PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 19

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
This is the round 17 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bulldogtragic
04-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Bankers:

Mitch - Super today. 29 touches and 13 tackles. Tells me he's working hard both ways. And he shut down one of the best mids (Kennedy), who was kept under 20. Super.

Grant - Another 90+ dream team points. 20 touches, 4 marks, 3 tackles, 3.0 goals and working hard all round. Just love watching him play.

Griffen - I thought about others, only because he's just so freakingly bloody good. But no, he should be captain. For me, he is starting to approach Chris Grant territory. Big call, but that's just me.

Anchors:

Squibbing it this week. There were some quiet games, but if I had less than 15 games, I'd be upset to be labelled an 'anchor'.

bornadog
04-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Bankers

*Griffen - Never ever stops this bloke he is a machine

* Wallis - Did a great job on one of the AFL's leading clearance players

* Grant - What a difference he has made to the forward line

(Sorry for copying Bulldogtragic)

Anchors

* Addison - I sound like a broken record, but I can't see he adds any value to the team. Give him 10 out of 10 for trying but just can't cut it at this level.

* Umpires - poor, pathetic -some shocking decisions resulting in goals to the Swans at the end of the third quarter and bang they gained the momentum.

* MC for not playing Stringer and he goes and breaks his ankle in the rain and slush at VFL level.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 06:16 PM
* MC for not playing Stringer and he goes and breaks his ankle in the rain and slush at VFL level.

What? Have I missed something?

Bankers

Griffen - no player in our side works harder.

Cross for being Cross.

Addison - Got to a lot of right spots today and is a strong overhead mark for his size. Led well up the ground off the flanks too.

Anchors

Minson for being in the goal square a couple of times, but in the wrong position to effect a spoil on the line. He should know better.

Missing set shots.

Another persistent issue we have is our need to bomb it long. At one stage Addison was surrounded by five Sydney players and whoever it was just popped it up in the air to him. It might be ugly, but sometimes we need to pull up, hold it up, go backwards or sideways until something else presents.

The bulldog tragician
04-08-2013, 06:17 PM
What? Have I missed something?

Say it ain't so :(:(:(

bornadog
04-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Say it ain't so :(:(:(

First reports yes, having x-rays tomorrow( According to Stevo)

Remi Moses
04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Murphy( just a sublimely gifted player)
Griffen ( just a star)
Libba( great game)
Wallis ( very good today)
Grant( bit tick to the coach, work rate has improved)
Anchors
Concentration ( in red time)
Cooney( that effort on young Jack in the last term was poor)
Sydney South Bloods fans( for us old enough they seem to have more fans now than when they were South Melbourne! Bizzare!

The bulldog tragician
04-08-2013, 06:38 PM
First reports yes, having x-rays tomorrow( According to Stevo)

Bulldogs twitter says he has been cleared of broken foot; further scans tomorrow. Hooray!

Bankers:

Griff who has had a magnificent season, all the more so as he has lacked quality support for much of it.

Murphy. Brilliant, creative, fearless.

Wallis and Grant renaissance. Great to see.

Anchors:

Remind me again how Tippet can get to the Swans?

Umpiring of the holding the ball rule

That costly two minutes at end of 3rd quarter really hurt. Deflating after one of the best quarters I've seen us play for a while, to go in 26 points down.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Murphy( just a sublimely gifted player)
Griffen ( just a star)
Libba( great game)
Wallis ( very good today)
Grant( bit tick to the coach, work rate has improved)
Anchors
Concentration ( in red time)
Cooney( that effort on young Jack in the last term was poor)
Sydney South Bloods fans( for us old enough they seem to have more fans now than when they were South Melbourne! Bizzare!

You mean less fans now?

Remi Moses
04-08-2013, 07:12 PM
You mean less fans now?

More fans than they had.
People like a winner

G-Mo77
04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Bankers

Mitch Wallis - Has really found his way after struggling to find his place. Fantastic effort on Kennedy today.

Jarrad Grant - Haven't been getting my hopes up on him, got to start believing after he put on his best performance.

Libba - ELITE!

Anchors

3 Quarter Redtime - So costly. :(

Our coaching staff - Got to start working with the players on throwing the head back, falling at the knees and just diving in general. The only way to get a free kick in modern football.

always right
04-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Anchors

* Addison - I sound like a broken record, but I can't see he adds any value to the team. Give him 10 out of 10 for trying but just can't cut it at this level.

Seriously? I guess who you choose as an anchor is your business but really Addison? Thought he was terrific today and made something out of nothing on several occasions. His physical presence is a real positive.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Bankers:

Griff

Grant

Wallis + Libba

All guns (i.e I'm too lazy to go into detail).

Anchors:

Umpire who denied Cross a goal- pulled a free kick out of his ass in the first quarter.

Third quarter red time - Killed the game dead, last quarter was pretty low intensity (cough cooney cough)

Jude Bolton - for running off while Bob was winded.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Seriously? I guess who you choose as an anchor is your business but really Addison? Thought he was terrific today and made something out of nothing on several occasions. His physical presence is a real positive.

Of course he was.

Sometimes it's too irresistible to keep flogging the dead horse.

Doc26
04-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Bankers

Mitch Wallis - Has really found his way after struggling to find his place. Fantastic effort on Kennedy today.

Mitch has come a very long way in a few weeks with his performances being lauded.

Nice summary of the game just posted up by Peter Hanlon from The Age
Peter Hanlon Game Summary (http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-match-report/dogs-hard-at-swans-heels-20130804-2r76i.html)

I was particularly struck by the bolded part, hopefully the boys (& Mitch) recognise this:

When not writing about Paul Kelly, coffee and his sausage dog, Western Bulldog minstrel and Age columnist Bob Murphy has been known to bring a smart footballer's insight to his writing. Last week he noted that good teams have lately found it harder to move the ball against his Dogs.

There was abundant further evidence of this mark of improvement on Sunday, although perhaps the most telling was missed by the Bulldogs, who couldn't see the collection of wincing, bruised and aching bodies in the winners' rooms immediately after a game that was far closer than the scoreboard indicated.

Josh Kennedy, the premier ball-winning beast in the competition's premier team, lay on his back with ice packing a hand and calf. He confessed to being ''cooked, absolutely cooked'', and he wasn't on his own.

Down the corridor Mitch Wallis was vomiting, his immediate reward for restricting Kennedy to 18 touches while racking up 29 of his own and laying a dozen tackles.

''I think it was the story of the day - the pressure they applied, I just felt like I had no room to move,'' Kennedy observed.

G-Mo77
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Nice to hear that Doc. Thanks for posting it.

bornadog
04-08-2013, 10:31 PM

Of course he was.

Sometimes it's too irresistible to keep flogging the dead horse.

Yes I am serious and no one is flogging a dead horse. He is averaging 10 disposals a game, lucky to be in the team, especially after last weeks woeful performance when he didn't lay a tackle and touched the ball 4 times in the second half. Similarly against the Hawks and today went missing for long periods. His total goal assists have been zero over the past 4 weeks and he has kicked four goals, which again isnot good enough.

For me he is holding back others from the team eg Stringer should have played not Addison.

always right
04-08-2013, 10:58 PM
B:
1. The coach. Love what I've seen the last four weeks. Hope those calling for his head have the integrity to give him some credit. Is it remotely possible he knows what he's doing?
2. Wallis. Really doubted where his development was going to come from. Hats off again to the coaching staff who have pulled the right lever with him the last few weeks.
3. Talia. White got hold of him a bit in the last but his first three quarters were outstanding. Credit to him for the work he's obviously been doing with the skills coaches on his kicking. Huge improvement in this area of his game.

A:
In a game where we had such a great team performance it's rough picking out some blokes but we really need Dickson to get rid of his poor decision making. He continues to want to kick banana's on the run when he has time to straighten up and nail the goal...as evidenced by his botched attempt in the second quarter. Even in the last when Cooney was scorching through the middle and Dickson's opponent ran to the square anticipating Cooney was going for home....all Dickson had to do was lead at Cooney. The fact he kicked a ripper later in the second quarter shows he has talent which makes some of his efforts all the more frustrating.

G-Mo77
04-08-2013, 11:07 PM
Yes I am serious and no one is flogging a dead horse. He is averaging 10 disposals a game, lucky to be in the team, especially after last weeks woeful performance when he didn't lay a tackle and touched the ball 4 times in the second half. Similarly against the Hawks and today went missing for long periods. His total goal assists have been zero over the past 4 weeks and he has kicked four goals, which again isnot good enough.

A classic case of stats not showing the full story....again. You are saying he was woeful last week because your stat sheet doesn't reflect what he actually did. A lot of things don't show up so you shouldn't think of a sheet post match as a bible.

If a player under 20 games did what Addison has done for the last few weeks you'd be jumping over the moon. He could come out with 20 and 10 next week and you'd still find something to moan about.

The Underdog
04-08-2013, 11:08 PM

You can't seriously be criticising the mc for not basing their selections on the ground conditions. What if he played consecutive games at Etihad and ended up with a stress fracture in his injured leg.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 11:13 PM

For me he is holding back others from the team eg Stringer should have played not Addison.

Serious question BAD, with what you have written above, how do you feel about Jones? This year his stats have been very low and tackle rate probably worst in the team? I'm not a massive Addison lover but he seems to put better up numbers than Jones, (in the last few weeks anyhow, when they have both been in).

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 11:17 PM
You can't seriously be criticising the mc for not basing their selections on the ground conditions. What if he played consecutive games at Etihad and ended up with a stress fracture in his injured leg.

I don't think he was implying this.

bornadog
04-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Serious question BAD, with what you have written above, how do you feel about Jones? This year his stats have been very low and tackle rate probably worst in the team? I'm not a massive Addison lover but he seems to put better up numbers than Jones, (in the last few weeks anyhow, when they have both been in).

I am also very worried about Jones this year, but the big difference is he is a tall and they take longer to mature. He also has youth on his side.

Every one has there own opinions about players, and mine is Addison is not in our best 22.

I will put this question to you.
If you had a choice of playing Hrovat or Addo who would you choose?

ratsmac
04-08-2013, 11:42 PM
BANKERS

Griffen - smart, elite, leader, fast. The only thing missing is a brownlow medal.
Libba - we are very blessed to have him
Wallis - pants Kennedy today. Super super effort.

ANCHORS

The ball - I can't remember a game where the ball bounced away from us so much and bounced into the oppositions favour so frigging much. They say you make your own luck in football but ffs we didn't get an ounce of luck today.
Cooney - or should I say fumbles. For such a good player he can let us down at times.
Tippet - how did the swans end up with this bloke.

LostDoggy
04-08-2013, 11:53 PM
I am also very worried about Jones this year, but the big difference is he is a tall and they take longer to mature. He also has youth on his side.

Every one has there own opinions about players, and mine is Addison is not in our best 22.

Addo out, Gia on and the Rat sub.

Scorlibo
05-08-2013, 12:09 AM

I think the better question is actually Jones or Addison, seeing as Dylan is pretty much playing as the forward target at the moment. I feel quite assured when Dyl is in the contest, and while at the game I'm quite pleased with him, to the point where when I get home and see his low stats count I'm very surprised. While he's still giving us 10 good disposals a week I'm inclined to keep him in the team.

Bankers:

The clearance kings: Liberatore and Griffen with 23 between them (wow).

The defensive midfielders: Cross and Wallis each playing crucial team roles whilst still working off their man.

Gia's soccer goal, has to be up there for goal of the year.

Anchors:

Roughy, was exposed today against the best forward. He lacks pace and when he doesn't have a clear physical advantage in other areas this seems to come to the fore.

Sydney's goal kicking - to think we beat them by 6 in the inside fifties, and you could count on one hand the number of easy scoring opportunities they were given.

Our defense - just building on the previous point, so many half opportunities became goals, especially the 3 goals late in the third quarter which sunk us. Defense 101 is having a player a quick snap shot off the play to mop up on the goal line. If it's a set shot, Big Will needs to be on that goal line and needs support to touch the ball. I can't understand why any goal should get through at waist height as was the case a couple of times today.

Doc26
05-08-2013, 12:27 AM
Defense 101 is having a player a quick snap shot off the play to mop up on the goal line. ...I can't understand why any goal should get through at waist height as was the case a couple of times today.

Agree with this observation. It has been a trend for the season which defensively we must address. Too often this season we are giving up goals that drop over a deepest defender who is forward of the goal square.

Sedat
05-08-2013, 01:39 AM
We don't have Wayne Carey or Chris Grant running around so I'm happy enough to have Addison competing hard and providing a target across half-forward. Think of him as an inferior but comparable version of Chris Mayne - I think he's been serviceable in the last month of footy. He gives a contest and provides some defensive pressure to help lock the ball in our forward 50. He also throws his weight around and makes sure the opposition know there is something to fear when the ball is in his vicinity.

Remi Moses
05-08-2013, 02:23 AM
Agree Sedat . He's no world beater, but gives a good contest and marks well.
I notice he always starts games well and fades.

chef
05-08-2013, 07:14 AM

I would rather Stringer earn it than get gifted games.

I liked DFA's game.

GVGjr
05-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Yep, the days of the free ride are over. Stringer is going to be a very good player for us but if he is not meeting the required standards then he will have to perform on the field with Williamstown until he does.

soupman
05-08-2013, 08:22 AM

I liked DFA's game.

Absolutely.

For all the talent he has Stringer atm is no where near matching Addisons defensive workrate and while he has more tricks than Addison isn't hurting teams enough offensively yet. Addison's role isn't to accumulate touches anyway, I'd much prefer others do that and Addison continues to play as a battering ram small tall forward who gives us some presence and a target up forward.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 08:37 AM

I liked DFA's game.

I'm willing to make special dispensation for Stringer. A player like him I believe needs senior games to develop. Watching junior and VFL highlights of him show he has it too much his own way against less talented opposition. So when he gets to the AFL his horsepower doesn't work as well then he seems lost on what to do next. Playing regular AFL (ideal would be something like a week in, a week out) would force evolution into his game.

Anyhow he seemed ok in that Willi highlight reel last week, I don't think a game this week would have been a gift?

The Underdog
05-08-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't think he was implying this.

Upon re-reading you're right. Put it down to me being exceptionally tired last night

Bankers:

Mitch Wallis - yep it's been said but that was a super impressive performance. Great to see a kid on the fringe keep working his butt off and play a role that well

Gia - not sure he could ever do it again but that goal will be one to remember him by

96 tackles. Just tremendous. Our physicality yesterday was brilliant. Bit scared we'll run out of legs next week.

Anchors:

Tory Dickson - kicked a ripper in the 2nd which made his ridiculous banana attempt 10 minutes earlier look even worse in comparison

I probably need to think a bit more, tough to pick out much to be overly critical of

bornadog
05-08-2013, 09:54 AM
Upon re-reading you're right. Put it down to me being exceptionally tired last night

I apologise for the way I wrote that. At the time I was not happy if it was a break and thought why did we play him in the VFL. Anyway, hopefully x-rays clear him today of any damage.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Anchor. Cooney's attempt in the last I think? Running out from the defensive 50, jetting it all the way to our 50, and just not having the legs to get it over the line. I never wanted a ball to go through as much as I did that one. It would have been on his career highlight reel.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Anchor. Cooney's attempt in the last I think? Running out from the defensive 50, jetting it all the way to our 50, and just not having the legs to get it over the line. I never wanted a ball to go through as much as I did that one. It would have been on his career highlight reel.

Brilliant run ducking and weaving they couldn't catch him. Too bad there wasn't a half decent big forward providing him a lead.

always right
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
Brilliant run ducking and weaving they couldn't catch him. Too bad there wasn't a half decent big forward providing him a lead.

Or a half decent small forward for that matter. Dickson was the only bloke ahead of him.

Ghost Dog
05-08-2013, 11:18 AM

But he's taking the game on and that's what we want to and need to see. Testing his limits with the legs. Learn from that.

Greystache
05-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Bankers

Wallis- Outstanding preformance, shut down a gun and hurt them going the other way. His hands in close are very good and his decision making is much better under immediate pressure. Hopefully this role is the making of him because he has such a massive amount to offer the club off the field.

Griffen- His work rate and consistently is remarkable for a player that spent so much of his career playing only in bursts. His development over the past 2 years has been amazing.

Campbell- Faded as the game went on and needs another couple of preseasons but I've been really impressed with him since the first game I saw him play. His physicality, marking, and subtle touches for such a young ruckman bode well for his future.

Anchors

Again nothing to dwell on too much, but that end of quarter lapse in the 3rd really hurt.

Also not getting a hand on the ball in the goal square several times was just poor. Once he gets his fitness to the level required this is an area I think Campbell can add something we don't have.

Not an anchor as such, but McCrae looks coooked after a long first season.

Ozza
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Bankers

Wallis- Outstanding preformance, shut down a gun and hurt them going the other way. His hands in close are very good and his decision making is much better under immediate pressure. Hopefully this role is the making of him because he has such a massive amount to offer the club off the field.

Griffen- His work rate and consistently is remarkable for a player that spent so much of his career playing only in bursts. His development over the past 2 years has been amazing.

Campbell- Faded as the game went on and needs another couple of preseasons but I've been really impressed with him since the first game I saw him play. His physicality, marking, and subtle touches for such a young ruckman bode well for his future.

Anchors

Again nothing to dwell on too much, but that end of quarter lapse in the 3rd really hurt.

Also not getting a hand on the ball in the goal square several times was just poor. Once he gets his fitness to the level required this is an area I think Campbell can add something we don't have.

Not an anchor as such, but McCrae looks coooked after a long first season.

Agree with all of those comments 'stache.

Just on Macrae...agree he has looked out of legs for a while now...probably since and including the GWS game. But he had a really good passage of play where he did 3 or 4 tough things in a row which culminated with him winning a holding the ball free kick.

Although very light - I don't think there will be any issues with him for bravery.

Also, on Campbell - although he will take a while - I agree he will be really good down the track. It may mean he plays almost every game in the VFL next year due to Minson being no.1 - but I expect by 25 years of age he will become a fully fledged ruckman for us.

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 03:03 PM
But he's taking the game on and that's what we want to and need to see. Testing his limits with the legs. Learn from that.

Let me clarify my anchor.
My anchor is the Dirty Sherrin not traveling another 8-10m, not the run.

Happy Days
05-08-2013, 03:13 PM
Bankers

Griffen for being great at football, he is officially untaggable.

The intensity of the team. The emphasis on contested footy and strength is starting to become more apparent, the standard of tackling has been set. If we were playing against a team with less than 5 blue chip mids at every contest (read: any other team), I couldn't see us losing a single clearance with effort like that.

Wallis' job on Kennedy. Someone said elsewhere that he could become Ling mk.2. No way; Ling could never do the damage the other way that Wallis has the potential to do.

Anchors

Roughead for getting 6 goals kicked on him. Some were from silver service but some more were because he wasn't quick/agile/good enough.

Forwards running under the football. Back back into a contest, please, just once (and Jones didn't even play!)

The extra $900k in their salary cap that bought them Tippett.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Anchors

Agree with this as we lost the centre clearances. However, there were two crucial umpiring non- decisions that effected this.

1. In the goal square, when Mumford grabbed the ball freom Griffen and kicked the goal, notice in the background Cooney being dragged to the ground as he tried to lunge forward towards the contest.

2. After the ball went back to the centre, and the Swans won the clearance, (can't remember the players), we tackled a Swans player, wrapping both hands around them and the Swans player let go of the ball with one hand and punched it with the other. This was throwing the ball but the umpire let it go. It wasn't a case of the ball spilling from a tackle, the Swans player tried to hand ball, but used different hands. (if you get my drift).

Incorrect disposal in the AFL has gone out the door.

Both these resulted in goals in the last 2 minutes of the quarter.

G-Mo77
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
Incorrect disposal in the AFL has gone out the door.

I've noticed something recently when a player is tackled and being thrown side on he (or she) will drop the ball on the ground and then kick it while lying down or on the way down. I saw it happen twice in Friday's game, both were play on.

I'm really fed up with the rules and the way the game is being umpired. I used to watch AFL as much as possible over the weekend, now I'd be lucky to watch 1 full neutral game. If it wasn't for the Bulldogs being in the league I doubt I'd have much interest or any at all.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I've noticed something recently when a player is tackled and being thrown side on he (or she) will drop the ball on the ground and then kick it while lying down or on the way down. I saw it happen twice in Friday's game, both were play on.

I'm really fed up with the rules and the way the game is being umpired. I used to watch AFL as much as possible over the weekend, now I'd be lucky to watch 1 full neutral game. If it wasn't for the Bulldogs being in the league I doubt I'd have much interest or any at all.

same ...... AFL has been wrecked by all the changes.

EasternWest
05-08-2013, 06:53 PM

In the West Coast game, Dahlhaus dropped the ball when he got tackled and kicked it off the ground for a goal. I think it was during the passage of play where Grant ran with the flight of the ball.

I can't believe we didn't hear more about that.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 11:31 PM

Here are some examples of great tackling and no reward.

O_VgyjB9fII&feature=share&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA

Love the Cooney hit.

Ghost Dog
06-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Love the Cooney hit.

I'm immensely proud of the lads. That video highlights just how hard they worked. I'm more pleased with the growth seen in that loss than the result of some iffy wins in the past. Their side has an extra million dollars to buy players remember?

the Murphy molest and pick pocket was sensational

G-Mo77
06-08-2013, 09:38 AM
In the West Coast game, Dahlhaus dropped the ball when he got tackled and kicked it off the ground for a goal. I think it was during the passage of play where Grant ran with the flight of the ball.

It doesn't count when we do it. :p

I'll have to watch it again, sounds familiar though. It's holding the ball as far as I'm concerned.

comrade
06-08-2013, 09:51 AM

Love the Cooney hit.

I just felt some movement.

LostDoggy
06-08-2013, 10:04 AM

It does look like a drop, but can you be 100% sure there wasn't a hand knocking the ball free? I've watched it about 6 times and I can't tell. If so that is dispossessed in the tackle with no prior, play on, soccer goal, dogs go on to claim the 4pts, everyone's a winner, woofers happy.

always right
06-08-2013, 10:10 AM
I reckon Dalhaus's was clearly incorrect disposal but I'll take one decision going our way for a change.

EasternWest
06-08-2013, 10:11 AM
It does look like a drop, but can you be 100% sure there wasn't a hand knocking the ball free? I've watched it about 6 times and I can't tell. If so that is dispossessed in the tackle with no prior, play on, soccer goal, dogs go on to claim the 4pts, everyone's a winner, woofers happy.

If you've watched it six times and can't tell, then all the umpire can surely see as he watches live is a tackle and dropped ball.

If that happened up the other end, I would be angry. This board would go into meltdown.

LostDoggy
06-08-2013, 02:07 PM
If you've watched it six times and can't tell, then all the umpire can surely see as he watches live is a tackle and dropped ball.

If that happened up the other end, I would be angry. This board would go into meltdown.

Or all the umpire sees live is the ball being dispossessed in the tackle and play on? But I'll agree that if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be unhappy.

EasternWest
06-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Or all the umpire sees live is the ball being dispossessed in the tackle and play on? But I'll agree that if the shoe was on the other foot I'd be unhappy.

Yeah, that's fair enough too.

I dunno, umpires miss a lot in games, and maybe I'm not blinded by one eyed passion, but I thought the umpiring was ok on the weekend.

w3design
06-08-2013, 04:57 PM

Many of the rule changes over recent years have added absolutely nothing to the game, other than a lot of unnecessary new rules , plus mass confusion for both players and fans alike.
But for mine, the bigger problem is the constant changing interpretations, even when a rule is not altered, how it is umpired is pretty much the equivalent of a new rule in effect.

Since when was it ok to dispose of the ball 'incorrectly'? Week in and week out we see balls dropped or thrown one handed by players when tackled. This aside from when a ball is jarred free in the tackle [ which is and should be play on], but as soon as players are tackled these days they simply let go of the ball, and are not penalised. It happens at least 5 times a quarter, the non officiating both penalises the good tackle, and usually leads to ugly scrimmages on the ground.