PDA

View Full Version : Whitnall in the PSD, Yay or Nay?

westdog54
13-10-2007, 10:23 AM
The question is simple. Lance Whitnall has been sacked by Carlton.

Should we pick him up in the PSD on a one year, performance-based contract.

I say yes. There's little available in the way of key forwards this year other than Brennan, who will be picked up rather quickly methinks.

If he can show that he's fit, and his price is reasonable, I say we take a chance. Richmond did it with Rodan (although I'd be waiting until the PSD).

I'm happy to be shot down in flames on this, though I see the idea has lukewarm support so far.

GVGjr
13-10-2007, 10:44 AM
I really don't see this happening but if you think it's worthwhile you could probably get him to come and start training with us and take it from there. We would have about 6 weeks to gauge if he was capable of adding any value for us. Carlton obviously shopped him around but there was no takers.

Sedat
13-10-2007, 11:27 AM
He is a liability in today's game. Play him down back, he is too slow to keep up with his opponent. Play him up forward, opposition backmen run off him. He is not tall - 190cms is the height of most modern midfielders. I would personally avoid him like the plague.

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 11:28 AM
Would the Tigers or Dees get him before us?

I see that the Saints have delisted Fergus Watts - could be an interesting one to look at for the longer term, although he has had a run of Walsh-like injuries.

Sedat
13-10-2007, 11:31 AM
I see that the Saints have delisted Fergus Watts - could be an interesting one to look at for the longer term, although he has had a run of Walsh-like injuries.
Watts is super slow, even for a big man. Not sure if he is cut out for the modern game either. Even the gorillas like Jon Brown have good pace off the mark and great endurance to get to contest after contest.

firstdogonthemoon
13-10-2007, 11:36 AM
He is a liability in today's game. Play him down back, he is too slow to keep up with his opponent. Play him up forward, opposition backmen run off him. He is not tall - 190cms is the height of most modern midfielders. I would personally avoid him like the plague.

His sister-in-law seems pretty scary. If she's available, she might be a good defensive combination with Harris.

Just make sure you invite her kids to the zoo.

DOG GOD
13-10-2007, 11:43 AM

dont want him AT ALL!!!

MrMahatma
13-10-2007, 11:54 AM
No to Whitnall.

Interesting that Watts got the a$$.... he was talked up a lot on BF a couple of years ago when the Crows were off loading him. Seems it didn't work out.

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Will there be old hard nuts and/or taggers in the PSD?

Not world beaters I know, but IMHO the team could be toughened up even more. Would Chick or Pevrill be worth a look?

G-Mo77
13-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Will there be old hard nuts and/or taggers in the PSD?

Not world beaters I know, but IMHO the team could be toughened up even more. Would Chick or Pevrill be worth a look?

I didn't realise he had been given his walking papers. When did that happen?

Dry Rot
13-10-2007, 12:56 PM
I didn't realise he had been given his walking papers. When did that happen?

Could be wrong - thought I read it on BF.

Go_Dogs
13-10-2007, 01:12 PM
I'd certainly send a few invites to a few guys. If they can convince us the attitude, application and ability is there, why not role the dice on them. Since we are going to have an exceptionally young squad next year, boosting a spot or 2 with a player who can give us a few years value, at little cost, could be a good option.

The Underdog
13-10-2007, 01:45 PM
I'd say no to Whitnall. If he had anything left Carlton would have held onto him. I'd also rather try and develop someone young than use a stopgap like Whitnall.

dog town
13-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Whitnall's body has failed him. He needs to get alot of work into himself to be at his best and his body wont let him work hard enough for long enough. Big nay from me.

The Doctor
13-10-2007, 03:29 PM
The biggest nay I've ever issued on this one!

Bulldog Revolution
13-10-2007, 04:12 PM
The biggest nay I've ever issued on this one!

Im with the Doctor

Whatever games are invested in Whitnall should be given to Tiller, Everitt, Williams, Wight etc to see if they have key forward talents

The Bulldogs Bite
13-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Watts could be worth a look at.

Still young, good mark/kick. Had a few injuries. I'd at least invite him down to make an assessment.

LostDoggy
13-10-2007, 07:29 PM
How did his degen. knee condition come about? Is it just a case of a small knock that flared up or was it always going to happen?

W W Biscuit
14-10-2007, 06:09 PM
I've heard the question of Whitnall put to Rocket a couple of times, and he has responded with an emphatic NO. I would be very surprised if we looked at him, even though he will come dirt cheap.

Mofra
15-10-2007, 07:31 PM
No.

Rocket has said he wont draft anyone that can't physically offer a 3 year commitment to the team. Not sure where that puts teh Brad Smith rumours, but I don;t want Whitnall at the club.

My whispers tell me wthout the off field dramas he could have been nursed through a final season, he was a 50/50 prospect without them.

Scorlibo
16-10-2007, 08:04 PM
Whitnall could still give a team great value, he didnt win the Carlton B + F in 2006 for nothing, but the reality is that we're not the team that's going to take him - Eade's comments say it all.

LostDoggy
16-10-2007, 08:07 PM
His sister-in-law seems pretty scary. If she's available, she might be a good defensive combination with Harris.

Just make sure you invite her kids to the zoo.

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA!

Um, Whitnall? I say no way. Everyone has said we've rejected him and I AM GLAD.
No, I dont think he's got enough left in him.

LostDoggy
16-10-2007, 08:31 PM
No.
No to his fitness, no to his knees, no in general. Big no.
Plus, i dont know if we stock large enough guernseys to fit him ;)

FrediKanoute
17-10-2007, 01:49 AM
No.

Rocket has said he wont draft anyone that can't physically offer a 3 year commitment to the team. Not sure where that puts teh Brad Smith rumours, but I don;t want Whitnall at the club.

My whispers tell me wthout the off field dramas he could have been nursed through a final season, he was a 50/50 prospect without them.

This worries me a little. I see little point in picking up a guy with buggered knees who was playing WAFL (albeit kicking bags) and passing on Whitnall who was playing AFL. If they both have buggered knees there doesn't seem to be any point in pcking either and if you were going to pick one you'd pick Whitnall for mine simply because he is more likley to be able to play at the highest level.

That said.....its a no from me. Would previously have been interested, but not with a degenerative knee condition. If we are going to pick up guys in the PSD then Brennan (assuming he's around), Watt's would be the way I would go.....although what about Cousins?? Are WCE going to sack him?