PDA

View Full Version : Round 19 Dogs v Swans match preview and discussion

Dry Rot
02-08-2013, 12:32 AM
Last weekend, Gerard Healy gave an interesting quote during the Swans and Tigers game. It went something like the Swans are giving the Tigers an audit and they are not faring well. This week, it's our turn for a Swans audit.

As you may know, I live in Sydney and therefore have the absolute pleasure of having each and every Giants and Swans game on free to air TV and so I get to see a fair bit of the Swans and not much of the Bulldogs. Hopefully most of you know a lot about our team so I suppose this game review will have a bit of a focus on the Swans.

Last time they met

Round 21 2012

Western Bulldogs 6.2 8.3 11.5 13.7 85
Sydney Swans 3.2 10.5 16.9 26.11 167

So we were competitive for half the game, Griff was a star IIRC and then the wheels fell off in the 2nd half for yet another one of our blowout losses. Having 17 goals scored on you in two quarters is both embarrassing and indicative of the strike power of the Swans when they put the foot down.

The medical room

World-renowned sports physician Dr Rot visited both clubs and this is what he found

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Player Injury Estimated Return
Brett Goodes Broken arm Season
Shaun Higgins Foot Season
Jason Johannisen Shoulder Season
Josh Prudden Ankle Test
Jack Redpath Knee Test
Clay Smith Knee Season
Tom Williams Shoulder Season

Dr Rot notes that the ever reliable afl.com.au site missed an ankle injury for Jones, and a calf for Boyd. These two plus Smith and Goodes are big outs for us – Smith would have loved this game.

SYDNEY SWANS
Player Injury Estimated Return
Adam Goodes Knee 2-3 weeks
Lewis Jetta Shin 2-3 weeks
Alex Johnson Knee Season
Nick Malceski Shoulder Test
Harrison Marsh Hamstring 1 week
Ben McGlynn Hamstring 1-2 weeks
Sam Naismith Knee 1-2 weeks
Sam Reid Quad 3-5 weeks
Lewis Roberts-Thomson Knee Indefinite
Tommy Walsh Hamstring Season

On the Swans side, they are missing Goodes, Jetta, LRT, Mattner, Reid and McGlynn from their finals sides from last year. That’s most of their forward line – so they must be stuffed?

The Walking Dead

The Swans finals chances should be dead if you look at their injury list above. If I told you at the start of the season we would be facing this team missing these players you’d be thinking two things: firstly, they would be struggling to make the eight without most of their forward line line and zippy players like Jetta and McGlynn. Secondly, you would fancy our chances this round.

But like the zombies in Atlanta, it seems you just can't kill off these guys. Yes, they recruited Tippett but who would have thought that Jesse White and a bloke who played rugby union in Canada would form a nasty trio of good tall targets. Indeed, this is working so well that their finals chances are very much alive and many of their injured players will struggle to get back into the forward line.

Selected teams

You'll find them here–I couldn't be bothered spending an hour tried to reformat that.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/teams.workstation

Sydney is roughly the same as last week with the addition of Shaw. The big news is our loss of Boyd and Jones and an extended interchange from which the final team is not easy to pick.

You know the team lists and positions often don't reflect game day reality, now list has Roughead going forward and a short backline, which could be boosted by Austen or Roughead playing back. We can live without Boyd covering Jones’ role will be interesting.

Their forwards, our backs

When Mumford plays in the ruck and Pike goes forward we will be facing a trio of talls, and 2 of them are really tall. While Morris is our best defender I'm not sure how he will go against Tippett or Pyke. It seems to me that Roughie must play back. We also need a competent defender playing on Bolton who is kind of our Gia and still playing well. This is one game we really need to get our kicking out of defence really right. Not only are the Swans well-organised but their gut running mids will be up there making us pay for our mistakes. The striking thing for me is don't underestimate Pyke as a forward.

Our forwards, their backs

This is one game perhaps in a sense of where we won't really miss Jones as Grundy would easily sort him out. I don't like the idea of Austin playing forward and the Swans are probably the last team we should be giving Campbell a trial against. To have any hope of scoring against the Swans I think we will need to roll the dice and say Stringer this is your time. I think we will have better chances with players like Grant, Dahl and Stringer who may offer something a bit different. The Swans defence is among the best if not the best in the league and this is one side which will just eat up bad delivery and just bombing into a forward line. We need to do a lot better with our delivery.

The battle of the Mids

As I was writing the 2 paragraphs above I thought we didn't have a hope but here is one area where we can definitely be competitive as we showed last year. But this is the Swans strength too, and while we can win contested ball against most teams these guys will test us.

For a top 3 side there is a strange non-star quality about their midfielders. Aside from Goodes, they are never mentioned as a chance for the Brownlow and when the elite are discussed like Ablett, Pendlebury, Murphy Griff etc. the Swans are not mentioned. It's also hard to classify them as inside or outside because they do both along with serious gut running. They spread well, generally have good decision making and have at least competent disposal. And for what is often regarded as a dour lot, players like O’Keefe, Kennedy, Hannebery McVeigh Bird and Jack know how to kick a goal. I think we can match them in the contested footy, but not the next few steps. And they are so even, the midfield match=ups are not obvious to me.

Ruck versus ruck

Minson is having a splendid year but is pretty much on his own, now Jones can’t help in him out. Dunno if Campbell is the answer. Neither Mumford nor Pyke seemed to be discussed among the better ruckmen in the comp but both are confident, pretty mobile around the ground and unlike Will are very good tall forwards, especially Pyke. With Will tiring, I think we'll have a difficult time on Sunday.

The playground

We are justifiably optimistic about many of our young players, but for a team who so rarely gets good draft picks, Rampe, Smith, Mitchell and Parker also all look like having a good future.

The verdict

On the Swans side, they are still probably pissed off that Port rolled them and they will be onto Griff. The cats out of the bag about our late season improvement and they will be prepared.

For us, when a bottom team plays a top team, it’s a sporting cliché to say that the bottom team must do everything right to win. Well, it’s right for us. For us to get close, we must be on top of our contested game, display the best disposal up and down the ground we’ve seen this year and players like Dahl, Stringer Grant fire. And do it for four quarters.

I’m sorry, I don’t think we will. Like last year, IMO it will be close for 2 quarters and then they’ll just be too good.

Swans by 8 goals+

Hotdog60
02-08-2013, 08:21 AM
Thanks Dry Rot, I think you have summed it up very well.
The Swan's forward line with their talls will stretch us I think and the strategy may just be to bomb it long and the marking players will do the rest.
We will have trouble stopping them because of their height so it all comes down to the middle. We have to take our fair share of inside fifties and make the most of it.
Grant, Stringer and the rest of the forwards need to take their chances.

Bulldog Revolution
02-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Nice one DR

I think you've summed it up well - great test for our forward line against their back line. Incredibly underrated midfield, with Jack, Hanneberry and Kennedy now all genuine stars.

Last time we played their ability to set the game up off half back, and on the slingshot/fastbreak from their backline was the difference. We tried hard but lacked the system, and then they'd flick it over to Jetta and co in space who sliced us up.

bornadog
02-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Thanks DR you have summed it up well . I really cant see us winning ths but hopefully we will at least be competitive.

firstdogonthemoon
02-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Thanks DR - and thanks to everyone else who contributes these each week - I really appreciate them. These are always a far more concise and readable assessment of each game than I can find anywhere in the media.

stefoid
02-08-2013, 01:53 PM
you have a nice turn of phrase

Greystache
02-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Good job Dry Rot.

Looking forward to this week, another strong showing will confirm we really have improved.

LostDoggy
02-08-2013, 02:07 PM
Nice work, DR, better summary than you get anywhere else! But I do have to comment on the Swan's midfield. O’Keefe, Kennedy, Hanneberry, McVeigh, Bird and Jack may not have any Brownlows, but it is a sensational midfield and not underestimated by any of the Swan's opponents. It is a tough and skilful engine room that is going to give our boys a thing or two to think about. I wish Boydy and Clay were fit for this one, but Libber, Mitch and Griff are hard enough nuts to keep them honest.

Bulldog Joe
02-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Good write up.

I normally feel some optimism about our chances and was extremely confident last week. Just can't see it this week.

If Sydney come to play, we will do very well just to stay in the game. However, there record at Etihad shows a few unexpected losses, so will be there with hope.

Bulldog4life
02-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Thanks DR. Well done. Got a sneaky suspicion that we are really going to take it up to the swans. Fingers crossed.

Remi Moses
02-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Good write up . It's an audit for our young team no doubt.
I just hope we can take it up to them, but that mid depth is frightening and has an unbelievable work rate both ways.

Nuggety Back Pocket
02-08-2013, 09:56 PM
Nice work, DR, better summary than you get anywhere else! But I do have to comment on the Swan's midfield. O’Keefe, Kennedy, Hanneberry, McVeigh, Bird and Jack may not have any Brownlows, but it is a sensational midfield and not underestimated by any of the Swan's opponents. It is a tough and skilful engine room that is going to give our boys a thing or two to think about. I wish Boydy and Clay were fit for this one, but Libber, Mitch and Griff are hard enough nuts to keep them honest.

Thanks also Dry Rot. The Swans have been able to overcome their injuries because of such a talented midfield. Cooney's good form plus the inclusion of Cross does help to some degree help cover the loss of Boyd and Smith. This is a good time to bring in Campbell and you would hope that he is given more time in the ruck given the Swans big man depth in Mummy Pyke Tippett and White. It will be the ability of our midfield with another big performance from Minson that gives us our best chance of an unlikely victory.

bornadog
02-08-2013, 10:21 PM
Thanks also Dry Rot. The Swans have been able to overcome their injuries because of such a talented midfield. Cooney's good form plus the inclusion of Cross does help to some degree help cover the loss of Boyd and Smith. This is a good time to bring in Campbell and you would hope that he is given more time in the ruck given the Swans big man depth in Mummy Pyke Tippett and White. It will be the ability of our midfield with another big performance from Minson that gives us our best chance of an unlikely victory.

Cross and Campbell in final team

LostDoggy
03-08-2013, 12:13 AM
As long as the boys play with heart, and their eyes wide open and ready to learn, I'll accept any result.

bornadog
03-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Swans by 35
First Goal Gia
Bog Griffen

Eastdog
03-08-2013, 02:13 AM
Dogs by 1 point
First Goal: Grant
BOG: Griffen

AndrewP6
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Swans by 51
BOG for us Griff
First goal Gia

GVGjr
03-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Swans by 51
BOG for us Griff
Fussy goal Stringer.

Late change with Stringer in?

Remi Moses
03-08-2013, 03:18 PM
Swans by 41 PTs
BOG Griffen
1st Goal Luke D

Greystache
04-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Sydney by 16
BOG Griffen
First goal Dahlhaus

AndrewP6
04-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Late change with Stringer in?

Bugger. Ok I'll rethink that one.

Go_Dogs
04-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Great work on the preview DR, interesting read - thanks.

Dogs by 11 points
BOG Ryan Griffen
First Goal Luke Dahlhaus

BornInDroopSt'54
04-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Dogs by 2 points
BOG Cooney
First Goal Tutt

soupman
04-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Gia and B Jack the subs

bulldogtragic
04-08-2013, 01:38 PM
Gia and B Jack the subs
Gia sub?

Sporting bet has him favourite for our first goal.... That better not be the case!

bulldogtragic
04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
BMac - Wallis to run with Kennedy today

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Gia sub?

Sporting bet has him favourite for our first goal.... That better not be the case!

They saw you coming BT :D

Dry Rot
04-08-2013, 02:09 PM
Thanks to Greystache for the opportunity to do the review and thanks for the nice comments.

Wish Stringer was in there.

whythelongface
04-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Good 1st Qtr by the boys. Great start by Campbell. Need to win more centre clearances but all up got to be happy with what we have seen.

Greystache
04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
How did Minson not get a hand on that? He must be one of the worst players at the club above his head.

Eastdog
04-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Good 1st Qtr by the boys. Great start by Campbell. Need to win more centre clearances but all up got to be happy with what we have seen.

Thanks whythelongface. Not at the game due to a christening but sounds like we are playing man on man footy which is good to hear.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 03:04 PM
We are playing a very good side and performing well. Enjoying this contest

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Lower the eyes

Eastdog
04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
18 points down approaching half time not too bad.

whythelongface
04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Good half of footy. Love the pressure that we are applying. Tackling has been great. Hopefully we stay competitive in the 2nd half.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 03:21 PM
Good to see some spread and overlap from our guys when we've got the pill.

Our pressure has been excellent, the Swans are very good at getting outside the contest.

We desperately, desperately need a big option that can clunk a mark. Addison is actually getting to all the right spots today, but he's just too small, though he's done some good stuff.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 03:27 PM
Been a great first half against a side that's largely four years more advanced. The contested ball is more than matched. It's the pressure thinking and execution where we largely fall short.

Draft focus needs to be the more silky skilled midfielders/halfbacks.

I think B Mac has gone the right way in teaching the contested call first - you only have to look at Sydneys' dominance over the last couple of years fir that. I think it'll be easier to add outside run and disposal efficiency from the base of contested ball that he's teaching/taught.

whythelongface
04-08-2013, 03:35 PM
We are matching the Swans and beating them in contested possession; tackling; clearances (although they look to be dominating the centre clearances); marks inside 50. Some really good signs - it is just our execution where we are lacking.

F'scary
04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Go Doggies. Surprise a few people even more in the second half!

The Pie Man
04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Great first half...fantastic pressure & tackling. Encouraging signs

westdog54
04-08-2013, 03:42 PM
If we can keep this up for a full game, Carlton would be bloody worried about next week.

Eastdog
04-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Wish I could of gone today. Sounds like we are really giving it a go. C'mon Dogs!

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 03:47 PM
TC has been caught slightly under the flight a number of times but has been strong enough to keep his position and get the ball to his feet. Well done.

kruder
04-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Sounds like the doggies have been fantastic. Still confused at why Macrae played he looks done for the year.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I've just seen the greatest f###Ing team goal ever !

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Campbell tap, Gia goal...does it get much better than that?

Hanging in there.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
What a goal saving tackle by Grant.

Different team when Minno on the pine.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Campbell tap, Gia goal...does it get much better than that?

Hanging in there.

Campbell has done some clever things today, a few nice taps, a shepherd or two.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
FFS. Breaks your heart.

C'mon boys, fight back.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
What a lack of leadership in that last minute. Gifted two goals.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Cruel game...those late goals have hurt.

ReLoad
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Stuff the AFL and their giving the Swans a player like Tippett. what a joke. Level playing field my ass.

whythelongface
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Cruel game...those late goals have hurt.

Sure is a cruel game. We were right in this and then bang bang bang - three quick goals.

ReLoad
04-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Sounds like the doggies have been fantastic. Still confused at why Macrae played he looks done for the year.

He's done for the year id suggest. His petrol tank exploded, running on empty.

azabob
04-08-2013, 04:18 PM

Seriously, is it that simple? Great teams do what Sydney just did.

chef

Serious?

Eastdog
Hoping now in the last we don't let it blow out after our great work for 3 quarters.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Seriously, is it that simple? Great teams do what Sydney just did.

it is on the first from a minute long stoppage and nobody is on the line.

Eastdog
04-08-2013, 04:54 PM
What did you posters make of the performance. Obviously wasn't at the game today.

chef
04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
What did you posters make of the performance. Obviously wasn't at the game today.

I thought it was impressive and I'm very excited about the future after the last month.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM

What an impressive performance from the boys.

Look at who we played; these are blue chip players.
We more than held our own, and but for a few cheap goals from them out the back, and a few easy misses, would have uncomfortably close for the Swans.

Particularly impressive given it's now August and young teams tire. We were sensational in the clearances and matched one of the best sides in the league in that area. There was no area of the game they could say they won convincingly. Put it right up to them.

We kept chipping in goals right to the end. Fantastic.

Lowey33
04-08-2013, 05:00 PM
I hate this game! Am I the only one who thinks that the reigning premiers can get a player that cheated to get to that team? Peter Gordon just spent a couple of weeks rubbing shoulders with the boss. Wonder if he mentioned that little chestnut? He might have but I doubt that prick Demetriou would have listened! We didn't stand a chance, even before this game started! Like I said......I hate this game!

Lowey33
04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Saying that, I've really enjoyed the last month of footy. We would have beaten maybe 16 other teams today. The guys have really bought into what Macca is selling. Think there might be a change or two next week. Think young McRae is buggered. He's shown plenty but he's only going to hurt himself if he goes on this year. Leave him to run the season out at willy. Another pre season will be great for him. Love hunter! Reckon he's going to be an elite player in a season or two. Just give him some time. I just hope they continue with jones. After today, I believe he can slot in as a chf, and play Campbell as ff and grant as a floater. I look forward to winning more games than not the remainder if the season!

BornInDroopSt'54
04-08-2013, 05:16 PM
I thought it was impressive and I'm very excited about the future after the last month.

Great to hear Chef. The prospect of an established culture of contested footy in a team of youngsters with the chance to top up with outside class and a very good tall forward is downright sexy, especially after the lows of getting thumped for a season and half.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I might be on my own here but did the wheels fall off for us late in the 3rd quarter when Campbell was in the ruck?

I was happy with his work up forward but he is a mile behind Minson as a first ruck option.
I guess the plus side is that he is probably ahead of Minson at the same age.

bornadog
04-08-2013, 06:14 PM
I might be on my own here but did the wheels fall off for us late in the 3rd quarter when Campbell was in the ruck?

I was happy with his work up forward but he is a mile behind Minson as a first ruck option.

Not on your own there. Those last 5 minutes in the third quarter killed us and the game in the end.

x2UJWQNJogE&feature=share&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA

Have a look at the score when Gia kicks this - only 8 points in it and then they end up with three more quick ones.

SonofScray
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM

I thought so as well, but also noticed just how spent players looked across the board. We gave our best shot today, expending a lot of energy to keep in the game and when we weren't rewarded a few times, they went back and slotted a few which made all the difference.

Wilbur needed the chop out but you are right he is head and shoulders the best option we have, we need him to be a workhorse. Tom Campbell started well, dropped off a bit but finished well. Noticed after being beat a few times in the air he lapsed into Cordy like 'one handers' trying to palm everything rather than mark. Fatigue, I guess.

In all, you couldn't have expected much more from Campbell.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Wilbur needed the chop out but you are right he is head and shoulders the best option we have, we need him to be a workhorse. Tom Campbell started well, dropped off a bit but finished well. Noticed after being beat a few times in the air he lapsed into Cordy like 'one handers' trying to palm everything rather than mark. Fatigue, I guess.

In all, you couldn't have expected much more from Campbell.

We might as well get a few more games into him. He is not without a chance of becoming a decent player. I worry about his mobility though. He needs to get a lot fitter.

G-Mo77
04-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Disappointing that it got out to that margin. 5 minutes of redtime in the 3rd really cost us badly.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 07:17 PM
We might as well get a few more games into him. He is not without a chance of becoming a decent player. I worry about his mobility though. He needs to get a lot fitter.

21 who's really only done two preseasons. His Willy game a few weeks back he showed great mobility.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Umpiring was atrocious.

Sportsmanship in football is dead, when Murph was winded on the ground Jude Bolton ran off and kicked a goal, his old mate Brett Kirk would've tried to make sure Murph was okay and call a trainer to him.

The Doctor
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Umpiring was atrocious.

Sportsmanship in football is dead, when Murph was winded on the ground Jude Bolton ran off and kicked a goal, his old mate Brett Kirk would've tried to make sure Murph was okay and call a trainer to him.

If one of our blokes didn't do the same thing Bolton did I would be furious.

Trainers are there to help the players.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 08:01 PM
21 who's really only done two preseasons. His Willy game a few weeks back he showed great mobility.

He often shares the ruck with Cameron Wood and/or Ayce Cordy so I'm still to be convinced of his mobility and fitness. I've already acknowledged his age plus it's a big step from the VFL to the AFL for a ruckman.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 08:10 PM
If one of our blokes didn't do the same thing Bolton did I would be furious.

Trainers are there to help the players.
Im pretty strong on this, if Brett Kirk were dead he'd be rolling over in his grave, watching Kirk help injured players from other teams is one of my football highlights. Still he was a once in a generation sportsman I guess.

SonofScray
04-08-2013, 08:35 PM
Im pretty strong on this, if Brett Kirk were dead he'd be rolling over in his grave, watching Kirk help injured players from other teams is one of my football highlights. Still he was a once in a generation sportsman I guess.

Tend to agree, though the Heppell v Smith incident was far worse. Wish the umpire would hold play up in those scenarios. Play has stopped anyway, why allow a one man advantage, or put the player at risk while waiting treatment.

westdog54
04-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Not on your own there. Those last 5 minutes in the third quarter killed us and the game in the end.

x2UJWQNJogE&feature=share&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA

Have a look at the score when Gia kicks this - only 8 points in it and then they end up with three more quick ones.

That is just one of the greatest things I've ever seen. Great smarts from Campbell and the finish on the 'swinger' would have beaten Gordon Banks and Lev Yashin if they were guarding the same goal.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Umpiring was atrocious.

I respect that's your opinion, it's just about the direct opposite of mine. If one of our players did as you suggested, I would be pretty disappointed.

Also, Brett Kirk might be a great bloke, but his career would be just as littered with as many shots behind play as any AFL player's. There are no angels on the football field.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 08:59 PM
Tend to agree, though the Heppell v Smith incident was far worse. Wish the umpire would hold play up in those scenarios. Play has stopped anyway, why allow a one man advantage, or put the player at risk while waiting treatment.

Wait, aren't you the same guy who was gleeful at the prospect that Goddard may have broken his neck some years ago?

whythelongface
04-08-2013, 09:11 PM

I actually thought he was more mobile than I what I had expected. However, as the game wore on his mobility declined due to his lack of fitness. Was quite impressed by some of his footy smarts eg, his tap onto Gia.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I actually thought he was more mobile than I what I had expected. However, as the game wore on his mobility declined due to his lack of fitness. Was quite impressed by some of his footy smarts eg, his tap onto Gia.

He didn't have a lot of work to do up forward early in the game so given that his fitness and mobility declined as the game wore on he certainly needs to improve.

SonofScray
04-08-2013, 09:41 PM
Wait, aren't you the same guy who was gleeful at the prospect that Goddard may have broken his neck some years ago?

Absolutely I was.

Once that had occurred, I'd hope the officials and players in the vicinity showed a basic level of care and not opt to immediately take advantage of the scenario. As was the case with Essendon who stepped around a player on the ground where the mark was, calling for medical attention.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 09:50 PM
Absolutely I was.

Once that had occurred, I'd hope the officials and players in the vicinity showed a basic level of care and not opt to immediately take advantage of the scenario. As was the case with Essendon who stepped around a player on the ground where the mark was, calling for medical attention.

I find that really odd. You'd delight in an opposition player being very seriously injured but would expect their opponents, in the heat of the moment, to display a higher moral standard?

I'm not potting you for it, it's fine that we disagree, I just don't understand it.

SonofScray
04-08-2013, 09:59 PM
I find that really odd. You'd delight in an opposition player being very seriously injured but would expect their opponents, in the heat of the moment, to display a higher moral standard?

I'm not potting you for it, it's fine that we disagree, I just don't understand it.

Not an opposition player. Brendan Goddard.

I suppose it depends on what is the heat of the moment? The two scenarios that have been mentioned- Play has stopped, injured player is in the immediate vicinity, would otherwise be in the contest but requires medical attention. In that scenario, if you were to step over the injured player and play on, that is an ordinary act. The umpire however is ultimately at fault there though as I feel play should be stopped.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 10:05 PM
Not an opposition player. Brendan Goddard.

I suppose it depends on what is the heat of the moment? The two scenarios that have been mentioned- Play has stopped, injured player is in the immediate vicinity, would otherwise be in the contest but requires medical attention. In that scenario, if you were to step over the injured player and play on, that is an ordinary act. The umpire however is ultimately at fault there though as I feel play should be stopped.

A player from another team then. I don't see how who it is matters. I mean, I hate Goddard too, but I dont want his neck broken.

Anyway, you've explained your point well enough, and we're not gonna agree, so I'm happy to move on if that suit-shirts you.

Hotdog60
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
A player from another team then. I don't see how who it is matters. I mean, I hate Goddard too, but I dont want his neck broken.

Anyway, you've explained your point well enough, and we're not gonna agree, so I'm happy to move on if that suit-shirts you.

Reminds me of something many years ago and I cannot remember the players involved but one of ours was knock out and fell over the ball. The opposition player was over the top of him holding his hand up for holding the ball and the umpire paid it.
The umpire had to wait for the player to be carried from the field so the player could take his shot at goal.

Sedat
04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Reminds me of something many years ago and I cannot remember the players involved but one of ours was knock out and fell over the ball. The opposition player was over the top of him holding his hand up for holding the ball and the umpire paid it.
The umpire had to wait for the player to be carried from the field so the player could take his shot at goal.
Mick McKenna against the Swans at the SCG some time in the 80's. I believe he suffered a broken jaw as well. Ask Twodogs what he thought of this free kick :D

always right
04-08-2013, 10:44 PM
For what it's worth I was impressed with Campbell today. Sure he needs to get fitter but what I loved was how he gave us a great contest most times we went forward....which resulted in goals on several occasions. Can't remember the last time we had a big bloke in the square who did that. Also thought his ruckwork was generally pretty good....well short of Will but most are.

Dry Rot
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
For what it's worth I was impressed with Campbell today. Sure he needs to get fitter but what I loved was how he gave us a great contest most times we went forward....which resulted in goals on several occasions. Can't remember the last time we had a big bloke in the square who did that. .

Agreed.

Is it just me or does anyone else reckon we look better with Campbell up there than Jones?

Seems to me Campbell and Grant > Jones and Grant > Jones and Cordy

The Doctor
04-08-2013, 11:24 PM
For what it's worth I was impressed with Campbell today. Sure he needs to get fitter but what I loved was how he gave us a great contest most times we went forward....which resulted in goals on several occasions. Can't remember the last time we had a big bloke in the square who did that. Also thought his ruckwork was generally pretty good....well short of Will but most are.

Agree

He at least gave us a forward line structure. At this stage of his career he may not be the smartest or the strongest or the most skilful but what he has in those areas he brings to the team that others like Cordy and Markovic don't or can't.

We must play him for the rest of the season and give him a chance.

Dry Rot
04-08-2013, 11:26 PM
Last weekend, Gerard Healy gave an interesting quote during the Swans and Tigers game. It went something like the Swans are giving the Tigers an audit and they are not faring well. This week, it's our turn for a Swans audit.

I think our audit went very well, and while they may be no such thing as a good loss, that was close.

Our audit results were much better than those for the Bombers and Tigers IIRC.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 11:33 PM
I think our audit went very well, and while they amy be no such thing as a good loss, that was close.

Our audit results were much better than those for the Bombers and Tigers IIRC.

And the Tigers knocked off the Hawks yesterday.

I saw a tweet from Neil Cordy and it went along the lines of that we almost out Swanned the Swans.

Dry Rot
04-08-2013, 11:55 PM

IMO Hawks, Cats and Bombers are looking a bit wobbly right now.

I saw a tweet from Neil Cordy and it went along the lines of that we almost out Swanned the Swans.

Yep, even though we didn't win I am a proud Doggies fan in the land (and my street) of the Swans.

Twodogs
05-08-2013, 12:06 AM

And the Tigers have subjected us to a couple of fairly rigorous audits this year.

Twodogs
05-08-2013, 12:15 AM

Disappointing that it got out to that margin. 5 minutes of redtime in the 3rd really cost us badly.

It was less than 5 minutes. With exactly 2.00 minutes of actual play time left on the clock we were only 8 points behind with the momentum going our way. Those 2 minutes cost us dearly.

Twodogs
05-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Mick McKenna against the Swans at the SCG some time in the 80's. I believe he suffered a broken jaw as well. Ask Twodogs what he thought of this free kick :D

Single. Worst. Decision. Ever. The really tragic thing is it didn't surprise me.

Dry Rot
05-08-2013, 12:42 AM
And the Tigers have subjected us to a couple of fairly rigorous audits this year.

Nathan Tinkler got off lighter than us.

Why have we matched up so badly with the Tigers twice this season?

The Bulldogs Bite
05-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Impressive performance -- our best three quarters yet IMO.

Improvement has been quite rapid in the last month.

chef
05-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Umpiring was atrocious.

Serious?

GVGjr
05-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Umpiring was atrocious.

I thought they let the game flow. How many free kicks were paid?

soupman
05-08-2013, 08:17 AM
I thought they let the game flow. How many free kicks were paid?

I watched it on TV due to work commitments and I thought the umpires let a lot go for a long time, and were fairly consistent. I thought they had a pretty good game tbh.

Twodogs
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Nathan Tinkler got off lighter than us.

Heh!

Why have we matched up so badly with the Tigers twice this season?

A lack of confidence going into the games I reckon. We were playing as badly as I have seen us play up until a month or so ago. We had nobody to play on their best midfielders, no functional forward line or real structure and our defence was shaky. At the ground all you could see was 20 odd bulldig jumpers swarming around the ball and a token target in the forward line. Even if we got our hands on the ball we'd just chuck it on th boot and tumble it forward with no method. It was like watching an underage team.

Or maybe (and it pains me to say this) Richmond are better than we give them credit for.

bulldogtragic
05-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Watching the replay... Who do we have to bribe to get a holding the ball free our way. Geez!

always right
05-08-2013, 12:11 PM
Watching the replay... Who do we have to bribe to get a holding the ball free our way. Geez!

How stiff was Lachie Hunter to be the only bloke to have holding the ball paid against him?

There was one tackle early in the game where the swans player (Parker?) was given so long to get rid of the ball I thought the umpire had nodded off.

Maddog37
05-08-2013, 12:55 PM
What did people think of Tom Youngs game?

always right
05-08-2013, 01:14 PM
What did people think of Tom Youngs game?

Thought it was a typical Tom Young game. He is very assured with the ball in hand and makes good decisions. Not unlike Dale Morris at times.

The knock on him from Collingwood supporters was that he turned the ball over. Can't see I've sen much evidence of that...he's been a great pick-up and we are definitely a better side with him playing.

Mofra
05-08-2013, 01:33 PM
The knock on him from Collingwood supporters was that he turned the ball over. Can't see I've sen much evidence of that...he's been a great pick-up and we are definitely a better side with him playing.
I thought he was one of our better ball users against West Coast too.

When we traded him in I was skeptical.
His pre-season kicking left something to be desired
When he showed a bit I thought "hey, we may have a potential Dale Morris style stopper on our hands"
Now he seems to be a bit more of a Shaggy type - probably better on players his own height or a little shorter but provides some rebound with his kicking.

Looks firmly in our best 22 as it stands.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 01:40 PM

When he showed a bit I thought "hey, we may have a potential Dale Morris style stopper on our hands"
Now he seems to be a bit more of a Shaggy type - probably better on players his own height or a little shorter but provides some rebound with his kicking.

I think he is the best of the recycled players we picked up, and he is only 21 years old

bulldogtragic
05-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Pretty happy with the TY purchase. Pick 71 is a steal. The rookie selections and passes started well before pick 71, so that tells me the 18 clubs thought pick 65+ were average. So to get TY in that range I good value.

Greystache
05-08-2013, 02:04 PM

I saw him in the preseason doing a decision making drill and he was so bad it was a standout. I wondered at the time what we saw in him and his early preseason form didn't change my view much, but he's been an excellent recruit and fills a glaring void in our list.

I don't know whether it was a confidence things something the coaches have really worked with him on, or if he just had a bad day the couple of times I saw him but he looks a totally different player.

I heard the club was really surprised how poor his fitness and physical development was when he arrived given he'd come from such a well resourced club in Collingwood, so maybe a big improvement in this area might be one explanation.

Hotdog60
05-08-2013, 07:08 PM
How stiff was Lachie Hunter to be the only bloke to have holding the ball paid against him?

There was one tackle early in the game where the swans player (Parker?) was given so long to get rid of the ball I thought the umpire had nodded off.

It's part of the game that is being lost. There is no reward for a good tackle. The umpires just say it got knocked out in the tackle and sometimes that's true. But blind Freddie can see when this occurs and when a player doesn't dispose of the ball by hand or foot in a good tackle.

They need to get back to the basics and reward the player for the effort.

SonofScray
05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
It's part of the game that is being lost. There is no reward for a good tackle. The umpires just say it got knocked out in the tackle and sometimes that's true. But blind Freddie can see when this occurs and when a player doesn't dispose of the ball by hand or foot in a good tackle.

They need to get back to the basics and reward the player for the effort.

I agree. An umpiring mate of mine suggests that the tackle is reward in itself, particularly where the opponent is dispossessed. I don't like that thinking.

whythelongface
05-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Agreed.

Is it just me or does anyone else reckon we look better with Campbell up there than Jones?

Seems to me Campbell and Grant > Jones and Grant > Jones and Cordy

We will look even better with Jones, Campbell and Grant all playing in the forward line. With Campbell playing, Jones won't be double teamed.

DISHLICKERS
05-08-2013, 09:53 PM
We will look even better with Jones, Campbell and Grant all playing in the forward line. With Campbell playing, Jones won't be double teamed.

With Campbell playing, Jones wont need to ruck either. Jones is far from a ruckman.

Campbell in the side up foward I think would help Jones and Grant IMO.

GVGjr
05-08-2013, 11:40 PM
This off Twitter

"WB laid 96 tackles yesterday, the 2nd-most recorded by any team in 648 games at Etihad"

Do you think the younger players are starting to get that defensive hard nosed edge that good Bulldog teams in the past were built on?

SonofScray
06-08-2013, 12:15 AM
This off Twitter

"WB laid 96 tackles yesterday, the 2nd-most recorded by any team in 648 games at Etihad"

Do you think the younger players are starting to get that defensive hard nosed edge that good Bulldog teams in the past were built on?

I think so. It is a trait we as a Club respond to really well. I know we've gone through a phase of self loathing around "The Scraggers (see Year of the Dog and scenes with Club psychologist)" but we are a stronger Club when we play to that identity. Macca promised us a ruthless, aggressive team and I think we are seeing it play out at the moment. The amount of pressure acts and really dogged efforts on the weekend was exceptional and the crowd certainly responded well. I noticed the Club is pumping that aspect up as well in social media.

The lack of it in recent seasons has been most frustrating. The emergence of it this season has been a highlight. I love that part of footy. We've seen lots of tackling, a few decent bumps, courageous acts, a few scuffles in recent weeks across the squad. Thats good value, even in a losing side. We want to be better at the other side of the game as well but if you are up in the opposition's face and are committed to the idea of making them have an ordinary day out, you're in the battle from the get go.

boydogs
06-08-2013, 12:18 AM
This off Twitter

Surprised you've only just noticed! :D

1eyedog
06-08-2013, 12:39 AM

Yep. It was an interesting time because during that period Minson was desperately trying to get on.

Remi Moses
06-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Agree with the above sentiments .
Tom Young looked unfit in that first photo at the club.
Been good value, and has a calmness under pressure.
Hard Contested football wins finals and big games.
End of Story