PDA

View Full Version : Macca's Press Conference today

bornadog
15-08-2013, 03:03 PM
Loved this press conference (see here) (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-08-15/press-conference-mccartney-15-aug-13.workstation)

Some highlights:

* Says Grant is a character and loved around the club

* Funny bit near the end where he thought Cooney had done something wrong and was about to send the runner out, then he realised it was Tom Young:D

* Asked about Essendon players we may be targeting

* talks about recruiting a forward but doesn't give away much and lots more.

Including:

There has been an emphasis on education under Senior Coach Brendan McCartney and while the Western Bulldogs are out of finals contention, there is still plenty more to learn.

“You can take a lot out of every game you play in,” McCartney said.

“We have probably been as consistent as anyone… as a club about the direction we are taking and how we want to go about it.

“[We are] continually modifying and adapting our team – that process won’t change for us.”

The consistent approach is paying off for the Bulldogs, as they have backed up with a number of strong performances recently, including wins against West Coast Eagles and Carlton.

The increased intensity around the contest signifies McCartney’s physical brand of football is becoming second nature at Whitten Oval.

Better ball movement and forward line function has also contributed to the team’s growing confidence.

“[We have seen] a lot of improvements, probably in some areas we have been chipping away at for a while,” he said.

“It’s an interesting time of year… sometimes momentum changes from club to club when you get later in the season.

“At the moment we have a good balance of how we are playing, our team is quite stable, I think our players are in a good level of confidence.”

Recent form suggests the Bulldogs are well placed for their final three matches against Adelaide (12th), Brisbane Lions (13th) and Melbourne (17th), as they aim to carry momentum into the pre-season.

“We are really positive about getting the best results that we can in the next three weeks,” he said.

“That is no guarantee that it delivers you wins or improved performances next year, you have to start again in the pre-season and build on what we’ve done.”

bornadog
15-08-2013, 03:29 PM
and some more if you haven't watched it.

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Brendan McCartney has refused to buy into speculation linking his club to Essendon pair Stewart Crameri and Scott Gumbleton.

The Bomber forwards are said have caught the eye of the Bulldogs, with AFL.com.au revealing in June that Crameri could command a four-year deal worth up to $1.8 million from the Bulldogs.

But McCartney agreed the Bulldogs would discuss the mental toll on the players caught up in the ongoing supplements scandal ahead of this year's trade period.

In a sign of the broader impact the supplements saga is having on the game, it is a subject McCartney said would have to be canvassed.

"That's a hot question," McCartney said.

"We don't talk about who we're targeting, it's a discussion that'll be held at the right time I'm sure."

"I think all clubs do their research and they do their planning and they investigate one, why you want to bring a player to your club, and two, what they bring mentally and physically and we'll do that.

"I don't think we'll go crazy - we've always said we're primarily a draft and develop (club).

"But there's still free agency and there's still trade week, and we have deficiencies on our list, and there's still three ways to help fix up."

McCartney said talks were continuing between the footy department, the club's list management team, midfielder Adam Cooney and his agent.

"We have discussions all the time, but they're four-way discussions, so it's never as simple as it seems.

"All our players are required players.

"You get to the end of the year and you make decisions about where you've come from and where you're going, and we're right in the middle of that now."

Cooney, 28, has been hampered by injuries in recent years. He is ranked 204 in the Official AFL Player Ratings.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Reading between the lines, it sounds like he really likes Crameri's style of play -- talks about a need for somebody who isn't necessarily a giant, but a "big bodied midfielder-esque" forward who works up the ground and can compete one on one.

Describes Crameri to a T.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2013, 03:57 PM
If all our players are required players.... Well... I'm confused...

Mofra
15-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Reading between the lines, it sounds like he really likes Crameri's style of play -- talks about a need for somebody who isn't necessarily a giant, but a "big bodied midfielder-esque" forward who works up the ground and can compete one on one.

Also describes his wish list last year - pre-draft he mentioned we would want a big-bodied half forward who could "do it all". Stringer pick 5 :cool:

It seems a precurser to his preferred player type and style - create contests, win contests, score from contests. Our scoring from throw ins and contested situations, despite our forwardline issues, has been more than adequate this year.

At a guess, I think Macca prefers a Minson type ruckman to a skinny athlete ruckman ;)

Maddog37
15-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Apart from whether he can coach or not, I find Macca a really likeable and interesting guy. Seems to command respect from journos even.

GVGjr
15-08-2013, 04:20 PM

Colin Sylvia?

Greystache
15-08-2013, 04:25 PM
Also describes his wish list last year - pre-draft he mentioned we would want a big-bodied half forward who could "do it all". Stringer pick 5 :cool:

It seems a precurser to his preferred player type and style - create contests, win contests, score from contests. Our scoring from throw ins and contested situations, despite our forwardline issues, has been more than adequate this year.

At a guess, I think Macca prefers a Minson type ruckman to a skinny athlete ruckman ;)

halle*!*!*!*!inglujah!!

bornadog
15-08-2013, 04:36 PM
Colin Sylvia?

Noooooooooooooo

chef

And would be close to the last player he would want to get rid of.

chef
Noooooooooooooo

Not even for free?

bornadog
15-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Not even for free?

Nothing is for free.

I don't rate Colin at all.

Happy Days
15-08-2013, 04:47 PM
Nothing is for free.

I don't rate Colin at all.

I'm firmly against anyone who has ever had the police called on them by their girlfriend.

LostDoggy
15-08-2013, 04:56 PM

They're required — until they're not required any more. :)

Apart from whether he can coach or not, I find Macca a really likeable and interesting guy. Seems to command respect from journos even.

I think it's his slow, measured and quiet tone. Hard to get yourself too excitable when talking to a bloke like that. He also talks as straight down the line as possible (without giving away the trade secrets of course) and this would impress any journalist.

I feel like they don't need to “analyse” (interpret) his messages, they speak loud and clear on their own.

always right
15-08-2013, 05:26 PM
They're required — until they're not required any more. :)

I think it's his slow, measured and quiet tone. Hard to get yourself too excitable when talking to a bloke like that. He also talks as straight down the line as possible (without giving away the trade secrets of course) and this would impress any journalist.

I feel like they don't need to “analyse” (interpret) his messages, they speak loud and clear on their own.

He also has a habit of stroking their ego with his responses......."That's a good point".....or "Good question".

Cagey old bugger.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2013, 06:06 PM
Colin Sylvia?

Is he a free agent GVG?

Personally, yes. I know he doesn't have many fans, but the guy can play. Seriously play. He hasn't been able to live up to consistent expectation at Melbourne, but in the last 6 or so years, who has? I don't think he's a natural leader or an elite player, which is why he's struggled a bit at Melbourne given he has generally received strong attention from opposition.

I think he'd be a smart recruit, so long as his attitude was solid. He is very strong, a fantastic mark and reasonably skillful -- a bit of a poor man's Brad Johnson, in terms of style.

He would compliment our set-up and adds experience (Gia/Cross gone after this year). I've always thought he could be a much better player at a better club.

bulldogtragic
15-08-2013, 06:20 PM
If Cooney goes as a FA, and we get Sylvia as a FA, our compo gets reduced. Just saying.

LostDoggy
15-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Is he a free agent GVG?

Personally, yes. I know he doesn't have many fans, but the guy can play. Seriously play. He hasn't been able to live up to consistent expectation at Melbourne, but in the last 6 or so years, who has? I don't think he's a natural leader or an elite player, which is why he's struggled a bit at Melbourne given he has generally received strong attention from opposition.

I think he'd be a smart recruit, so long as his attitude was solid. He is very strong, a fantastic mark and reasonably skillful -- a bit of a poor man's Brad Johnson, in terms of style.

He would compliment our set-up and adds experience (Gia/Cross gone after this year). I've always thought he could be a much better player at a better club.

On all available evidence (I don't know the man) it looks unlikely.

LostDoggy
15-08-2013, 06:46 PM
He also has a habit of stroking their ego with his responses......."That's a good point".....or "Good question".

Cagey old bugger.

Memorized every journo's name as well. "Thanks Janet", "You're right Paul"

Cagey bugger indeed :D

ratsmac
15-08-2013, 07:35 PM

Describes Paul Chapman to a T too. I always get the impression that he trying to recreate a geelong team, which isn't a bad thing I suppose.

GVGjr
15-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Is he a free agent GVG?

I was trying to think of a forward who could also take a spell in the midfield. There was a time I thought he could be a good footballer but the gaps between his best and worst games is significant. Still there is no doubt that he can play some good games. I just don't know if he would fit into our club. His age might work against him with us.

The Bulldogs Bite
15-08-2013, 11:31 PM
I was trying to think of a forward who could also take a spell in the midfield. There was a time I thought he could be a good footballer but the gaps between his best and worst games is significant. Still there is no doubt that he can play some good games. I just don't know if he would fit into our club. His age might work against him with us.

He'd be about 26/27 wouldn't he?

bornadog
15-08-2013, 11:32 PM
He'd be about 26/27 wouldn't he?

28 in November.

LostDoggy
16-08-2013, 12:16 AM

Maybe not quite literal, although Macca strikes me as the type of coach who is the last person at the club to give up on a player.

BulldogBelle
16-08-2013, 12:37 AM
It'll be interesting to see how he comments on our "trimming the fat" at the end of the season.

Rocket went on record saying we were better off after the 2007 delistings, saying we were rid of any list cloggers.

Mofra
16-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Given everything Macca's said over the year, the slightly smug look he seems to get when trading is mentioned.... have we lined up a signing that will cost us little/nothing a la Nick Lower last year?

We have huge cap space and a low PSD pick. I was impressed with how we worked last year so I wouldn't be surprised.

azabob
16-08-2013, 12:28 PM
Given everything Macca's said over the year, the slightly smug look he seems to get when trading is mentioned.... have we lined up a signing that will cost us little/nothing a la Nick Lower last year?

We have huge cap space and a low PSD pick. I was impressed with how we worked last year so I wouldn't be surprised.

Intersting observation, as the jurno will mention trading, and he pretty much swithches the conversation to free agency, so perahps you are right? J-MAC also is speaking from the same hymn book.

bulldogsthru&thru
16-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Funny old game. Anyone else notice the increased media attention on our club in recent weeks? Amazing what a few wins can do.

Im just pleased to see (perception or not) an increased respect for our club. I feel we are becoming a strong cultured club with Macca mostly responsible for this. When he was first appointed he sent a clear message of a culture rebuild as well as an on-field rebuild. We've always had the history but our identity seems to be becoming stronger and with that comes respect. Should fare well for us when negotiating/attracting/retaining players.

westdog54
16-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Intersting observation, as the jurno will mention trading, and he pretty much swithches the conversation to free agency, so perahps you are right? J-MAC also is speaking from the same hymn book.

Very composed media performer. Complete opposite to the Sheedy/Malthouse circuses.

azabob
16-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Very composed media performer. Complete opposite to the Sheedy/Malthouse circuses.

Totally agree. I love listening to BMAC regardless of the setting.