PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 20 vs Carlton

Greystache
04-08-2013, 12:25 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Saturday's game against Carlton at Etihad Stadium?

As usual a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussions.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Bump

BornInDroopSt'54
04-08-2013, 05:23 PM
I didn't see the game but:
INS: Veszpremi, Jones
OUT: Macrae and anyone who didn't crack in or add with talent.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I didn't see the game but:
INS: Veszpremi, Jones
OUT: Macrae and anyone who didn't crack in or add with talent.

Interesting. Care to elaborate? He's got a red line through him for mine.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm not quite sure who should be in or out but I can't see us doing any more than a couple of changes.

azabob
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM
I'm not quite sure who should be in or out but I can't see us doing any more than a couple of changes.

Do we bring Jones straight back in, if fit?

Do we have enough players to cover Carlton's 3 small players?

I think Campbell could do well against the Carlton defense.

More questions than answers this early in the week.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 10:03 PM

I think McCrae goes out. He's got a very bright future, but I think the stresses of his first season and the extra weight have worn him down. I wouldn't say done for the year yet, but a few weeks off won't hurt. I'd say Hrovat in, but I'm not sure of his current status.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
I think McCrae goes out. He's got a very bright future, but I think the stresses of his first season and the extra weight have worn him down. I wouldn't say done for the year yet, but a few weeks off won't hurt. I'd say Hrovat in, but I'm not sure of his current status.

I don't think Hrovat will be ready. I doubt he was omitted due to general sorness and wouldn't be surprised if he needs a couple of more weeks.

bornadog
04-08-2013, 11:23 PM
I still want to see Roberts in the team at some stage.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 11:25 PM

Has he done anything that currently warrants his selection?

bornadog
04-08-2013, 11:30 PM

First two weeks back from injury kicked three goals each week, then in the coaches review the past two weeks (not including today as I don't know how he went), he was praised for how well he played eg last week:

Fletcher Roberts: He didn’t get a lot of the ball but watching the game back again, we can’t really remember him getting beaten once and that is what a defender should be doing. That is his main role to be able to restrict his opponent and he did that really well. I was really pleased with his his spoiling and some of his marking and his ball use from the back half was really good.

and the previous week:

Fletcher Roberts: He was good. He played forward and back and I thought he was really good down back. He was probably our best player in being able to handle the conditions, with his ball handling and his execution and his ability to be effective with it.

Nuggety Back Pocket
05-08-2013, 02:54 PM
I would envisage just the one change with Boyd to replace Macrae.
The inclusion of Cross against the Swans showed the value of experience. Macrae Stringer Hrovat and Hunter will all be better players next year and there isn't an urgent need to bring them back at this time.
There is still the need for a bigger marking forward such as Jones or Stringer at the expense of an Addison Dickson or Gia. Campbell should be retained as it is important to have a second back up ruckman.

G-Mo77
05-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Boyd sounds like he'll be back.

Dahlhaus has a broken beak so might miss but I doubt it.

How's Wood coming along?

Remi Moses
05-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Bit sceptical about having Boyd and Cross in the same team.
I think with Hrovat injured and Macrae looking stuffed it was inevitable it was going to happen.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Boyd sounds like he'll be back.

Dahlhaus has a broken beak so might miss but I doubt it.

How's Wood coming along?

Wood also has a broken nose after the weekend.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 06:33 PM
At least the players are using their head on the field.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2013, 07:04 PM

Well, that's an interesting one. If the MC are going to pick players like Jong, Campbell, Howard and even Macrae along the journey, ( and Roberts has been playing well at VFL according to reports ) I find it hard to argue against supporters who wonder why he hasn't been selected.

The Underdog
05-08-2013, 07:16 PM
Well, that's an interesting one. If the MC are going to pick players like Jong, Campbell, Howard and even Macrae along the journey, ( and Roberts has been playing well at VFL according to reports ) I find it hard to argue against supporters who wonder why he hasn't been selected.

Mainly because he got injured at the point that he was probably close to selection. He's only had a few games back in Williamstown's firsts and Campbell has been given a shot ahead of him and likely deserves more based on Sunday. Remember Roberts did get a couple of games last year but probably hasn't been fit/ in form at the right time this year. Even if he doesn't get a game for the Dogs in he next few weeks he is still getting the opportunity to develop his game and will likely play some games next year. While I don't always agree with the MC on selection and believe Roberts deserves his chance at some point there is so many things we aren't privy to that means we probably need to relax some of the over scrutinisation of them. They seem to be getting more right than wrong lately so I'm prepared to cut them some slack.

Thinking Boyd in for Macrae at this point but given the 6 day break and how physically taxing that game was, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of others rotated through.

azabob
05-08-2013, 07:56 PM

Who would you replace him with BAD?

Ghost Dog
05-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Mainly because he got injured at the point that he was probably close to selection. He's only had a few games back in Williamstown's firsts and Campbell has been given a shot ahead of him and likely deserves more based on Sunday. Remember Roberts did get a couple of games last year but probably hasn't been fit/ in form at the right time this year. Even if he doesn't get a game for the Dogs in he next few weeks he is still getting the opportunity to develop his game and will likely play some games next year. While I don't always agree with the MC on selection and believe Roberts deserves his chance at some point there is so many things we aren't privy to that means we probably need to relax some of the over scrutinisation of them. They seem to be getting more right than wrong lately so I'm prepared to cut them some slack.

Thinking Boyd in for Macrae at this point but given the 6 day break and how physically taxing that game was, I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of others rotated through.

Anyway, "Gangly" no longer applies to Fletch anymore, that's for sure. Looks the goods and developing well.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 11:23 PM
Who would you replace him with BAD?

Probably Campbell, maybe not this week, but maybe next.

always right
06-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Probably Campbell, maybe not this week, but maybe next.

And if Campbell plays well again?

always right
06-08-2013, 10:08 AM
With all the media scrutiny on Mark Murphy this week I think we are being set up for a big performance from the Carlton skipper. For all his failings he can still be a very damaging midfielder.

Who do we play on him this week? I reckon Wallis is a candidate even though personally I would love to see Picken play on Murphy as he has done well on him previously and he is just the sort of player who can get a mental advantage over Murphy. He sems to be a lock in the back pocket however and is likely to be needed on Betts.

bornadog
06-08-2013, 11:07 AM
And if Campbell plays well again?

He was just ok on the weekend. The two goals in the first quarter saved him.

chef
06-08-2013, 11:11 AM

He positioned himself well a few times, but the ball bounced off his hands. He needs to clunk those if he is to keep his spot.

always right
06-08-2013, 11:37 AM

Simplistic view IMHO.

Granted the two goals were his highlight but he provided a really strong contest every time the ball came up there and that's not something we have been able to rely upon this season. Some of those contests resulted directly in goals, the Grant one springing to mind immediately.

And whilst the Swan's ruckmen took advantage of him at times, there were a number of occasions where he won the ruck contest clearly and to our runner's advantage. I also think Will benefited from having Campbell as support and as the game progressed in the second half Will was able to assert some dominance over Mumford and Pyke in the ruck contests.

All in all a good game from Campbell that shouldn't simply be measured by the two goals he kicked....as important as they were.

SlimPickens
06-08-2013, 11:39 AM
Out McCrae (Rest)

In Jones

Not too many changes for me. Would like to see how Campbell and Jones would operate in the same forward line.

Greystache
06-08-2013, 11:41 AM
Simplistic view IMHO.

Granted the two goals were his highlight but he provided a really strong contest every time the ball came up there and that's not something we have been able to rely upon this season. Some of those contests resulted directly in goals, the Grant one springing to mind immediately.

And whilst the Swan's ruckmen took advantage of him at times, there were a number of occasions where he won the ruck contest clearly and to our runner's advantage. I also think Will benefited from having Campbell as support and as the game progressed in the second half Will was able to assert some dominance over Mumford and Pyke in the ruck contests.

All in all a good game from Campbell that shouldn't simply be measured by the two goals he kicked....as important as they were.

The tap to Gia for a goal was another.

I like Campbell, I've made that clear for some time, but I liked what he contributed on the weekend and while he'll have his limitations for another couple of years we'll benefit long term from giving him games (which he has earned.

Nuggety Back Pocket
06-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Campbell's value really is as a back up second ruckman to Will Minson. I think the two goals he kicked were a bonus, as was his tap to Gia for another goal and his willingness to play in front whilst at FF to create a contest. The top teams play two ruckmen and for us to move forward, we need to do likewise.

Mofra
06-08-2013, 12:18 PM
The top teams play two ruckmen and for us to move forward, we need to do likewise.
The top teams also play that second ruck as someone who can play forward and make an impact.

Campbell is still better suited to a no 1 ruck role for me but showed signs - if he creates a contest and we feed off him for goals, he's doing his job.
A Roughy style forward/second ruck would be ideal. I'm warming to the idea of going after a defender to allow Roughy to spend more time forward next year.

bornadog
06-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Campbell's value really is as a back up second ruckman to Will Minson. I think the two goals he kicked were a bonus, as was his tap to Gia for another goal and his willingness to play in front whilst at FF to create a contest. The top teams play two ruckmen and for us to move forward, we need to do likewise.

I agree with your assessment, its all a learning process for him. He will get better with age experience.

At some stage and there are only four games to go, Roberts should get a game and it may have to be at the expense of Campbell. Maybe we can play both?

Cyberdoggie
06-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Our injection of pace in the middle of the year has been one of the key ingredients to our improvement. I think the coaching staff realized this eventually and hard decisions were made by dropping cross and subbing gia.

Now we have both of them in the side again and Boyd will likely come back in again as well.

So what has changed?

While Cross competed like he always does on the weekend, it was evidently clear that he lacks pace and agility and was burned a few times by the speedy Jacks n co of the swans midfield on the rebound.

I love what Cross has done for our club but for balance we can't have all three of those guys in the side.

If Boyd comes back in Cross probably needs to go out.

Not an easy team selection this week.

Dancin' Douggy
06-08-2013, 01:59 PM
I actually think Cross offers more of a package than Boyd.

Twodogs
06-08-2013, 02:33 PM
More questions than answers this early in the week.

Not an easy team selection this week.

It's been a while since we've had this problem but it's a good one to have.

Any chance we could go in with an unchanged lineup? I'd like to see it but I think Macrae will get a rest and Dal will miss with his broken snozz. If Boyd is fit he should come in for Macrae and maybe Vez gets one last chance if Dal misses.

Does anyone know how Stringer's injury came up? Could he come in to replace Dickson or Addison?

soupman
06-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Why would Dahl miss within a broken nose? I don't think I've ever seen anybody miss because of one of them and he played half the match with it anyway.

Macrae looks like his season is just about over at AFL level. I'd be happy to let him play at VFL level.

Ozza
06-08-2013, 03:16 PM
It's been a while since we've had this problem but it's a good one to have.

Any chance we could go in with an unchanged lineup? I'd like to see it but I think Macrae will get a rest and Dal will miss with his broken snozz. If Boyd is fit he should come in for Macrae and maybe Vez gets one last chance if Dal misses.

Does anyone know how Stringer's injury came up? Could he come in to replace Dickson or Addison?

The medical report on teh bulldogs app was that he was sore - but walking around a lot better on the Sunday/Monday. My guess would be that they would give him a week off all together. I certainly wouldn't have thought he'd be in contention for seniors,as the injury occurred in the first half of the VFL game.

Probably out of Boyd, Hrovat and Jones as potential ins.
Perhaps Macrae, Dickson, Dahlhaus (injured) as potential outs

But I wouldn't have thought there would be more than 2 changes.

bornadog
06-08-2013, 03:30 PM
The medical report on teh bulldogs app was that he was sore - but walking around a lot better on the Sunday/Monday. My guess would be that they would give him a week off all together. I certainly wouldn't have thought he'd be in contention for seniors,as the injury occurred in the first half of the VFL game.

Probably out of Boyd, Hrovat and Jones as potential ins.
Perhaps Macrae, Dickson, Dahlhaus (injured) as potential outs

But I wouldn't have thought there would be more than 2 changes.

Even though I have been critical of Dickson's performance since he came back in a few weeks ago, the last two weeks he has kicked goals, so he should stay in.

LostDoggy
06-08-2013, 03:40 PM
This is the "In the mix" report from the AFL website.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Matthew Boyd is a chance to return after missing the loss to the Sydney Swans with calf soreness. Liam Jones is also a chance to play, if he can prove he's over an ankle injury. Nick Lower is in a similar boat, after recovering from concussion. Christian Howard and Mark Austin were named as emergencies last week, and will continue to push their cases for selection. Patrick Veszpremi kicked four goals in Williamstown's VFL clash against Collingwood, and may be considered, but the senior lineup competed well against the Swans, and Brendan McCartney may be reluctant to tamper with the formula. - Jacqui Reed

Oh yeah Ves kicked 4 goals lets bring him back, forgetting the fact he has spent most the year on Williamstown seconds :rolleyes:

LostDoggy
06-08-2013, 03:40 PM
With all the media scrutiny on Mark Murphy this week I think we are being set up for a big performance from the Carlton skipper. For all his failings he can still be a very damaging midfielder.

Who do we play on him this week? I reckon Wallis is a candidate even though personally I would love to see Picken play on Murphy as he has done well on him previously and he is just the sort of player who can get a mental advantage over Murphy. He sems to be a lock in the back pocket however and is likely to be needed on Betts.

I'm not so sure he would be needed on Betts, i wouldn't be suprised if Betts and/or Yarran are dropped this week.

Form for these 2 has been woeful now for several weeks.

Ozza
06-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Even though I have been critical of Dickson's performance since he came back in a few weeks ago, the last two weeks he has kicked goals, so he should stay in.

I don't necessarily think he should be out either. But if Jones does come back in - its likely we would drop a forward.

I know you'd prefer Addison missed - and perhaps he will given he is playing as a deep forward type.

LostDoggy
06-08-2013, 04:49 PM
This is the "In the mix" report from the AFL website.

WESTERN BULLDOGS
Matthew Boyd is a chance to return after missing the loss to the Sydney Swans with calf soreness. Liam Jones is also a chance to play, if he can prove he's over an ankle injury. Nick Lower is in a similar boat, after recovering from concussion. Christian Howard and Mark Austin were named as emergencies last week, and will continue to push their cases for selection. Patrick Veszpremi kicked four goals in Williamstown's VFL clash against Collingwood, and may be considered, but the senior lineup competed well against the Swans, and Brendan McCartney may be reluctant to tamper with the formula. - Jacqui Reed

Oh yeah Ves kicked 4 goals lets bring him back, forgetting the fact he has spent most the year on Williamstown seconds :rolleyes:

VEsz played one game of vfl reserves and didn't deserve to be there.
Tore a couple of games to shreds earlier in the year but was down on confidence for a while after being dropped after his performance when given a go at afl level.

LostDoggy
06-08-2013, 06:21 PM
VEsz played one game of vfl reserves and didn't deserve to be there.
Tore a couple of games to shreds earlier in the year but was down on confidence for a while after being dropped after his performance when given a go at afl level.

My baaad, thought I saw his name in there a few times.

Seems like an obvious end of season delisting though

boydogs
06-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Out: Macrae
In: Hrovat

kruder
08-08-2013, 12:20 PM
Amazed they played macrae last week he looked shot as a sub the week before. I'd love to see Roberts in for him, it's time to see what this kid can do.

If hunter needs a rest then Pearce/Howard/wood to get a another crack at it while Hrovat is still out.

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 01:55 PM
In: Wood

Wouldn't mind seeing that after Wood's 26 disposals in the vfl, won't happen though.

azabob
08-08-2013, 01:57 PM
In: Wood

Wouldn't mind seeing that after Wood's 26 disposals in the vfl, won't happen though.

Why won't it happen? Once the are confident his hamstring can cope he will be straight back in.

Cyberdoggie
08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Amazed they played macrae last week he looked shot as a sub the week before. I'd love to see Roberts in for him, it's time to see what this kid can do.

If hunter needs a rest then Pearce/Howard/wood to get a another crack at it while Hrovat is still out.

None of those players were in the bests for Willi although going on stats alone, Easton Wood was the pick by far.

Wood 26 disposals at 77% eff. 8 marks,

Pearce 20 disposals at 70% eff, 5 free kicks against.

Howard 19 disposals 79%. 1 goal 1 behind

Vez 22 disposals 64%, 4 goals 2 behinds. (5th in the bests)

Roberts 14 disposals 72%, 5 marks (2 contested) 2 goals 3 behinds

Cordy 17 disposals 65%, 10 marks (2 contested) 1 behind, (had 9 kicks 5 of which were ineffective)

bornadog
08-08-2013, 05:04 PM
Given this:

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs are poised to recall Liam Jones for Saturday's clash with Carlton after the forward missed the club's loss to the Sydney Swans with an ankle issue.

Adam Cooney was a noticeable absentee from Thursday's training session, but was spotted training away from the group.

Matthew Boyd is facing a race against time to overcome a calf complaint in time.

"We'll know more today, we'll put him through half testing half training," McCartney said of Boyd.

Does Campbell stay in?

JohnGentStand
08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
IN : Wood, Vez (if Boyd doesnt get up), Jones

OUT : Macrae, Cross, Campbell

I would like to see Vez get another chance as his efforts for Willi have been decent. I wouldnt be too surprised to see Lower come in either.

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Pfft Vez, honestly, let it go. He's not in our future plans.

This is a time where we should be exposing the younger players on our list who haven't had an extended run. Disappointed if Campbell if rubber-banded to allow the inclusion of Vez also.

bulldogtragic
08-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Pfft Vez, honestly, let it go. He's not in our future plans.

This is a time where we should be exposing the younger players on our list who haven't had an extended run. Disappointed if Campbell if rubber-banded to allow the inclusion of Vez also.
Yep. Vez seems a really decent young man. But the club has (must) look beyond.

JohnGentStand
08-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Jarrad Grant wasnt in our future plans a month ago...

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Jarrad Grant wasnt in our future plans a month ago...

Vez had a go after playing well with Willy earlier in the season. To say it was one of the worst performances from a promoted player in recent years would be an understatement.

Grant had a myriad of talent and likewise frustration. Vez is a known known.

If Vez is in our plans we'll have two picks at the ND because nobody is going to be delisted and only Gia and Cross will be off the list.

Bulldog4life
08-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Vez had a go after playing well with Willy earlier in the season. To say it was one of the worst performances from a promoted player in recent years would be an understatement.

Grant had a myriad of talent and likewise frustration. Vez is a known known.

If Vez is in our plans we'll have two picks at the ND because nobody is going to be delisted and only Gia and Cross will be off the list.

Markovic?

soupman
08-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Markovic?

I actually think Markovic is a good chance to be retained for another year. I think we would keep him over Austin, and I think we will keep one.

JohnGentStand
08-08-2013, 05:48 PM
Markovic ? Pearce ? Howard ?
I'm not so sure on these futures either....
Would you be happy to keep all 3 ?

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 05:55 PM
Markovic?

That's the point. He's played a number of game during the season also? Doe's he stay?

I don't think he should because he's another player where know what we'll get from them. Vez and Markovic (Austin) aren't depth players. They're dead weights due to their known deficiencies. There's little upside, if any, at AFL level.

Giving Vez a call up because he kicked four goals in the VFL - at a time when we've got Gia/Grant/Jones to come back in & Dickson all contributing well over the past couple of rounds - is simply a waste.

2012 he played off a half back flank on occassion. We're developing nicely there imo, so where would he fit?

Play the future of our club, not the past.

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Markovic ? Pearce ? Howard ?I'm not so sure on these futures either....
Would you be happy to keep all 3 ?

Be happier to keep the last two JGS with the VFL side coming in. Their age and run 'could' be developed, but they've got plenty of competition. Markovic has already been covered above.

chef
08-08-2013, 07:29 PM
In
Easton Wood, Liam Jones, Mark Austin.
Out
Michael Talia (Soreness) , Lachie Hunter (Rested) , Jack Macrae (Soreness)

Greystache
08-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Disappointing to see Austin coming in for Talia rather than Roberts.

The Bulldogs Bite
08-08-2013, 07:37 PM

Yep.

I really don't see the point of playing (or keeping) Austin or Markovic, especially this late in the season.

bulldogsthru&thru
08-08-2013, 07:38 PM

Agree. Last chance perhaps?

Rocco Jones
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM
Perhaps we see Roberts as a forward long term. With Jones coming back in and Talia out, it makes sense to bring in a defender.

I like Roberts but I am not so red hot on getting him in. It's his 2nd year, he is a pretty raw KP and has been injured. Without being a grandpa, patience is becoming a rarer commodity.

Go_Dogs
08-08-2013, 08:06 PM

Agreed with that, would seem a good opportunity to have played Fletch.

Besides that, I'm pretty happy to see Wood back and hope he can get some continuity with his footy to finish off the season. I still think he can become an important player for us next year.

Remi Moses
08-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I think the selections just show what an inexperienced playing group we have.
A couple of kids go out and are replaced with inexperienced players

Eastdog
08-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Hopefully Roberts can get his shot next week. Disappointed to see Talia out but can understand Macca's decision to give our young guys a rest.

azabob
08-08-2013, 08:29 PM
Perhaps we see Roberts as a forward long term. With Jones coming back in and Talia out, it makes sense to bring in a defender.

I like Roberts but I am not so red hot on getting him in. It's his 2nd year, he is a pretty raw KP and has been injured. Without being a grandpa, patience is becoming a rarer commodity.

Disappointed to see Talia out but can understand Macca's decision to give our young guys a rest.

Agree with both these statements completely.

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 08:33 PM
I prefer Roberts as a forward from what I've seen. Probably will end up being a swingman though.
As we know Austin's been in the best players in the vfl a fair bit so probably would feel hard done by not to get a go.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-08-2013, 08:34 PM
Agreed with that, would seem a good opportunity to have played Fletch.

Besides that, I'm pretty happy to see Wood back and hope he can get some continuity with his footy to finish off the season. I still think he can become an important player for us next year.

I doubt whether Wood has shown much form at Williamstown to justify being rushed back. Talia is a huge loss as he has become a reliable big defender in recent weeks. Austin has been playing well with Williamstown and deserves his spot although IMO this would have been the ideal week to bring Roberts in. I would hope that eventually Roughead and Roberts will alternate between back and forward.

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 08:38 PM
I doubt whether Wood has shown much form at Williamstown to justify being rushed back. Talia is a huge loss as he has become a reliable big defender in recent weeks. Austin has been playing well with Williamstown and deserves his spot although IMO this would have been the ideal week to bring Roberts in. I would hope that eventually Roughead and Roberts will alternate between back and forward.

Wood had 16 disposals and a goal in his first vfl game after a couple in the reserves and last week had 26 disposals and 8 marks.

Nuggety Back Pocket
08-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Wood had 16 disposals and a goal in his first vfl game after a couple in the reserves and last week had 26 disposals and 8 marks.

I am still to be convinced that Wood is in our best 22 if Talia Smith JJ Boyd and Roberts were all up and running. Like Williams and Higgins he is somewhat injury prone.
I also believe that he could be better suited to a wing given his pace. Wood is prone to make too many mistakes as a defender.

Eastdog
08-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Do you reckon Lin Jong could get a call up in the next few weeks. For those that have watched Willy how have you seem him come along.

Doc26
08-08-2013, 09:14 PM

Agreed. Wasted selection and one less week to get senior experience into Fletcher.

boydogs
08-08-2013, 09:38 PM

Isn't Roberts a forward?

azabob
08-08-2013, 09:48 PM
Isn't Roberts a forward?

He plays both back and forward in the VFL, so it appears his position is still undecided.

G-Mo77
08-08-2013, 10:09 PM

Poor ol' Austin. No one wants him in the team, he's been plying well from all reports and probably deserves his spot. Having said that he has no business being in the side at this stage of the season over Roberts.

Remi Moses
08-08-2013, 10:26 PM
He's in because Markovic's not the answer, Talia needs a spell and Roberts hasn't played many games back from injury.

F'scary
08-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Apparently, Austin has been playing well as a key defender for Willi for a number of weeks and has earned a call up with Talia needing r&r. Give the guy a go. End of story.

bornadog
08-08-2013, 11:21 PM
He's in because Markovic's not the answer, Talia needs a spell and Roberts hasn't played many games back from injury.

Roberts has played 5 games since his injury, 2 at development and three in the seniors.

LostDoggy
09-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Not sure where I should put this but.. little piece on Easton Wood

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-08-08/wood-is-good-eastons-long-road-back

And just a reminder of what Wood is capable of ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zWtSk8-LZ4

kruder
09-08-2013, 01:33 AM

Hear hear!

soupman
09-08-2013, 09:09 AM
You would imagine Wood will be the sub.

Be interesting to see how the forwardline goes with Jones, Campbell and Grant up there.

Happy Days
09-08-2013, 10:02 AM
Do you reckon Lin Jong could get a call up in the next few weeks. For those that have watched Willy how have you seem him come along.

I can tell you pretty reliably that he's not confident

The Underdog
09-08-2013, 10:33 AM
Poor ol' Austin. No one wants him in the team, he's been plying well from all reports and probably deserves his spot. Having said that he has no business being in the side at this stage of the season over Roberts.

The only reason I can think of that we picked Austin over Roberts is that we're trying to win and that we think Austin can play a particular role better than Roberts at this point.
Probably doesn't hurt that it's Carlton and that Austin spent up to 4 seasons going up against a lot of these guys in training.
I'm all for Roberts getting a shot, particularly forward, but this selection is not the end of the *!*!*!*!ing world.

always right
09-08-2013, 10:46 AM

Not confident about getting a call-up or not confident in general?

bornadog
09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
The only reason I can think of that we picked Austin over Roberts is that we're trying to win and that we think Austin can play a particular role better than Roberts at this point.
Probably doesn't hurt that it's Carlton and that Austin spent up to 4 seasons going up against a lot of these guys in training.
I'm all for Roberts getting a shot, particularly forward, but this selection is not the end of the *!*!*!*!ing world.

Do Carlton have any height up forward? That may also be in Austin's favour.

The Underdog
09-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Do Carlton have any height up forward? That may also be in Austin's favour.

They have Waite & Rowe/Warnock. He & Roughead will be the match ups there. Morris to Walker, Picken to one of Garlett or Betts. Not sure about Young.

Ghost Dog
09-08-2013, 11:34 AM
CARLTON
B: J.Bootsma, M.Jamison, L.Henderson
HB: Z.Tuohy, M.Watson, B.Gibbs
C: C.Yarran, C.Judd, K.Simpson
HF: E.Curnow, A.Walker, J.Garlett
F: B.McLean, S.Rowe, H.Scotland
R: R.Warnock, E.Betts, M.Murphy
I/C: D.Armfield, J.Cachia, T.Menzel, J.Waite
EMG: N.Graham, A.McInnes, M.Robinson
In: J.Waite, R.Warnock, T.Menzel, J.Bootsma
Out: A.Carrazzo (Calf), M.Kreuzer (Calf), K.Lucas (Omitted), M.Robinson (Omitted)

Probably one of the more flexible players in our back line, Young. Could slot into a few places there.

BornInDroopSt'54
09-08-2013, 11:54 AM

Austin will be playing against his old club. Players often fire up when so doing.

azabob
09-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Not confident about getting a call-up or not confident in general?

I take it that HD knows LJ and LJ doesn't think he wil play seniors this season.

Happy Days
09-08-2013, 12:26 PM
I take it that HD knows LJ and LJ doesn't think he wil play seniors this season.

Close enough

The Underdog
09-08-2013, 12:26 PM

It's tough to see us slotting him in at this point.

azabob
09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Close enough

It's tough to see us slotting him in at this point.

I think its hard to see him remaining with the club beyond this season.

The Underdog
09-08-2013, 12:40 PM
I think its hard to see him remaining with the club beyond this season.

Agree, I like him, but there's too many guys ahead of him who are better at the same things he's good at.

always right
09-08-2013, 12:55 PM
Agree, I like him, but there's too many guys ahead of him who are better at the same things he's good at.

I wouldn't write him off as I think he has enormous upside and physically could end up a really powerful midfielder in the mould of Griffen albeit not as talented or as quick. Another couple of pre-seasons and he could be a massive unit with the ability to cover the ground. He's certainly got the athletic frame. It's his disposal skills that need the most work.

Greystache
09-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't write him off as I think he has enormous upside and physically could end up a really powerful midfielder in the mould of Griffen albeit not as talented or as quick. Another couple of pre-seasons and he could be a massive unit with the ability to cover the ground. He's certainly got the athletic frame. It's his disposal skills that need the most work.

It's worth noting that Jong is the quickest player at the club, he beat all of Griffen, Cooney, Jones, and Dahlhaus during preseason testing.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't give him another year, this season has been a write off after breaking his leg in round 1, but he showed a lot of promise last year. Players of his size, speed, courage, and ball finding abilities are pretty rare, sure he needs some polishing but I think there's more to work with than many other players we've persisted with.

Cyberdoggie
09-08-2013, 01:49 PM
It's worth noting that Jong is the quickest player at the club, he beat all of Griffen, Cooney, Jones, and Dahlhaus during preseason testing.

I'd be disappointed if we didn't give him another year, this season has been a write off after breaking his leg in round 1, but he showed a lot of promise last year. Players of his size, speed, courage, and ball finding abilities are pretty rare, sure he needs some polishing but I think there's more to work with than many other players we've persisted with.

I agree with you there, He also appears to be of great character and deserves another go at it.

Our other rookies probably won't fare as well I think. This year we will have a bit of a clean out.
(ie they will get promoted or delisted.)

G-Mo77
09-08-2013, 01:55 PM

I'm not that upset about it...honestly. I was trying to be funny and use a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" quote. It seemed like a perfect place for it and hoped a few people caught on. No one did.

Pgd2w0SQEYI

LostDoggy
09-08-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm not that upset about it...honestly. I was trying to be funny and use a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" quote. It seemed like a perfect place for it and hoped a few people caught on. No one did.

Pgd2w0SQEYI

As they suggest in the video, too many people actually do that these days for it to be picked up as obvious satire.
I see what you were doing now though.

The Underdog
09-08-2013, 02:07 PM

Pgd2w0SQEYI

Yeah sorry that wasn't really aimed at you more the wider sentiment

G-Mo77
09-08-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah sorry that wasn't really aimed at you more the wider sentiment

Nah it's cool, having said that go jump! :D