate!

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:19 PM
And i'd go your forward line Alexxx, but if Doogs get into some form who knows, might even throw him in there!

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 07:21 PM
Between Tiller, Minson, Harris, McDougall, Skipper, Wight, hopefully we can find one tall forward. Tiller has been the most impressive in the role to date. Eade stating that he wants to try Minson as a forward is another positive, and perhaps Harris could also be trialled in the role over summer.

The fact that he has came out and said that he wants game plan stuff happening in early December means clearly some big changes are going to be made, perhaps not so much with the game plan itself, but with certain peoples roles in the game plan, and introducing it more to the younger kids to the ins and outs.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Why would you change the role of the player who just won our B&F?!
he mightn't be great as a forward, which would leave us with a so-so backline, and a so-so forward line, as opposed to a half decent backline, and a so-so forward line?

I just dont think trying Harris up there is neccessary, with Tiller, Skipper, Minson, McDougall and Wight all aiming for the Forward line........
its not worth sacrificing our defence for

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 07:53 PM
Has Minson ever shown any qualities of a forward eg leading and marking?

The Coon Dog
12-10-2007, 08:06 PM

In a word, no.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 08:06 PM
He's taken a few on the lead, he's nothing outstanding, but he has gone forward at times and snagged a goal.

He needs a lot of work in the position, but no reason why he can't learn. He is a bright lad.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 08:22 PM

Only thing i can remember is when he took a strong contested mark against Freo this year in Darwin and went on to miss it. It was a crucial kick aswell IIRC, it would have put us in front.

Thats one for his carrer. Good forward take them regularly every match.

Minson in the forward line is not our answer in afraid.

dog town
12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Round 11 in 2005 he spent time forward against the hawks and I thought he looked reasonable. Have not seen him spend much time forward since then and when he has he looks a bit lost.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 09:05 PM
He broke his leg at FF.

Raw Toast
12-10-2007, 10:40 PM
I still hold some hopes for Minson as a forward. He's got a decent leap when his body is ok and his contested marking improved a bit during the year (and I reckon can improve quite a bit more, there's certainly room for improvement).

Depends a bit on our game-plan and the role he's asked to play imo. He has looked a bit lost before and apparently doesn't have much sense of where to run, but he's v keen to learn and if given a fairly simple role to begin with could be ok. His skills when the ball hits the ground are quite good (he gave off a great handpass in a flash earlier this year after cleanly gathering a half-volley at some pace). He'd also be able to put the fear of dog into a few defenders as well.

Dogs 24/7
12-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I still hold some hopes for Minson as a forward. He's got a decent leap when his body is ok and his contested marking improved a bit during the year (and I reckon can improve quite a bit more, there's certainly room for improvement).

I hope you are right but from what I have seen he is a poor mark for someone his size.If the ball hits the ground opposition teams will run the ball out quickly as well.
As you say he has plently of improvement that hopefully the coaches can extract.I have my doubts tho.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 11:09 PM
It's worth having a crack at!
Did he play FF or CHF much at Werribee this year? I cant think of where he played :S

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 12:51 AM
He's taken a few on the lead, he's nothing outstanding, but he has gone forward at times and snagged a goal.

He needs a lot of work in the position, but no reason why he can't learn. He is a bright lad.

Yes, he's probably one of our smartest players in a general sense.

bornadog
13-10-2007, 01:11 AM
Yes, he's probably one of our smartest players in a general sense.

and has some aggression which we lack in the forward line ( and every where else.) If he can control the aggression then he could work out. If I was a small forward I would be hanging around his feet.

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2007, 04:45 PM
Very much a forward who will need time to develop

I believe his kicking for goal has improved enormously since he came to the club. If he can get his body right and get really fit, he should be able to find a bit of it in the air.

Scorlibo
16-10-2007, 08:40 PM

In a game against the Blues in 2006 the scores were level at three quarter time and Minson came out and kicked 3 goals as a leading forward to set up the win, so there is potential there.