PDA

View Full Version : Former Dogs president Tony Capes passes away

bornadog
22-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Link (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-22/vale-tony-capes)

Former Club President and club doctor Tony Capes has passed away after a short battle with of cancer.

Capes was President from 1982 to 1988, and played an integral part in introducing the league’s first illicit drug code.

Western Bulldogs president Peter Gordon was saddened by 78-year-old Capes’ passing and said the former President and doctor was an important figure in the Club’s history.

“He was a very good man and a very good doctor in and around Footscray,” Gordon told the Herald Sun.

“And he was a great President of the club. He took over at a difficult time early in the 1980s and he really masterminded the resurgence of the club that lead us to getting into the (preliminary) final in 1985 for the first time in a decade.”

“We are very grateful to him and our thoughts are with his family,” Gordon said.

bornadog
22-08-2013, 04:33 PM
Condolences to the family and all his friends.

Twodogs
22-08-2013, 06:15 PM
I met Tony many times. He was a GP in Footscray for many years at the same clinic my GP practiced in.

He used to rock around in the best suede suits. I remember my dad getting into a big argument with him in Sydney. My dad gets in arguments with lots of people though.

RIP Tony. You got Shane O' Sullivan in and then appointed Malthouse as coach despite huge pressure from the supporters to keep Ian Hampshire. That gave us 1985. That was a wild ride of a season. Thank you.

LostDoggy
22-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Lotti Smorgon passed away also, is that Davids mum ?

Remi Moses
22-08-2013, 08:13 PM
I met Tony many times. He was a GP in Footscray for many years at the same clinic my GP practiced in.

He used to rock around in the best suede suits. I remember my dad getting into a big argument with him in Sydney. My dad gets in arguments with lots of people though.

RIP Tony. You got Shane O' Sullivan in and then appointed Malthouse as coach despite huge pressure from the supporters to keep Ian Hampshire. That gave us 1985. That was a wild ride of a season. Thank you.

The decision to get Mick was a gutsy one considering the backlash from supporters .
Remember the petition to keep Bluey? Condolences to family and friends

Eastdog
22-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Condolences to his family and friends.

Twodogs
22-08-2013, 08:26 PM
The decision to get Mick was a gutsy one considering the backlash from supporters .
Remember the petition to keep Bluey? Condolences to family and friends

I was angry and I didn't care any more. How could they get rid of Bluey after the best win/loss ratio since 1976? After all the bullshit with Royce Hart now they want another Richmond bloke in. Bluey was a great coach. We were gonna march somewhere but it didn't turn out to happen..

The bulldog tragician
22-08-2013, 10:59 PM
They did appoint Bluey. He decided to step away a few weeks out from the season start ( family/ lack of time.. A plumber?) and they got Malthouse.

RIP Tony Capes.

Nuggety Back Pocket
22-08-2013, 11:47 PM
Lotti Smorgon passed away also, is that Davids mum ?

Loti was David Smorgon's aunt.

Twodogs
22-08-2013, 11:54 PM
They did appoint Bluey. He decided to step away a few weeks out from the season start ( family/ lack of time.. A plumber?) and they got Malthouse.

RIP Tony Capes.

Yeah,you're right. It was the season before we got all riled up over them trying to replace Bluey with Malthouse.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 12:03 AM
Loti was David Smorgon's aunt.
Thanks

KT31
23-08-2013, 11:07 AM
RIP Tony, lots of respect for your service and time at the Doggies.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
27-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Why did the team not wear black arm bands on the weekend in acknowledgement of his passing?

SlimPickens
27-08-2013, 11:42 AM
Why did the team not wear black arm bands on the weekend in acknowledgement of his passing?

Noticed that, maybe waiting for a home game to show their respects? Hopefully that's the case, as it would be a poor oversight if that's the case.

Eastdog
27-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Noticed that, maybe waiting for a home game to show their respects? Hopefully that's the case, as it would be a poor oversight if that's the case.

Agree SP it would be a poor oversight. Tony Capes was before my time but was an important part of our club as president in the 1980s.

bornadog
27-08-2013, 03:28 PM

They mentioned this on AFL 360 last night.

SlimPickens
27-08-2013, 06:42 PM
They mentioned this on AFL 360 last night.

Was there any clarification BAD?

bornadog
27-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Was there any clarification BAD?

Sorry when i said they, I meant the hosts. They thought it was an oversight.

Perhaps the club wanted to do something at a home game.