PDA

View Full Version : Match Committee- Round 21 vs Adelaide

Greystache
10-08-2013, 05:12 PM
If you were on the match committee what changes would you make for next Saturday's game against Adelaide at Etihad?

As usual a brief explanation for your changes would be good for discussions.

Greystache
10-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Some players likely to return but changes may be difficult.

GVGjr
10-08-2013, 08:48 PM
I don't see a lot of sense in bringing back Boyd given the way we are performing in the middle

In: Stringer (if fit enough) and Talia
Out: Austin and Addison

Greystache
10-08-2013, 08:54 PM
I don't see a lot of sense in bringing back Boyd given the way we are performing in the middle

That's what I'd go with too. Austin played probably his best game for the club but Talia is a better player. I think Stringer will compliment our current set up nicely.

LostDoggy
10-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Stringer could really turn the headache Grant has created into a full blown migraine for the opposition. Especially still having Gia, Dolly, Jones etc. to worry about.

Go_Dogs
10-08-2013, 09:13 PM

I think that's about right. Wouldn't mind finding a way to squeeze Hunter in too but hard to displace anyone else.

I actually thought Addison was OK today just couldn't finish in front of goal.

bornadog
10-08-2013, 09:54 PM
I would like to see how the boys go tomorrow at Willi before a guess.

LostDoggy
10-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Unchanged, I thought we had 22 solid contributors, perhaps it's time to stick with it.

Doc26
10-08-2013, 10:57 PM
I would like to see how the boys go tomorrow at Willi before a guess.

This is reasonable thinking particularly given we have been keen to get Fletcher in before the season ends.

In: Talia, Roberts, Stringer (subject to fitness)
Out: Austin, Dickson, Addison

westbulldog
11-08-2013, 12:40 AM
In Talia
Out Austin (who did ok)

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 01:20 AM
I'd love to see some sort of stat on how many posters call for Addison out yet he keeps his spot.

Unchanged.

Happy Days
11-08-2013, 05:15 AM
I'd love to see some sort of stat on how many posters call for Addison out yet he keeps his spot.

Unchanged.

He's a beneficiary of all of the youngsters being cooked, he was absolutely hideous today.

chef
11-08-2013, 07:28 AM
He's a beneficiary of all of the youngsters being cooked, he was absolutely hideous today.

Thought he presented well, only his finishing let him down.

stefoid
11-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Boyd if fit, in for Cross - gives more spread.

Taia for Austin.

bornadog
11-08-2013, 09:50 AM
I think Boyd will come back in so need to factor that.

Hotdog60
11-08-2013, 09:53 AM
Addison has developed into another Mitch Hahn type player. Not quick, crashes packs and reasonable overhead.
Mitch would split the packs better but Dylan doesn't shy away from the contest. When Stringer develops more Dylan will play more in the 2nds than the 1sts.

The advantage Dylan has is he is depth forward and back.

Go_Dogs
11-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Thought he presented well, only his finishing let him down.

Agreed. Could've had 3 goals in the first half and we'd have been talking up his performance. I rated his efforts again yesterday and its more often the contest he creates, the defensive positioning, the stuff without the ball.

Hotdog is spot on though that Stringer seems to be the bloke who'll be able to play that role and force Dylan out of the side next year.

westbulldog
11-08-2013, 12:33 PM

I couldn't agree less.

Happy Days
11-08-2013, 03:47 PM
I couldn't agree less.

0.3, only 7 touches, and ran under the ball contest after contest. What did you like about his game?

Rocco Jones
11-08-2013, 04:04 PM
I think Boyd will come in playing a different role. We saw him play forward a bit against the Eagles.

Thought Austin was Ok yesterday but Talia is younger and better, the calls you make when your team rises about crud!

I would bring in Hunter with Macrae, Hrovat and Stringer not playing. Not saying Addison is bad etc, bit like the call above.

In- Boyd, Talia, Hunter
Out- Cross, Austin, Addison

bornadog
11-08-2013, 04:47 PM
0.3, only 7 touches, and ran under the ball contest after contest. What did you like about his game?

Couldn't agree more, then some would say they are not surprised. I don't have it in for him, and I don't see him as a scapegoat. All I see is a plodder who does give 120% but just doesn't seem to have the skills. He isnot in our best 22.

Rocco Jones
11-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Couldn't agree more, then some would say they are not surprised. I don't have it in for him, and I don't see him as a scapegoat. All I see is a plodder who does give 120% but just doesn't seem to have the skills. He isnot in our best 22.

I see him as a guy who takes a spot if 22 blokes aren't doing the right things. He is very much limited to the defensive forward role. This is how his strengths/weaknesses in the role.

Strengths
- Overhead marking
- Concentration/work rate into trying to make it a tough day for quality HBs

Weaknesses
- finding the ball, often only gets it 7-10 times putting pressure on him either hitting the scoreboard or massively shutting down his opponent
- isn't great at taking his chances (really needs to considering how little he gets of it)
- hasn't got great explosive speed
- not really a natural crumber/goal sneak

Just lacks a tool. If he had great pace or was a dead eye shot for goal he'd be valuable in the role, such a small margin for the error.

Scorlibo
11-08-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't see the urgency with Stringer. Let him rest up and work hard at Willy. We could even start his pre-season a bit earlier - he sure needs it.

In: Hrovat (presuming he's okay).
Out: Addison.

Let Talia battle for a spot at Willy and work on his kicking, I'm still very skeptical on his future. At this stage I'm so much more comfortable with Austin in the side.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2013, 07:30 PM
I don't see the urgency with Stringer. Let him rest up and work hard at Willy. We could even start his pre-season a bit earlier - he sure needs it.

In: Hrovat (presuming he's okay).
Out: Addison.

Let Talia battle for a spot at Willy and work on his kicking, I'm still very skeptical on his future. At this stage I'm so much more comfortable with Austin in the side.

Can't agree with you there. Reckon he will be a 200 gamer for us.

Scorlibo
11-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Can't agree with you there. Reckon he will be a 200 gamer for us.

I think he's a great person and that 200 games is on the table but he desperately needs to work one some things before becoming a genuine best 22 player. He hasn't played a game yet without making a tremendous error by foot.

Bulldog4life
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
I think he's a great person and that 200 games is on the table but he desperately needs to work one some things before becoming a genuine best 22 player. He hasn't played a game yet without making a tremendous error by foot.

I think he is getting better with his kicking which is a good sign. Time will tell I suppose.

EasternWest
11-08-2013, 08:49 PM
I see him as a guy who takes a spot if 22 blokes aren't doing the right things. He is very much limited to the defensive forward role. This is how his strengths/weaknesses in the role.

Strengths
- Overhead marking
- Concentration/work rate into trying to make it a tough day for quality HBs

Weaknesses
- finding the ball, often only gets it 7-10 times putting pressure on him either hitting the scoreboard or massively shutting down his opponent
- isn't great at taking his chances (really needs to considering how little he gets of it)
- hasn't got great explosive speed
- not really a natural crumber/goal sneak

Just lacks a tool. If he had great pace or was a dead eye shot for goal he'd be valuable in the role, such a small margin for the error.

I think this is a pretty fair assessment. You've not resorted to "only got x touches" or "not up to it" that some trot out ad nauseam.

He won't be in our long term plans, but right now he's a decent fringe player that will always keep the guys competing for his spot honest.

I respect Addison, but I look forward to the day when he's not making the team, if that makes sense.

G-Mo77
11-08-2013, 09:01 PM
I respect Addison, but I look forward to the day when he's not making the team, if that makes sense.

Makes sense to me. Nick Lower was/is in a similar situation and he's been pushed and being kept out due to other players lifting a few cogs.

Ghost Dog
11-08-2013, 09:42 PM
I would be happy for the team to stay exactly the same, to get some consistency.
Austin was pretty good really, Cross could have had a goal, Addison 3. At least you know you'll get a contest.

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 10:33 PM
I am genuinely astounded at people not wanting Addison in the team, I can't even get my head around why this is a topic, it is just that clear cut he should be in. So happy with what he's done this year for the bulldogs and himself.

westbulldog
12-08-2013, 03:34 AM

see claysmyman post

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 06:11 AM

If he continues to improve like he has this year vs last he will be a very good player. His deficiencies (kicking etc) are clearly on the up compared to when he was drafted which is a great sign. He had one game where he was nearly best on.

always right
12-08-2013, 10:03 AM

You could also say that about Bob Murphy couldn't you?

I've been impressed by the improvement in Talia's kicking. Still a WIP but signs are good.

Nuggety Back Pocket
12-08-2013, 12:00 PM
In. Boyd and Talia
Out. Addison and Austin
Austin may well have saved his spot for next year with a good game against Carlton. Boyd as our leader deserves to return at the expense of Addison, whose courage is undeniable but lacks skill. Stringer Hunter and Hrovat will all be better players next year and there is little need to rush them back at this stage.

Happy Days
12-08-2013, 04:34 PM
I am genuinely astounded at people not wanting Addison in the team, I can't even get my head around why this is a topic, it is just that clear cut he should be in. So happy with what he's done this year for the bulldogs and himself.

What is it exactly that he's done? He had a great game against the Saints and has been decidedly average in every appearance since.

Of his 7 disposals on the weekend, three resulted in points, one was an out of bounds on the full, he ran under several contests (which he supposedly impacts regularly), only had 2 tackles, and got subbed out. He was bad on the weekend, it's okay, players can play poorly in a win.

In his 7 games since the Saints game, he has averaged 9.3 touches, 2.1 tackles and has kicked 5.8. I don't believe his ability/appetite for contests outweigh this level of inactivity, not accounting for the number of balls he misjudged and runs underneath.

Honestly, if Stringer were available would you keep him around next week?

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 04:49 PM
What is it exactly that he's done? He had a great game against the Saints and has been decidedly average in every appearance since.

Of his 7 disposals on the weekend, three resulted in points, one was an out of bounds on the full, he ran under several contests (which he supposedly impacts regularly), only had 2 tackles, and got subbed out. He was bad on the weekend, it's okay, players can play poorly in a win.

In his 7 games since the Saints game, he has averaged 9.3 touches, 2.1 tackles and has kicked 5.8. I don't believe his ability/appetite for contests outweigh this level of inactivity, not accounting for the number of balls he misjudged and runs underneath.

You only have to look at a good coach like Ross Lyon. There's a reason Zac Dawson has never been dropped under his tenure while players like Dal Santo, Milne etc. do.
Perhaps take a look at Nathan Buckley with Alan Didak this year.
Good coaches drop talented players for being lazy even when they seem to play well, its rare that a blue collar hard worker gets dropped. Dropping players who work hard is simply not good for the culture of a football club. Having said that, with good youth coming through it also makes sense that a slightly older player like Addison may make way for Stringer or Hunter for example.

Happy Days
12-08-2013, 04:58 PM
You only have to look at a good coach like Ross Lyon. There's a reason Zac Dawson has never been dropped under his tenure while players like Dal Santo, Milne etc. do.
Perhaps take a look at Nathan Buckley with Alan Didak this year.
Good coaches drop talented players for being lazy even when they seem to play well, its rare that a blue collar hard worker gets dropped. Dropping players who work hard is simply not good for the culture of a football club. Having said that, with good youth coming through it also makes sense that a slightly older player like Addison may make way for Stringer or Hunter for example.

Okay he works hard, I get it. But what does this hard work achieve? More than half of his touches on the weekend went to the opposition on the weekend for a contribution of half a goal. Markovic works hard too but I'm sure no one wants him near the side.

So again, what does he do specifically that helps the side?

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 05:13 PM
Okay he works hard, I get it. But what does this hard work achieve? More than half of his touches on the weekend went to the opposition on the weekend for a contribution of half a goal. Markovic works hard too but I'm sure no one wants him near the side.

He brings forward pressure, 1%ers and the ability to take contested marks.
He got subbed out because he was having a poor one in terms of skill errors and finishing in front of goal.

Varangian
12-08-2013, 05:30 PM
He brings forward pressure, 1%ers and the ability to take contested marks.
He got subbed out because he was having a poor one in terms of skill errors and finishing in front of goal.

That's enough to have his position under scrutiny IMHO. I realise he is there for very specific reasons but the errors by foot and hand, which are really related to decision making processes of course, are worse than anything I have seen from Macrae, Hrovat, Stringer or Hunter.

He is an honest toiler, a very good VFL player who gets to play AFL because of his commitment to the team, unselfish acts and work rate. Is this enough to keep him in front of the young kids I mentioned earlier?

Dylan will be hard-pressed to play 6 games next season.

I would bring in Stringer for Addison with no further changes. I believe we have a player in Talia so if we are going to have a look at Austin we may as well play him this week.

bornadog
12-08-2013, 05:38 PM
In. Boyd and Talia
Out. Addison and Austin
Austin may well have saved his spot for next year with a good game against Carlton. Boyd as our leader deserves to return at the expense of Addison, whose courage is undeniable but lacks skill. Stringer Hunter and Hrovat will all be better players next year and there is little need to rush them back at this stage.

Looks reasonable ins and outs. Austin will be unlucky if he gets dropped, but then Talia has played so well this year.

F'scary
12-08-2013, 07:47 PM

Now that Cordy is out, Addison has become the new Cordy.

Same-same. Different.

Raw Toast
12-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Can understand the calls for Stringer, but given he didn't play on the weekend, don't see why we'd bring him in - yes he offers more than Addison, but we don't want to risk him when not cherry ripe either.

Crossy's great game seems to have gone unnoticed. Completely shut-down Simpson, should get another go round unless there is a compelling reason. Personally, I'd prefer him in the side than Addison - I liked the contests DFA made v Carlton, but he was subbed for a reason, and Dickson provides better pressure skills in my opinion.

Austin had a very nice game, not convinced that we should bring Talia straight back. Again, Talia's had an impressive season, but if he is out with 'soreness' I'm happy to give him an extra week to be ready to go again. Of course, he'd like a crack at his brother's team I reckon (hopefully lots of those to come until Daniel joins him at the Dogs!).

So if Boyd is right, then I'd have him in for Addison, otherwise no change unless someone needs a rest or Talia is completely right and then Austin has to go.

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 08:55 PM

He does a crap load more than Jones, and we don't have a problem with him playing.

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Jesus guys, it's simple — he shows some mongrel.

Happy Days
13-08-2013, 01:12 AM
He does a crap load more than Jones, and we don't have a problem with him playing.

I'm sick of going in circles talking about the 22nd best player on the weekend, so ill just say I disagree and move on.

In: Roberts

Out: Addison

For all the reasons previously alluded to.

The Underdog
13-08-2013, 08:37 AM
I'm sick of going in circles talking about the 22nd best player on the weekend, so ill just say I disagree and move on.

In: Roberts

Out: Addison

For all the reasons previously alluded to.

I reckon we're just too tall if we do that. Would prefer Hunter if DFA goes out.

Scorlibo
13-08-2013, 10:52 AM
You could also say that about Bob Murphy couldn't you?

Murph as it happens did make a terrible error on the weekend, but before that I couldn't tell you the last time he did something similar.

Talia is so limited by foot that he rarely kicks the ball forward further than 25 metres. I just don't understand the hype, he hasn't been particularly marvellous as a defender and he seems to have received praise mainly for his incredible knack of accumulating possessions. But what's the use in him getting the ball 20+ times if he can't do anything with it? If he's to have a prosperous career he needs to work very, very hard on his defensive craft - make players look silly like Dale has done for many years.

Sedat
13-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Murph as it happens did make a terrible error on the weekend, but before that I couldn't tell you the last time he did something similar.

Talia is so limited by foot that he rarely kicks the ball forward further than 25 metres. I just don't understand the hype, he hasn't been particularly marvellous as a defender and he seems to have received praise mainly for his incredible knack of accumulating possessions. But what's the use in him getting the ball 20+ times if he can't do anything with it? If he's to have a prosperous career he needs to work very, very hard on his defensive craft - make players look silly like Dale has done for many years.
Wow, I think you're significantly under-selling Talia's defensive craft. Just like his brother (who is the best key defender in the competition IMO), he has an innate understanding of where to position himself in a defensive marking contest, and his timing to spoil is impeccable. He is as natural a defender as I've seen since Dale Morris burst onto the scene in 2005.

The Doctor
13-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Talia for Austin
Hrovat for Dickson

If Stringer was ready I would bring him in for Addison. Would also like to find a spot for Hunter but it might be best for him to get a full game at Willi.

Maddog37
13-08-2013, 11:44 AM

I am super surprised to read this regarding Talia. It seems you are a glass half empty type and that is fair enough. All the stats and counter arguements are wasted once your mind is made up so I would just ask you to watch him a little closer next time with an open mind and you might understand the hype a bit better. He has his shortcomings for sure but there has not been many young key defenders with a better first ten games.

check these stats http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/pp-western-bulldogs--michael-talia

bornadog
13-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Talia for Austin
Hrovat for Dickson

If Stringer was ready I would bring him in for Addison. Would also like to find a spot for Hunter but it might be best for him to get a full game at Willi.

I have been a critic of Dickson as I think he is just short of an AFL standard player, however, as a HFF, he is averaging 2 goals a game since he came back from injury, so I would keep him in.

I think he competes very poorly one on one and needs to lift his defensive pressure.

Be interested in your reasons for dropping him.

I still think Boyd will come in this week.

The Doctor
13-08-2013, 12:27 PM
I have been a critic of Dickson as I think he is just short of an AFL standard player, however, as a HFF, he is averaging 2 goals a game since he came back from injury, so I would keep him in.

I think he competes very poorly one on one and needs to lift his defensive pressure.

Be interested in your reasons for dropping him.

I still think Boyd will come in this week.

Dickson would be unlucky to be left out, same with Austin as both were solid contributors. I just think Hrovat is going to be a special player and would like to get more games into him. I think Dickson is not the future & a gap filler while the young guns find their feet.

Greystache
13-08-2013, 12:31 PM
Dickson would be unlucky to be left out, same with Austin as both were solid contributors. I just think Hrovat is going to be a special player and would like to get more games into him. I think Dickson is not the future & a gap filler while the young guns find their feet.

Hrovat has missed the last 3 weeks with a quad injury, even if he is right to play this week I can't see him coming straight into the seniors.

The Doctor
13-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Hrovat has missed the last 3 weeks with a quad injury, even if he is right to play this week I can't see him coming straight into the seniors.

Didnt realise that, then Dickson to stay in.

bornadog
13-08-2013, 12:51 PM
Didnt realise that, then Dickson to stay in.

or Hunter to come back in. Has done nothing wrong and has been very impressive.

The Doctor
13-08-2013, 01:26 PM
or Hunter to come back in. Has done nothing wrong and has been very impressive.

Yep I don't mind that either.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 01:33 PM

Scorlibo, I generally like your work, but have to disagree on your reading of Michael Talia. Micka makes very good defensive decisions. Very good. Consistently. And he is quite efficient kicking over 25 or 30 metres. He is very athletic and continues to improve. I believe that, like his brother, he will be one of the competitions best defenders, and is already well on his way. BTW, he is still only 20! It's also worth noting that accumulating possessions at AFL level takes a lot more than simply having a 'knack' for it. Isolate him for a while one day at the game and just watch what he does. Very impressive; he has obviously bought into the BMac game plan. I have no doubt that he will be revered in similar fashion to Moz in years to come.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 01:57 PM

Bob was dragged after 5 consecutive turnovers against GWS almost cost us the game.
Other then that he's been very good this year though

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 04:56 PM

First of all, decidedly average against everyone since the saints game?! If you want to make that comment based on those stats then yes I'd somewhat agree with you, but i watch games differently. It's where and how and against whom and how many opposition players he's dealing with at times that those games wont give you stats on. So I respectfully take your point but i don't buy into stats...that's why i don't pick Dylan Addison in my dream teams.

The match committee obviously appreciates other things. Like team role, appetite for the contest (on ground and air). Willingness to bull doze people to get prime ball movers a chance to work, make it that damn hard for his opposition to have an impact. What those stats in the paper after the game wont tell you is if he's doing a defensive job for us. As Macca has said, he and the club will reward people who do the right thing by the team, and play their role...i think the fact he has played the last 5 or so games after the GWS game, has, along with Jarrad Grant and a number of different reasons seen us play our best footy for 18 months.

I would love for him to be a little bit more polished by foot and goals. Obvious example from what you said is he's had 4 shots on goals...as a forward yes you'd love him to kick them. I'm not dropping him because he misses though, unless you're Lindsay Thomas 18 months ago then perhaps.

I am very much for playing Stringer, I look forward to him coming into the team. It's a good problem to have. The fact we didn't have any of our top 5 picks from this year play along with Talia, and to do what we did on the weekend was really impressive. The depth this club is starting to generate is going to hold us in really good stead going forward.

KT31
13-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Hunter in for Dickson - need to get some games into Hunter.

Dickson's game was ok although he did have a poor moment, at a very crucial part of the game, where he let Zach Tuohy run around him on the mark and kick a goal.

Boyd in for DFA.

Maddog37
13-08-2013, 06:15 PM
DFA is playing the Max Rooke role. He needs to hurt a few more blokes though as well as getting the odd goal or two.

immortalmike
13-08-2013, 07:22 PM
DFA is playing the Max Rooke role. He needs to hurt a few more blokes though as well as getting the odd goal or two.

I hate when people refer to it as that. It was, is now, and forever should be called the Mitch Hahn role.

Maddog37
13-08-2013, 08:28 PM
My most humble apologies. Loved Mitch as a player.

Doc26
13-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Tory is either too unfit for the level and / or lacks the required endurance which is particularly evident when the game is hot. He has had an injury interrupted season but is starting to resemble an underdone / hampered Higgins who the opposition is prepared to work through off halfback to gain an advantage. For mine, he looked underdone before he went down with the ankle in round 3.

F'scary
13-08-2013, 10:12 PM
I hate when people refer to it as that. It was, is now, and forever should be called the Mitch Hahn role.

Yeah, and Mitch "Bull(dog) at the Gate" Hahn used to turn the bodies over a lot more than DFA does.

F'scary
13-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Tory is either too unfit for the level and / or lacks the required endurance which is particularly evident when the game is hot. He has had an injury interrupted season but is starting to resemble an underdone / hampered Higgins who the opposition is prepared to work through off halfback to gain an advantage. For mine, he looked underdone before he went down with the ankle in round 3.

True but he still gets stats when we go behind on the scoreboard.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2013, 09:54 AM
First of all, decidedly average against everyone since the saints game?! If you want to make that comment based on those stats then yes I'd somewhat agree with you, but i watch games differently. It's where and how and against whom and how many opposition players he's dealing with at times that those games wont give you stats on. So I respectfully take your point but i don't buy into stats...that's why i don't pick Dylan Addison in my dream teams

Great post, really hit the nail on the head with the whole lot for mine. It's often hard to get a real appreciation for what he does, whether it be gut running to create a contest for a long kick down the line, where the ball inevitably gets killed out of bounds to help us level up another clearance 50m further afield and allow time for our structures to be created, or blocking, bullocking and bulldozing contests so the ball can spill out to another free player to nail a goal or set one up. He won't get a stat for the majority of those efforts, but I'm sure the sides internal KPI's highlight what he does for the team each week and the impact he is having.

The fact he managed 4 shots on goal on the weekend was a good effort - yes the execution let him down badly, but if he'd kicked half, everyone would be saying that's a certain pass mark for just over the half of footy he played. If he'd kicked all 4, we'd be lauding him. He's become (generally) a more reliable shot on goal and his contested marking and ability to lead up and mark in the F50 has become a real strength of his.

Will be interesting to see what the MC do this week, but I won't be jumping up and down if Dylan is selected again.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2013, 10:13 AM
Great post, really hit the nail on the head with the whole lot for mine. It's often hard to get a real appreciation for what he does, whether it be gut running to create a contest for a long kick down the line, ..

Dylan does work for the team and is almost playing as a tall.
For those who think stats are important, what stat was given to Dylan for his effort in a marking contest (1stQ) that brought the ball to ground, where Griff copped a high tackle and shot on goal.

Would this have counted as a score assist?

Varangian
14-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Dylan does work for the team and is almost playing as a tall.
For those who think stats are important, what stat was given to Dylan for his effort in a marking contest (1stQ) that brought the ball to ground, where Griff copped a high tackle and shot on goal.

Would this have counted as a score assist?

No. I understand you weren't arguing whether Dylan should be in the team or not, you were just stating that he works hard and he does but wouldn't you expect everyone who was given that forward target role to create a contest? It's fairly fundamental stuff for a forward and most players can do it, even Cordy, he just can't mark them.

I think you need to highlight more than just Dylan creating a contest to justify his position in the team. I agree he works hard and 'cracks in' but McCartney has most players doing this now. But agreed, he leads by example and has been marking well.

always right
14-08-2013, 11:20 AM
No. I understand you weren't arguing whether Dylan should be in the team or not, you were just stating that he works hard and he does but wouldn't you expect everyone who was given that forward target role to create a contest? It's fairly fundamental stuff for a forward and most players can do it, even Cordy, he just can't mark them.

I think you need to highlight more than just Dylan creating a contest to justify his position in the team. I agree he works hard and 'cracks in' but McCartney has most players doing this now. But agreed, he leads by example and has been marking well.

Yep...I'd expect all players to do this but the reality is some are more capable than others. Dylan has a strong upper body that allows him to use it as a battering ram which creates opportunities for others.

The weakness of Cordy is that he rarely impacts on a contest at all let alone mark the ball. Lost count of the number of times he fails to get to the contest or when he is wrestling with his opponent and is simply unable to get his arms up to compete for the mark.

always right
14-08-2013, 01:36 PM
Who gets Dangerfield on Sunday? Wallis is the obvious match-up based on recent weeks but I worry he won't have the pace to go with him.

Happy Days
14-08-2013, 02:20 PM
Who gets Dangerfield on Sunday? Wallis is the obvious match-up based on recent weeks but I worry he won't have the pace to go with him.

Picken but we need to be very switched on and change the match up when he goes forward, Wallis to Sloane.

always right
14-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Picken but we need to be very switched on and change the match up when he goes forward, Wallis to Sloane.

You might be right. When was the last time Picken played a tagging role on ball? I can't recall.

Bulldog Joe
14-08-2013, 05:04 PM

Actually I am highlighting that everything does not come down to stats.

bornadog
15-08-2013, 08:38 PM
In: Mccrae, Boyd and Hunter

No outs at this stage

Don't know whats happening with Talia

azabob
15-08-2013, 09:21 PM

No outs at this stage

Maybe Austin is in our plans for next season?

westdog54
15-08-2013, 09:22 PM

No outs at this stage

Choosing not to risk him?

azabob
15-08-2013, 09:25 PM

No outs at this stage

Extended bench is

Jason Tutt
Dylan Addison
Easton Wood
Lachie Hunter
Jack Macrae
Liam Jones
Tory Dickson

Go_Dogs
15-08-2013, 09:26 PM

I watched replay of the first half again late last night to unwind and I thought Austin was very good. Created a bit with the ball and defended well.

If he can keep this up over the balance of the season I think he deserves to be in our plans moving forwards.

Go_Dogs
15-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Extended bench is

Jason Tutt
Dylan Addison
Easton Wood
Lachie Hunter
Jack Macrae
Liam Jones
Tory Dickson

Glad I'm not the one telling 3 of those blokes they aren't playing!

Maddog37
15-08-2013, 09:28 PM

Maybe he is being auditioned to help make a decision on him.

LostDoggy
Think we know what we have with Talia. Time to test Austin for the rest of the season to see if there is a place for him next year.

Varangian
Actually I am highlighting that everything does not come down to stats.

You were also highlighting the fact that Dylan works hard for the team, I was just saying that that is not enough.

LostDoggy
15-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Beat me to it

F'scary
15-08-2013, 09:35 PM

As the late great Benny Hill used to say, "Opportunity knockers..."

KT31
15-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Up to me it would be the two listed below who miss -
Dylan Addison
Tory Dickson

and a toss up for the third spot out of
Jason Tutt
Easton Wood

bornadog
16-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Final Team:

In: Hunter, Boyd

Out: Tutt, Jones both omitted,

Remi Moses
16-08-2013, 06:24 PM
Both unlucky ^^

bornadog
16-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Both unlucky ^^

Agree, and Addison lucky.

chef
16-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Deserved to keep his spot over Jones, but I'd prefer Liam and Tutt to be getting games over Dylan and Crossy at this stage of the year..

G-Mo77
16-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Strange outs from the naked eye.

Nuggety Back Pocket
16-08-2013, 06:46 PM

I thought Tutt was very good coming on as the sub last week and should have been retained instead of Hunter. Jones continues to disappoint and not surprised at his omission.
Both Dickson and Addison need to do more.
A little surprised that Talia wasn't selected in the first place.
Is he still injured?

The Bulldogs Bite
16-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Jones has been very, very poor so I don't mind him being omitted. He couldn't even take a mark playing on Bootsma last week, and late in the third we really needed him to.

A little surprised Tutt makes way instead of Addison.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Addison and Campbell preferred to Jones, I think it means the coach wants to see Jones dominate in the vfl if he wants back in.

The Pie Man
16-08-2013, 07:47 PM
We dropped Jones?

Optimism slowly waning

jeemak
16-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Perhaps Tutt needs a full run this week and we wanted to get games into other players to either give them experience or a a chance to show why they should be retained on the list.

Jones has been a bit disappointing for mine, and needs to work his arse off at the second level and grab hold of a game.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Maybe Jones wasn't 100% and shouldn't have played last week? He was dropped the week before.

GVGjr
16-08-2013, 08:32 PM
We dropped Jones?

Optimism slowly waning

That's a bad move in my opinion.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Addison and Campbell preferred to Jones, I think it means the coach wants to see Jones dominate in the vfl if he wants back in.

I do too.
Maybe he needs to gain confidence and show himself what his body and skill set is capable of. He can do a lot but just doesn't. Hope this turns him around.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 10:07 PM
We dropped Jones?

Optimism slowly waning

That's a bad move in my opinion.

Why?
Someone at his age and stage of his career needs more time with the ball, just like Stringer. Regain some form and hit back.
8 touches each week will see him atrophy out of existence. IMO.

w3design
16-08-2013, 11:32 PM
this is the game Roughhead playing KPF!!! woohoo!!!

Remi Moses
16-08-2013, 11:43 PM
What's the point of grooming Roughead to play key back, then play forward?
Gotta be honest I hope the club don't waver on Gia and Cross playing next season.
If they go on we're going to 4to 5 retire at once, and that could get ugly!!

chef
17-08-2013, 09:41 AM
What's the point of grooming Roughead to play key back, then play forward?
Gotta be honest I hope the club don't waver on Gia and Cross playing next season.
If they go on we're going to 4to 5 retire at once, and that could get ugly!!

Nothing wrong with seeing if he can be used as a swing man.

Happy Days
17-08-2013, 11:58 AM

He smashed one of the better talls in the competition last week. Why do we have to try this, given he has shown nothing as a forward to indicate that he's desperately needed up there?

chef
17-08-2013, 12:11 PM
He smashed one of the better talls in the competition last week. Why do we have to try this, given he has shown nothing as a forward to indicate that he's desperately needed up there?

Because it could be handy in the future.

soupman
17-08-2013, 12:23 PM

FWIW he has named full forward against West Coast and spent the entire match in Defence. Will probably only go forward if he's really struggling down back, as we already have Campbell up forward.

azabob
17-08-2013, 03:35 PM
FWIW he has named full forward against West Coast and spent the entire match in Defence. Will probably only go forward if he's really struggling down back, as we already have Campbell up forward.

Thanks for mentioning this, as I was wonder where has all this swingman talk come from!

F'scary
17-08-2013, 03:54 PM
Bold move dropping Stinky. The King very stiff to be dropped. There are a number of players who would not want to be putting in a bad one this week.

Remi Moses
17-08-2013, 04:17 PM

Because he is being groomed to play on the gorilla forwards.
Only should be used as a last resort.

chef
17-08-2013, 04:31 PM
Because he is being groomed to play on the gorilla forwards.
Only should be used as a last resort.

Or when he doesn't have a match up. Would be handy to swing him forward at different times.

GVGjr
17-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Would Lower have been a good selection this week to play on Dangerfield?

I think we will need him next week against Rich.

stefoid
17-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Seems to be about how many goals we kick rather than how many we stop, at the moment.

soupman
18-08-2013, 12:21 PM

I'm happy to back Wallis in for the roles Lower has played. I think with Wallis, Cross and Boyd all likely being given roles where they shut down their opponent we don't need Lower to come in and do the same considering he doesn't offer anything different to these blokes going forward.

bornadog
18-08-2013, 12:45 PM

Dangerfield absolutely killed Lower last time, it was a big mismatch. Dangefield is fast and strong.

Nuggety Back Pocket
18-08-2013, 01:31 PM

Lower would be too slow to go with Dangerfield.
Wallis has emerged as our best tagger in recent weeks and IMO is perhaps our best option.

The Underdog
18-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Wallis to Dangerfield and Cross to Sloane to start?
Hope Hunter starts in the 21. Love to see him, Grant and Dahl in the same forward line.

bornadog
18-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Wallis to Dangerfield and Cross to Sloane to start?
Hope Hunter starts in the 21. Love to see him, Grant and Dahl in the same forward line.

Hunter is the sub

stefoid
18-08-2013, 08:38 PM

no :)

wally 19 posses at 74% - 7 tackles, 7 clearances, 1 goal 3 assists

danger 16 at 69%, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal 1 assist.

The Bulldogs Bite
18-08-2013, 08:55 PM
no :)

wally 19 posses at 74% - 7 tackles, 7 clearances, 1 goal 3 assists

danger 16 at 69%, 4 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal 1 assist.

Another incredible performance from Wallis, this his best yet.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Another incredible performance from Wallis, this his best yet.

Agreed, he was sensational. A real team orientated game defensively but was able to work very hard both ways and played a hand in a number of goals as well as kicking a great one himself. Huge month at the office for Mitch, he has come of age.

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Mitch just seems like a great team player, amazing to think the things that some people said about him a couple of months ago.

soupman
19-08-2013, 09:27 AM
Courtesy of another forum.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BR892PfCIAArBJ6.jpg:large

Ghost Dog
19-08-2013, 09:30 AM
That's awesome. Thanks for posting that.

I'm really glad that the likes of Gia, Murph, Griff, Coons can experience some success perhaps dissolving some of the pain of failed finals campaigns.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/08/18/1226699/507176-tom-campbell.jpg
Tom Campbell putting worries on his opponent. A big unit.

Has done really well this bloke. A bit of doubt on the boards about him, but has developed quite a bit since his early appearance at Ballarat in the NAB.
"Campbell bagging two as his height and pace worried the experienced Rutten." - Hun

Hotdog60
19-08-2013, 07:08 PM
That's awesome. Thanks for posting that.

I'm really glad that the likes of Gia, Murph, Griff, Coons can experience some success perhaps dissolving some of the pain of failed finals campaigns.

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2013/08/18/1226699/507176-tom-campbell.jpg
Tom Campbell putting worries on his opponent. A big unit.

Has done really well this bloke. A bit of doubt on the boards about him, but has developed quite a bit since his early appearance at Ballarat in the NAB.
"Campbell bagging two as his height and pace worried the experienced Rutten." - Hun

Tom has done very well, he just needs to fix his marking. He is too much like a Will clone. If he can work on this our 2nd ruck role has been found. He will also be a very potent full forward.

azabob
19-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Tom has done very well, he just needs to fix his marking. He is too much like a Will clone. If he can work on this our 2nd ruck role has been found. He will also be a very potent full forward.

Seriously? He is a much, much, much better contested mark than Minson.

Hotdog60
19-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Seriously? He is a much, much, much better contested mark than Minson.

He might be slightly better but very few are one grab marks. I love what he is doing and it's great for our forward line but how would it be that when the ball came in Tom just grab the ball without a juggle. Think of Grant the ball just seems to get sucked into his hands.

It's just when we were playing Minno more as a forward I see some similarities.

chef
19-08-2013, 08:01 PM
He might be slightly better but very few are one grab marks. I love what he is doing and it's great for our forward line but how would it be that when the ball came in Tom just grab the ball without a juggle. Think of Grant the ball just seems to get sucked into his hands.

It's just when we were playing Minno more as a forward I see some similarities.

I thought he's clunk them well the last couple of weeks.

Hotdog60
19-08-2013, 09:04 PM

He's hanging on to them which is the main thing:)

Look at his first couple of grabs in this video. Wouldn't be better if the ball stuck once.
He's young and has a lot of upside and I'm loving what he's doing.

A7Hxcxb4_D8

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 10:16 PM
He drops some easy ones but takes some mighty clunks

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Courtesy of another forum.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BR892PfCIAArBJ6.jpg:large

My interest piqued, I ran some stats.

In the past 5 games, against those 6 opponents listed, he has given up

a total of 35 years of age (average 5.83 years), :eek:
a total of 599 games in experience (average 99.83 games), :eek:
a total of 18 kilos weight (average 3 kilos)

yet tallied

38 more handballs (average 6.33),
24 more disposals (average 4),
17 more tackles (average 2.83),
9 frees against (average 1.5),
34 more uncontested possessions (average 5.67),
only 2 less total contested marks (average 0.33),
given off 8 more goal assists (average 1.33),
played an average of 8.5% more time on ground.

A new dubious honour has been created: Mitch's Bitches.

The Bulldogs Bite
20-08-2013, 01:05 AM
A new dubious honour has been created: Mitch's Bitches.

I love it! :D

Hotdog60
20-08-2013, 06:31 AM

I just watched Tom's 4 goals highlights on the WB site and I may have to retract 50% of my statement.:D

He did hold on to a lot of those marks so maybe as the confidence grows the better he looks. As I mentioned I hope he can build to bigger and brighter things because it will be a big plus for the side.

Nuggety Back Pocket
20-08-2013, 11:51 AM
I just watched Tom's 4 goals highlights on the WB site and I may have to retract 50% of my statement.:D

He did hold on to a lot of those marks so maybe as the confidence grows the better he looks. As I mentioned I hope he can build to bigger and brighter things because it will be a big plus for the side.

Who would have thought that two cast offs in Campbell and Dickson from the Bendigo Bombers, would kick 10 goals between them. This could turn out to be an excellent piece of recruitment. The need for a second ruckman to support Minson was obvious and it took the MC a long time to be convinced that Campbell was a better option than Cordy.Campbell's ruckwork is excellent and he now appears likely to become Minson's eventual replacement. This will mean the further development of a Jones or Stringer as the next key forward or do we need to look further afield?

Greystache
20-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Who would have thought that two cast offs in Campbell and Dickson from the Bendigo Bombers, would kick 10 goals between them. This could turn out to be an excellent piece of recruitment. The need for a second ruckman to support Minson was obvious and it took the MC a long time to be convinced that Campbell was a better option than Cordy.Campbell's ruckwork is excellent and he now appears likely to become Minson's eventual replacement. This will mean the further development of a Jones or Stringer as the next key forward or do we need to look further afield?

I still think Campbell will eventually become a number one ruckman (and a very good one) but it's worth keeping an open mind if his forward craft continues to improve at the rate it has. It's much easier to recruit a mature ruckman than it is a ruck/forward and we may see better long term value out of keeping Campbell in his current role. Minson probably has 2-3 years left to allow us to decide the best path.

I would look at trying to recruit another ruckman from a state league through the rookie draft this year and see if we can get lucky.