PDA

View Full Version : Libba Snr - Open Mike 9.30 Tonight

bulldogtragic
12-08-2013, 09:16 PM
Looks like a good un tonight.

LostDoggy
12-08-2013, 09:18 PM
They're going to go right into the 97 prelim. Don't know if I can handle it. Too soon.

chef
12-08-2013, 11:02 PM
Loved it.

Hotdog60
12-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Libba presented very well

SlimPickens
12-08-2013, 11:10 PM
Disappointed to be honest. Wish Mike would have spoken more about all the good Libba did on the field and for our footy club. Not just focused on the negative.

Libba is a revered at our club for a reason, he is a member of our team of the century for a reason and there is a reason his footy jumper went for 48k. We love the bloke and just wanted Mike to show others the reasons why!

Doc26
12-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Disappointed to be honest. Wish Mike would have spoken more about all the good Libba did on the field and for our footy club. Not just focused on the negative.

Libba is a revered at our club for a reason, he is a member of our team of the century for a reason and there is a reason his footy jumper went for 48k. We love the bloke and just wanted Mike to show others the reasons why!

Agree with this Slim.

I have enjoyed the Open Mike series to date and credit to Mike. Whether it is to do with the limited ~25min time slot or not there is too much time of late being devoted to delving into each guest's apparent flaws and weaknesses.

LostDoggy
13-08-2013, 12:30 AM

Mike Sheahan is not exactly President of the Tony Liberatore Appreciation Society.

Remi Moses
13-08-2013, 12:53 AM
I'll preface this that I've only seen the first 10 minutes.
Thought it was way over the top with the negative stuff.
Had a better year in 91 I thought, when he won the B+F.

Hotdog60
13-08-2013, 06:22 AM
Mike should had made more of a mention that he had won:-
Morrish Medal 1984
Gardiner Medal 1986, 1988
Brownlow Medal 1990
Charles Sutton Medal 1991
No else has done it or ever will.

Cyberdoggie
14-08-2013, 02:10 PM
Unfortunately by going over the top a few times (ex knights incident) towards the end of his career and in the tagging days, he was seen as the bad guy by non bulldogs people.
Much like Steven Baker, Ryan Crowley and any other tagger.

always right
14-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Was Libba serious when he stated that other teams feared him, Dimma and Romero? I can understand that opponents may not have liked playing against them...but feared? Really?

As for the overall interview, I thought there was enough positive content covered including his comeback from his kneee injury, his brownlow and how he made a successful career after being delisted by North Melbourne. Unfortunately there is always going to be more focus on the more controversial aspects and let's face it, Libba did some pretty dodgy acts that just can't be fobbed off as something from another era.

KT31
14-08-2013, 02:29 PM
Unfortunately by going over the top a few times (ex knights incident) towards the end of his career and in the tagging days, he was seen as the bad guy by non bulldogs people.
Much like Steven Baker, Ryan Crowley and any other tagger.

Would it not have been a better interview if Mike had shown Joe Public a different side of Libba, instead of rehashing the same old issues.
For me he did not touch enough on Libba the father, his pre survival football mode, his many accolades and his reconciliation with the Doggies.

Denton would have had him in tears.:)

mjp
14-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I watched it this morning. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would - I loved Libber the player and 1997 remains my single favourite footy year prelim be damned.

The reason I don't series link Open Mike is he simply seems to ask about all the stuff we already know about rather than try and get any other stories out of the subjects...I guess the format is limiting but every time I watch I feel like the subject had so much more to offer.

bornadog
14-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I watched it this morning. I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would - I loved Libber the player and 1997 remains my single favourite footy year prelim be damned.

The reason I don't series link Open Mike is he simply seems to ask about all the stuff we already know about rather than try and get any other stories out of the subjects...I guess the format is limiting but every time I watch I feel like the subject had so much more to offer.

The best one was Capper, very funny and made a mockery of the questions, but like you rarely watch it.

Ozza
14-08-2013, 05:24 PM
The best one was Capper, very funny and made a mockery of the questions, but like you rarely watch it.

"Peter Knights....he was a good guy, I liked Knightsy - but he couldn't coach a pig to be dirty".

Very funny the Wiz. Raving lunatic.

LostDoggy
14-08-2013, 05:31 PM
I recorded it on Monday night but have yet to watch it. I really liked the Doug Hawkins one, had me in tears a couple of times. The Simon Beasley one was ok, the 80s footage was great (especially when Graeme Allen kicked across goal at the Western Oval) but the betting side didn't really interest me.

Remi Moses
16-08-2013, 03:43 AM
"Peter Knights....he was a good guy, I liked Knightsy - but he couldn't coach a pig to be dirty".

Very funny the Wiz. Raving lunatic.

That's one of the few besides the Dog ones I taped.
That was hilarious.
Saw the Libba one and gotta say Mike didn't do his homework.
After coming of a knee reco he won the B+F in 91( worth a mention you would of thought )
Didn't ask about The Wheeler sacking? or Alan Joyce?
Mike clearly forgot that he didn't start tagging until 97.( asked if he was tagging in the early 90's) Little to much emphasis on the negative stuff for mine.

Maddog37
16-08-2013, 08:14 AM
I like Mike better than some others but he seems to be losing his edge a little. Not quite as well researched as he once was and his memory is getting holes in it.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 09:42 AM
I like Mike better than some others but he seems to be losing his edge a little. Not quite as well researched as he once was and his memory is getting holes in it.

Too many commitments — compare to the days when he just wrote for the newspaper.

bornadog
16-08-2013, 10:12 AM

Too many commitments — compare to the days when he just wrote for the newspaper.

Nahh, happens to the best of us as you get older.

Hotdog60
16-08-2013, 10:34 AM

I was going to comment on this but I forgot what I was going to say.....:)

always right
16-08-2013, 11:33 AM
I like Mike....always have. Many complain he flip flops but I always considered him someone who could change his mind if a credible argument is offered. Unlike many journo's who get a fixed view and think it is a weakness to change their opinion.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 12:12 PM

I'll let you know in 40 years' time.

I like Mike....always have. Many complain he flip flops but I always considered him someone who could change his mind if a credible argument is offered. Unlike many journo's who get a fixed view and think it is a weakness to change their opinion.

Changing your mind once is being open-minded. Changing your mind repeatedly from one viewpoint to another and back again and again is indecision and fence-sitting.

Ghost Dog
16-08-2013, 12:33 PM
That's one of the few besides the Dog ones I taped.
That was hilarious.
Saw the Libba one and gotta say Mike didn't do his homework.
After coming of a knee reco he won the B+F in 91( worth a mention you would of thought )
Didn't ask about The Wheeler sacking? or Alan Joyce?
Mike clearly forgot that he didn't start tagging until 97.( asked if he was tagging in the early 90's) Little to much emphasis on the negative stuff for mine.

Clearly didn't do his research. Was getting coaches mixed up etc.
Can't say I like him Sheehan. Rate him about as highly as Bruce.

Remi Moses
16-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Don't mind Bruce.
Even though he gushes constantly over players.
Hello Cyril
Mike's okay, even though he flip flops ( ala Robert Walls) often

bulldogtragic
23-09-2013, 01:59 PM
Just watching Coons on Open Mike on everything brownlow. Great interview, so very,very understated and humble. Great insight.

strebla
26-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Just watching Coons on Open Mike on everything brownlow. Great interview, so very,very understated and humble. Great insight.

He really was great wasn't he sounded like he was in a very dark place in 2011/12 gee I am glad he is back.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2013, 11:47 AM
He really was great wasn't he sounded like he was in a very dark place in 2011/12 gee I am glad he is back.
I couldn't believe after he was announced the winner, we went straight over the Gaz Jnr and apologised for winning. I didn't know that story.

azabob
26-09-2013, 12:07 PM
I couldn't believe after he was announced the winner, we went straight over the Gaz Jnr and apologised for winning. I didn't know that story.

Really?

Not Cooney's fault he won and that Ablett was a sook that he lost.

bulldogtragic
26-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Really?

Not Cooney's fault he won and that Ablett was a sook that he lost.
Yeah, they showed the footage of him winning. He kisses the missus, Eade comes over, shakes some hands and walks past Gaz to the stage. Coons says he said "sorry for winning, you were the best player this year."

strebla
26-09-2013, 12:49 PM

Just goes to show the quality of the man though doesn't it

bulldogtragic
26-09-2013, 01:20 PM
Just goes to show the quality of the man though doesn't it
Yep. I always loved his youthful cockiness but underneath the media persona is a really humble unsure guy. I thought in terms of learning something new about an interviewee, this was the best open Mike. Even the facial expressions he had about recalling his wife leaving crying messages that she thought he was the footballer in Vegas that died. Oh, and he says he's too old now for footy trips :)