PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 21

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 07:48 PM
This is the round 20 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Bankers:

Dicko - Didn't see it coming but 6 goals in the modern game is nothing to scoff at.

Big Tom - 4 goals some really big clunks in there.

Mitch Wallis - Just a fantastic team player like Crossy. Would be a great bloke to play footy with.

Anchors

Crows.
Umpires - terrible both ways.
3rd quarter

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 10:09 PM
Bankers:-

Mitch Wallis. Inspirational.

Tommy "Gun" Campbell. Strong in the marking contest, great to think he has a lot more scope for improvement as he gets better at the forward craft. Loved the contest on the wing where Dahl saw Tommy was coming to crash the pack and just got front and centre knowing Campbell would split it open - and he did just that.

Cooney. Trademark Cooney game, did some amazing things.

Anchors:-

Umpiring - woeful for both sides, thought we got a couple of lucky ones but so many that didn't go our way too. Oh well, we won so I don't care too much.

Defensive set up at stoppages - it seemed to me on a few occasions we just weren't setting up well enough with no defensive sweeper and the Crows were able to break a clearance out to one side or out the back and move the ball very effectively. We've been great in this area but today was a real let down and we simply must become better at adjusting quickly to become a genuinely elite team.

always right
18-08-2013, 10:14 PM
B:
Dickson.....I'm not a great fan but his second half was a match winning effort
Wallis.....such an honest player who gives it everything..and he's smart
Minson and Campbell.....our new dynamic duo

A:
Roughead.....after such an outstanding performance last week, he was constantly caught out of position tonight. Not great on leading forwards.
Addison.....started well tonight but then drifted out completely. Needs to do more.
Umpires calling speculative free kicks from 100m away.

LostDoggy
18-08-2013, 10:15 PM
Bankers

1. Dicko
2. Wally.
3. Whatever was said in the third quarter time huddle.

Anchors

1. I actually called for Dickson to be subbed at half time. What an idiot.
2. Findlay. You're a useless twit.

The bulldog tragician
18-08-2013, 10:22 PM
Bankers:
Wally.. How he's turned it round!
Libba.. Better every week.
Will..has shouldered such a load. What about that goal!!

Honorable mention: was surprised that Young got subbed off, but the coaching calls have been spot on lately.

Anchors:
Over officious officiators.
Fixturing..Sunday twilight games yuk.
I love Dylan Addison and usually defend him, but not a great game.

SonofScray
18-08-2013, 10:31 PM
Bankers:

1. Dickson: those 6 goals crept up on me. I wanted him subbed off at one stage. In front of addison in my mind now for what I see as a spot they should be competing for once Stringer is back in.

2. Tom Campbell: hit the scoreboard. Took some grabs. Dropped some, fumbled some and came back to take a few strong ones in response. Really heartening to see a big bloke play well when we probably wouldn't expect that of him yet.

3. Mitch Wallis: just going about his work really manfully. Doing a mountain of work and really revelling in the hard stuff. Not certain the stats reflect it, but he is playing a game that is really enjoyable to watch. The clamp.

Anchors

1. Behind the play free kicks. Too many niggly ones given IMO.
2. Holding the ball decision on Stevens, who to me appeared to get a hand pass away out in front as soon as he was tackled.
3. Roughie. Had a tough day at the office, well beaten on the lead and got turned around a bit. Looked OK up the field but they got on top of him deep and around the 50m arc.

Greystache
18-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Bankers

Dickson- Match winning effort, especially from a guy who missed 12 weeks and couldn't train. He is equal with Gia as the best finisher at the club.

Campbell- Continues to improve and show he has a lot to work with. Having a big guy deep in the forward who can impact a contest, threaten to take a mark, and hit the scoreboard is a welcome addition.

Wallis- Didn't get him in my votes but it was another great step forward today. Just gives everything he has.

Anchors

Umpiring- Too much interference from the non-controlling umpire, just let the game flow.

G-Mo77
19-08-2013, 12:36 AM
Bankers

Coooooooooons. Loudest I've heard that in ages.

Dickson. Was just on tonight. 6 goals yes but his pressure was fantastic.

Libba. Just wow.

Anchors.

Umpiring. What is with all the frees so far off the ball? Confusing. If I see umpire #28 again this season I'll choke myself so I can't choke him. Findlay...... Happy thoughts.......

Roughy. Looked lost tonight. Otten tore him apart.

Happy Days
19-08-2013, 12:47 AM
Roughy. Looked lost tonight. Otten tore him apart.

Agree with this; think we got the match ups wrong, Roughy should have gone to Johnston with Austin taking Otten.

Not that it really matters.

westbulldog
19-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Bankers
The form of the senior players.
The Hunter hard ball get when 7 pts down with 13 1/2 minutes to go in the last quarter.
Campbell - could be anything with a good pre season next year.

Anchors
I don't think Picken is suited down back.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 08:36 AM
The Hunter hard ball get when 7 pts down with 13 1/2 minutes to go in the last quarter.

How good was that!
Shades of Steve Wallis 1992 v West Coast @ WO.

bornadog
19-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Anchors

*Cooney sparking us in the last quarter, he wasn't going to let Adelaide spoil his party.
*Hunters specky then delivery into the forward line.
*Dickson. Campbell's goals

Anchors

As others have said, the umpiring. Off the ball niggling that doesn't effect the play from 100 metres away is not the time to give free kicks

always right
19-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Bankers
The form of the senior players.
Campbell - could be anything with a good pre season next year.

Anchors
I don't think Picken is suited down back.

Thought he continued his recent good form. He was beaten in the air twice last night which spoilt his night but I think he's truned his season around of late...like a number of his team mates.

soupman
19-08-2013, 08:52 AM
Bankers:

Will Minson: His highlights reel alone was pretty impressive. His goal was great, nearly repeated down the other end, and I would never have dreamed that the player on our list to chase down Dangerfield would be Will Minson, and I love how he spent the post tackle all over him too.

Tom Campbell: Relative to others on this forum I have been very supportive of Cordy and a bit less impressed with Campbell, but to his credit this second half of the year he has been sensational and has really shown that he can play. Is really providing a really strong marking target up forward.

The crowd, at least those that were there, were right into it. This is such an exciting time, and you can really feel it from those supporters that have turned up every week throughout this rebuilding process. There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. A lot of light.

Anchors:

The crowd, or moreover, the lack of it. I assume Adelaide had at least 2,000 supporters there, which means of our 30,000 members just half were there at best. That's crap. 15,000 people cannot use the excuse of it's a twilight game or they had other stuff on, and even if you did you'd surely be working around it to see the rebirth of your team as a tough, hard working and exciting team. If any of these supporters get a ticket to our multiple Grand Finals ahead of me I'll spew up!!!

Roughead played one of his worse games in defence. Just always seemed to be 3 metres away from where he needed to be and failed to impact the contest. I really rate him as a defender and am not entertained by any notions of turning him into a swingman or anything but I thought he was poor down back today.

Was this week "off the ball free" round in the AFL. I think I saw more off the ball frees paid yesterday than in any other whole round in my life. Very over officiated game, even if some of those dubious ones went to us instead. Special mention to the Easton Wood shot on goal where even the umpires looked confused over why an off the ball decision was made.

always right
19-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Whilst not off the ball....that free kick to Dickson in the last for over the shoulder was a disgraceful decision. If it had been us on the receiving end I reckon I would have invaded the field....which would be a fair effort from level 3.

soupman
19-08-2013, 09:04 AM
Matthew Boyd is another who probably deserves some credit. Often maligned for his disposal it was great to see him use the ball yesterday, and with him being better defensively he may be showing that he can fit into this side in a lesser role effectively.

Ozza
19-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Bankers:

- Cooney- change the momentum of the game back in our favour a couple of time during the day. Most notably the start of the last quarter.
- Our use of the Sub. Has been good all year, with Hunter the most recent sub to make a meaningful contribution.
- Wallis - another huge scalp and the way he ran out the game, his tackling, and gut running to get forward for a goal late in the game - another great game.

(The Captain also deserves a shout out - thought he was terriffic).

Anchors:
Its hard to label any players anchors - in another team effort.
-Roughead has been terriffic this year, but he didn't match up particularly well with Otten, and struggled.
- A 'half anchor' to Wood. He didn't play badly, but he still gets drawn into marking contests three deep, when he needs to stay down. Just needs to make betetr defensive choices sometimes, and his kicking wasn't great.

bornadog
19-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Matthew Boyd is another who probably deserves some credit. Often maligned for his disposal it was great to see him use the ball yesterday, and with him being better defensively he may be showing that he can fit into this side in a lesser role effectively.

He played less of an in and under player which meant he wasn't disposing the ball under so much pressure like he normally does. Libba has taken over his old role.

jeemak
19-08-2013, 12:59 PM
Whilst not off the ball....that free kick to Dickson in the last for over the shoulder was a disgraceful decision. If it had been us on the receiving end I reckon I would have invaded the field....which would be a fair effort from level 3.

I thought the free paid to Campbell in the 3rd was pretty ordinary as well.

Bankers:

Campbell - Great to have a big man capable of offering a presence and a viable marking option

Dickson - Excellent finishing. His opprotunities were fairly limited, and he made the most of them. I like his defensive game as well

Hunter - Excellent impact as the sub. Precisely what is needed from anyone fulfilling that role

Anchors:

Addison - Struggled to impact the game positively yesterday. Some around here are too harsh on him, others are too lenient. I see a limited footballer that needs to have a lot go his way for him to be effective. Some weeks it works OK for him, others it doesn't and I can't see him in our long term plans as our list evolves

Non-controlling umpire interference - It's not consistently applied, and I get frustrated the times it is. Too much is missed

bornadog
19-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Addison - Struggled to impact the game positively yesterday. Some around here are too harsh on him, others are too lenient. I see a limited footballer that needs to have a lot go his way for him to be effective. Some weeks it works OK for him, others it doesn't and I can't see him in our long term plans as our list evolves

Talking to one of the WOOFers at the game yesterday, our conclusion was, despite the fact we all love Addison, pure effort is no longer enough to be an AFL footballer. The game has moved past Addison, he gives us 120%, he throws himself at the contest, but you need more than that to impact a game, or even contribute to a game.

I am sure he will play the last two games of the season, but I can see him struggle next year as part of the BEST 22.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Bankers:

Will Minson: His highlights reel alone was pretty impressive. His goal was great, nearly repeated down the other end, and I would never have dreamed that the player on our list to chase down Dangerfield would be Will Minson, and I love how he spent the post tackle all over him too.

Tom Campbell: Relative to others on this forum I have been very supportive of Cordy and a bit less impressed with Campbell, but to his credit this second half of the year he has been sensational and has really shown that he can play. Is really providing a really strong marking target up forward.

The crowd, at least those that were there, were right into it. This is such an exciting time, and you can really feel it from those supporters that have turned up every week throughout this rebuilding process. There is definitely light at the end of the tunnel. A lot of light.

Anchors:

The crowd, or moreover, the lack of it. I assume Adelaide had at least 2,000 supporters there, which means of our 30,000 members just half were there at best. That's crap. 15,000 people cannot use the excuse of it's a twilight game or they had other stuff on, and even if you did you'd surely be working around it to see the rebirth of your team as a tough, hard working and exciting team. If any of these supporters get a ticket to our multiple Grand Finals ahead of me I'll spew up!!!

Roughead played one of his worse games in defence. Just always seemed to be 3 metres away from where he needed to be and failed to impact the contest. I really rate him as a defender and am not entertained by any notions of turning him into a swingman or anything but I thought he was poor down back today.

Was this week "off the ball free" round in the AFL. I think I saw more off the ball frees paid yesterday than in any other whole round in my life. Very over officiated game, even if some of those dubious ones went to us instead. Special mention to the Easton Wood shot on goal where even the umpires looked confused over why an off the ball decision was made.
It is also a real beef of mine Soupaman re our members not showing up. We all know many have good reason but where are the rest. Oh well their loss, they are missing a real enjoyable period, I have enjoyed the last six weeks as much as our recent good years.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2013, 01:27 PM
Talking to one of the WOOFers at the game yesterday, our conclusion was, despite the fact we all love Addison, pure effort is no longer enough to be an AFL footballer. The game has moved past Addison, he gives us 120%, he throws himself at the contest, but you need more than that to impact a game, or even contribute to a game.

I am sure he will play the last two games of the season, but I can see him struggle next year as part of the BEST 22.
I love DFA as a player always have, just so damn hard.

But 'gun to my head', I don't see him in our best 25-28 players next year. From the weekend just one, these forwards could replace him: Jones, Stringer, Hunter (non sub), Higgins, Williams, Hrovat, Macrae, (maybe Cordy 2.0) (or a Crameri/Gumby/Boyd/Thorp etc) all have arguments to be selected in front of DFA next year.

Not sure where he fits into our future, good depth player perhaps?

jeemak
19-08-2013, 01:31 PM

I'm really unsure whether he should be retained, not knowing his contract status makes it difficult to determine.

If he's not contracted for next year, do I see value in offering him one year to provide depth and hardness to our developing list? Probably.

Do I see him as a long term depth player at the club, or will I expect others to overtake him even within that role as the list matures? I'm leaning towards the latter.

It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff see things year end.

Maddog37
19-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Banker to the pre match function in the legends room. Free pies, photos with Chris Grant and holding the 54 cup was a great leade in to a very enjoyable game.

Cooneys effort to impose himself at the start of the last and the coaching group realizing he was taking marks on his opponent early in the game and sending him forward accordingly.

Lachy Hunter has fantastic instincts and when he gets a bit stronger will be impossible to tackle. His hanger was my match highlight.

Anchor for leaving Roughy on Otten. They tried to Play Roughy as the third man up but that only partially worked too.

bornadog
19-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Do I see him as a long term depth player at the club, or will I expect others to overtake him even within that role as the list matures? I'm leaning towards the latter.

It will be interesting to see how the coaching staff see things year end.

Unless someone comes knocking, I would leave him on the list as a depth player.

EasternWest
19-08-2013, 04:05 PM

I nearly fell out of my chair.

I've said somewhere else, when Addison isn't playing in our side, that means our team is better and I'm ok with that.

Until he's forced out, then he should play.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 06:08 PM
He's a unrestricted free agent.

EasternWest
20-08-2013, 01:41 PM
Bankers

Tom Campbell for busting the pack late in the fourth, which led to us getting a goal.

Will Minson chasing down Dangerfield and giving him a bit to go on with.

Mitch Wallis for making Dangerfield his bitch when Adelaide needed a matchwinner in the fourth.

Anchors

I'm still a bit concerned at the ease with which teams get out the back of us in contests. I think people were probably a bit harsh on Roughead. A number of times he was caught out of position when we coughed up a poor turnover or had the ball come out the back on us. I actually thought he did ok, other than that.

Scraggers for talking up a good "high five the coach" game, but squibbing it when his chance arose.

Ghost Dog
20-08-2013, 01:49 PM
Bankers: Brendan McCartney. For getting the win, but not being satisfied with the shoot out style, and admission we have a long way to go. I like his philosophy, coaching style and ability to communicate ideas.

Luke: Didn't have a big scoreboard impact, but was always pressuring and harrying. Ran himself ragged.
Campbell: Crashes the packs and provided a much needed physical presence in the high contest.
Mitch: Another quality scalp. Fantastic.

Anchors: Koby Steven's kicks under pressure. Master of the chaos ball.
The decision to play Picken at full back. Just didn't work and almost cost us the game.

Cyberdoggie
20-08-2013, 02:06 PM
Bankers:

Anchors:

I agree with the crowd, would of thought people would of attended, as we are a delight to watch lately.

Roughead, sure wasn't a great game but I think it was more that his match up wasn't a good one. Ottens perfectly exploited Rougheads weaknesses as a defender. Pace and Agility. Ottens turned and burned him, and got him on the leads. Roughy just couldn't match it with a smaller, quicker opponent. Without Walker there was no hulking slow forward for Roughy.

Mantis
20-08-2013, 02:16 PM
Bankers

Us - Didn't think I would be saying this 6 weeks ago, but we are actually enjoyable to watch at the minute.

Cooney - thought his 1st 5 minutes of the last quarter really got us going again.... In general his game was of a high standard.

Murphy - Just a class act down back... Flogged Patrenko (who had the audacity to carry on like a flog when he kicked a goal late in the 3rd with just his 4th touch) and gave us plenty of drive... Getting better with age.

Anchors

Addison - Battler.. Prefer others.

Stevens - Just can't warm to him, gets it ok, but either kicks it to no-one or handballs to a stationary or 'hot' team-mate.

Crowd - Disappointing attendance (but made plenty of noise when we were up and going).. We need people to attend if we are going to remain viable.

Remi Moses
20-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Bankers- Campbell( Venus flytrap like)
Dickson ( better and quicker ball movement makes a dangerous forward line)
Wallis( watching the replay, he was great on Dangerfield)
Libba( typed that name often )
Anchors Crowd( for god sake, turn up!!)
T20 footy( gotta be more defensive)

G-Mo77
20-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Will Minson chasing down Dangerfield and giving him a bit to go on with.

Got him with a nice hip and shoulder midway through the third I think. Dangerfield took a while to recover.

Crowd - Disappointing attendance (but made plenty of noise when we were up and going).. We need people to attend if we are going to remain viable.

I can never guess the crowd figure. From my view it looked to be quite a lot more there than at the Eagles game. The members area seem to have a lot more, maybe they pushed them into L1 seats.

azabob
20-08-2013, 03:05 PM
Bankers

Anchors

Stevens - Just can't warm to him, gets it ok, but either kicks it to no-one or handballs to a stationary or 'hot' team-mate.

Agree on is disposal but kicked a nice goal, 50 out in the last, which surprised.

always right
20-08-2013, 03:09 PM
Bankers

Us - Didn't think I would be saying this 6 weeks ago, but we are actually enjoyable to watch at the minute.

Cooney - thought his 1st 5 minutes of the last quarter really got us going again.... In general his game was of a high standard.

Murphy - Just a class act down back... Flogged Patrenko (who had the audacity to carry on like a flog when he kicked a goal late in the 3rd with just his 4th touch) and gave us plenty of drive... Getting better with age.

Anchors

Addison - Battler.. Prefer others.

Stevens appears to be to you what Dickson is to me:)

I actually think Stevens is getting better. Still occasionally offloads the ball to someone in a worse position but this is becoming less frequent.

Personally I like his physical presence, he's good overhead, he runs hard and his finishing is pretty good when he isn't rushed. We are a better side with him playing.

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Agree on is disposal but kicked a nice goal, 50 out in the last, which surprised.

When he was best on against St Kilda he used it very well. He's similar to Boyd I think, with good kicking at his best but no consistency in execution.

Sedat
20-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Bankers

Surprised by the lack of Bob love in the votes this week. I thought he played a flawless game apart from that shanked kick across goal in the 1st half (which luckliy didn't cost us). Petrenko was a complete and utter liability and got pantsed.

Mantis
20-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Stevens appears to be to you what Dickson is to me:)

I'm not a fan of Dickson either. :D

Mofra
20-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Bankers -
One particular contest Libba was out of position, somehow managed to take possession (as he was tackled) yet fed the ball out by hand perfectly. I know that technically inside mids are supposed to be easy to find, but in that bit of play I don't think there would be more than a handful of guys in the entire AFL that could have done it.

Dahl & Grant - if you're having a bad game, they say to try to make an impact. Grant led early often, taking Talia away from the fall of the ball leaving Campbell one-out numerous times. Dahl was barely touching it in the first half but would have racked up plenty of "defensive acts". Good to see this team-frst type of attitude.

Anchors -
Roughy was too selfless in a way, constantly leaving his opponent to help out. He normally gets the balance right, I think he didn't this week.

Young - a shocker, but has credits in the bank

Picken - Love his attitude, not sold on him as a small defender

LostDoggy
20-08-2013, 07:38 PM
Bankers

Mitch - that goal he kicked from hard running, he looked so focused he was never going to miss

Lachie- what a grab and passes to Gia and Mitch

Tor Tor - 6 goals straight

Anchors

none this week

F'scary
20-08-2013, 09:43 PM
Bankers:

Colonel Austin for earning a Mack Tough Boots nomination.

The Hunter for the speckie.

Tricky Dicky Dickson for showing us some more of last season's form. I thought he was a one season wonder until the past couple of weeks.