PDA

View Full Version : Dogs close on Cooney deal

Axe Man
16-08-2013, 01:06 PM
http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/WesternBulldogs/Photo%20Galleries/2013%20-%20Galleries/Round%2012%20v%20Collingwood/291175-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Dogs close on Cooney deal (http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-08-16/dogs-close-on-cooney-deal)

OUT-OF-CONTRACT Western Bulldog Adam Cooney expects to finalise a new deal with the club before the end of the season.

Rival clubs have shown growing interest since the restricted free agent put off contract talks earlier in the year.

But despite coach Brendan McCartney recently saying there is 'a bit to work at' before securing the Brownlow medallist's signature, Cooney has re-iterated his desire to be a one-club player.

"We're in negotiations at the moment with the club, so fingers crossed it will get sorted out soon," Cooney told AFL.com.au.

"They're getting there. I'd like to think we'll get it sorted out if not before the end of the season certainly not too long after that.

"I'd love to be a Bulldog for life. They're the club that gave me my start. As I said, I've been here ten years now. I only live five minutes down the road, so it's a place that I certainly love."

Cooney also poured cold water on speculation he is feeling the lure from his home state of South Australia.

"I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the Melbourne lifestyle," Cooney said.

"My kids just go to school down the road. I don't think we'll be heading back to Adelaide any time soon."

Cooney, who plays his 200th game against the Crows on Sunday, has battled a degenerative knee condition for a number of years.

However, he is confident he has it under control and says he won't need surgery in the off-season.

"I'm just feeling fit and running on top of the ground, and I've got my speed back, which is good," Cooney said.

"It's not too bad at the moment. I've been managing it really well with the club and just doing what I need to do training-wise to feel good and feel fresh going into each game.

"I won't have to have surgery, touch wood, at the end of the year ... It's just rest, and manage it, and then a big pre-season again.

"I love playing footy. I've played for ten years now. It's pretty much the one thing that I've been good at in my life, so hopefully I can play for a few more years yet."

ADAM COONEY ON:
Whether he though he'd get to 200 games
"I didn't think I'd get there when I first got drafted, that's for sure. I was a slightly overweight kid from Adelaide when I came across and if you said that I'd play 200 games I would have laughed at you in my first couple of years.

"The last couple of years I have (doubted it). Obviously with my knee injury that I've been battling with the last couple of years, there was a few doubts there, but I've managed to do probably 80-90 per cent of pre-season this year. I've only missed two games this year, so it's been a positive year for me."

How long he can keep playing
"Seven or eight (years) probably, max. I'm not too sure. I'll take it year by year, and we'll see how we go. Hopefully two or three."

Brendan McCartney's influence
"He's a real edgy character, Brendan. He had a plan as soon as he walked in the door. It's taken a while for it to come out. He really wanted us to focus on our contested ball. He thinks that's where the game is won and lost. We've been developing that the last twelve to eighteen months and we're starting to work on other sides of our game, which he's teaching us now."

Tom Liberatore
"I think he's probably in All Australian form. He's leading the AFL in clearances I think, and hard-ball gets. He's certainly an in-and-under type player and for a 21-year old, it's remarkable what he's been able to do."

Brian Lake's chances of winning a flag
"I think they're certainly in for a big shot. It was probably a good move for him. The club got a young pick in Nathan Hrovat as well, who we think's going to be a great player. Do I miss him around the club? Not too much. I'm able to focus a little bit more, now that he's gone. He used to stir me up every now and then, but he's certainly a great mate of mine."

The state of the game
"I think the game's in pretty good shape. I certainly don't spend too much time worrying about rule changes or subs or anything like that. You can't change it, so you've just got to go with what the AFL serves up."

Best player in the game right now
"Gary Ablett Jnr."

Toughest opponent
"Toughest one was probably Cameron Ling. Geelong were obviously a powerhouse side and he was their main man. I had some good battles with Lingy, and he got the better of me most times."

Whether Rodney Eade should return to coaching
"I think if he's still got that passion to do it, which I think he's said publicly, I think he'd be a great fit for any number of teams."

Barry Hall or Jason Akermanis
"They're both pretty different types of players. I think Barry came to our club and made a real impact with the group. Aker did as well for a few years. I think Barry kicked 80 goals one year when he was here so I'll go with Baz."

Great to hear this from Adam. Hopefully both sides are reasonable in their negotiations and they can agree on a new deal soon.

Ozza
16-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Of course I read the word 'close' from the heading in an optimistic way.
As in 'close the deal' (seal the deal!), rather than being (near) close to doing the deal.

In any case - good news regarding re-signing a club great.

Maddog37
16-08-2013, 01:48 PM
This is great news. Good clubs keep their good players and Coons is a gun.

Next year will be even better for him I predict. Fingers crossed its with us.

chef
16-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Great news.

Bulldog4life
16-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Terrific news. Think Coons will stay now after reading this.

KT31
16-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Great to see some players have loyalty and want to be 'one club players'.
Once pen is to paper I will be very pleased.

bornadog
16-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Great to see some players have loyalty and want to be 'one club players'.
Once pen is to paper I will be very pleased.

I am not celebrating till this happens, but this does give me confidence he will.

ledge
16-08-2013, 06:49 PM
He might want to be a one club player but with his knee if a club came along and offered more years he would be mad not to have a good look. It also depends on what the club think is where the draw the line.
Just who and what is his manager like also comes into the picture.

ratsmac
17-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Good news. He seems to have bought in to Maccas plan going forward. He looked disinterested a month ago. Now he look like he wants to play for us. Very good for the club if he signs.

bornadog
17-08-2013, 01:58 PM
Good news. He seems to have bought in to Maccas plan going forward. He looked disinterested a month ago. Now he look like he wants to play for us. Very good for the club if he signs.

I really don't buy into this thing that Cooney looked disinterested a month ago. Several posters have brought this up. He had just come off an injury and I feel he was still getting over it and was not running as hard as he normally does and his confidence was down.

AndrewP6
17-08-2013, 02:22 PM
I really don't buy into this thing that Cooney looked disinterested a month ago. Several posters have brought this up. He had just come off an injury and I feel he was still getting over it and was not running as hard as he normally does and his confidence was down.

Agreed 100%, I never saw it at all.

ratsmac
17-08-2013, 02:53 PM

Well I hope it was lack of confidence, but he was playing poorly by his standards and with the fact that his contract negotiations had come to a stale mate, it appeared to some that his head may be elsewhere. Lake (his best mate) had the same body language at one point. I think we could be excused for thinking the worst. I am happy to be a bad reader of his body language if he signs, but it would be interesting to see how close he is/was to considering his options at another club.

azabob
17-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Good news. He seems to have bought in to Maccas plan going forward. .

Has he though? I know the written word can be taken out of context but I found this really interesting

Brendan McCartney's influence
"He's a real edgy character, Brendan. He had a plan as soon as he walked in the door. It's taken a while for it to come out. He really wanted us to focus on our contested ball. He thinks that's where the game is won and lost. We've been developing that the last twelve to eighteen months and we're starting to work on other sides of our game, which he's teaching us now."

Greystache
17-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Personally I won't be convinced he's staying until he's signed.

The Underdog
17-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Personally I won't be convinced he's staying until he's signed.

I'm a bit the same. Really hope he does but want to see it confirmed before I get excited.

Scraggers
22-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-22/cooney-commits-to-dogs?camefrom=EMCL_123843_7059004)

Just signed until 2015 !!!:D yeah baby !!

westdog54
22-08-2013, 05:18 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-22/cooney-commits-to-dogs?camefrom=EMCL_123843_7059004)

Just signed until 2015 !!!:D yeah baby !!

I guess we were closer than everyone thought?

Not complainaing though!!