PDA

View Full Version : Three Things I've Learned - Round 19 Edition

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Here we go again, once the match against the Swans is completed post the three things you've learned as a result of the game.

Be constructive but be honest.

Ghost Dog
04-08-2013, 05:09 PM
1. We are are running out the year strongly. A credit to the fitness staff.

2. Our midfield is exceptional, given how young they are, and how late in the season it is.

3. Our numbers around the ball strategy can hurt us badly on the rebound.

Hotdog60
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
1. Stats wise we matched it with the Swans, next year will be interesting.

2. Tom Campbell did a good job today, but he's a lot like Minno.

3. We have the seeds planted, just wait for the team to grow.

always right
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
1. There are losses....and there are losses. That could well have been the best six goal loss I've seen.
2. Tom Campbell could be a valuable back up for Will. Enjoyed his ruck work and impressed that he made every foray forward a contest.
3. Tutt and Grant have saved their careers at the dogs with their recent performances.

The bulldog tragician
04-08-2013, 05:52 PM
1. We're on track - i can really see a good side in the making. Improvement over the last few weeks has been quite stunning, especially since we've had an unsettled line up through a spate of injuries. We would have beaten teams outside the top 4 playing like that.

2. Holding the ball is apparently officially dead as a rule. Unless you're Lachie Hunter in one of those WTF decisions in the 2nd quarter.

3. Tom Campbell knows how to compete, use his height and bulk, and somehow we straightened up and looked for him in a way that we don't with Jones, and for more obvious reasons, Cordy. Could be a very handy addition for us.

EasternWest
04-08-2013, 06:22 PM
We're a significantly better side when an interested Grant is in the team.

We're learning to spread and overlap when we've got the ball. It makes our footy mush more attractive.

I've got a little man-crush on Lachie Hunter.

chef
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
We're a significantly better side when an interested Grant is in the team.

We're learning to spread and overlap when we've got the ball. It makes our footy mush more attractive.

I've got a little man-crush on Lachie Hunter.

I've got a big man crush on Lachie, going to be quite the player.

GVGjr
04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
1) Despite the loss I think we are heading in the right direction and have unearthed some exciting players.

2) A 5 minute lapse against a top side can cost you in a close game.

3) The match committee need to do a better job at selling the reasons and vision behind the selections. Too many of our fans question their competency when in fact they have made the right ones. Our selections appear to be more around making the youngsters earn their spots rather than being given a game just because of the age.

Nuggety Back Pocket
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
1. Wallis effort as a tag on Kennedy was excellent and has certainly emerged as a key on ball tagger.
2. Grant in the space of 4 weeks has become our most productive forward.
3. The decision to play Campbell as a back up to Minson was long overdue. Good teams play two ruckmen. We need to do likewise.

soupman
05-08-2013, 08:24 AM
Tom Campbell has improved significantly since his Richmond performance earlier in the year. I was really pleased with his ability to not get forced out of the contest but instead have some kind of impact every time it can near him (unlike Cordy). Very pleased with his efforts.

The Doctor
05-08-2013, 09:02 AM
* Swans will win the premiership. They still have Goodes, Jetta, Rohan, Reid & LRT to come back in.
* Cooney's hands when under pressure is suspect
* Campbell gave us structure up forward. we must persist with him for the remainder of the season

azabob
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
* Swans will win the premiership. They still have Goodes, Jetta, Rohan, Reid & LRT to come back in.

I tend to agree Doc. My only concern is Goodes, Jetta and Reid are still 3-4 weeks away. So perhaps they all won't be back?

LostDoggy
05-08-2013, 09:41 AM
* Cooney's hands when under pressure is suspect* Campbell gave us structure up forward. we must persist with him for the remainder of the season

It was like two people were playing out there yesterday both wearing the same jumper. I agree some of his ball handling was inexplicably poor and a couple of tackles no better. Yet, just when you think he might be struggling he does something brilliant.

At the game's end I couldn't work out whether he had played well of poorly.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 09:57 AM
It was like two people were playing out there yesterday both wearing the same jumper. I agree some of his ball handling was inexplicably poor and a couple of tackles no better. Yet, just when you think he might be struggling he does something brilliant.

At the game's end I couldn't work out whether he had played well of poorly.

I thought he played a brilliant game yesterday. Yes he made a couple of errors here and there but overall, his ball use was fantastic (76% efficiency, Griffen 63%). His run through the centre was like the Cooney of 2008, unfortunately he was tired and fluffed the kick into the 50.

Ozza
05-08-2013, 10:12 AM
I thought he played a brilliant game yesterday. Yes he made a couple of errors here and there but overall, his ball use was fantastic (76% efficiency, Griffen 63%). His run through the centre was like the Cooney of 2008, unfortunately he was tired and fluffed the kick into the 50.

I would have said Cooney had a brilliant first half and very poor second half. Its alright to quote efficiency stats...but what about his two miserable efforts deep in defence that leaked goals (v Bolton, and v B.Jack). What about his lack of care from deep in defence late in the third quarter when he kicked to a stationery target (Grant I think) who had Jesse White on his hammer and set up to mark easily. And the several fumbles/over running of the ball.

It was a mixed performance.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I would have said Cooney had a brilliant first half and very poor second half. Its alright to quote efficiency stats...but what about his two miserable efforts deep in defence that leaked goals (v Bolton, and v B.Jack). What about his lack of care from deep in defence late in the third quarter when he kicked to a stationery target (Grant I think) who had Jesse White on his hammer and set up to mark easily. And the several fumbles/over running of the ball.

It was a mixed performance.

The Jack one happened in front of me. The ball just bounced the wrong way and he was caught out. Yes I acknowledge he made a few errors, but I can pick every player on the team and show you errors.

always right
05-08-2013, 11:03 AM
The Jack one happened in front of me. The ball just bounced the wrong way and he was caught out. Yes I acknowledge he made a few errors, but I can pick every player on the team and show you errors.

Thank god it wasn't Addison who made the errors Cooney did eh? :)

Maddog37
05-08-2013, 12:38 PM
We cannot afford to haveCooney dragged deep into defense. It is a two fold problem, he cant(won't?) defend and we lose his attack out of the middle. It is crazy seeing him one out against Jude Bolton in the square.

bornadog
05-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Thank god it wasn't Addison who made the errors Cooney did eh? :)

Addison can't get hands on the ball.:D

Bulldog4life
05-08-2013, 01:55 PM
We cannot afford to haveCooney dragged deep into defense. It is a two fold problem, he cant(won't?) defend and we lose his attack out of the middle. It is crazy seeing him one out against Jude Bolton in the square.

Yep love Coons....but not in the backline.

1. Wallis will be a very good player for us for many years.

2. I like Campbell in the forward line.

3. Our tackling just gets better and better.

comrade
05-08-2013, 02:28 PM
1. Grant gets to the right spots time and again. It seems his tank and his work rate have finally reached a level that will provide him with consistently good performances. There's no one better in our team when the ball is on the ground 30m from goal.

2. Roughy needs our midfield to help him or else he'll be carved up against good leading key forwards. Some of the delivery to Tippett was unstoppable but Roughy's lack of burst speed gave him no chance.

3. Wallis could be the next Cameron Ling. Big bodied, tireless worker, great defensive skills and can accumulate his own possessions. This role change will be the making of him.

Remi Moses
05-08-2013, 02:43 PM
1. We've got the tough aspect of a game well in hand
2. Need to kick our goals easier, and learn to play transition football
3 . One team played at 94% the other at 100 with another 900 on top!
Give us a TRUE even playing field AFL!!

Happy Days
05-08-2013, 03:02 PM
1. Dropping the ball is officially no longer a rule for the sake of making the game quicker, making the decision to cap interchanges totally stupid.

2. The Swans midfield depth is ridiculous, and you can't cover all the bases. Wallis beat Kennedy, their consensus best mid pre-season, hands down, Hannebery did nothing, and Picken smashed Mitchell, but O'Keefe and Jack did us in. Unfair.

3. At this pace, Grant would have kicked 50+ had he played from round one. The guy leading the Coleman has ~59. Just saying.

always right
05-08-2013, 03:09 PM
1. Dropping the ball is officially no longer a rule for the sake of making the game quicker, making the decision to cap interchanges totally stupid.

2. The Swans midfield depth is ridiculous, and you can't cover all the bases. Wallis beat Kennedy, their consensus best mid pre-season, hands down, Hannebery did nothing, and Picken smashed Mitchell, but O'Keefe and Jack did us in. Unfair.

3. At this pace, Grant would have kicked 50+ had he played from round one. The guy leading the Coleman has ~59. Just saying.

O'Keefe?....you mean the bloke playing on Libba?

Happy Days
05-08-2013, 03:14 PM
O'Keefe?....you mean the bloke playing on Libba?

Libba was great but so was O'Keefe. I'm not saying he won the contest, just that he was good too.

Templeton31
05-08-2013, 03:18 PM
1. Libba can handle the attention he's getting. For a 3rd year player/ 20 year old he is unbelievable.

2. Starting to think I can put the words "Grant" and "work rate" together in a positive sense!

3. Footy is worth following again for a Dogs supporter. This time last year I was glancing at the fixture and predicting (correctly) 10 goal losses, avoiding the media/papers and longing for the finals so I could be interested in the footy again without disappointment. Contrast this with this year where I think we are a chance every game, I went out of my way to get the papers this morning (even though we lost) and I reckon I'll be disappointed when the season ends and I don't get to see the dogs play each week.

comrade
05-08-2013, 03:23 PM
1. Libba can handle the attention he's getting. For a 3rd year player/ 20 year old he is unbelievable.

2. Starting to think I can put the words "Grant" and "work rate" together in a positive sense!

3. Footy is worth following again for a Dogs supporter. This time last year I was glancing at the fixture and predicting (correctly) 10 goal losses, avoiding the media/papers and longing for the finals so I could be interested in the footy again without disappointment. Contrast this with this year where I think we are a chance every game, I went out of my way to get the papers this morning (even though we lost) and I reckon I'll be disappointed when the season ends and I don't get to see the dogs play each week.

Supporters can handle losing if we play a game style that is tough, attractive and obvious in its progression.

Last year and for the first 14/15 rounds of this year, we were playing the ugliest style of football in the competition. Internally we were building towards something but for the average fan, it wasn't apparent.

Thankfully, the playing group has shifted to a more effective style of football and we're seeing the rewards. Like you, I'm looking forward to each game for the rest of the year despite the likelihood of a loss.

Hotdog60
05-08-2013, 07:19 PM
It's good to see it all warm and fuzzy on here again.:D

The Underdog
05-08-2013, 07:25 PM
1. We have become a team that can physically compete with other teams if we want to

2. We can kick goals again. Good to see us compete AND make the scoreboard tick over.

3. We suck less than we did 4 weeks ago. Let's see if we can run out the last 4 weeks and win a couple.

KT31
06-08-2013, 01:23 AM
1. We have become a team that can physically compete with other teams if we want to

2. We can kick goals again. Good to see us compete AND make the scoreboard tick over.

3. We suck less than we did 4 weeks ago. Let's see if we can run out the last 4 weeks and win a couple.

All big positives being a younger side, especially the first point.

mighty_west
06-08-2013, 09:28 AM
1. Wallis has shut some of his critics up and proven he can play at this level, like Jobe Watson, Dane Swan, Josh Kennedy etc will become a consistent quality mid in the future imho.

2. Jarrad Grant can play, as he has proven over the past month, his set shots for goal haven't improved but if he can continue what he's doing on a consistent basis with the work rate he's displaying, watch out opposition defenders, someone that quick with those hands and decision making who can play tall or small (brilliant crumbing goals playing front and square) really could have that Steve Johnson style x-factor.

3. Whether or not Macca can coach, his methods and philosophy will turn this club into a dangerous hard nosed Swannies/Geelong type of team with players who walk in the door have no choice but to buy into this "cracking in" game plan which I can't believe how some supporters sook over this method, it's proven year after year this wins big finals games, and anyone with half a footy brain can acknowledge.

Go dogs. :)

Ghost Dog
06-08-2013, 09:35 AM
Well, I will admit I've been critical of the Coach's match-day decisions in the past. I've never had a problem with the focus on contested ball. It was more the lack of skills that concerned me. Looks much improved on all fronts now.
The good thing about this game style is it makes it much easier for our back 6.

mighty_west
06-08-2013, 09:47 AM
Well, I will admit I've been critical of the Coach's match-day decisions in the past. I've never had a problem with the focus on contested ball. It was more the lack of skills that concerned me. Looks much improved on all fronts now.
The good thing about this game style is it makes it much easier for our back 6. It's like the ball has to pass through multiple filters before it exits the contest.

I reckon alot of that has to do with learning this style of play from the training track to game day and it seems to be a style of full concentration for 120 minutes of any game, that's going to take some time to get players fitness levels up to scratch, we saw how well we applied this on the weekend and how relentless the Swans were, this is what we are building our game on, as a result players like Wallis were spewing their guts out after the game.

We all know when fitness levels drop off so do the skill levels, I just believe we simply are nowhere near fit enough, we certainly wearn't last season to follow this game style which is why it's going to take time.