PDA

View Full Version : The next three weeks and our 2014 draw.

Maddog37
15-08-2013, 03:01 PM
If we can finish the year with a few more wins what do people think the impact on our fixturing will be? I thought of this issue when reading the Essendon drugs thread and one of our learned posters suggested that the Bombres could be punished with a bad draw containing no Friday night games, short breaks and heaps of Sunday twilight spots. Basically our draw from this year.

Someone needs to get a piece of the druglords nice fixture and who rather than us looks to be on the up and plays an exciting, entertaining brand of football?

The next three weeks may well be more about just points and team confidence.........

bornadog
15-08-2013, 03:09 PM
I was thinking if we can win the next three weeks then, we may be able to do a 2005 (into 2006) and carry the momentum into 2014. You would hope we could get less 4.40pm games next year.

always right
15-08-2013, 03:14 PM
I wouldn't want to have St Kilda's draw next year.

Sedat
15-08-2013, 03:20 PM
If we can finish the year with a few more wins what do people think the impact on our fixturing will be? I thought of this issue when reading the Essendon drugs thread and one of our learned posters suggested that the Bombres could be punished with a bad draw containing no Friday night games, short breaks and heaps of Sunday twilight spots. Basically our draw from this year.

Someone needs to get a piece of the druglords nice fixture and who rather than us looks to be on the up and plays an exciting, entertaining brand of football?

The next three weeks may well be more about just points and team confidence.........
Really good point Maddog. We got a lot of (deserved) prime time FTA coverage in 2009 and 2010 so a strong finish to this season should see us getting more attractive TV exposure next season.

I think Richmond will be the biggest beneficiary following the Essendon doping scandal. They are on the rise and have a massive latent supporter base. If I was Benny Gale, I'd be making some serious enquiries about Anzac Day to the AFL right now as well.

The Scottish EPL has barely suffered any drop in attendances, ratings or revenue with Rangers being relegated to the bottom tier - and Rangers are far more important to the Scottish EPL than Essendon are to the AFL. Contrary to popular opinion, the AFL will be cope fine even in the unlikely event that Essendon are kicked out of the competition for a year or two.

Mofra
15-08-2013, 04:14 PM
The Scottish EPL has barely suffered any drop in attendances, ratings or revenue with Rangers being relegated to the bottom tier - and Rangers are far more important to the Scottish EPL than Essendon are to the AFL. Contrary to popular opinion, the AFL will be cope fine even in the unlikely event that Essendon are kicked out of the competition for a year or two.
Yep - was also mentioned on another unnamed football-themed website that Juvetus was relegated the year after their doping controversies, and they were one of the two biggest clubs in Italy and one of the bigger clubs in Europe.

Greystache
15-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Really good question Maddog.

There is quite a bit of excitement around us at the moment, particularly from some of the media (G Healy is practically gushing) so if we can win the last 3 we can ride that wave for the next 6 months. I don't doubt that excitement will play a role in us getting an improved draw.

There's a lot to play for these next 3 weeks.

Mofra
15-08-2013, 05:02 PM
Really good question Maddog.

There is quite a bit of excitement around us at the moment, particularly from some of the media (G Healy is practically gushing) so if we can win the last 3 we can ride that wave for the next 6 months. I don't doubt that excitement will play a role in us getting an improved draw.

There's a lot to play for these next 3 weeks.
If we win all three, it is likely to cost us only 1 spot in the draft, but lead to an absolute and complete buy-in to B-Mac's mantra by everyone involved with the club or who supports the club. Imagine the vibe throughout pre-season.

Screw tanking and 'experimentation", I'll be barracking for wins.

Greystache
15-08-2013, 05:06 PM
If we win all three, it is likely to cost us only 1 spot in the draft, but lead to an absolute and complete buy-in to B-Mac's mantra by everyone involved with the club or who supports the club. Imagine the vibe throughout pre-season.

Screw tanking and 'experimentation", I'll be barracking for wins.

We might have to play the intra-club match at Etihad! :D

LostDoggy
15-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Ol' Gerard really loves us, doesn't he?

I don't think we'll get the magic draw we want, as our membership is still very low, but I can foresee us getting a few less Sunday twilights and maybe one extra Friday night game.

I'd be satisfied with playing Collingwood at the 'G as a home game. Would make serious bank.

Ozza
15-08-2013, 05:49 PM
I'd just be happy with the 5,000 memberships that finishing the year with 4 wins on the trot would generate.

Maybe we're putting the cart before the horse a bit - Adelaide are still a very small hope of playing finals - and flogged us in Round 4....but I'm confident.

josie
15-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Agree with all the posters - wins are good for membership, possibly better fixture, confidence & momentum for players & coaches.

It also sends message we do not tinker with form - we are a "straight as a die" club.

And boy - it is so good to SING THE DOGGIES SONG at end of game & go home with a big grin on your face.

I'm really happy with direction club is heading - I trust they'll recruit as well next yr as well as we did this yr too.

Maddog37
15-08-2013, 07:46 PM
Winning also makes it easier to recruit quality players.

G-Mo77
15-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Mid way through this season I wouldn't have really wanted to win too many more and focus on getting the best possible draft pick. Now that I've tasted a few wins and remembered that awesome feeling of celebrating after a great win I want to win them all. Our team is now playing with a lot of self belief and we really need to take that into 2014.

I want a hard draw next year as well. Our draws was reasonably tough in 2013 and we would have learnt a lot from playing against the good teams. I want to go against the best again and not just push them but sneak away with a win or two. I'd love to get Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Fremantle and Geelong all twice next year.

azabob
15-08-2013, 09:49 PM
I want a hard draw next year as well. Our draws was reasonably tough in 2013 and we would have learnt a lot from playing against the good teams. I want to go against the best again and not just push them but sneak away with a win or two. I'd love to get Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Fremantle and Geelong all twice next year.

Agree 100%.

Mofra
16-08-2013, 10:20 AM
We might have to play the intra-club match at Etihad! :D
On a side note, our intra-club match this year will include Footscray VFL players - could we feasibly see a "Western Bulldogs vs Footscray" intra-club?

always right
16-08-2013, 11:42 AM
On the back of our vastly improved performances I'm so excited that we will get the right development into our players in the VFL next year. Isn't it amazing how quickly our mindset has charged with some good performances and positive announcements.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Winning also makes it easier to recruit quality players.

Very good point, especially as we're earmarked to be a big player in the FA market this year.

Mid way through this season I wouldn't have really wanted to win too many more and focus on getting the best possible draft pick. Now that I've tasted a few wins and remembered that awesome feeling of celebrating after a great win I want to win them all. Our team is now playing with a lot of self belief and we really need to take that into 2014.

This is what a winning culture is.

Imagine Melbourne a few years ago — going nowhere, losing games left right and centre, the only positive being a high draft pick. Then, as human nature would have it, the positive becomes the focus because shit, who wants to dwell on how crap you are?

Before too long, that positive is the only positive and its self-fulfilling.

I agree, you'd learn far more getting beaten by Sydney, Geelong or Hawthorn than you would beating St Kilda, Melbourne and GWS. (Though you still need the wins interspersed throughout the season).

I want a tough draw in terms of teams played, but am hoping we get a little better looked after in terms of coverage and timeslot, and helping to maximise our already-limited revenue potential.