PDA

View Full Version : A message from brendan mccartney- rd 19

SlimPickens
07-08-2013, 03:50 PM
6 August 2013

This week, I was pleased with how we weren't in any shape or form, without showing disrespect, afraid of cracking in against Sydney. Our willingness to go back to the ball and compete and take stronger bodies on, head on, was a positive to take from the game. I enjoyed seeing a growing belief in people wanting the ball in their hands forward of centre and wanting to create things and score. I really enjoyed at times seeing us make it hard for Sydney to move the ball. And then I really didn't like how easy we were to play against in the last 35 minutes and we shouldn't accept that, ever.

Our effort and desire to tackle the opposition head on was great but Sydney won the four points and they were prepared to pay the price to win the four points. Sydney were prepared to pay a heavier price in the last 35 minutes than us and we can't lose sight of that. It's one thing for people to comment that Sydney were sore and bruised after they played us, but the reality is they still won the game. It's a bit like the week before, when Adelaide won all these indicators but Fremantle still beat them. It's about applying what we did, all day and everyone being prepared to pay a physical and mental price to get the result for our Club and that is where we are heading and we are not backing away from it. We want to get better, we want to win games and we want to be respected as a Club who plays for four quarters against whoever is on the field and wherever we are playing.

I've mentioned before, we are seeing a real connection between our training, not just in the past month but our training over 18 months, which we are now seeing transferred out on the field and we are being able to do it for longer. This gives confidence to two groups of people, our players and our supporters, that progress is being made but the second we think we are making nice progress and we are on our way and start thinking too much about that, that is the second you are losing focus and your workrate is dropping and your effort is dropping without you even noticing it. We have to keep hammering away, keep looking for ruthless people who just hate being beaten.

Carlton are a very competitive club, their basics of the game are very good, their contest is good, their commitment to defending has markedly improved. On Saturday, we know we have a big challenge on our hands. Our aim this week is to maintain the intensity that we showed for three quarters last week for longer and give ourselves a chance to win another game of footy.

See you at the game,

Brendan

SlimPickens
07-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Very honest appraisal by BM. Think he summed the game up very well.

Greystache
07-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Strong message. I think we're starting to see the full evolution starting to come through.

Bulldog4life
07-08-2013, 04:34 PM
My favourite message from the coach.

bulldogtragic
07-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Times Two

LostDoggy
07-08-2013, 05:50 PM
6 August 2013
We have to keep hammering away, keep looking for ruthless people who just hate being beaten.

It is going to be an interesting delisting/trade/draft period. BMac/Dalrymple/JMac have some recruiting runs on the board already, my money is on them to do it again.

There seems to be a shift up in intensity in Mac's letter this week. He's certainly flagged that he won't be taking his foot off the accelerator, and that doesn't expect the players to either. If I was a Carlton person, I would be expecting a serious serving of what the Swans got, plus!

westdog54
07-08-2013, 05:54 PM

Times Two

Its been clearly established that near enough is not good enough and that losing a winnable game will not be accepted. Like it. Like it a lot.

LostDoggy
07-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Agreed

KT31
07-08-2013, 06:51 PM

I agree, and this month has been a much more enjoyable month to be a Doggies supporter, but we must not get complacent.

The bulldog tragician
07-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Its been clearly established that near enough is not good enough and that losing a winnable game will not be accepted. Like it. Like it a lot.

One of the strongest indications I've seen that BMac is very much the right one for our club to build real long lasting success. Great message this week.

F'scary
07-08-2013, 10:19 PM
I like a coach who talks about going into every game with a view to winning it. Go Macca.

Remi Moses
08-08-2013, 01:01 AM
Good that he's talking about winning. I like the message

The Doctor
08-08-2013, 10:47 AM
One of the better messages. I like the strong sense of conviction.

soupman
08-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Loving the feeling of us hunting for as many wins at the tail end of the season with a squad made largely of kids and with many best 22 players out for the rest of the year. It feels much better to be activily competetive than limping towards the end of the year using the "giving youngsters a go" excuse and generally being shit.

Ozza
08-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Hopefully we can win at least 2 more games to finish the year...Gold Coast have Melb, GWS and St.Kilda in the last 4 - so we are going to finish 15th pretty much regardless now as St.Kilda won't win another game.

always right
08-08-2013, 11:11 AM
Hopefully we can win at least 2 more games to finish the year...Gold Coast have Melb, GWS and St.Kilda in the last 4 - so we are going to finish 15th pretty much regardless now as St.Kilda won't win another game.

Happy that this is pretty much locked in now....otherwise we would be in the god-awful position of wanting to win but being more concerned about finishing below St Kilda from a draft perspective. Now I can barrack my lungs out for a win without any conflicting voices in the back of my head.

LostDoggy
08-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Happy that this is pretty much locked in now....otherwise we would be in the god-awful position of wanting to win but being more concerned about finishing below St Kilda from a draft perspective. Now I can barrack my lungs out for a win without any conflicting voices in the back of my head.

Agree. One rung up the draft ladder is not worth sacrificing something that has taken us many years to instill.

westdog54
08-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Had been thinking that myself until the Eagles win and StKilda's dismal form.

With our worst case scenario being pick 5 I think we should go flat out for the last 4 weeks.

Happy Days
08-08-2013, 12:43 PM

Reckon he SPEWED UP after the game?

westdog54
08-08-2013, 12:54 PM
Reckon he SPEWED UP after the game?

Was more imagining Richie on The 12th Man's Final Dig Album

bulldogsthru&thru
09-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Loving the feeling of us hunting for as many wins at the tail end of the season with a squad made largely of kids and with many best 22 players out for the rest of the year. It feels much better to be activily competetive than limping towards the end of the year using the "giving youngsters a go" excuse and generally being shit.

Much better than not trying and asking for handouts from the AFL! When will that club get the message!