PDA

View Full Version : The Last two rounds - 2013

bornadog
19-08-2013, 10:55 AM
These last two rounds will determine whether we get pick 4 or pick 5 in the National Draft
or we could end up with pick 6 :eek:

The scenario is:

1. We beat Brisbane, Saints beat GC - then we will have pick 5

2. Dogs and GC both win - we get pick 4.

3. If Bulldogs beat Brisbane by 30 points and then Brisbane lose by 60 points to Geelong and GC lose to Saints, we end up with pick 6. We could still end up with pick 6 if the above margins are lower and we beat Melbourne by 100 points. However, if GC can beat Saints we get pick 5.

4. Obviously if we lose to Brisbane, we end up with pick 4 and the other games don't matter.
I wouldn't be too unhappy with this as long as its a close game.

Games and percentage will end up determining the final ladder positions. If we win the last two games and end up on 9 wins, my ladder predictor shows us equal 11th but lower on the ladder by % only.

Final Rounds:

Brisbane v Bulldogs
Saints v GC (Eithad)

GC v GWS
Bulldogs v Melbourne.
Geelong v Brisbane (at SS)

azabob
19-08-2013, 11:13 AM
Complicated much? It all won't matter once #BulldogWildCard is activated.

In all seriousness I still prefer to win the last two games and what draft pick we get, so be it.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 11:14 AM
In all seriousness I still prefer to win the last two games and what draft pick we get, so be it.

Agree. 4 or 5 im sure we will have a certain type of player targeted.

Eastdog
19-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Complicated much? It all won't matter once #BulldogWildCard is activated.

Agree azabob. Would like to win the last 2 matches. Our confidence is beaming right now and we should keep this great form going right to the end.

Bulldog Revolution
19-08-2013, 11:23 AM
I'm not convinced that the difference between pick 4 or 6 makes that much difference, particularly as neither pick is likely to land Tom Boyd, Jesse Hogan or Jack Martin.

Ozza
19-08-2013, 11:27 AM
Obviously hoping we continue the winning streak...and if Gold Coast can beat St.Kilda, then that's a bonus.

mighty_west
19-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Dont care what pick we end up with as long as we win both games, we don't want to fall in a Melbourne type culture of losing games to get the best pick we can get.

Our 2014 season and beyond look so much brighter knowing the style if game we are now playing rather than who we can get in the Draft, especially when there would be next to no difference between picks 4, 5 or 6.

WIN at all costs!!!

Eastdog
Obviously hoping we continue the winning streak...and if Gold Coast can beat St.Kilda, then that's a bonus.

Gold Coast are a good chance there to win despite it being at Etihad.

Greystache
I can't see St Kilda beating anyone, so I think it's all redundant. I want to see us go up to Brisbane and win, then flog Melbourne in round 23 to finish the season on a high.

Winning 9 games and 5 of our last 6 will be great for the belief of players and fans alike going into next year.

Eastdog
19-08-2013, 11:35 AM
I can't see St Kilda beating anyone, so I think it's all redundant. I want to see us go up to Brisbane and win, then flog Melbourne in round 23 to finish the season on a high.

Winning 9 games and 5 of our last 6 will be great for the belief of players and fans alike going into next year.

We surely should beat Melbourne very easily based on our current form and there current form. I think we slipped up against them at that time because they just got a new coach and may have had a bit of confidence.

mighty_west
19-08-2013, 11:37 AM

I personally hope we smash the Dees by 100 points PLUS.

Eastdog
19-08-2013, 11:41 AM
I personally hope we smash the Dees by 100 points PLUS.

There efforts have been insipid.

always right
19-08-2013, 12:55 PM
The Melbourne match needs to be a real statement game as far as I'm concerned. The contrast in the course each club has taken needs to be stark.

The Doctor
19-08-2013, 01:20 PM
I'm with Azabob and don't care what draft pick we end up with. I just want us to beat the snot out of the Lions and Dees

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 01:23 PM
The next two games are MUST wins. Absolutely essential. I couldn't care less about the draft pick, I care about the 10,000 more members we need. If we can hit at least 35,000 next year, or even better 40k, with a team into the pre-season full of confidence and loving their footy and loving playing for each other, next year could well etch itself into Bulldog history. I'm thinking 1997 (though hopefully sans-tragic-ending).

Eastdog
19-08-2013, 01:28 PM
The next two games are MUST wins. Absolutely essential. I couldn't care less about the draft pick, I care about the 10,000 more members we need. If we can hit at least 35,000 next year, or even better 40k, with a team into the pre-season full of confidence and loving their footy and loving playing for each other, next year could well etch itself into Bulldog history. I'm thinking 1997 (though hopefully sans-tragic-ending).

40,000 members would be great. Maybe further on if we can get to 50,000 members which is a challenge for club like us we could push for some home games at the MCG.

always right
19-08-2013, 01:30 PM
We could be the first club to get to 50k members and still have only 15,000 of them turn up to games.

Eastdog
19-08-2013, 01:34 PM
We could be the first club to get to 50k members and still have only 15,000 of them turn up to games.

If we are doing well I would think we would get more than 15,000 coming to the games if we did have 50,000 members. Collingwood has 80,000 members but id say 40-45,000 actually go most weeks. Hawthorn have over 50,000 but watching their match on Friday night it looked quite empty at their end.

Maddog37
19-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Brisbane at home will be tough.

turtle
19-08-2013, 02:31 PM
Dont care what pick we end up with as long as we win both games, we don't want to fall in a Melbourne type culture of losing games to get the best pick we can get.

Our 2014 season and beyond look so much brighter knowing the style if game we are now playing rather than who we can get in the Draft, especially when there would be next to no difference between picks 4, 5 or 6.

WIN at all costs!!!

Agree 100%
Winning the way we are:
- sells hope to members;
- makes it easier to get players to nominate coming to us in trade deal;
- improves the chance of a decent draw from the AFL (friday night matches) which helps with getting sponsors;
- will help keep players that might be looking to leave for success (cooney!);
- help the players push through grueling preseason because they truly believe in the message; and
- finally might help convince certain part-time coaches to stay on and put in a few more days a week!

Screw draft picks - just win games of footy. How good has it felt to win? That's what its all about

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 02:36 PM
No longer worried about the pick. Happy to see the boys fight it out as they have over the last month and bit. Operation TB is over and the calibre of player from 4-6 will be much of a muchness.

The Bulldogs Bite
19-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Let's win.

From all reports there isn't much difference between picks 4-6 anyway, and given our recent form, keeping the excitement around the club going into 2014 is most important.

I want to beat Melbourne by 100 points, that was one of the most bitterly disappointing performances from our club against them earlier in the year. We need to obliterate them beyond their comprehension.

LostDoggy
19-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Question: If we were bottom, with Pick 1 in our hands, would you still want to win the way we have been?

My call: Yes.

What's yours?

Eastdog
19-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Question: If we were bottom, with Pick 1 in our hands, would you still want to win the way we have been?

My call: Yes.

What's yours?

I would probably say yes. Pick 1 is no guarantee to be a star necessarily in fact through the history of the draft picks much lower have turned out really good.

GVGjr
19-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm with Azabob and don't care what draft pick we end up with. I just want us to beat the snot out of the Lions and Dees

I'll join that queue.

chef
19-08-2013, 08:08 PM
I'll join that queue.

Right behind you.

westdog54
19-08-2013, 08:18 PM

I'll join that queue.

Right behind you.

Me too.

Hotdog60
19-08-2013, 08:54 PM
Me too.

i0GW0Vnr9Yc

:D

Remi Moses
20-08-2013, 02:56 AM
I'd be peeved if it was a "one off" like that win in 04 against Norf!
But it helps us with potential recruits like Crameri, in that we don't look like an irrelevant crap team.
We're getting a bit of media love ( hello Gerard Healy)
Hopefully we win both games and still get pick 4, but I think Brissie away's going to be tough.

always right
20-08-2013, 09:08 AM
Assuming Gold Coast win one of their last two rounds and Brisbane lose both of theirs, has anyone calculated what we need to win by to go above both these teams on the ladder?

bornadog
20-08-2013, 09:18 AM
Assuming Gold Coast win one of their last two rounds and Brisbane lose both of theirs, has anyone calculated what we need to win by to go above both these teams on the ladder?

Read the OP, that may help you with the answer.

always right
20-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Read the OP, that may help you with the answer.

Thanks....sorry:o

mighty_west
20-08-2013, 11:00 AM
The one thing I really cannot understand as a passionate supporter is that some supporters either hope we lose or aren't too fussed if we lose games just to nudge up the draft order by 1 or 2 positions, especially considering that history shows that a pick here or there is irrelevant to the talent available.

An example, last year we had picks 5 & 6 and selected Stringer and MacRae, had we had picks 3 or 4 instead of 5 would that made any difference to who we selected talent wise? Plowman over Stringer? Toumpas or O'Rourke over MacRae?

To me, compromising your passion as a supporter completely goes against the grain, personally I cannot stand losing games whether it being against the disgraceful Dees this year or the Hawks & Swannies a few weeks back.

That compromise imo is as bad as Melbourne or their supporters hoping they lose to get number one or priority picks, simply pathethic!

WIN WIN WIN at all costs!

Maddog37
20-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Not sure w here to put this but got an email today for the kids to train on the ground before the Melbourne game. Limited to fifty so I hope they got in.

bornadog
20-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Not sure w here to put this but got an email today for the kids to train on the ground before the Melbourne game. Limited to fifty so I hope they got in.

Its members round, they should be able to get on.

Murphy'sLore
20-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Would be great to get a really big turnout to the last game of the season -- really show the faith. A 100% Bulldogs crowd!

My family will all be there, twilight game notwithstanding.

Maddog37
20-08-2013, 06:13 PM
I am really appreciative of the member functions the club is running lately. Great for my kids and I am not sure they realise how lucky they are.

azabob
20-08-2013, 06:13 PM
Would be great to get a really big turnout to the last game of the season -- really show the faith. A 100% Bulldogs crowd!

My family will all be there, twilight game notwithstanding.

Plus could be the last time we see Gia and Cross running around at AFL level in the tri colours.

Murphy'sLore
20-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Plus could be the last time we see Gia and Cross running around at AFL level in the tri colours.

Now you're going to make me cry.

bornadog
25-08-2013, 05:19 PM
If we win today we go above the Suns on the ladder.

Geelong will beat Brissie next week at SS and we should beat Melbourne. % will determine whether we finish 13th or 14th and whether we end up with pick 5 or 6.

We will end up with pick 4 if we lose today and a slight chance to get pick 5 depending again on % next week.

chef
25-08-2013, 05:38 PM
Go pick 6.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 05:39 PM
If we win today we go above the Suns on the ladder.

Geelong will beat Brissie next week at SS and we should beat Melbourne. % will determine whether we finish 13th or 14th and whether we end up with pick 5 or 6.

We will end up with pick 4 if we lose today and a slight chance to get pick 5 depending again on % next week.

If we finish above the bottom 4 we are a chance next year to get a Friday match hopefully.

Remi Moses
25-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Cooney out is a big loss.
Regardless of tonight's result, there's positive signs

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Pick 4 is ours.

bornadog
26-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Pick 4 is ours.

Not if GWS beat Gold Coast and we win.