PDA

View Full Version : Best 22/Round 1 team

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Now that all the trading is complete i think we could assemble a best 22 squad. I doubt our draft picks would make it or PSD players (if they do we are in trouble) so lets get it going shall we?

Morris Harris Shaggy
Everitt Williams Gilbee
Griffen West Ray
Aker Murphy Hahn
Gia Johnson Tiller
Hudson Cooney Cross
I/C Boyd Doogs Minson Harbrow

I was humming and harring about weather to put Hahn on Gia on the forward flank but went with Hahn for the added height and weight. Aker, Murphy and Gia is fairly small in comparison and Gia has proved he can be aluable down forward by kicking small bags on multiple occasions and if hes not kicking the goals he is setting them up.

Doogs on the bench to provide another target, weather that be down forward or back. May even line up at CHB with Williams down to the forwardline for some added height.

My Harbrow inclusion was a roughie and will probably go to whoever sets up in training over the summer.

I have left out Eagle. His time is up. Simple as that. Unless he can turn his game around he will comtinue to be out until we get hit by injuries. Though his experiance might come in handy against some teams, especially when we are travelling.

I hope these players really challenge during the PS for that last spot on the bench:
Addison
Harbrow
Hill
Stack
Skipper
Wight
Cullan

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 08:15 PM
Morris, Harris, Hargrave
Gilbee, Williams, Everitt
Cross, West, Akermanis
Boyd, Murphy, Hahn
Higgins, Johnson, Minson
Hudson, Griffen, Cooney
Ray, McDougall, Stack, Giansiracusa

Here's my likely, wayward prediction.

Dry Rot
12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Could Everitt play forward? Anyone see him in a Hansen-like role?

And is it a bit early for Williams to play CHB? Would McDougall be a better option?

dog town
12-10-2007, 08:47 PM
Could Everitt play forward? Anyone see him in a Hansen-like role? Hard to call this early but my early readings of him suggest he is a defender/winger. As I said it is a bit early to call though as he has only played forward for a quarter or so. I never saw Murphy as a forward.

Go_Dogs
12-10-2007, 08:48 PM
I think Williams will be ready to hold down a key position spot next season, without too much worry. McDougall will be a good inclusion off the bench, especially if he can put some forward moves in his arsenal, as he will be able to take a 2nd or 3rd Power Forward, you'd expect.

I'd like to see Everitt given license to run the lines from the back half. He could certainly develop into a mobile forward, but I think with his poise and skill, being a tall running, key defender will be his calling. (Or midfielder, hopefully).

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 09:00 PM

And is it a bit early for Williams to play CHB? Would McDougall be a better option?

I dont see Everitt developing into an Ash Hansen type player structurally. Hansen is a fairly solid player even though he doesnt look it on tv. Id say hes around the 95kg mark atleast. Everitt could be another forward option though dont get me wrong, but not as the main man. Although he could play that Hansen role to some degree.

And as for Williams i belive he can hold down a KP as a backmen. All going well he will get a pre season in and will add weight to his already solid frame (98kg IIRC) and he already has all the atributes. If it doesnt work though Doogs could provide some relief but as it stands i would give first crack to Williams.

LostDoggy
12-10-2007, 09:06 PM
I think Callan wil slot straight in.

Dogs 24/7
12-10-2007, 10:42 PM
Morris - Harris - Williams
Griffen - McDougall - Hargrave
Gilbee - West - Ray
Hahn - Murphy - Akermanis
Wight - Johnson - Giansiracusa
Hudson - Cross - Cooney
Boyd-Minson-Tiller-Higgins-Callan-Everitt-Skipper

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 12:47 AM

Agreed.

What about shaking the team up a bit?

Would Aker offer something running out of the backline?

Could Hargrave play a kind of O'Keefe leading up the ground role?

Could anyone be a kind of defensive forward?

Murphy looked better down back last season - should he stay there?

How would Gilbee go in the midfield?

bornadog
13-10-2007, 01:20 AM

I think eventually he will play forward, maybe even a mobile CHF, but he needs to put on some weight and muscle.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2007, 11:38 AM

I haven't seen enough of Callan to make any sort of prediction if he will or won't come straight in. I'm sure he'll be given every opportunity to do so.

Is he a good runner?

Dogs 24/7
13-10-2007, 11:48 AM
I'm not sure how anyone can say Callan will walk straight into the side and Id like to see him at training before I would commit to him.I think he will be more of a IC player.

LostDoggy
13-10-2007, 07:02 PM
By just looking how many hard at it tagger types we had in the side this season tells me he will very likely be there round 1.
All he has to is turn up to training and give 100%.
Also knowing Eade's history, its the type of player he loves.

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 01:22 AM
By just looking how many hard at tagger types we had in the side this season tells me he will very likely be there round 1.
All he has to is turn up to training and give 100%.
Also knowing Eade's history, its the type of player he loves.

Agree Ernie,

Talk had been around since the end of the season, so obviously we were keen, and the powers that be must think he will add something straight away

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Morris Harris Shaggy
Everitt Williams Gilbee
Griffen West Ray
Aker Murphy Hahn
Gia Johnson Tiller
Hudson Cooney Cross
I/C Boyd Doogs Minson Harbrow

Morris, Harris, Hargrave
Gilbee, Williams, Everitt
Cross, West, Akermanis
Boyd, Murphy, Hahn
Higgins, Johnson, Minson
Hudson, Griffen, Cooney
Ray, McDougall, Stack, Giansiracusa

Here's my likely, wayward prediction.

Both these forward lines look wat too small. I think we ned to look at either Willams, McDougall or Hargrave to be moved forward. It might even regire two of these players to be played as forwards
If that means we have to use Wight and Morris as a tall defenders I think it's worth trying
I don't like Minson as a forward unless his marking can improve heaps.

Scorlibo
14-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Backs -Morris -Harris -Williams
HBacks -Everitt -Hargrave-Gilbee
Centres-Ray -Cross -Griffen
OBalls -Hudson -Cooney -Boyd
HFors -Akermanis -Skipper -Murphy
Fors -Giansiracusa-Hahn -Johnson
Inter -West -Higgins -Wight -Tiller

Murphy to play a rotation through forward and backline, Wight to play role in ruck, if Henderson or Mcevoy picked up with pick 5 they can play half forward coming off the bench, taking murphy's spot when he moves to the backline.

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Murphy to play a rotation through forward and backline, Wight to play role in ruck, if Henderson or Mcevoy picked up with pick 5 they can play half forward coming off the bench, taking murphy's spot when he moves to the backline.

Not too bad but I thought that McDougall and Eagleton might have been better than Wight and Tiller. No spot for Callan is interesting.

Dry Rot
14-10-2007, 12:47 PM
As a matter of interest, is there a convention for team lists where a tagger is listed to play?

Are they usually shown in the selected midfield or the bench?

Dry Rot
14-10-2007, 12:49 PM

Welcome to WOOF Scorlibo.

No role for Hargrave? Pretty short forward line?

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 01:24 PM

Welcome to WOOF Scorlibo.

No role for Hargrave? Pretty short forward line?

Scorlibo has him listed as the CHB

Dry Rot
14-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Scorlibo has him listed as the CHB

OOps, sorry Scorlibo - I'm blind.

Scorlibo
14-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Not too bad but I thought that McDougall and Eagleton might have been better than Wight and Tiller. No spot for Callan is interesting.

Yea those last two spots in the side are largely undecided, I went for Wight over Eagleton because of his extra height and versatility. Tiller and Mcdougall are almost inseparable for mine, just thought in the end that Tiller has more goalkicking potential. Callan won't be in the side for round 1 but he may well work his way in.

I see great ruck potential in Cam Wight, he has the height, the leap and the running capacity, does anybody think he could eventually become a good, agile ruck option?

Bulldog Revolution
14-10-2007, 04:55 PM
Yea those last two spots in the side are largely undecided, I went for Wight over Eagleton because of his extra height and versatility. Tiller and Mcdougall are almost inseparable for mine, just thought in the end that Tiller has more goalkicking potential. Callan won't be in the side for round 1 but he may well work his way in.

I see great ruck potential in Cam Wight, he has the height, the leap and the running capacity, does anybody think he could eventually become a good, agile ruck option?

Welcome Scorlibo

There've been a few threads discussing Wight in the ruck - so perhaps use the search function and have a look at them also.

I personally do not think that is a role Wight is good at or suited to. Ideally I would like see either Wight or McDougall really make centre half back their position so that we can push Tommy Gun Williams forward.
The move of Hargrave either to a wing or that leading half forward or perhaps even full forward is one I would be strongly considering, as maybe Everitt would be best blooded in Hargraves' role as the third tall in defence.

Losing McMahon takes away some drive and delivery from the backline, with that in mind I think Gilbee and Griffen are going to be very important in that mix.

So is the type of backline that I'd like to see - but it relies on Everitt, McDougall and Wight have improved enormously.

Backline:
Gilbee Harris Morris
Everitt McDougall/Wight Griffen

Scorlibo
14-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Ideally I would like see either Wight or McDougall really make centre half back their position so that we can push Tommy Gun Williams forward.

Agreed, I would love to see TomaWill go forward and atleast have a go at a key forward spot, though I cannot see Mcdougall ever having the pace or endurance to go side by side with the best CHFs in the business such as Riewoldt or Franklin, so Wight would be a better bet.
Also, with McMahon gone we may indeed need another driving, running player from the backlline, however Griffen should really be moving more in the midfield direction next year, for if he is ever to become a dominant midfielder in the future (which is very possible given his great talent) we need to blood him early.
Instead I would try Addison in the McMahon role, he certainly plays a similar, running style.

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 07:09 PM
Also, with McMahon gone we may indeed need another driving, running player from the backlline, however Griffen should really be moving more in the midfield direction next year, for if he is ever to become a dominant midfielder in the future (which is very possible given his great talent) we need to blood him early.
Instead I would try Addison in the McMahon role, he certainly plays a similar, running style.

I was thinking that, who would replace Jordy from the backline, and who would replace Griffen as he goes into the midfield? Thats a lot of run gone form our backline..... i think its Addison who lays a lot of tackles, so he might be alright there? I just dont know about his pace..

Scorlibo
14-10-2007, 07:17 PM
Addison appears to have pretty good pace, in the dozen or so games he played this season I remember him often cutting through the centre corridor, taking them on. I think he has the ability to replace McMahon, he just needs to improve his ball winning, because at the moment he is only getting 10 or so disposals a game.

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Addison appears to have pretty good pace, in the dozen or so games he played this season I remember him often cutting through the centre corridor, taking them on. I think he has the ability to replace McMahon, he just needs to improve his ball winning, because at the moment he is only getting 10 or so disposals a game.

I'm a bit of a fan of Addisons as well but he missed a lot of footy at the end of the season so it will be interesting to know if he can commence full training or not.

Scorlibo
14-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Was that through injury?

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Was that through injury?

I assume yes because it was never reported in the paper or on the clubs website. From memory he only played once for Werribee in the last 8 weeks.

Go_Dogs
14-10-2007, 09:38 PM
I assume yes because it was never reported in the paper or on the clubs website. From memory he only played once for Werribee in the last 8 weeks.

He's probably got the dreaded OP, but I'm just speculating.

LostDoggy
14-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Now thats not good.

Is it a make or break year for him this year?

Mantis
15-10-2007, 09:45 AM

That's untrue. Dylan had a leg infection due to a pretty bad cut he got in his leg while playing for Werribee. He was told to take the last few weeks of the season off to allow it to properly heal. He has been back in full training for 2 weeks now with the focus on increasing his 'motor' and upper body strength.

Go_Dogs
15-10-2007, 10:48 AM
That's untrue. Dylan had a leg infection due to a pretty bad cut he got in his leg while playing for Werribee. He was told to take the last few weeks of the season off to allow it to properly heal. He has been back in full training for 2 weeks now with the focus on increasing his 'motor' and upper body strength.

Thanks, as I said I was just speculating. It seemed like an injury that was being managed, and so often with young players running harder than they ever have, its OP.

Glad to hear he's back in full training. If he can improve his decision making, motor and strength, he'll play a big part this coming year.

Bulldog Revolution
15-10-2007, 10:54 AM

This is where I disagree.

IMO Griffen put too much pressure on himself in 2007 - I think we are best to take the pressure off him and settle him on a half back flank and give him spells on the ball/midfield (similar to the way the Crows did for a number of years with Goodwin). At this stage of his career his best footy has been at half back.

Addison will get opportunities as a rebounding defender - and like Billy Blogger I'm also a big fan of the way he goes about it. If he is fit and confident then I think he could be a really important part of the backline.

dog town
15-10-2007, 06:26 PM
This is where I disagree.

IMO Griffen put too much pressure on himself in 2007 - I think we are best to take the pressure off him and settle him on a half back flank and give him spells on the ball/midfield (similar to the way the Crows did for a number of years with Goodwin). At this stage of his career his best footy has been at half back.

Addison will get opportunities as a rebounding defender - and like Billy Blogger I'm also a big fan of the way he goes about it. If he is fit and confident then I think he could be a really important part of the backline.
It is a tough one with Griffen. It does make sense for him to go back and just concentrate on getting himself back up himself as a dominant running defender. At the same time its now his 4th season and if we want him to develop as a midfielder then at some stage we are going to have to pump some games into him in those positions even if it doesn't benefit the team. Still has alot to learn IMO despite his prodigious talent.

You cant help but like the way Addison goes about it but he has a long way to go. Needs to improve in almost every area. Dont think we will be banking on him to come in and replace Mcmahon or Griffen.

lukedarcy14
15-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Could maybe Farren Ray slot into a defensive running role?

lukedarcy14
15-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah i feel he would also add the excitment and really get the crowd going up pump motivation, He is talented and i would of been shattered to see him traded (As the rumours said)

Scorlibo
15-10-2007, 08:33 PM
yea Fazza might be able to do the job, while also adding some extra spice to our rebound footy from defense, I think a young player willing to take 'em on is the way to go.

Dry Rot
11-12-2007, 01:24 PM
Given Dean's recent comments and now that we have Welsh and the pre-season injuries to Skipper and Gia, would your selected teams change much?

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 01:29 PM
I'll have a crack.

Morris, Harris, Williams
Hargrave, McDougall, Gilbee
Akermanis, West, Griffen
Murphy, Welsh, Boyd
Higgins, Johnson, Hahn
Hudson, Cross, Cooney
Ray, Giansiracusa, Everitt, Minson.

Eagleton, Callan, Addison etc next in line. Hope I didn't forget anyone!

LostDoggy
11-12-2007, 01:36 PM
I'll have a crack.

Morris, Harris, Williams
Akermanis, West, Griffen
Murphy, Welsh, Boyd
Higgins, Johnson, Hahn
Hudson, Cross, Cooney

Sounds right. I think Gia and Callan will fight out a spot with injuries

Mantis
11-12-2007, 02:04 PM
I'll have a crack.

Morris, Harris, Williams
Akermanis, West, Griffen
Murphy, Welsh, Boyd
Higgins, Johnson, Hahn
Hudson, Cross, Cooney

Pretty good effort.

Would put Ray on the wing, Aker on HFF and Boyd on the bench.

I also think Welsh will play closer to goal rather than across half forward.

Personally I would have Harbrow as next in line if he didn't make the best 22 which I think he does.

Raw Toast
11-12-2007, 02:15 PM
Pretty good effort.

Personally I would have Harbrow as next in line if he didn't make the best 22 which I think he does.

Agree that Harbrow would be stiff to miss out but who would you drop out of that 22 for him? Obviously depends a lot on how the rest of the pre-season goes doesn't it. If Harbrow goes well I might sneak him in ahead of Gia if he isn't fully fit.

I'd also have Everitt as a back pocket with Williams or McDougall starting on the bench.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
B: Addison Harris Hargrave
HB: Griffen Williams Morris
C: Ray West Gilbee
HF: Boyd Murphy Hahn
F: Johnson Welsh Akermanis
R: Hudson Cooney Cross

I: Eagleton, Everitt, Higgins, Minson

Giansiracusa underdone, Callan might be better placed to step into the backpocket than Addison but I am really keen to get Dylan in the side.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Pretty good effort.

I completely overlooked young Harbrow, silly me. I think he'll be unlucky to miss out, but at this stage I don't know who I would squeeze out for him.

I think Boyd is too important to start on the bench.

The Bulldogs Bite
11-12-2007, 03:29 PM
I'm not convinced McDougall can hold down CHB, let alone any position in our best 22 atm. I understand that Eade has described him as having the maturity of a 21 year old in terms of his football? I would of thought that '07 proved this, too. He's unable to have an impact on games, and although he did OK down back it was only for 2 or 3 games.

He is a nice bloke from what I've heard, but I'm not sure he has the determination to be a good player at AFL level. Hopefully I'm proved wrong, though. I'd love to see Doogs become a good CHB because he's got the mobility to keep up with the likes of Riewoldt. The brain/commitment/stamina? We'll see.

He has a long way to go before I can see him nailing down a position, and especially a KP.

Mantis
11-12-2007, 03:56 PM

I don't think we can have Boyd, Cross and West in the midfield region at the same time so I would be looking to have one of these 3 on the bench at all times.

Boyd should not play on the HFF, he is a natural on-baller, like the other two and I don't think we should be making up positions for them to play in just for the sake of keeping them on the ground. We have plenty of other players on our list for these 'specialist' type roles.

Go_Dogs
11-12-2007, 04:15 PM
No he wouldn't play on the HFF, he would follow the ball from that position as another midfielder. It's increasingly rare that a team plays with 6 forwards as named on the team sheet. Most likely our forward set up will revolve around 3 or 4 players who stay mainly stationary as forwards.

I think all 3 of Cross, West and Boyd can play around the ball together, as long as the other names of guys like Cooney, Griffen, Ray, Akermanis etc are accompanying them. Cross is extremely important as he can run all day, create space, handball receives, draw the man etc, as can Boyd. They don't have to continually lining up in the centre square to give us value imo, and perhaps one could go back to a more negating role instead of being a ball winner per se.

Mantis
11-12-2007, 05:10 PM
No he wouldn't play on the HFF, he would follow the ball from that position as another midfielder. It's increasingly rare that a team plays with 6 forwards as named on the team sheet. Most likely our forward set up will revolve around 3 or 4 players who stay mainly stationary as forwards.

I want my half forwards to kick or create goals when we have the ball and apply pressure/ pick up your man when we don't. I don't want my half forwards playing as midfielders, we already have 3 of them inside the centre square and 2 on the wings to do that job.

One of our problems has been that we play with only 3 or 4 forwrds and we have become to predictable. We need to have multiple options and due to a lack of height in the key posts we need our half forwards to have an effect on the scoreboard.

For me Boyd does not fill this requirement.

I think all 3 of Cross, West and Boyd can play around the ball together, as long as the other names of guys like Cooney, Griffen, Ray, Akermanis etc are accompanying them. Cross is extremely important as he can run all day, create space, handball receives, draw the man etc, as can Boyd. They don't have to continually lining up in the centre square to give us value imo, and perhaps one could go back to a more negating role instead of being a ball winner per se.

Ok so what does West do?? The same. So why do we need 3 of them?? I understand there value, but we need to add something different to the mix next year.

I too hope that all 3 can add more to there defensive games next year as it has been lacking over the past couple of years, except on a couple of occassions .ie. Boyd on Kerr in Perth, etc..

dog town
11-12-2007, 05:25 PM
I cant agree with the people calling for Williams to go forward earlier in the thread. Can we just let him learn the game in the defence before we lump him with all of our key forward problems. The guy hasn't even proved himself at this level yet and is extremely inexperienced. To ask him to go up forward and carry the load as pretty much our key forward is absurd. IMO he will develop mainly as a defender who may be a threat up forward as deep target when we are able to cause a few match up problems. I really dont see him being a permanent dominating key forward. In my eyes he is a taller version of Trent Croad. Backs himself, loves to run with the footy off half back and is a great athlete. Doesn't have natural footy smarts and forwards need them.

I dont often do a best 22 but I have decided to have a crack. Obviously the team would vary a bit depending on the opposition. I have to stress that this is how I think they will line up and not what I would do. I see our team lining up something like this

B: Gilbee Harris Hargrave
HB: Griffen Williams Morris
C: Ray West Cross
HF: Murphy Hahn Aker
F: Johnson Welsh Minson
R: Hudson Cooney Boyd

I: Eagleton, Everitt, Higgins, Guido

Obviously we have alot of guys who are very easy to change with one another. I would probably prefer Everitt to Ray at this stage but Ray will get a good run this year as I think Eade was pleased with some of the jobs he did last season.

Welsh plays his best footy close to goal IMO and thats why I think he will start out of the square. Wouldn't surprise me if Eade gave him a new challenge and tries to turn him into a lead up player but its hard to see.

Johnson is too dangerous to move away from goal. Would like to see him become a little less selfish but not at the expense of his goal kicking instinct.

No matter which way I look at it Murphy will be back in his lead up role this season. I cant see who else can do the job effectively. Hopefully we can lighten the load on him though.

I see Hahn returning to his 2005/2006 role as the long target at the edge of the 50.

Aker will be much better for the run this year. Looking at his pictures recently he has those big hips and fat arse back that he had when he was at his best. I expect the addition of Hudson and return of Cross will provide many opportunities for Aker to break away from congestion. I really do think he will have a good year this year as long as he can avoid injury for a while.

I have Cross on a wing. Eade was already using him like that before injury. He can push into space and be that link man out of defence better than anyone especially on quick switches of play and he can still impact the stoppages coming off the edge of the square (think thats why Eade had him playing this role). It also breaks up West, Boyd and Cross. He might be named on a wing but he effectively runs to pretty much wherever he wants.

We have a tall backline with plenty of drive. It is a very good mix that can also add Everitt to the mix should Griff or Gilbee move into the midfield. Doogs and Wight are extra tall options should we need them.

Bulldog Revolution
11-12-2007, 05:35 PM
I completely overlooked young Harbrow, silly me. I think he'll be unlucky to miss out, but at this stage I don't know who I would squeeze out for him.

Harbrow has to force his way in, the same way he did this year, his form for W'Bee was at times electric and his preparedness to chase and tackle a credit to his determination.

I don't think we can have Boyd, Cross and West in the midfield region at the same time so I would be looking to have one of these 3 on the bench at all times.

I think we can have all of them in the midfield mix, but I acknowledge what you are saying - they aren't the quickest trio going around and perhaps its not the best centre square combination for large periods of time. The fact that Cross was so clearly underdone in the second half of the year really took the edge of his speed and effectiveness. If there is one thing we can be absolutely certain of its that Cross will be in incredible condition for the start of 2008.

IMO the midfield is a bit Cooney reliant IMO to break it up and take the game on. We really need a few more dynamic midfielders capable of playing both inside and out. Boyd is developing into a player of that ilk.

DOG GOD
11-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I want my half forwards to kick or create goals when we have the ball and apply pressure/ pick up your man when we don't. I don't want my half forwards playing as midfielders, we already have 3 of them inside the centre square and 2 on the wings to do that job.

One of our problems has been that we play with only 3 or 4 forwrds and we have become to predictable. We need to have multiple options and due to a lack of height in the key posts we need our half forwards to have an effect on the scoreboard.

For me Boyd does not fill this requirement.

Mantis, you have taken the words right out of my mouth. If your not in the starting midfield then your job is to create and kick goals, pick up your player, and pressure so that the ball stays in our fwd line.

Good post.

LostDoggy
11-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Morris Harris Hargrave
Everitt Williams Gilbee
Griffen West Cross
Murphy Johnson Aker
Hahn Walsh Higgo
Hudson Boyd Cooney
IC/ Ray Minson Gia Wight

Here's my revised team. The 22nd spot was decided on match-ups. Dean said the Wight was going to be tried at CHF so i put him in as the 22nd man if we decided to go tall.

Deep we have a few 'bomb it long' options with Hahn and Walsh. I expect Walsh to get the oppositions no.1 forward and that would leave Hahn to be fourth in the pecking order so i expect him to have a fairly big influence on games as a result.

I will expand on this later...

MasterHeasy19
11-12-2007, 11:50 PM
Inside news is that Addison will play 22 games next year.
Shaping up well at training.

Also, Cooney and Griffen played in their first possible game when they got drafted.
Does anyone think any of the new draftees could play in game 1?

Cal has put on 3 kgs in two weeks (Muscle and it is showing) and his strength has doubled. He has said he is training well. I think he could play round 1.

As for the others I think Grant has alot of work to do, very light build on him and cant get in the gym because of his arm. May play mid year?
Bouman has the body, can't judge his ablility yet but i think he will be a KP player in the next few years.
Wood just had an operation i believe on a dodgey shoulder ?
Not sure on O'Keefe, seems to be quite built but yeah i just dont know about him.
and Sam Reid is another im not sure about.

The Coon Dog
12-12-2007, 12:12 AM

Also, Cooney and Griffen played in their first possible game when they got drafted.

Cal has put on 3 kgs in two weeks (Muscle and it is showing) and his strength has doubled. He has said he is training well. I think he could play round 1.

As for the others I think Grant has alot of work to do, very light build on him and cant get in the gym because of his arm. May play mid year?
Bouman has the body, can't judge his ablility yet but i think he will be a KP player in the next few years.
Wood just had an operation i believe on a dodgey shoulder ?
Not sure on O'Keefe, seems to be quite built but yeah i just dont know about him.
and Sam Reid is another im not sure about.

Thanks MH19, always handy to know how things are going. Good to see Cal has strengthened, guess you won't be taking him on in arm wrestling too soon? :D

MasterHeasy19
12-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Never did.
I wrestled him the other day and it was pointless.
do you think he can make the team round 1?
isnt gia injured?

BulldogBelle
12-12-2007, 12:20 AM

Quite like Addison, hope he does well next season.

That's great, wonder if he is on those protein shakes, when Giansiracusa first started playing for the Dogs one of his best mates who I used to work with was always telling me how Gia's diet consisted of those shakes morning, noon and night during his couple of years at the dogs.

Thanks for posting that MH19, great reading.

MasterHeasy19
12-12-2007, 12:35 AM
The dogs have supplied them all with protein bars and shakes for before, after and during training.

And im also looking forward to Addison next year and also Williams and Griffen.
Shaun Higgins is also someone who will be back with a bang.

Does anyone else think Cal or any other of the draftees could play game 1?

FrediKanoute
12-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Morris Harris Callan
Hargrave Doog's Gilbee
Ray Griffin Eagleton
Akermanis Skipper Murphy
Welsh Johnson Tiller
Hudson Cross Cooney

West, Boyd, Williams, Everitt

Mantis
12-12-2007, 08:40 AM
Does anyone else think Cal or any other of the draftees could play game 1?

I would think Ward would be the most obvious choice as to one who may get a game early in the season, but I think we wont see him in the 1's til the 2nd half of the next season if at all.

I would think that next year will be a development year for Callan with him spending most of his time playing at Willi and developing his body and his game. I think he still has his year 12 to complete which will also take up a bit of his time and is something that is important to complete.

Realistically he has quite a few in front of him in terms of selection, but stranger things things have happened and we look forward to watching his development.

Mantis
12-12-2007, 08:51 AM
Morris Harris Callan
Hargrave Doog's Gilbee
Ray Griffin Eagleton
Akermanis Skipper Murphy
Welsh Johnson Tiller
Hudson Cross Cooney

West, Boyd, Williams, Everitt

No Higgins??

Does West and Boyd on the bench offer us enough flexibility?

I hope Griffen spends time in the midfield, but I think he will spend most of his time across half back or maybe even on the wing.

MasterHeasy19
12-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I would think Ward would be the most obvious choice as to one who may get a game early in the season, but I think we wont see him in the 1's til the 2nd half of the next season if at all.

I would think that next year will be a development year for Callan with him spending most of his time playing at Willi and developing his body and his game. I think he still has his year 12 to complete which will also take up a bit of his time and is something that is important to complete.

Realistically he has quite a few in front of him in terms of selection, but stranger things things have happened and we look forward to watching his development.

Like i said he's alot stronger and has put on 3kg so he is not far off the 90kg mark.
By Febuary he will have the body and there's no doubt he should get a run in the NAB Cup.
So theres his experience at that level.
As for year 12 im sure the club will be organising a 'special' program for him to complete it.
He is doing it over two years btw.

As for my team for round 1.

Morris Harris Williams
Gilbee Hargrave Everitt
Addison Griffen Akermanis
Eagleton, Murphy Higgins
Welsh Johnson Ray
Hudson Cooney Cross

West, Boyd, Ward, Minson

Leaves- Gia, Hahn, Harbrow, Doogs, Skipper, Street, Wight, Callan also in the mix for selection.
I think this will be the first year for a while that we've had this depth.
Don't forget that Grant will no doubt play games.
Stack, Lynch, Tiller and Hill are also developing well.

Reasons on who i chose.
Morris Williams and Harris - No brainers
Gilbee and Everitt to provide run from half back. We know Gilbee has great run and skills from the backline and Everitt was great when he played last season.

Im a big fan of Addison, he's solid and fast. Again to provide run. Griffo is just brilliant. Could also hold down a half back role.
Like how Aker sets things up. Has great skills and brains.

Small forward line. Eagleton needs to play at half forward or midfield as i believe he is the 50m Goal specialist, he never misses. Murphy is great at half forward but whether he can play a KP role?

Higgins was brilliant when he played last year very skillful and always knows where he is. Can find goals.
Welsh and Johnson could play a double fullforward role as they can both play KP.
Finally Ray to swap with a resting midfielder.

West will probably start on the field, but i couldnt fit him in the 18. The Youth is looking good.
Boyd and Minson to swap with Cooney and Hudson respectivley.
I believe Ward will play round 1 playing as a resting forward/midfielder. Watching him in the forward line for the Jets last year he seemed to be more at home rather than the half back line. This is not saying he can play there aswell.

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 01:32 PM

Morris Harris Williams
Gilbee Hargrave Everitt
Eagleton, Murphy Higgins
Welsh Johnson Ray
Hudson Cooney Cross

West, Boyd, Ward, Minson

Leaves- Gia, Hahn, Harbrow, Doogs, Skipper, Street, Wight, Callan also in the mix for selection.
I think this will be the first year for a while that we've had this depth.
Don't forget that Grant will no doubt play games.
Stack, Lynch, Tiller and Hill are also developing well.

Interesting - the places I see the issue is the centre line, Griffen and Addison are unproven in those roles. I see both in the 22 but perhaps not in those spots. I dont think Griffen has done enough in the centre square to suggest that would be his starting spot.

I know positions mean less in this era of footy I find it hard to believe Boyd and West wont be in our starting 18 - and Akermanis for my money plays more half forward than wing, whilst Eagle plays more wing than half forward. Hahn to replace Ray for my money - I dont see Ray in a forward pocket. If Ray cant earn a spot on a wing, half forward or half back then he shouldn't be in the side.

Thats great Ward is setting his sights on playing round 1 - that must really motivate a player during the pre season.

Raw Toast
12-12-2007, 02:22 PM

Thanks for the report MH, v good to hear that Ward is settling down into training well (all of us on this board are rapt to have him at the club) and that Addison is looking good.

Cooney did play in his first possible game, but since Eade has been coach none of the draftees have played in round 1. Griffen first played in something like round 4 v the Weagles (05), Higgins in something like round 8 v the Pies (06), and Harbrow last season was the first in I think round 4 v the Tiges.

Hopefully he'll get a chance in the NAB cup to stake his claim for round 1. That said, I think it's more important to have a solid pre-season and season than to make the team straight up. Even Judd didn't play for the Eagles in round 1 of his first season (I think he debuted in round 3), and Cooney and Griffen were both demoted back to Werribee at some stage in their first year as well.

Mantis
12-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Like i said he's alot stronger and has put on 3kg so he is not far off the 90kg mark.
By Febuary he will have the body and there's no doubt he should get a run in the NAB Cup.
So theres his experience at that level.
As for year 12 im sure the club will be organising a 'special' program for him to complete it.
He is doing it over two years btw.

Morris Harris Williams
Gilbee Hargrave Everitt
Eagleton, Murphy Higgins
Welsh Johnson Ray
Hudson Cooney Cross

West, Boyd, Ward, Minson

As with BR I don't like Addison on a wing. I don't really see him in an attacking role at present. I hope that he can develop into a tough HBF/ BP'er or as his fitness increases an tagging midfield type next year. His kicking and decision making at the minute don't allow for him be an attacker at present, but hopefully these parts of his game will improve as he becomes more experienced.

Would swap Hargrave and Williams, but that is easily fixed.

Don't like Ray & Eagleton up forward. Would swap Aker and Ray and would prefer Gia, Hahn or Harbrow in Eagle's position, but each to there own.

Not happy with both Boyd and West on the bench as I have previously stated.

Ward, not sure just yet, but if he has a great pre-season and performs well in the intra club, practice and NAB Cup games he maybe a chance.

Other than that it looks pretty good to me.

MasterHeasy19
12-12-2007, 02:56 PM
As with BR I don't like Addison on a wing. I don't really see him in an attacking role at present. I hope that he can develop into a tough HBF/ BP'er or as his fitness increases an tagging midfield type next year. His kicking and decision making at the minute don't allow for him be an attacker at present, but hopefully these parts of his game will improve as he becomes more experienced.

Would swap Hargrave and Williams, but that is easily fixed.

Don't like Ray & Eagleton up forward. Would swap Aker and Ray and would prefer Gia, Hahn or Harbrow in Eagle's position, but each to there own.

Not happy with both Boyd and West on the bench as I have previously stated.

Ward, not sure just yet, but if he has a great pre-season and performs well in the intra club, practice and NAB Cup games he maybe a chance.

Other than that it looks pretty good to me.

I was just putting together a 22. Positions werent so important, I was trying to discover our depth.

Most of our list are A-Grade players---> Good depth.

As for West and Boyd on the bench, todays game is becoming a 'rotation' game like Gridiron.
I do know that at training they have two groups of 'midfielders' and the people on the bench is 'team 2'.

The Underdog
12-12-2007, 03:31 PM
May as well give it a shot:

B: Morris, Harris, Gilbee
HB: Hargrave, Williams, Griffen,
C: Boyd, West, Eagleton
HF: Giansiracusa, Murphy, Akermanis
F: Welsh, Minson, Johnson
R: Hudson, Cooney, Cross
Int: Everitt, Ray, Higgins, Hahn
Em: Harbrow, McDougall, Callan

If Gia isn't ready, Higgins to a HFF and Harbrow into the team

Clarifications:
-Have named our best mids in the 18 although they'll obviously rotate off the bench. Thus Boyd starting on the ground on a wing, even though he won't really play there.
-Have named Minson at FF because they seem hellbent on trying it, assume he'll be the backup ruck (thus a short bench) with a smaller forward line once he goes into the ruck and Hudson to the pine.
-Left Doogs out as I think they'll need the extra mid/runner and with the additions he's not in the best 22. Williams will get first shot at CHB
-Forward line is still a bit short but I went for ability over size (Minson aside).
- Expect the team to be different by rd 22. Hopefully Harbrow, Stack, Callan, Doogs and Skipper can put some pressure on for places.

Scorlibo
12-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Back: Ryan Hargrave Brian Harris Dale Morris

Half Back: Lindsay Gilbee Tom Williams Daniel Giansiracusa

Centre: Ryan Griffen Daniel Cross Shaun Higgins

Followers: Ben Hudson Matthew Boyd Adam Cooney

Half Forward: Robert Murphy Wayde Skipper Jason Akermanis

Forward: Andrejs Everitt Scott Welsh Brad Johnson

Interchange: Scott West Will Minson Farren Ray Cameron Wight

Emergencies: Callan Ward Nath Eagleton Dylan Addison

The three players in blue are players which may play a bit of "musical positions" with each other's positions, for example, Gia might move to the wing, pushing Missy to the forward pocket and Docter Drej to half back.

The players highlighted in red are players who may not be included in the side at all.

I have included emergencies because it is inevitable that we will have to endure some injuries, and therefore inevitable also that we will have to bring in replacements for the injured players - I think it is here where we are a small side - in our depth.

Westy is on the bench because I think Coondog, Boyder and Cross may all surpass him next year (Cross probably has already), and Westy just isn't a wingman, hence his benching. But expect some rotation between Boyd, West and Cross, and expect some rotation between Cooney, Griffen and Ray.

wimberga
12-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Here Goes!

Morris Harris Hargrave
Gilbee Williams Everitt/Griff
Ray West Harbrow/Gia
Aker Murph Higgins
Welsh Johnson Hahn

Ruck - Hudson Cross Cooney
Int - Minson, Boyd, Doogs Tiller

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I was just putting together a 22. Positions werent so important, I was trying to discover our depth.

Most of our list are A-Grade players---> Good depth.

As for West and Boyd on the bench, todays game is becoming a 'rotation' game like Gridiron.
I do know that at training they have two groups of 'midfielders' and the people on the bench is 'team 2'.

Thats a fair point about our depth, BUT I think some of us thought that last year and we were very thin on the ground

We just had too many guys who just were not fit enough to be able to contribute at a high enough level and we didn't have enough guys who chased, pressured, harassed. Murphy, Hahn, and Darcy were all coming off knee recos and struggled. Higgins isn't fit enough yet, its hard to know if Cooney is, and then injuries to Grant, Cross and Griffen also dinted our depth.

GVGjr
12-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Just having a look at everyones teams and it's interesting to see that Callan has slipped down the pecking order since the trade period because a number of people had him in the best 22.
Everitt is also a hard player to place because there is a mixture of back, forward and IC positions.

The Bulldogs Bite
12-12-2007, 09:05 PM
After taking into account Eade's comments regarding our forwardline structure, I've come up with the following.

FB: Morris, Harris, Hargrave
HB: Griffen, Williams, Gilbee
C: Ray, West, Cross
HF: Gia, Murphy, Akermanis
FF: Johnson, Minson, Welsh
R: Hudson, Boyd, Cooney
INT: Everitt, Higgins, Hahn, Eagleton

Addison, Harbrow, Callan, McDougall & Skipper would be possibles too, depending upon injuries/form etc leading upto Round 1.

---------------

* If McDougall is able to play a role down back, he could replace/release Hargrave further up the field. At times, Hargy struggles and often gives away free kicks. I would rather him play up the field, as he's a good carrier of the footy and he has decent skills.

* Cross to start on the wing but more than likely play as another onballer at appropriate times.

* With Minson & Welsh up forward, Hahn starts on the bench. Nevertheless, I rate him as an important player that can be used in the square in bursts and up forward when Murphy or Minson are resting.

Bulldog Revolution
12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Just having a look at everyones teams and it's interesting to see that Callan has slipped down the pecking order since the trade period because a number of people had him in the best 22.
Everitt is also a hard player to place because there is a mixture of back, forward and IC positions.

Callan for me was always a recruit that was going to have to earn his spot - hes never been more than a fringe player and given hes never played for the club I didn't feel he was starting 22 yet. But theres every chance he can force his way in and theres certainly openings if he is up to it.

Everitt was just a guy who whilst I love his talent, hes still very light, and its hard to know how much he will improve in year 2, and in all likelihood he wont play all 22 games in the seniors - thats just a big ask of a lightly built kid. If he really has improved and all the talk seems to suggest hes a pretty mature focused kid then Id like him that back flank/wingman slot.

hujsh
12-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Why make our best side? I have only seem one instance where we have had no official injuries and then we lost Griffin and Cross for 8 weeks. The important part is being able to cover our injured players. Also, Hahn will always be in the best 22 when fit. To have a mid size player weigh 100kgs and not be slow is an awesome weapon

Prince Imperial
12-12-2007, 11:42 PM
Morris Harris Hargrave
Gilbee Williams Griffen
Boyd West Eagleton
Hahn Murphy Akermanis
Higgins Welsh Johnson
Hudson Cross
Cooney
Minson Everitt Harbrow Giansiracusa

Forward line is still short - no one 190cm, but at least we will have a couple of players who can take contested marks (Johnno and Welsh), one who can contest in the air (Hahn) and a good lead up forward (Murphy). I can't see Minson playing much more than a cameo role up forward given his lack of mobility and think he will largely send around 60% of game time on the bench.

I would have both Eagle and Harbrow ahead of Ray at this stage. Harbrow showed quite a lot in his first year and Eagle still gives us a lot of run and penetration. Until Farren can learn to kick the ball properly on the run (which should be his great strength given his pace) I think he will remain a player on the fringe of the best 22.

GVGjr
12-12-2007, 11:43 PM
PI, Harsh call on Ray I would have thought

wimberga
13-12-2007, 12:14 AM
I agree

He is a suped up version of Eagle who will only get better, which unfortunately cannot be said for N.Eagleton.

The Underdog
13-12-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree

He is a suped up version of Eagle who will only get better, which unfortunately cannot be said for N.Eagleton.

Eagle has a piercing left foot capable of dobbing goals from outside 50. His right foot stops him falling over. He can kick at top pace and hit a target. He also provides strong run going forward.

Ray has an ok right foot and a left foot which he has far too much belief in. It is capable of hitting targets or launching helicopters. Struggles to hit targets when running flat out.
Eags atm is still more valuable to the team in my opinion. Ray certainly has more scope for improvement at this stage of his career and hopefully he starts to really put it together consistently this year, but he's not there yet.

Mantis
13-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Eagle has a piercing left foot capable of dobbing goals from outside 50. His right foot stops him falling over. He can kick at top pace and hit a target. He also provides strong run going forward.

Ray has an ok right foot and a left foot which he has far too much belief in. It is capable of hitting targets or launching helicopters. Struggles to hit targets when running flat out.
Eags atm is still more valuable to the team in my opinion. Ray certainly has more scope for improvement at this stage of his career and hopefully he starts to really put it together consistently this year, but he's not there yet.

On the other hand Ray is a much better defensive player than Eagleton. Eagleton seems to pick and choose when he wants to chase, Ray has improved this past of his game and chases hard everytime.

The way I look at it is that we are still in a re-building phase so who has scope for improvement? Ray does so if it comes down to a decision between the 2 you would have to pick Ray everytime.

Agree that at present Eagleton's best is proably better compared to Ray (except Coll final ), but frankly Eagleton isn't consistent enough for me.

The Underdog
13-12-2007, 02:46 PM
On the other hand Ray is a much better defensive player than Eagleton. Eagleton seems to pick and choose when he wants to chase, Ray has improved this past of his game and chases hard everytime.

The way I look at it is that we are still in a re-building phase so who has scope for improvement? Ray does so if it comes down to a decision between the 2 you would have to pick Ray everytime.

Agree that at present Eagleton's best is proably better compared to Ray (except Coll final ), but frankly Eagleton isn't consistent enough for me.

While I agree with you over Eagleton's defensive work (he's obviously not listening cos I've been yelling at him about it for ages:D), I'm not sold on the fact that Ray is much better. As I said Ray has time on his side and nothing would make me happier than Ray and others really coming on this year and getting picked for their all around game and putting pressure on a guy like Eags to do the defensive work or risk being dropped.
I just think that Eags hurts the opposition more at the moment. On the other side, both are reasonably inconsistent. It's not like we're talking about a Scott West who performs pretty much every week. Both have tended to be good when we're going well but disappear when we aren't. That needs to change for every player this year. (I know I won't be accepting mediocrity, so neither should they :rolleyes:)

LostDoggy
13-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Staggering that people leave Giansiracusa out of the team. He is a class player, with match winning skills. And he goes a lot harder than most people give him credit for. We dont have that many highly skilled mids, Gia is one player we need

GVGjr
13-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Staggering that people leave Giansiracusa out of the team. He is a class player, with match winning skills. And he goes a lot harder than most people give him credit for. We dont have that many highly skilled mids, Gia is one player we need

I tend to agree. I know why people are frustrated with him but I still rate him.

Bulldog Revolution
13-12-2007, 07:22 PM
I tend to agree. I know why people are frustrated with him but I still rate him.

Hes a good player but he is frustrating

I think a lot of people have left him out because they are unsure about just how fit he will be due to injury

Sockeye Salmon
14-12-2007, 11:15 AM

There's really not much point in Eagleton chasing, he's typically too far away from his opponent to ever catch him.

Mantis
14-12-2007, 11:24 AM
There's really not much point in Eagleton chasing, he's typically too far away from his opponent to ever catch him.

Is this a good or bad thing?

It's ok if we have the ball not so good when we are trying to win it back. Eagleton is relying on someone else creating a turnover, if it happens great he is all by himself, but if it doesn't we get burnt as we have one less player applying pressure.

Scorlibo
14-12-2007, 11:49 AM

It's ok if we have the ball not so good when we are trying to win it back. Eagleton is relying on someone else creating a turnover, if it happens great he is all by himself, but if it doesn't we get burnt as we have one less player applying pressure.

True, and when we do have the ball it is crucial that we don't, and eagle doesn't, make a turnover. Last year Eagleton's disposal skills hit a low, he seemed to be carrying the ball too far and putting himself under pressure from the opposition and also being too tired to make a decent pass to a leading forward. And as Mantis said, when this happens the opposition have an extra player on the rebound to hurt us with.
For mine I think Eagleton should try and go long more often, because he has a great long kick, and if it doesn't pay off he has a bit more time to push back, and if he does run to the fifty, he should back himself in for goal, instead of trying some tired, fiddly pass to a leading forward.

Sockeye Salmon
14-12-2007, 11:55 AM

Funnily enough, v Adelaide over there last year was the most frustrated I've been with Eagle and ironically the piece of play most indicitive of it ended with Eagle kicking a goal.

At one centre bounce, Eagle was on the wing nearest the camera and he and his opponent took off towards each one's own goal. Boyd scrambled a kick out of the centre, Eagle gathered and goaled with his opponent 50 metres away.

We got smashed at the clearances that day. Eagle was very lucky in this instance, but how many times did it work against us?

Go_Dogs
15-12-2007, 11:33 AM
I remember that piece of play too. At some stoppages that game, we would have about 4 players running in front of the ball, occasionally we got lucky. Eagleton certainly wasn't the only player doing it.