PDA

View Full Version : Jarrad Grant is starting to live up to the expectation

GVGjr
10-08-2013, 11:24 PM
Bulldog Jarrad Grant is starting to live up to the expectation (http://news.com.au/sport/afl/bulldog-jarrad-grant-is-starting-to-live-up-to-the-expectation/story-fndv8weh-1226694825984)

http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/08/10/1226694/824690-grantg.jpg

Jarrad Grant may just be about to deliver on his potential.

If three-goal hauls against West Coast and Sydney in the past fortnight had Western Bulldogs fans excited, then last night's all-around performance against Carlton proved those two games were no flash-in-the-pan efforts.

The 24-year-old had a career-high 24 possessions, took seven marks and kicked a goal in every quarter in what was a best on ground game.

He was involved in everything early as the Dogs dominated every aspect bar the scoreboard then found himself involved in many of the match's critical moments after quarter time, including when he kicked what was all-but the sealing goal early in the fourth term.

And while the raw numbers were great, what would have pleased coach Brendon McCartney most was Grant's work rate.

He laid three tackles, ran hard to space when not in possession and also worked back in defence _ at one stage in the third quarter he took a crucial contested mark deep in defence as the Blues mounted a spirited charge.

Things have not come easy for Grant, who came to the Whitten Oval as the No.5 pick in the 2007 draft.
Yesterday was just his 55th game.

Sure he's had injuries -- osteitis pubis and the infamous stingray barb through the foot among them -- but his form has often been maligned when he's managed to get on the field.

Season 2013 also promised to be another forgettable one.

Niggling injuries kept him off the park early, while a run of nine games in the VFL failed to reach any great heights.

There was no real indication that he was about to take the most significant steps in his career so far when he made his first senior appearance in Round 16.

He snapped the game's first goal yesterday, set up Liam Jones for his side's second after telegraphing a Marc Murphy handpass out of defence and also the team's third with a nifty crumbing effort that ended with Luke Dahlhaus.

If Grant's third goal, a hack off the ground in the third term, was opportunist, then his fourth quarter effort was all class as he got clear, reared on to his right and snapped around the body from 40m.

Now, with the Bulldogs' redevelopment starting to turn the corner, Grant's form may just be one of the most exciting aspects of the lot.

If the Dogs do acquire a solid key forward this summer then Grant, playing a roving half forward role, will work just nicely with a brute coming out of the goal square.

bulldogtragic
10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Me happy!

Bulldog4life
10-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Me happy!

We all are.:)

The Bulldogs Bite
11-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Get around him!

w3design
11-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Well done Grant you have proved me wrong. loving this humble pie and cream it's tasty.:)

bornadog
11-08-2013, 12:45 AM
As Gia said, the club knew he had the talent, it was just in his head. He is now growing in confidence and getting better week by week.

ratsmac
11-08-2013, 11:57 AM
I wrote him off years ago. I'm so glad I was so wrong.
I am loving the ball in his hands, he makes things happen.

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 12:21 PM
Welcome to the Western Bulldogs : Jarrad Grant

BornInDroopSt'54
11-08-2013, 12:24 PM
-What a unique talent he is and how good is his effort to make it so far. What good timing this form is, like rocket fuel to our prospects. Looking forward to Grant benefitting from the "brute out of the goalsquare"!

anfo27
11-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Congratulations to Jarrad. We all knew he had the talent but you don't make it in this game on talent alone. It would have been tough for him playing at Willi seeing the seniors get done every week knowing he is good enough to be there but he took everything the coaches have asked of him on board. Now he is getting the rewards of his hard work & hopefully a new 2 year deal is not far away.

bulldogsthru&thru
11-08-2013, 07:21 PM
i'm so happy for him. Ill admit i had written him off before last season ended. Really happy to be proven wrong

Go_Dogs
11-08-2013, 07:43 PM
Great for the guy to be getting recognition for the hard, team stuff he is doing. If he keeps getting the basics right, we're going to have the privilege of watching a pretty special player over the next 5+ years.

LostDoggy
11-08-2013, 11:30 PM
And we on this site were wanting to trade him. If we had, and he performed like this at say GWS, the site would have melted..... Well done spindle shanks!