PDA

View Full Version : Gia and Cross

The Adelaide Connection
18-08-2013, 10:57 PM
There have been random mentions in other threads, but I think the time is right for this one to command its own.

What are peoples thoughts come seasons end? Should either be given another contract?

My thoughts have come 360, I would like to see both retained (obviously if Gia wants to go around again).

I don't think Gia will get any slower, he doesn't seem to be having any issues with his body at this stage, and he generally has had a great year. He could be managed again (with sub role stints) and at worst he would be excellent as playing mentor in the Footscray team.

We do have a lot of "one paced midfielders" but I would hate to see Cross go elsewhere. his form at Willi sounds like it has been excellent and he has shown he has a lot of footy left in the last two weeks. Something tells me that unfortunately we will cut him and he will end up at one of the expansion clubs or, as someone suggested, at Melbourne under Eade.

Rance Fan
18-08-2013, 11:05 PM
Keep them both on for 1 more year.
Great club men and leaders.
Still have enough to offer and will be great for the future VFL team

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 11:07 PM
The reason why we have been playing so well is that we have both the younger guys and the senior guys all performing as a solid unit.

The senior players have been terrific.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 11:11 PM
I'd let both of them make their own calls. The problem is, I don't think either can be guaranteed a game each week if they play on, but if they're accepting of that and willing to do the hard yards and help with the development of our younger players - then why not.

Gia has had a fantastic year and Crossy has been awesome since coming back in and playing very defensive roles.

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 11:13 PM
Gia has had a fantastic year and Crossy has been awesome since coming back in and playing very defensive roles.

There was a couple of his handballs were globetrotter like.

Go_Dogs
18-08-2013, 11:14 PM
There was a couple of his handballs were globetrotter like.

The highlight for me was his finish on goal after missing a couple of gettable ones last week.

I really rate Rory Sloane - given his style of play and his running ability he's not an easy man to keep quiet.

Hotdog60
18-08-2013, 11:26 PM
I really like both players but I think that if Gia cannot keep the ball in his control it goes very quickly back the other way without much pressure. Sure he is a good mentor and can kick goals when needed but as we have seen Hunter is a very smart player too and a bit quicker than Gia. Also don't forget Higgins. I think Gia should go but give him purpose in the VFL side.
Cross if he continues like he is at the moment I would give him 1 year with no guarantees. End of next year it could be Boyd and Morris. If keep Gia and Cross it would be 4 senior players in one hit.

Remi Moses
18-08-2013, 11:30 PM
No to both .
Can't afford to have possibly 5 players retire at once .
Both great players, but we need experience into the likes of Stringer Macrae and Hrovat.

bulldogtragic
18-08-2013, 11:33 PM
Not really sure, is next year a designated 'development' year? If so, maybe keep them on.

But if we're gunning for serious improvement, Hunter, Stringer, Mcrae, Hrovat, Stevens, Smith and others need to be played full time and stand up. They've all seen Gia and Cross for 12-24 months and know how they prepare, train and play. So it's not about being a role model, its about game time and delivering performances above and beyond what the kids just mentioned could do.

Gia and Cross will be another year older and another preseason on. If they're both not likely to play the majority of the year at at least their current form then the arguments to recruit new kids to refresh the list gets stronger. Keeping them on makes us feel good, not sure it's the best long term move.

Great servants no matter what happens.

bornadog
18-08-2013, 11:39 PM
Retire them both, I have loved their work but sometimes players just go that one years too long and the team suffers. Good examples from recent times are Johnno, Eagleton, Aker.

We can keep Boyd, Murphy, Morris as our over 30 players and we then have Cooney, Griff, Minson to add as senior players.

GVGjr
18-08-2013, 11:41 PM
We have to be very mindful not to fall into the easy trap. We need to learn a lesson from the way so many players in the last 5 years went on for one or two seasons too many.

It might all become clearer at the end of the season anyway.

Hotdog60
18-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Retire them both, I have loved their work but sometimes players just go that one years too long and the team suffers. Good examples from recent times are Johnno, Eagleton, Aker.

We can keep Boyd, Murphy, Morris as our over 30 players and we then have Cooney, Griff, Minson to add as senior players.

I knew I missed a senior player (Murphy). Bob looks like you could squeeze 2 years out of.
But yes maybe it time for Gia and Cross to go. They can thank the AFL for knocking a couple of years off players careers when they pushed so hard to speed the game up and then cut the inter-change to slow it down.

PedroArvy
18-08-2013, 11:53 PM
I agree to retiring both, there are too many younger talented players that need to get regular games and these guys are near the end.

comrade
19-08-2013, 12:12 AM
Surely Gia would make a great captain/coach of the VFL side?

Personally, I think Cross has another year in him. I just don't think it will be at the Bulldogs.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Surely Gia would make a great captain/coach of the VFL side?

Personally, I think Cross has another year in him. I just don't think it will be at the Bulldogs.

Agree on both. Personally would be comfortable retaining Cross but have a feeling the Club won't offer him another year. I hate our special players donning another jumper and mostly get bitter and twisted about it, but in Crossy's case I wouldn't mind - if he wants to play on and gets an offer elsewhere good luck to him. I thought Gia's retirement from the senior list was pretty much settled.

MrMahatma
19-08-2013, 12:36 AM
We should get more game time from Stringer, McRae, Hrovat, Tutt all next year. Higgins will hopefully be fit.
I'd say retire them both. Hard call to make though.

Greystache
19-08-2013, 12:57 AM
We're going to have a few retirements over the next couple of years and we need to plan effectively to stagger them evenly. I think we can only keep 1 of Cross, Gia, and Boyd and I'd be happy for whoever is rated by the coaching group as having the most to offer as a leader to be retained. I can't see it being Cross being, but if he's the one that is then I'd support the decision.

The Adelaide Connection
19-08-2013, 01:01 AM
I agree to retiring both, there are too many younger talented players that need to get regular games and these guys are near the end.

I agree that they are near the end and that we want to continue to get games into the young'ens, but I think it is a question of whether we put development before wins.

I would argue that we need to try to keep winning. I think that the confidence and development that the younger players are taking out of playing in these games where we are up and about and playing good footy is worth ten where we played awful turnover footy and got well beaten.

The question for me is more: will either of the two help us to keep winning? At the moment I would have to give them both a 'yes'. I really hope both get another year.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2013, 02:08 AM
We're going to have a few retirements over the next couple of years and we need to plan effectively to stagger them evenly. I think we can only keep 1 of Cross, Gia, and Boyd and I'd be happy for whoever is rated by the coaching group as having the most to offer as a leader to be retained. I can't see it being Cross being, but if he's the one that is then I'd support the decision.

Agreed.

Gia, Cross, Morris, Boyd and Murphy have 1-3 years left and we need to filter them accordingly, not have them retire all at once.

At least one has to go this season.

I can see Murphy, Morris and Boyd retiring at the same time which could be a problem.

westbulldog
19-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Keep them both on for 1 more year.
Great club men and leaders.
Still have enough to offer and will be great for the future VFL team

I agree entirely.

Bulldog Joe
19-08-2013, 08:15 AM

Totally agree.

Appears cetain that Boyd will go around again (surely not as captain).

Injuries this year probably indicate he is the one that should retire. If he did it would allow one of Cross or Gia to continue.

Having said that, Boyd played very well against the Crows and his kick to Dickson in the last was very un-boyd like in its precision.

azabob
19-08-2013, 08:35 AM
Totally agree.

Appears cetain that Boyd will go around again (surely not as captain).

Injuries this year probably indicate he is the one that should retire. If he did it would allow one of Cross or Gia to continue.

Having said that, Boyd played very well against the Crows and his kick to Dickson in the last was very un-boyd like in its precision.

Not only that, he lowered his eyes, normally would blast away.

always right
19-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Boyd's kicking was as precise as I've ever seen. Big tick last night.

azabob
19-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I would love to see both Gia and Cross go around again. On exposed form there is no reason why the shouldn't.

Having said all that I believe they both should not be at the club in 2014. We need to keep getting games into our younger players and keep the list turning over.

soupman
19-08-2013, 09:03 AM
I would love them both to keep playing, but I think neither should.

Gia has really shown a lot of supporters who still inexplicably didn't rate him just how good he is this year. And this is the first point in his career that he is not anybody's whipping boy. I think he is the perfect candidate to lead the Footscray side in 2014 in a captain/assistant coach capacity, and if he does do this for 2-3 years he may just make it to 300 games for our club (seniors and reserves).

Cross is another that I think would be perfect as a key leader at Footscray, but he is absolutely still AFL quality and would be a good fit for Melbourne if Rocket got the gig. He has been very good these last few weeks but I'm hoping next year that someone like Prudden gets this spot.

azabob
19-08-2013, 09:09 AM
I would love them both to keep playing, but I think neither should.

but I'm hoping next year that someone like Prudden gets this spot.

Great point about Prudden.

Hunter and Dickson can help replace Gia.

Bulldog Joe
19-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Another point to consider, is the available talent already on the list for 2014.

We really hope we need to find space in yesterday's team for
Stringer, Macrae, Hrovat, JJ, Talia, Higgins, Williams, Goodes, Smith (all been on the injured list)

This is without new draftees and any traded in players.

Is there really space for Gia and Cross.

We will still have senior leadership
Griffen, Morris, Murphy, Minson, Boyd and add Higgins/Williams when fit.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 10:05 AM
Put them both on the veterans list, so they're not taking a kid's spot, and play them as the captain/vice captain of the VFL team. They're both still around the club, both still available if we need them but not hampering anybody's development. It's a fine and fitting way to reward two great and courageous careers.

KT31
19-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Whilst Gia and Cross have both been wonderful players for our club and have been great this season, I would still like to see both or at least one step down and play for our reserve side.
Another season would mean another yard of pace gone and an extra day to get over the niggles.
Time is right now, we have young players who can slot straight into their spots without any disruption to the fabric of the side.
If we wait another season we will have more retirements and have lost an opportunity to get some game time into young legs.

Goes against what I have posted but what are the options with the rookie list ?
Can they be placed on the rookie list and have them available if needed ?

Mofra
19-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Boyd's kicking was as precise as I've ever seen. Big tick last night.
At halftime the Bulldog leaders were flashed up on the main screen and Boyd was leading with 92% disposal efficiency. Surprised but happy.

jeemak
19-08-2013, 10:17 AM
I'd like to see each of them retire.

Gia has been one of my favourites for a long time, and I'll always admire the work Cross has put into his game and our club.

Each are playing good football and are having an impact on games now, though the game will get quicker again next year as they will get slower. We're also a good chance to lose Murphy, Boyd and Morris at the end of 2014, so potentially losing five long serving senior players in one hit is too much for the team to cope with.

Our team didn't get worse after we convinced long serving champion players to retire around the 2007-2008 era, and I don't think it will at the end of this year if we gracefully retire Gia and Cross. The list needs to evolve.

Ozza
19-08-2013, 10:29 AM
The perfect scenario would be that they both retire from AFL footy, but stay on as VFL players, and do the full pre-season mentoring a younger player each (and be captain/vice captain of the VFL side).

That is obviously a selfish desire - and hard to ask of these two club greats who are still playing really good footy at AFL level. I'd hate for the club to have to push them, but the best long term scenario is probably that they step aside. Another pre-season, another year at the top level - you'd hate for one or both to fall off the cliff pretty quickly - and we would benefit from the retirements coming in stages, rather than all in one go.

stefoid
19-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Put them both on the veterans list, so they're not taking a kid's spot, and play them as the captain/vice captain of the VFL team. They're both still around the club, both still available if we need them but not hampering anybody's development. It's a fine and fitting way to reward two great and courageous careers.

The vets list keeps half their pay off the salary cap, but they still take up a spot on the list.

I think you meant the rookie list, but even so, thats still taking up a valuable spot that has been very good to us recently. Dal, Goodes, Campbell and JJ are all down to spots on the rookie list being available.

When you think that 6 or 7 years ago we werent even taking our full quota of rookies... :mad:

Maddog37
19-08-2013, 01:12 PM
Gia should go out on top. Cross should be given the opton of a rookie spot and traded if he wants a better option. Can Cross be paid what he is worth even on the rookie list as it is about list spots not cash IMHO.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 01:29 PM
The vets list keeps half their pay off the salary cap, but they still take up a spot on the list.

I think you meant the rookie list, but even so, thats still taking up a valuable spot that has been very good to us recently. Dal, Goodes, Campbell and JJ are all down to spots on the rookie list being available.

When you think that 6 or 7 years ago we werent even taking our full quota of rookies... :mad:

Dahl, Goodes, Campbell and JJ sure — what about Redpath, Jong, etc?

I think the answer probably lies in just an honest, open discussion between the club and the player — what we want, what you want, and how each can negotiate with the other.

Dogmatic
19-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Although i would love to see Gia play on, the reality is that we have Higgins and Dickson (both younger but perhaps inferior) who can play his role and not all of them can play in the forward line. plus we need to let at least one or two veterans go this year.

I'm not going to be popular for saying this but i agree one of Boyd/Cross need to go this year.....and i actually think Cross adds more value to the team with his work to drop into defence and take marks.....where as Boyds superior clearance work has now been overtaken by Libba.

1eyedog
19-08-2013, 01:56 PM
No to both .
Can't afford to have possibly 5 players retire at once .
Both great players, but we need experience into the likes of Stringer Macrae and Hrovat.

I'm with you. I'd prefer to play Stringer and alternate Hrovat, Macrae and Hunter through next year.

It may also depend on a who we bring to the club next season. What happens to Gia if we bring Crameri in?

Like to see them both go out on a high but agree, Cross would go elsewhere.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2013, 02:04 PM
If Cross is selected for retirement, and say GWS/Melb want him. Do we delist, trade or match offer for FA purposes?

azabob
19-08-2013, 02:14 PM
If Cross is selected for retirement, and say GWS/Melb want him. Do we delist, trade or match offer for FA purposes?

We do the right thing as a club and get Cross to his prefered destination.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Not saying that. If he's delisted he can go FA delistee like Lower. We can trade for say a 4th rounder (if we're lucky, GWS won't go beyond 3rd round if they want him) or we can see what compo the AFL will give us if we put an offer (knowing he won't take it). It's a given we do the best for him for his service, I'm talking about trying to maximise any compo (if any).

Greystache
19-08-2013, 02:27 PM

Yep, we upgrade our 6th round pick for their 6th round pick on the first day of trade week and wish him well.

azabob
19-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Not saying that. If he's delisted he can go FA delistee like Lower. We can trade for say a 4th rounder (if we're lucky, GWS won't go beyond 3rd round if they want him) or we can see what compo the AFL will give us if we put an offer (knowing he won't take it). It's a given we do the best for him for his service, I'm talking about trying to maximise any compo (if any).

Yep, we upgrade our 6th round pick for their 6th round pick on the first day of trade week and wish him well.

I still don't think we maximise anything. Not sure there is anything really to gain.

I agree with what stache puts forward.

bulldogtragic
19-08-2013, 03:07 PM
I still don't think we maximise anything. Not sure there is anything really to gain.

I agree with what stache puts forward.
Fair enough.

On an aside, I'm certain Gia's salary is on the vets list. But is Cross'?

Assuming they're both on $400k each, that frees up $400,000pa to go with our $450,000 left in the cap. That's a bit of buying power for a decent FA (or trade).

Nuggety Back Pocket
19-08-2013, 04:06 PM

Personally I would prefer not to see Cross finish up at GWS or Melbourne.
He deserves better than that.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Personally I would prefer not to see Cross finish up at GWS or Melbourne.
He deserves better than that.

Agree, but that's mostly the player's call at this stage of his career. If we don't see him as being part of the 2014 line-up (I'd like to state at this point that I certainly do) then we can't just put him on the list to stop him going elsewhere.

In a weird kind of way, I'd almost like to see another team get the chance to appreciate Cross, as in he's worth having another 50k people see what a bloody legend the man is.

Happy Days
19-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Cross is the one to go. As good as he's been, Smith/Macrae/Rat/potentially Prudden & draft pick #2 could play in his position next year and offer at least as much. Agree that we do the best thing by him and get him to where he wants to go, whether it be GWS or Footscray.

I'd rather give DFA the tap than Gia. What difference does it make who makes way for Stringer, as long as it's someone?

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 05:07 PM
Cross is the one to go. As good as he's been, Smith/Macrae/Rat/potentially Prudden & draft pick #2 could play in his position next year and offer at least as much. Agree that we do the best thing by him and get him to where he wants to go, whether it be GWS or Footscray.

I'd rather give DFA the tap than Gia. What difference does it make who makes way for Stringer, as long as it's someone?

And possibly Crameri, don't forget…

Happy Days
19-08-2013, 05:27 PM
And possibly Crameri, don't forget…

I'd rather we did to be perfectly honest, the price would be far too high for a player of such selective impact who might be rubbed out for two years anyway.

Remi Moses
19-08-2013, 05:35 PM
I would love to see both Gia and Cross go around again. On exposed form there is no reason why the shouldn't.

Having said all that I believe they both should not be at the club in 2014. We need to keep getting games into our younger players and keep the list turning over.

Agree, the club will have 5 or 6 players retire at once.
That is not good List Management

Bulldog4life
19-08-2013, 06:58 PM
I would like to see both players go on next year. Their form warrants it. They are both very fit guys and are not injury prone. If both stay on next year we will have 6 players 30 years and over. Currently Geelong has 8 players on their list 30 years and over and another 4 turn 30 next year. Hawks have 5 over 30's and another 4 turn 30 next year. If a player is good enough age really is irrelevant.I realize that both Hawthorn and Geelong are not rebuilding and are at the other end of the ladder than us but who knows next year.:)

josie
19-08-2013, 06:59 PM
Great thread and posts - I agree 1 and more likely 2 of Cross, Gia and Boyd will finish at end of this year.

I do not think it will be Boyd.

Also considering how to fit in Higgins and Williams, who are both injury prone, it makes it an imperative to reduce numbers of veterans who are also more injury prone (Boyd this year, Johnno in his last year as examples). Assuming, that is, we do not trade one or both of Higgins and Willams - which I think would make things interesting. That's another thread though.

It is actually a good & bad headache for Macca to have. Our depth is improving.

Dog54
19-08-2013, 09:24 PM
I think there could be some merit in delisting Gia and picking him up as a mature rookie player who we can hire as a player / development coach in the VFL side. It gives both the club and player an opportunity to head in the direction best for the team during the 2014 season.

boydogs
20-08-2013, 01:16 AM
Anyone remember Mitch Hahn's last year?

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Will these 2 or one of these 2 call it quits after next weeks game.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 10:07 PM
Will these 2 or one of these 2 call it quits after next weeks game.

Although both could go on, I think it's better if they retire. We can cover Cross and although Gia could still be handy, I don't want to see us in a position similar to 2-3 years ago when we suddenly lost 4-5 senior players in one swift hit. Having said that, I could 'live' with Gia getting another year given he's been sensational and our forwards are mostly young/still in need of direction.

We still have Murphy, Morris and Boyd that each have 1-3 years left max.

(I suspect Murph/Morris have 2 seasons left. Boyd 2-3 if his body holds up - but don't be surprised if it is 1-2)

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Poor game from Cross, but both he and Gia went hard for four quarters and not all of their team mates did.

Ozza
26-08-2013, 05:05 PM
It will be sad to see both retire...but I've come to the conclusion that it would be best if both retire.

I really hope we aren't forced to delist Crossy.

We are still in a development type phase. These guys have been great - but the time is right for their positions to be filled by the future.

westdog54
26-08-2013, 05:14 PM
It will be sad to see both retire...but I've come to the conclusion that it would be best if both retire.

I really hope we aren't forced to delist Crossy.

We are still in a development type phase. These guys have been great - but the time is right for their positions to be filled by the future.

I keep bringing myself back to how West's career ended. Correct decision made but tears on all sides. I do not want to see that repeated with either player.

I think the call needs to be made before the team runs out on Sunday night, as to whether it is their last game or not. They deserve to know beforehand so that they can celebrate the end of their careers.

FWIW I think the time is right for both of them to walk away with their heads held high.

G-Mo77
26-08-2013, 09:07 PM
Poor game from Cross, but both he and Gia went hard for four quarters and not all of their team mates did.

Cross was tagging Hanley and did a pretty good job IMO.

F'scary
26-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Anyone remember Mitch Hahn's last year?

Would you like to refresh us with a precis of Hahn's last season?

strebla
26-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Look I love em both I also loved Chis Grant and Scotty West whether Crossy is on another list or at Footscray next year I want to know this week. I hope we get a big crowd there even though we are playing Melbourne as Gia and Crossy have done enough and we should say thanks in style with at least 25,000 fans

boydogs
26-08-2013, 10:27 PM
Would you like to refresh us with a precis of Hahn's last season?

I think we delisted him at the end of 2010 then rookied him for 2011 whilst appointing him as an assistant at Willy. Maybe Gia or Cross could follow a similar path.

LostDoggy
27-08-2013, 10:15 AM
I think we delisted him at the end of 2010 then rookied him for 2011 whilst appointing him as an assistant at Willy. Maybe Gia or Cross could follow a similar path.

This did cause Mitch some concern at the time, as his wage went down dramatically. I could imagine Crossy perhaps being interested in doing this, but you'd think Gia would be better served financially by trying to land a full-time assistant coaching role if he is to retire this year.

w3design
27-08-2013, 05:59 PM
This is a real tough one. I agree with many posters, it is not good management for us to have a lot of
retirements at the end of 2014. Elder statesmen need to be staggered off the list.

Now I admit I am an unabashed Crossy fan, and have been for a very long time. But I don't think we can have both he and Boyd in the same 22 next season.
I would be absolutely gutted to see Cross in foreign colours, it just would not be right.

Gia's best is still certainly more than good good enough. His worst though is poor.

For mine I would like to see Gia made assistant coach of Footscray VFL, to start his coaching apprenticeship.
Cross I would love to see given a mature rooky position, and made Footscray captain, but still there as insurance should Boyd or another player get long term injuries, and let him see out his last season[s] as a one club Bulldog champion.

bornadog
27-08-2013, 06:06 PM
This is a real tough one. I agree with many posters, it is not good management for us to have a lot of
retirements at the end of 2014. Elder statesmen need to be staggered off the list.

Now I admit I am an unabashed Crossy fan, and have been for a very long time. But I don't think we can have both he and Boyd in the same 22 next season.
I would be absolutely gutted to see Cross in foreign colours, it just would not be right.

Gia's best is still certainly more than good good enough. His worst though is poor.

For mine I would like to see Gia made assistant coach of Footscray VFL, to start his coaching apprenticeship.
Cross I would love to see given a mature rooky position, and made Footscray captain, but still there as insurance should Boyd or another player get long term injuries, and let him see out his last season[s] as a one club Bulldog champion.

I could live with that.

KT31
27-08-2013, 06:36 PM
I could live with that.

Me three.

LostDoggy
27-08-2013, 06:41 PM
I could live with that.

The key question: Could Daniel?

G-Mo77
27-08-2013, 08:40 PM
The key question: Could Daniel?

Fair question as well. If he wants to play on and we don't want to retain him I wouldn't want to stand in his way.

w3design
28-08-2013, 02:48 PM
|Obviously I can't speak for Daniel, but I would think the honour of being made the inaugural captain of the reborn Footscray, along with the opportunity to stay on as part of the group with his mates, might hold more appeal than ending his career as a mercenary in another team's colours.

He effects me more as the type of guy who would value loyalty above self if the same kind of loyalty is shown to him by the club.

This role would also give those of us who are Crossy fans a few more years to marvel at the skills and courage of a true Bulldog Champion.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 10:08 AM
Crossy will be farewelled at the game this weekend. Contract isn't being renewed, and he's likely seeking a season elsewhere. Champion of the club.

Mofra
29-08-2013, 10:43 AM
Crossy will be farewelled at the game this weekend. Contract isn't being renewed, and he's likely seeking a season elsewhere. Champion of the club.
Absolutely. It would be weird seeing him at another club but I hope he gets the chance, if only for his sake. Champion bloke.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
29-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Does the absence of a similar farewell acknowledgement for Gia, mean he is likely to continue on with us next year?

KT31
29-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Does the absence of a similar farewell acknowledgement for Gia, mean he is likely to continue on with us next year?

Reported that there is no decision on Gia as yet and a decision will be made in a couple of weeks.

Doc26
29-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Now that Crossy's announcement has been made I'm second guessing myself thinking what have we done. Will this be our James McDonald moment. I'm now not ready not to see him give his all as he's always done. I do support the Club with this call but what a difficult decision given what he still brings in terms of culture, ethics, work rate etc. At this time I'm glad that it's not me who is in charge of our list.

Maddog37
29-08-2013, 12:55 PM
The form of Mitch Wallis would not have helped Crossy.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Now that Crossy's announcement has been made I'm second guessing myself thinking what have we done. Will this be our James McDonald moment. I'm now not ready not to see him give his all as he's always done. I do support the Club with this call but what a difficult decision given what he still brings in terms of culture, ethics, work rate etc. At this time I'm glad that it's not me who is in charge of our list.

Crossy deserves a better fate than to end up at GWS. He has been a wonderful ambassador for the WB and will be sadly missed.
A role as captain of the Footscray Bulldogs and mentor to our younger brigade would be a fitting reward with perhaps an assistant's role at the Club. We have lost too many quality people over the years not to try and retain Daniel's services.

jeemak
29-08-2013, 01:01 PM
Well done on a fantastic Bulldogs career Daniel. You have been a wonderful servant to our club.

Doc, I think him leaving will have a very limited impact on our culture. From the outside looking in I think we have the resources and personnel in Murphy, Boyd, Minson, Griffen, Morris and at this stage Giansiracusa to steer the younger brigade in a positive direction.

Melbourne's issues also ran a lot deeper than losing a senior player or two.

I wish him well in his pursuit to continue his career with another club.

jeemak
29-08-2013, 01:03 PM
Crossy deserves a better fate than to end up at GWS. He has been a wonderful ambassador for the WB and will be sadly missed.
A role as captain of the Footscray Bulldogs and mentor to our younger brigade would be a fitting reward with perhaps an assistant's role at the Club. We have lost too many quality people over the years not to try and retain Daniel's services.

Crossy deserves the fate he determines for himself. If taking an opportunity to play one more season at GWS is what he wants to do, then good on him

Bulldog4life
29-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Crossy deserves the fate he determines for himself. If taking an opportunity to play one more season at GWS is what he wants to do, then good on him

Wouldn't be surprised if Crossy could play AFL for at least another 2 years.

The Underdog
29-08-2013, 01:17 PM

You really think he's going to take a role at VFL level over a place on an AFL list for potentially 2 more years? I'd suspect Crossy gets an offer from Melbourne, a team with poor midfield depth who need someone who leads by example on & off the track. I'm sure if Rocket decides to take the role at Melbourne, he'd love Cross there.

The Underdog
29-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Well done on a fantastic Bulldogs career Daniel. You have been a wonderful servant to our club.

Doc, I think him leaving will have a very limited impact on our culture. From the outside looking in I think we have the resources and personnel in Murphy, Boyd, Minson, Griffen, Morris and at this stage Giansiracusa to steer the younger brigade in a positive direction.

Melbourne's issues also ran a lot deeper than losing a senior player or two.

I wish him well in his pursuit to continue his career with another club.

This, the Dees had a complete lack of leaders without McDonald, we still have a raft of them. Be amazed if Griff isn't captain next year. He seems like he's ready to take it on.

Nuggety Back Pocket
29-08-2013, 02:32 PM
You really think he's going to take a role at VFL level over a place on an AFL list for potentially 2 more years? I'd suspect Crossy gets an offer from Melbourne, a team with poor midfield depth who need someone who leads by example on & off the track. I'm sure if Rocket decides to take the role at Melbourne, he'd love Cross there.

I would prefer Melbourne over GWS if that was his preferred option. I am not really a fan of GWS and the way it has been favored at the expense of clubs like the WB.

Remi Moses
29-08-2013, 02:54 PM
What a star . It's sad, but it was inevitable .
Puts the club ahead of himself, just an outstanding person .

bornadog
29-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Macca's press conference today he was asked about Gia several times by journo's - finally got very firm with them " We will be announcing a decision soon"

The Bulldogs Bite
29-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Thanks Crossy, a braver player you'll never find.

Still has another year in him and would be a good pick-up for GWS IMO.

DragzLS1
29-08-2013, 06:28 PM
I have a feeling a deal has aleeady been done with GWS..
Love cross and gia! true profesionals. Cross is the model for consistancy and work rate and how to get the best out of yourself. Goodluck to him he will always be respected and rememberred as a die hard bulldog. I will have a tear in my eye as we walk him off the ground on Sunday...

azabob
29-08-2013, 11:20 PM
Macca's press conference today he was asked about Gia several times by journo's - finally got very firm with them " We will be announcing a decision soon"

That is first time I've seen Macca get a bit antsy at the media.

I get the impression there will be an announcement saying he is retiring but staying at the club in some capacity and they are sorting the finer details.

Remi Moses
29-08-2013, 11:29 PM

I get the impression there will be an announcement saying he is retiring but staying at the club in some capacity and they are sorting the finer details.

That's what I garnered from it as well.

Greystache
29-08-2013, 11:29 PM

Perhaps he's going to be announced as Footscray coach and they're waiting for the alignment to finish up first.

AndrewP6
29-08-2013, 11:33 PM
He's staying...

http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=12300