PDA

View Full Version : Macca ticks the stats (well most)

bornadog
12-08-2013, 03:42 PM
All Rounds, All Matches 2013.

6th in total Disposals
2nd in Contested poss.
2nd in Clearances
1st in Centre Clearances
6th in Stoppages
4th in Tackles

Disposal efficiency has climbed to 7th

Not a bad effort for a team sitting 15th.

Next year we have to win the most important stat of all - biggest score :D

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Who was first in contested possession and clearances? (forgive my laziness in not looking it up myself)

azabob
12-08-2013, 04:20 PM
All Rounds, All Matches 2013.

6th in total Disposals
2nd in Contested poss.
2nd in Clearances
1st in Centre Clearances
6th in Stoppages
4th in Tackles

Disposal efficiency has climbed to 7th

Not a bad effort for a team sitting 15th.Next year we have to win the most important stat of all - biggest score :D

That is quite impressive. A way to go yet, but we are tracking nicely.

bornadog
12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Who was first in contested possession and clearances? (forgive my laziness in not looking it up myself)

Sydney

Remi Moses
12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Big thing is the uncontested possession stats are on the rise.
Work rate ball movement have improved significantly in the last 5 weeks.
Long way to go still, but the signs are positive .
Compared to 12 months ago when we couldn't wait for the year to stop, this year we want more games

bornadog
12-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Compared to 12 months ago when we couldn't wait for the year to stop, this year we want more games

Currently sitting 10th, but probably higher in the last 5 weeks.

Remi Moses
12-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Sydney

I never usually watch a loss again, but that game was worth about 10 games of experience for our side.

Raw Toast
12-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Apparently our disposal efficiency was the best in the League in the 4 weeks leading up to the Carlton game - not bad given that the Swans and Hawks pride themselves on making it hard for the opposition to move the ball.

Be interesting to see all our indicators since the GWS game (which I suffered through in Canberra on behalf of you all!).

MrMahatma
12-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Pretty good stuff.

Really enjoying footy again. Next year is going to be really fun.

Given it's been a "rebuild" we've not been uncompetitive for an disproportionate period. All in all, a good effort by the administration, coaches and players provided the improvement continues.

F'scary
12-08-2013, 07:39 PM
And Roughead just won the Danny Frawley Golden Fists award! (Lucky it is not the David Rys Jones Golden Fists Award).

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 09:38 PM
I never usually watch a loss again, but that game was worth about 10 games of experience for our side.

I reckon the draw has worked out beautifully for us. Rather than play nothing but bottom sides, we've had a chance to come into form against the best, win the confidence that comes with it, and the lesser teams in this period — West Coast, Carlton — have been perfectly timed. We may or may not be able to take much out of it long term except that our team has learnt and absorbed the toughest lesson of all — the work required will get you reward, ladder be damned.

We didn't hurt Carlton as much as we should've on the scoreboard, but we smashed them everywhere else, we didn't beat Sydney but we took a fair chunk out of their heels, we plyed our honour against Hawthorn and suddenly we're sitting 15th but playing like we should be 10-11th.

If we'd kept playing teams like Melbourne, St Kilda, Brisbane, etc i don't know if we'd have had the same confidence boost.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 11:50 AM

Well put, I can be the most pessimistic supporter at times, but this is how I feel atm.

SonofScray
13-08-2013, 12:23 PM
Apparently our disposal efficiency was the best in the League in the 4 weeks leading up to the Carlton game - not bad given that the Swans and Hawks pride themselves on making it hard for the opposition to move the ball.

Be interesting to see all our indicators since the GWS game (which I suffered through in Canberra on behalf of you all!).

The difference between the way we played in Canberra (was also there freezing away) in comparison to the following weeks has been stark. Some of it is really tangible, the story being told in the stats but there has been a real shift in stuff you can't see as well. The stuff we love as fans; heart, mongrel, camaraderie etc.

We just weren't seeing stuff like Grant's running with the flight of the ball, Libba dumping Waite and that type of stuff. Footy is much more fun as a fan when we are dishing it out and being really overt in those behaviours. Macca promised us those type of things, he is keeping that promise at the moment.

always right
13-08-2013, 03:48 PM
Worth noting that Macca's message has changed markedly in recent times. He's moved his emphasis from hanging in games for longer until momentum shifts our way...to tolerating nothing less than a win. Just part of the evolution of our club and its culture.

Cyberdoggie
13-08-2013, 03:56 PM
We didn't hurt Carlton as much as we should've on the scoreboard, but we smashed them everywhere else, we didn't beat Sydney but we took a fair chunk out of their heels, we plyed our honour against Hawthorn and suddenly we're sitting 15th but playing like we should be 10-11th.

If we'd kept playing teams like Melbourne, St Kilda, Brisbane, etc i don't know if we'd have had the same confidence boost.

If we could find a key forward that can take a mark it would make scoring a hell of a lot easier for us.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 04:38 PM
If we could find a key forward that can take a mark it would make scoring a hell of a lot easier for us.

But you could argue it would also make us bomb it long to them from every contest, such as we did in 2010 with BBBBH.

I'm more than happy to see the team learn how to play without the big gorilla then add him to the mix. Let's face it — rely solely on one player and you're cooked.

Scorlibo
13-08-2013, 05:31 PM

The game's changed, there's barely any such thing as a dominant key forward. They just need to play their role for the team, which is I believe what Campbell, Jones and Grant did at the weekend.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2013, 05:38 PM

We all know Liam Jones can improve but surprisingly he is still level 5th for contested marks in the AFL.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_player_rankings?year=2013&rt=LT&st=CM

bornadog
13-08-2013, 05:41 PM
We all know Liam Jones can improve but surprisingly he is still level 5th for contested marks in the AFL.

and in front of some very good players. I think he has improved this year and does alot of the little things that supporters don't see.

Bulldog4life
13-08-2013, 05:42 PM
and in front of some very good players. I think he has improved this year and does alot of the little things that supporters don't see.

Stats don't lie.:)

bornadog
13-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Stats don't lie.:)

Well marking ones don't anyway.

Greystache
13-08-2013, 06:18 PM

Jones does most of the hard things pretty well, he just doesn't do enough of the easy things at this point. If he can improve his leading he'll get a lot more uncontested ball and his stats will go up dramatically. Hopefully the work he's doing with Mooney will start to pay off soon.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Jones to do a Grant soon?

F'scary
13-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Jones to do a Grant soon?

Keep getting the games into him.

Go_Dogs
14-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Jones does most of the hard things pretty well, he just doesn't do enough of the easy things at this point. If he can improve his leading he'll get a lot more uncontested ball and his stats will go up dramatically. Hopefully the work he's doing with Mooney will start to pay off soon.

Spot on, that's the knock on him at the moment. He's working harder in leading up the ground to create contests but simply must get better at getting that little bit of separation so he can take more marks and generate more reward for the obvious increase in workrate we're seeing at the moment. I wonder what his strength is like in the gym? He's becoming a big boy but he still has a tendency to be beaten in physical contests too often.

I've got faith he can get there, but I guess a little more time is needed.

Maddog37
14-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I agree. He is still a bit unco but with time he will get better in this area. He also has a good frame to put muscle on.

bornadog
19-08-2013, 10:30 AM
We lost the CP (by 2), the clearances, the inside 50's, but we won the most important stat this week, the score board.:)

stefoid
19-08-2013, 10:33 AM
According to the presser, Mac said the players were too scoreboard conscious and ran too far ahead of the contest when we were a few goals up, and panicked when we were a few goals down.

They really obliterated us around the stoppages in the 3rd quarter particularly.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 01:26 PM
According to the presser, Mac said the players were too scoreboard conscious and ran too far ahead of the contest when we were a few goals up, and panicked when we were a few goals down.

They really obliterated us around the stoppages in the 3rd quarter particularly.

This is a great sign — non-negotiables are non-negotiables, win lose or draw.