PDA

View Full Version : Rnd 22: Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs - Match Preview and discussion

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
22-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Game Details
Rnd 22 Brisbane Lions v Western Bulldogs, GABBA, Sunday August 25, 4:40pm

Selected Teams

Lions

B: Elliott Yeo, Joel Patfull, Mitch Golby
HB: Ryan Harwood, Matt Maguire, Jed Adcock
C: Sam Mayes, Tom Rockliff, Sam Docherty
HF: Pearce Hanley, Brent Staker, Dayne Zorko
F: Ashley Mcgrath, Daniel Merrett, Josh Green
Foll: Matthew Leuenberger, Jack Redden, Daniel Rich
Int from; Ryan Lester, Andrew Raines, Rohan Bewick, Jordan Lisle, Jesse O'Brien, Jack Crisp, Marco Paparone (3 to be omitted)

Bulldogs
B: Liam Picken, Mark Austin, Dale Morris
HB: Mitch Wallis, Jordan Roughead, Robert Murphy
C: Daniel Cross, Tom Liberatore, Adam Cooney
HF: Koby Stevens, Tom Campbell, Luke Dahlhaus
F: Jarrad Grant, Tory Dickson, Daniel Giansiracusa
Foll: Will Minson, Ryan Griffen, Matthew Boyd
Int from; Jason Tutt, Dylan Addison, Tom Young, Easton Wood, Lachie Hunter, Jack Macrae, Liam Jones (3 to be omitted)

Last 5 games between Bulldogs & Lions

Rnd 1, 2013 Etihad

Western Bulldogs 19.13 (127)
Def
Brisbane Lions7.17 (59)

Rnd 23, 2012, GABBA

Brisbane Lions 19.14 (128)
Def
Western Bulldogs9.7 (61)

Rnd 13, 2012, Etihad

Western Bulldogs 7.14 (56)
Lost to
Brisbane Lions18.6 (114)

Rnd 2 , 2011 Etihad

Western Bulldogs 19.9 (123)
Def
Brisbane Lions6.9 (45)

Rnd 12, 2010 Etihad

Western Bulldogs 17.19 (121)
Def
Brisbane Lions8.8 (56)

Club Form

Both sides are in transition, and fair to say at the start of the season the direction of that transition would've read quite differently to how both sides currently are placed.
Prior to their opening round clash this year, the Lions, and their fans no doubt, were buoyant about their prospects for the season ahead, especially in lieu of their convincing form to win the Pre-season competition. The Dogs on the other hand, and we supporters were viewing the season proper with some trepidation that not a lot had seemed to change from the disappointing 2012 season.

By the end of our first round clash, the Lions had been resoundingly beaten by the Dogs, and thus set in motion the first nail in Vossy's coffin. On the other side, there was some (pardon the pun) bullishness amongst fans and media alike about the prospects of a quick rejuvenation of the Dogs.

From there the Lions seemed to take several weeks to recover some semblance of form, as the pressure increasingly mounted on Voss. Whilst the optimism of the Dogs first up win dissipated amidst several increasingly poor performances, albeit not with the same resulting media pressure that built on Brisbane.

From around mid season however, both the Lions and the Dogs fortunes started to turn. The Lions recorded what seemed to be coach saving and unexpected wins against Geelong, Essendon and North. The Dogs after plumbing the depths with poor showings against Melbourne and a lucky win against GWS, then came out with increasingly encouraging, though ultimately, losing performances against league heavy weights Essendon and Hawthorn.

Both clubs have won 3 of their last 5 games, however, for the Dogs this has led to both a resurgence of belief internally and externally, whilst for the Lions it has culminated in the sacking of club legend, coach Michael Voss.

With a little help from my WOOF friends. Please!

With the birth of my first child Joshua in March this year, this has been the first season in over 25 years where I have not had the ability to watch football as much as I'd like to. I've really only had time to take in Dogs games on the telly this year, whereas in years gone by I'd watch enough other games of football to have a feel for how other teams individuals are performing. I'm not even able to go to the game this Sunday, despite living in Brisbane!

Apart from a couple of Lions players whom I've picked up from sports shows are having good years, I really don't have enough first hand evidence to support any real analysis of their team. Therefore rather than provide a fake and probably way off base analysis of key match-ups or key opposition players, I'd like to throw this open to the Woof crew to help me out via providing comments on the following questions.

1. Who are the top 5 players from both sides that will determine the result?
2. Does the fact we are not playing at Etihad provide a potential to disrupt our good form of late?
3. Would a win away from home give even more confidence that our resurgent form is real? And conversely would a loss dampen or lessen our recent form?
4. Pierce Hanley is one Lions player that I have managed to glean is having an amazing year, and is probably a lock to make All-Australian. Who amongst our lot would be send to him to try And curtail his influence?
5. Ryan Griffen has almost been untaggable this season, as his game has risen to another level. Do The Lions have to keep him quiet to have a chance at winning? And if so, who amongst their team is up to put the clamp on him?

Result

Without having seen a lot of the Lions individual players to go by, I'm only making a guess on the result by looking at season win/ loss form, and based on my perceptions on team morale, in light of recent events at both clubs.

The Dogs are up and about, and have been for several weeks. There is a renewed belief energy and focus, that is evident by our performances, and supported by KPI's in clearances, disposal efficiency, contested ball, and uncontested ball. We are ranked in the top echelons of the league for these indicators over the past few weeks. We really seem to have a desire to finish the year strongly and I think this, plus the continued off-field woes at the Lions should see us win this one.

Simon Black missing due to a 1 week suspension, in what would more than likely be his farewell game at the GABBA, really takes away a real tangible cause for a morale boosting performance from the Lions.

Therefore If we get off to a first quarter flier, I expect we will win quite resoundingly.

My prediction
Dogs by 33 points.

G-Mo77
22-08-2013, 09:07 PM

I think our 5 are pretty obvious Griffen, Libba, Cooney, Murphy and Will but as always we'll need some cameoa. Last week it was Dickson and Campbell who stepped up.

For them Rockliff is the man IMO, we've got to contain him. Hanley is named but is under an injury cloud. He'll probably play but there is a chance he could miss. McGrath is a player who I recall gives us a bit of grief. Zorko another who may get off the leash if we're not careful.

2. Does the fact we are not playing at Etihad provide a potential to disrupt our good form of late?

They're pros, shouldn't bother them. Is it hot there? That may play a factor.

3. Would a win away from home give even more confidence that our resurgent form is real? And conversely would a loss dampen or lessen our recent form?

I think our form is real regardless a loss shouldn't dampen that. I think it'll deflate a few fans though.

4. Pierce Hanley is one Lions player that I have managed to glean is having an amazing year, and is probably a lock to make All-Australian. Who amongst our lot would be send to him to try And curtail his influence?

They've played him forward the last few games I believe, most of the season he's come off the HBF. Not sure on who we'll match on him TBH.

5. Ryan Griffen has almost been untaggable this season, as his game has risen to another level. Do The Lions have to keep him quiet to have a chance at winning? And if so, who amongst their team is up to put the clamp on him?

Raines does a pretty good job at tagging. He'll have a tough night.

Go_Dogs
22-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Great work YHF, cheers.

Interesting seeing the past 5 games, haven't been many close ones! Think this one might buck the trend.

bornadog
22-08-2013, 11:14 PM
Thank you for the write, well done.

My gut feel is we will lose this one at the Gabba. We haven't always been world beaters there and my only visit to the ground (I think it was 2009 or 2010), we lost and this was when we were supposedly flying.

Brissie by 18 points - but that is just me being very conservative and hoping we can continue our good form.

Remi Moses
23-08-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm three from three there. We need the Eagle on this deck( always starred at the gabba)
I think they might just get us because its at home, but I reckon without Moloney and Black we should be dominating clearances. Excellent write up

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 07:13 AM
I'm not overly confident, but then I wasn't for Carlton or Adelaide either, so I'm gonna back em in.

Dogs by 17 points.

Greystache
23-08-2013, 08:56 AM
Good work YHF

On these questions, not that I've seen that much Brisbane

Ours are probably pretty obvious, but Brisbane's;

Rich- Killed us last year, if he gets a bit of the footy he kills teams with his kicking. He is aslo highly susceptible to being tagged out of games. He's not quick and looks tailor made for Wallis.

Zorko- Probably their only dangerous forward with Brown out. Morris a good match up.

Hanley- Provides the bulk of their defensive rebound. Addison might get the defensive forward role, or even Koby Stevens.

Leunberger- Athletic ruckman who's had his injury problems. At his best he moves well and can take a mark.

Rockliff- Their primary ball winner, need to keep him in check.

Possibly, but you'd like to think the McCartney is building the team we'd be a bit mentally tougher than that.

A win would keep the tidal wave of momentum going, a loss will reduce it somewhat but not massively.

As above.

Raines is their tagger and he is dirty. I'd like to see us smash him at every opportunity. We've shown a propensity of late to work for each other which is a real change of culture at our club and I hope our bigger bodied midifelders work for Griff.

I see us winning this one comfortably.

Dogs by 41

always right
23-08-2013, 09:38 AM
Nice write-up. Interesting that we are going into a game I now expect to win......haven't we come a long way? :)

On paper we have a far superior side to Brisbane who really only have home ground advantage as their trump. Black being out is a big loss for them and one less thing for us to worry about.

Our biggets threats are Luenberger and Rich. Whilst Will can handle Luenberger at the stoppages he is going to have to be wary of Luenberger's mobility around the ground. Wallis to nullify Rich but more importantly make sure that any possessions Rich does collect are in Brisbane's back half where the impact of his kicking can be minimised.

Hanley is Brisbane's most creative player and likes to take the game on but he's susceptible defensively and we need to make sure we play through his man to make him accountable. Of the rest, Rockliff is the only other danger but he is more of an accumulator. I can see Crossy going to him.

With Raines going to Griff I can see Cooney having a big impact on this game.

Dogs by 24.

whythelongface
23-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Great write up YHF. I felt we could win the last two games, however this one I am not too sure about only because of it being at the GABBA. However, based on form and looking at the teams there is no reason that we can't win.

Interestingly the dogs are outsiders at $2.45 to win.

Think it will be tight but still will tip us by 14 points.

KT31
23-08-2013, 11:31 AM
Great write up YHF.
Little bit worried about this week.
Funny how the scores from the last six or so games nearly mimic each other, it's been either us or the Lions to win by 60 to 70 point's.
No close one's there.
Expect this one to be a lot closer and because it is in Brisbane, the Lions just to get up.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 11:57 AM
They are missing their 2 best clearance players in Black and Moloney so you would expect we should dominate in this area. With our improved spread and disposal efficiency i expect us to have total control of the midfield and from there win the game

Mofra
23-08-2013, 01:03 PM
They are missing their 2 best clearance players in Black and Moloney so you would expect we should dominate in this area. With our improved spread and disposal efficiency i expect us to have total control of the midfield and from there win the game
We should kill their midfield. Zorko & McGrath we can match up on so I thinkw e can break even at leats in the backline.

On paper our forwardline is ok, but with Campbell & Dickson kicking 10 goals between them (albeit during a shoot-out style game) we do have the firepower to score.

I'm expecting Jones to come back into the side, I thought we really missed his lead up work in the second and third quarter last week. Only one of Hunter or Macrae to play, been a long year and they have more than exceeded expectations at this point.

bornadog
23-08-2013, 02:22 PM
We should kill their midfield. Zorko & McGrath we can match up on so I thinkw e can break even at leats in the backline.

On paper our forwardline is ok, but with Campbell & Dickson kicking 10 goals between them (albeit during a shoot-out style game) we do have the firepower to score.

I'm expecting Jones to come back into the side, I thought we really missed his lead up work in the second and third quarter last week. Only one of Hunter or Macrae to play, been a long year and they have more than exceeded expectations at this point.

Who goes out?

always right
23-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I reckon only one change......Jones in for Addison.

Mofra
23-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Who goes out?
I think Young may be on thin ice, subbed early and didn't have a great game.
Hard call will be made on Hunter (may benefit more by a full VFL game) or even a Stevens. If Jones comes in, we may consider an endurance type to come in as well which opens the door for Tutt.

It's great to have selection headaches.

JohnGentStand
23-08-2013, 05:59 PM
I think we may go in with the same side.
Cross to Rockliff (Cross 24 possessions - Rockliff 16 )
Wallis to Rich (Wallis 23 possessions - Rich 12 )
Dickson, Dahl & Grant 3 goals each
Dogs to win by 17 points.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Dylan out, Tutt In

Eastdog
23-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Another winnable game.

Dogs by 33 points
First Goal: Dickson
BOG: Libba

Topdog
23-08-2013, 06:14 PM
People seem very confident. Should I take the dogs in tipping and catch up another or go the safe tip in brisbane and stay in the pack???

Remi Moses
23-08-2013, 06:41 PM
Dylan out, Tutt In

Good move on the wide open ground.

Bulldog Joe
23-08-2013, 06:57 PM
People seem very confident. Should I take the dogs in tipping and catch up another or go the safe tip in brisbane and stay in the pack???

Brisbane is not the safe tip.

We will win.

Greystache
23-08-2013, 08:09 PM

Don't ask me, I must be the only tipster in the world who wad leading all comps and started tipping a few outsiders. FWIW I tipped us this week and have done 3 of the past 4 weeks.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 08:11 PM
I've had doubts about this game most of the week, thinking we are due for a down game but now i reckon we'll win fairly convincingly. What an end to the year we're having!

Topdog
23-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Brisbane is not the safe tip.

We will win.

>75% of people will tip Brisbane IMO therefore they are a safe tip. I've tipped us anyhow.

bornadog
24-08-2013, 12:41 AM
I've had doubts about this game most of the week, thinking we are due for a down game but now i reckon we'll win fairly convincingly. What an end to the year we're having!

Yes I am getting more confident as we get closer to the game.

F'scary
25-08-2013, 02:20 PM
YHF - I can empathise and I suspect there are many woofers who are in the same boat as you at moment with respect to young children and supporting our better half during the infancy / early childhood period. The time gradually comes back as the kids grow and become more independent.

Back to the game: does anyone have any theories on our sub? I feel that Hunter & Tutt deserve a full game but perhaps I am over emphasising the development angle when the team is now at a stage where it should focus on winning first because it is more of a reality of late.

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Would love the resurgence to continue bit I think we're due for a down day, plus being up at the Gabba.

Aslans by 14 points
BOG Coons
First goal Dicko

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Our form away from Etihad doesn't paint a pretty picture.
Big challenge to win away from home and if we can do that, it's yet another step on the right path.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Would love the resurgence to continue bit I think we're due for a down day, plus being up at the Gabba.

Aslans by 14 points
BOG Coons
First goal Dicko

It's implies that it's expected of us, and even acceptable, to slip back after a few wins. Whilst we might do so, I wouldn't pass it off as being “due”.

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 03:31 PM
It's implies that it's expected of us, and even acceptable, to slip back after a few wins. Whilst we might do so, I wouldn't pass it off as being “due”.

Not necessarily acceptable but inevitable.

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 03:32 PM

Agreed.

We rarely get acknowledged as being 'due for a win' so being 'due for a loss' is probably the standard fare for some. We are are playing a good side on their home ground but on the upside we have been playing our best football of the season.

Our form over recent weeks is showing strong performances so win or lose today I doubt it will be because we were 'due' for anything.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-08-2013, 03:39 PM
YHF - I can empathise and I suspect there are many woofers who are in the same boat as you at moment with respect to young children and supporting our better half during the infancy / early childhood period. The time gradually comes back as the kids grow and become more independent.

Back to the game: does anyone have any theories on our sub? I feel that Hunter & Tutt deserve a full game but perhaps I am over emphasising the development angle when the team is now at a stage where it should focus on winning first because it is more of a reality of late.

Thanks for the support. My friends who had children at a much younger age than me have also said similar things. Very labour intensive though right now. Very appreciative of any free moment I get right now. Will hopefully get to watch at least half of today's game which will be a bonus.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 03:47 PM
We are well placed for a win; if it is due to anything it will be due to hard work and perseverance over four quarters. No Brown. No Black. If we play our usual hard inside game and clear it well, I'll back our delivery into the new look forward line to give us opportunities to score. Down back, Roughy is going to have his work cut out for him on Merrett, and Aussie on Staker, but they are up to it, and I'd back Picko or Moz to at least break even on McGrath. The key is us being hard at the contest and running for each other - all else comes from that. If we 'crack in' and give a four quarter effort, it could be a famous victory.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 04:24 PM
From the AFL website -

LATE CHANGES
Brisbane Lions: Nil
Western Bulldogs: Adam Cooney (illness) replaced in selected side by Dylan Addison

FINAL INTERCHANGES
Brisbane Lions: Ryan Lester, Sam Docherty, Josh Green
Substitute: Marco Paparone
Western Bulldogs: Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Lachie Hunter
Substitute: Jason Tutt

bornadog
25-08-2013, 04:48 PM
From the AFL website -

LATE CHANGES
Brisbane Lions: Nil
Western Bulldogs: Adam Cooney (illness) replaced in selected side by Dylan Addison

FINAL INTERCHANGES
Brisbane Lions: Ryan Lester, Sam Docherty, Josh Green
Substitute: Marco Paparone
Western Bulldogs: Matthew Boyd, Daniel Giansiracusa, Lachie Hunter
Substitute: Jason Tutt

Not happy with this, prefer if Macrae came in. Would be nice to get more games into him

Scraggers
25-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Not happy with this, prefer if Macrae came in. Would be nice to get more games into him

Agreed, I think his run would have been more important than Addison's toughness.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Would far prefer Macrae to replace Cooney than Addison.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 05:47 PM
Slow start...

Scraggers
25-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Slow start...

Not for Brisbane

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 05:51 PM
Agreed.

We rarely get acknowledged as being 'due for a win' so being 'due for a loss' is probably the standard fare for some. We are are playing a good side on their home ground but on the upside we have been playing our best football of the season.

Our form over recent weeks is showing strong performances so win or lose today I doubt it will be because we were 'due' for anything.

Disagreed. I don't believe we are capable of the type of football we've seen recently, for long periods -ie- at this stage, more than a few weeks. Hence, we're going to slip up at different stages. The first five minutes of today's game is clearly showing this.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Only 3 behind now Brisbane going for goal via Merrett.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Only 1 disposal for Griff so far.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:03 PM
Sounds like the style of the game is very much like last week.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:04 PM
Campbell just misses one.

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Campbell just misses one.

That one hurt. The Lions side is a lot more athletic than ours. We are going to have to grind them down

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:07 PM
Qtr time has to be come now. Bad play from us there to let Rich of the leash and goal. Are very ungriffen like game.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:08 PM
That one hurt. The Lions side is a lot more athletic than ours. We are going to have to grind them down

For sure they have been ok at home this year so will have to really work hard.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:10 PM
Minson getting thumped at the moment.

We're being cut apart through the middle. Flat footed, defensive pressure non-existent.

Worrying signs.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:11 PM
There is a lot of flat dogs. Must have been a good night on the town last night.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:11 PM
Qtr time has to be come now. Bad play from us there to let Rich of the leash and goal. Are very ungriffen like game.

What's your take on the first quarter ED? Listening to the radio it sounds like we may as well have missed the bus to the game.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:13 PM
What's your take on the first quarter ED? Listening to the radio it sounds like we may as well have missed the bus to the game.

We have been really been down this quarter C54. We have missed quite a few like you said and have only one less scoring shot than the Lions. We have to stop Rich. Intensity just not there from us. Need to fire up 2nd quarter.

G-Mo77
Well, well. Looks like a few boys thought this would be a walk in the park. Brisbane have come to play and now we've got a dirty great hole to get out of.

comrade
We're kicking to Tom Campbell as if he's the second coming of Wayne Carey.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:14 PM
Shocking in every area of the ground, no defensive pressure whatsoever, tackle terrible, panicking with the ball, second to the contest. Just zero intensity.

Minson getting slaughtered and Wallis even worse.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Koby Stevens is a really clumsy footballer, I don't see the enthusiasm around him. He's going to kill someone with the way he gives the ball off under pressure.

Eastdog
Shocking in every area of the ground, no defensive pressure whatsoever, tackle terrible, panicking with the ball, second to the contest. Just zero intensity.

Minson getting slaughtered and Wallis even worse.

Who would you say was the best for us that qtr Stache.

Remi Moses
Don't get why Addison would come in for Cooney.
Should have been Macrae
Very lacklustre performance so far. We still have a long way to go

Remi Moses
25-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Koby Stevens is a really clumsy footballer, I don't see the enthusiasm around him. He's going to kill someone with the way he gives the ball off under pressure.

His lack of effort on the wing was awful

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 06:17 PM
A tad concerning. He kicks 4 and we play the bomb it long card...

always right
25-08-2013, 06:18 PM
Started with selection. Why would you bring Addison in for an ill Cooney and not McCrae. We look very slow at the moment. Minson losing his AA selection in front of my eyes. Wallis ball watching and no-one lowering their eyes going forward.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:18 PM
What has impressed me this year has been our ability to respond to a poor patch during a game. Big quarter coming up.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:19 PM
Started with selection. Why would you bring Addison in for an ill Cooney and not McCrae. We look very slow at the moment. Minson losing his AA selection in front of my eyes. Wallis ball watching and no-one lowering their eyes going forward.

You can't judge a season on one game. Minson is getting beaten but has been immense this year.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:20 PM
Don't get why Addison would come in for Cooney.
Should have been Macrae
Very lacklustre performance so far. We still have a long way to go

We can't get into a false sense of security. The last few weeks have been good but like you say still so much work ahead. Up there at the Gabba away from home is never an easy task.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Dumb free Minno...

Stupid frees killing us.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:21 PM
No run and spread at all. This is 6 weeks ago Bulldogs.

Libba is getting burnt off.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:22 PM
You can't judge a season on one game. Minson is getting beaten but has been immense this year.

Agree comrade. Mino has been great the year. Sometimes they have off days.

bornadog
12 Months ago they did this to us. We haven't progressed at all.

Greystache
Don't think we've won a contest yet in this match.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:23 PM

We haven't progressed at all? Seriously?

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:23 PM
Good goal Dahlhaus. We need to work harder and put some pressure on them.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:24 PM

Ridiculous comment, BAD.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Koby Stevens is a limited footballer. Just doesn't think quickly enough under pressure.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:25 PM

I disagree BAD. Call me optimistic but there is so much upside to this list.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:27 PM
Almost need to consider subbing Minson off, getting obliterated. We'd be better off with an extra runner.

G-Mo77
Wow.Staker just walked that out of the pack. This one is over.

comrade
Wow, Minno is getting pantsed. Too immobile for Leunberger.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:28 PM

Wowee.

bulldogtragic
Koby Stevens is a limited footballer. Just doesn't think quickly enough under pressure.
Yep. Massive knock on him is this.

He cracks in, but his decision making, disposal and hands are negatives.

GVGjr

We needed to play Jones.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:29 PM

Maybe Macca feels we aren't really playing for much just pride and not risk him late deep in the season particularly after his 200th.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:29 PM
We needed to play Jones.

Would have been handy, though with the delivery into the forward 50, he'd struggle too.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 06:31 PM
We look, very, very, very SLOW.

LostDoggy
Not looking good, need to tighten up a bit and shut them down .

Eastdog
Need to get a few now and reduce this deficit going into half time.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Now it's all about the ability to fight back.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:32 PM
Wallis is just going through the motions out there.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Very important 5 minutes I reckon for us despite 10 minutes to go till HT.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:34 PM
Any danger a Bulldog player will handle the ball cleanly today? Fumbles, dropped marks, just horrible.

The Underdog
25-08-2013, 06:35 PM
We looked cooked for two quarters last week and pulled a huge last quarter out of nowhere. We've been up for a while, not surprised we're having a down one.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 06:37 PM
Any idea how many tackle frees we've given away. Got to be 10 at least.

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:38 PM
Any idea how many tackle frees we've given away. Got to be 10 at least.

Addison has given away 3 on his own

Greystache
25-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Is this game getting in the way of an afternoon nap for Cross? He looks genuinely bored out there, can't believe a guy fighting for his career would be showing so little enthusiasm.

bornadog
25-08-2013, 06:41 PM
That was pathetic by Young.

We must have gone to Sportsbet and back the Lions so we can fund VFL side

bulldogtragic
Addison has given away 3 on his own
I don't see what Addison brings to the table, apart from being a top bloke, great clubman and crack in type. He's not quick, he's not a specialist at either end and his skills aren't elite. I don't want to eat my own, but he has a lot of these games.

*heres hoping he proves me wrong next half

Remi Moses
The whole effort has been shocking. Young under no pressure kicks it to McGrath.
Addison isn't up to it.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:42 PM
This is 7 weeks ago Bulldogs at its very worst.

ReLoad
25-08-2013, 06:42 PM
make the pain stop...........

bornadog
25-08-2013, 06:43 PM
Now officially embarrassing.

Griff not touching the ball is killing us.

bulldogtragic
Shattering.

I don't mind losing. I mind no effort, especially when I know they are capable of doing it. They're just not doing it.

comrade
At least pick 4 is stitched up :o

bornadog
This is 7 weeks ago Bulldogs at its very worst.

No this is last year stuff

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:44 PM
A few players being named on here as not good enough but the whole team is well down.

Sedat
Media street strikes again

LostDoggy
Sounds like the boys have mixed up their dates and gone on end of season trip two weeks early...

firstdogonthemoon
oh dear

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:45 PM
Getting nothing from our senior players.

firstdogonthemoon
Time to go mccartney!!

bulldogsthru&thru
Wow are we tanking? There is a world of difference between our worst and best at the moment. Guess that's what happens with young sides

Remi Moses
A little bit reactionary to say we haven't improved .
But we still need to make some changes

Sedat
25-08-2013, 06:46 PM
oh dear
The Backtoearthening

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 06:46 PM
Bad miss. Footy gods not smiling today.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Too many uncontested marks for Brisbane. Our work rate is way down.

Macca won't be happy.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 06:50 PM
We haven't bombed it long in the last 6 weeks. Why now? I hope it's not a set plan, cause its a shit idea.

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:51 PM
We haven't bombed it long in the last 6 weeks. Why now? I hope it's not a set plan, cause its a shit idea.

Lack of running options. During the last 6 weeks we always had someone running past the contest to take it closer to the forward 50 and hit a lead up target.

No movement = no lead up = long bombing.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 06:52 PM
Lack of running options. During the last 6 weeks we always had someone running past the contest to take it closer to the forward 50 and hit a lead up target.

No movement = no lead up = long bombing.

The Lions have got more of it and just used t better than us.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 06:52 PM

We are out tanking Gold Coast.

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 06:53 PM

When you dont work hard to get into space or help teammates the only option is to bomb. They're just not working hard enough. Real disappointing.

I'm going to miss 9 winners now.

mighty_west
Awesome sitting amongst Brissy supporters at the ground.

Remi Moses

That's the only positive

comrade
25-08-2013, 06:55 PM

I've only been to one game up there but the Brissy crowd were pretty harmless.

G-Mo77

And hear we are whining about what we see on the TV. Good luck.

Bulldog4life
A long way to come to watch this crap. Grease was great though ha ha.

firstdogonthemoon
25-08-2013, 06:56 PM
the backtoearthening

exactly! I'll use that

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 06:57 PM
That was as bad as it gets. I don't think I could name one player winning his position; there's just no work rate in any form of attacking or defensive sense. It's been a great six weeks, but this is a disappointing performance all the same.

Not sure I'll sit through the second half!

always right
25-08-2013, 06:58 PM

No argument from me but some commentators reckon it's between Minson and Luenberger for the AA spot. If that's true, then the decision has been made easier today.

A lot of players down today. Roughy has had a poor couple of weeks, Murphy is unsighted, Griffen not working hard enough, and Wallis having a day to forget.

The lack of chasing is appalling. Our work rate is non existent. The only blokes who appear to be working hard are Boyd, Dahl, Libba, Picken and Stevens who whilst making a lot of mistakes at least looks to be trying to make something happen.

Finally.....what's going on with the camera work? Very frustrating coverage.

ratsmac
25-08-2013, 07:00 PM
Words cannot describe what just happened. The very thing that I have been pleased with this year is that we have been competitive in all games bar one, this one.
I fear this is only going to get worse.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 07:02 PM
Words cannot describe what just happened. The very thing that I have been pleased with this year is that we have been competitive in all games bar one, this one.
I fear this is only going to get worse.

Wouldn't say every single match. Richmond and Adelaide (earlier in the year) we were comprehensively beaten.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 07:03 PM
Finally.....what's going on with the camera work? Very frustrating coverage.

Fox are pathetic. Have we even seen one boundary throw in? The ball goes out of play, Fox waits 5 seconds, then shows a replay. Next time we return to live play, the ball's in a completely different part of the ground. It's happened about 6 or 7 times -- ridiculously amateur.

always right
25-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Look out Macca.....they'll be coming for you again Monday.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:08 PM
This is on par with the 2 Richmond games this year. Cutting us to ribbons.

Can't see how we're going to turn it around.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:19 PM
Just dumb from Stevens. Clumsy high tackle and then a ridiculous leap.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:20 PM
10 minutes domination, 3 points.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:24 PM
Quick thinking from Dahl. Just need to keep chipping away.

We may not win but lets make sure we keep fighting.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:26 PM
Oh FFS.

Hope the boys are ok.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:29 PM
Terrible kick from Boyd.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Brad Johnson says Roughead is a forward.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:32 PM
Dahl our best so far.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 07:33 PM
This is excruciating. Come on Dogs!

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 07:35 PM
Look out Macca.....they'll be coming for you again Monday.

I doubt it. What we have shown over the past 5 weeks is proof enough. A side as inexperienced as ours is going to have a down one more frequently than the good sides.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:41 PM
4.5 (3 on full)

What could have been that qtr.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Should have had at least 2 more which would make it very interesting.

always right
25-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I doubt it. What we have shown over the past 5 weeks is proof enough. A side as inexperienced as ours is going to have a down one more frequently than the good sides.

I was joking.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-08-2013, 07:44 PM
Glad I am only getting to see the 2nd half. Sounds like the first stunk it up.

Remi Moses
25-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Should be two or three goals closer.
Turned up the heat that quarter, but didn't make the most of our chances

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 07:45 PM
Needed at least one more. Still a chance I guess but a lot has to go right.

Pickenitup
25-08-2013, 07:46 PM
We Are A Big Chance just got to keep up the workrate and we may pull it off

Bulldog4life
Have faith. It appears to me at the ground as though Brisbane are tiring.

LostDoggy
I was joking.

Had a big weekend, my sarcasm radar is broken. Move along, nothing to see here :)

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 07:48 PM
We need Grant and Campbell to stand up in the last quarter and kick a couple of goals each.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Under 4 goals????

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Happy to dub that one "The Minson Special"

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Under 4 goals????

We have to have a lot of luck but it's an outside chance.

comrade
25-08-2013, 07:53 PM
Nice fight back. Looked like it could get very ugly.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Under 4 goals????
Under 3??????

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Come on you dogs

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Another quick one please to insert some doubt in their minds. Go dogs

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 07:57 PM
Under 3??????
Under 2??????

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 07:58 PM
What the hell is going on?!?!

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Another quick one please to insert some doubt in their minds. Go dogs

Ask nicely and you shall receive. Finishing strongly. The Doggernaut is on

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 07:59 PM
Incredible fight, 9 points in it.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Time left?

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 08:01 PM
Time left?

12 mins

Greystache
25-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Stevens is a clusy clumsy footballer. 100% intensity, 20% efficiency.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:02 PM
Ask nicely and you shall receive. Finishing strongly. The Doggernaut is on

I like it

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:03 PM
Stevens is a clusy clumsy footballer. 100% intensity, 20% efficiency.
Stevens off, Tutt on.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:03 PM
C'mon Dogs. We have turned it on this 2nd half.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:05 PM
C'mon Tutty!

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Damn. Damn.

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 08:06 PM
Tutt in for Stevens. Timing out IMO, gives him only ten minutes.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:07 PM
That hurt. Still time. Don't drop off now.

comrade
Ouch. Just dropped off for a few minutes and they go bang.

bulldogtragic
Umpiring good!

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Big miss from Dahl

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:09 PM
Dahlhaus!!!! 9 points behind

Greystache
25-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Cross hasn't handled the ball cleanly once for the match, going on next year would be a mistake.

comrade
25-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Hideous umpiring.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Hideous umpiring.

Bad call that was.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Jesus I hate not being able to watch the game.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Berwick not seen all game......

comrade
Huge ask for Tutt to come into the game with 10 minutes.

Eastdog
Jesus I hate not being able to watch the game.

I'm guessing you don't have Foxtel C54.

comrade
25-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Bad call that was.

2 shockers.

bulldogtragic
Post #3

Eastdog
Unlucky Dickson

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:16 PM
Under 1 goal!!!!!!

Eastdog
Yes!!!!!

LostDoggy
I am actually having kittens.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:18 PM
Has Campbell clunked anything today?

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Interesting Minno. Interesting.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:19 PM
Game over.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:20 PM
Oh Tutty! Damn.

comrade
25-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Late kick outs were horrid.

chef
25-08-2013, 08:22 PM
Great fight back in the end. Toughed it out well done Doggies.

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 08:23 PM
12 months back that would have been a flogging. The side played badly but we were in with a chance to win it. Plenty to work on but I'm thankful that we finished the game strongly.

comrade
25-08-2013, 08:23 PM
Great fight but geez, we lacked from composure at the end. Bombing it down the guts 3 times killed us.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Great fight back in the end. Toughed it out well done Doggies.
Now lets never see that 1st half of footy ever again.

I think this was good though, the rose coloured glasses are off which should make some decisions easier.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:24 PM
Brilliant 2nd half but where were we in the 1st. Nonetheless we ran that game out really well. More kudos to our fitness at the Whitten Oval.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:25 PM
12 months back that would have been a flogging. The side played badly but we were in with a chance to win it. Plenty to work on but I'm thankful that we finished the game strongly.

Yep.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Would have been a 100 point demolition job this time last year. Tough loss to stomach but credit to the players and coaching staff for fighting it out to the end. Improvement is there to see.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:26 PM
Our kicking for goal in the last half was almost as bad as we played in general in the first half.

ReLoad
25-08-2013, 08:27 PM
Not unhappy with our fightback, we certainly can finish games well.

With a young side we have to expect the odd drop in concentration.

But jeez bad kicking is bad football.

chef

I think this was good though, the rose coloured glasses are off which should make some decisions easier.

Yep agree, just pleasing that we didn't drop our heads. Last year we would have been flogged by over 100.

G-Mo77
Wow. Almost pinched it. Needed a little more poise when we got close but rushed that'll come though. Good fight back when it would have been easier to just roll over.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Would have been a 100 point demolition job this time last year. Tough loss to stomach but credit to the players and coaching staff for fighting it out to the end. Improvement is there to see.

For sure

bornadog
25-08-2013, 08:31 PM

Merrit going down and releasing Roughead just goes to show we were lacking one tall today. Jones should have played today and Austin is not a KPP. We have a lot of work to do to fix up our spine.

We are also too slow. Dickson cannot play one on one and needs to take more of his opportunities instead of kicking those stupid around the corner kicks or along the ground. Stevens is too indecisive and puts other players under pressure.

Next year we will have Hrovat with some speed and Tutt must play a full game as we need his leg speed to. Losing Cooney before the game just about cost us in the end.

Anyway at least we didn't get thumped like it was looking like.

Hotdog60
25-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Last week would have slotted a lot of those points. How the game can change from week to week. Murph needed to be smarter with the kick ins during those last few minutes. He had to wait a bit longer for the troops to get there or pick a different option.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
25-08-2013, 08:33 PM
Would have been a further boost to the club to pull off a comeback like that. Still as others have said, last year we would have given up the ghost at half time. Well done to show some real fight and give the Lions an almighty fright.

firstdogonthemoon
25-08-2013, 08:34 PM
A game that proves we can fight it out. 8 weeks ago I would have been delighted by that performance. If you have to lose, a loss that will burn is a good one.

always right
25-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Merrit going down and releasing Roughead just goes to show we were lacking one tall today. Jones should have played today and Austin is not a KPP. We have a lot of work to do to fix up our spine.

We are also too slow. Dickson cannot play one on one and needs to take more of his opportunities instead of kicking those stupid around the corner kicks or along the ground. Stevens is too indecisive and puts other players under pressure.

Next year we will have Hrovat with some speed and Tutt must play a full game as we need his leg speed to. Losing Cooney before the game just about cost us in the end.

Anyway at least we didn't get thumped like it was looking like.

Still think we haven't progressed at all?

bornadog
25-08-2013, 08:39 PM
Still think we haven't progressed at all?

Not in the first half we didn't. We were lucky Merritt went down and Roughead was released to ruck and go forward as well. The MC made crucial mistakes in the selections this week.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Perhaps the MC had a plan in relation to the selected side, perhaps looking to 2014. Cooney loss significant

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:47 PM
Not in the first half we didn't. We were lucky Merritt went down and Roughead was released to ruck and go forward as well. The MC made crucial mistakes in the selections this week.

I'm sure now Macca won't make that sort of mistake again.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Tutt must play a full game as we need his leg speed to.

Leg speed is overrated when you don't use it. Tutt had an opportunity to really impact the game in the last quarter three or four times, but consistently made the wrong decision and didn't execute by foot.

It summed up why he's maligned and why he's been dropped/started as the sub. He has a long way to go, and with Hrovat, Macrae, Prudden and future draftees on the horizon I honestly think he's biding time. Earned another year in 2014, but I'll be surprised if he plays much beyond that.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Great fight back by the boys. Next year will be interesting to see another step forward. Proud of the boys!

bornadog
25-08-2013, 09:04 PM
Leg speed is overrated when you don't use it. Tutt had an opportunity to really impact the game in the last quarter three or four times, but consistently made the wrong decision and didn't execute by foot.

It summed up why he's maligned and why he's been dropped/started as the sub. He has a long way to go, and with Hrovat, Macrae, Prudden and future draftees on the horizon I honestly think he's biding time. Earned another year in 2014, but I'll be surprised if he plays much beyond that.

He needs experience on the ground, not sitting on the bench with ten minutes to go. He can learn from those mistakes. He tends to rush his kicking without thinking but sitting on the bench doesn't help him develop.

Dry Rot
25-08-2013, 09:06 PM
We were lucky Merritt went down

What happened to his ankle?

Heard bits and pieces of the game on radio - one ABC commentator said shit when he saw the replay.

The Bulldogs Bite
25-08-2013, 09:07 PM
He needs experience on the ground, not sitting on the bench with ten minutes to go. He can learn from those mistakes. He tends to rush his kicking without thinking but sitting on the bench doesn't help him develop.

He's been making those same mistakes from the moment we drafted him.

He has made some improvement this season, but does anybody really see him being able to develop to the point whereby he's a good player v Hawthorn, Sydney, Geelong, Fremantle etc.?

As I said, I think he will get some opportunity next season but if he doesn't grab it he'll be quickly overtaken and will face a similar year to Howard's 2013.

bornadog
What happened to his ankle?

Heard bits and pieces of the game on radio - one ABC commentator said shit when he saw the replay.

Rolled his ankle near the start of the third quarter. To me was a momentum change as he was on top of Roughead. This allowed Roughead to go forward as well as help out in the ruck.

Dry Rot
Great fight back by the boys.

What went so wrong in the first half?

How did we turn it all around? Who was responsible for that?

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 09:08 PM

No it doesn't help him but even in that decent stint he got he lacked so much composure. I really don't think he'll make it.

Dry Rot
25-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Rolled his ankle near the start of the third quarter. To me was a momentum change as he was on top of Roughead. This allowed Roughead to go forward as well as help out in the ruck.

Thanks. The ABC guy said something the foot being at ninety degrees. Sounded broken Morris style.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 09:09 PM

Lack of pressure by us. They had too much run. In th 2nd half that stopped for them and our run started to pick up.

boydogs
25-08-2013, 09:17 PM
Is there a reason why we didn't use the sub until there were only 10 minutes left?

comrade
25-08-2013, 09:21 PM
Is there a reason why we didn't use the sub until there were only 10 minutes left?

That was harsh on Tutt, I thought. Pretty hard to come in and adjust to the tempo in those circumstances. Should have been activated at 3QT.

Dry Rot
25-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Lack of pressure by us. They had too much run. In th 2nd half that stopped for them and our run started to pick up.

Thanks

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 09:31 PM
That was harsh on Tutt, I thought. Pretty hard to come in and adjust to the tempo in those circumstances. Should have been activated at 3QT.

We've done it a couple of times this season. I think the sub rule sucks because of this reason but 10 minutes to go and adding a fresh player is not a terrible strategy.

comrade
25-08-2013, 09:38 PM
We've done it a couple of times this season. I think the sub rule sucks because of this reason but 10 minutes to go and adding a fresh player is not a terrible strategy.

Horses for courses. IMO, Tutt isn't the type to come in for 10 minutes and adjust immediately. He's the type of player that needs to work into games. If it was Hunter, I can see the merit of such a strategy. He seems much more suited to acclimating straight away.

AndrewP6
25-08-2013, 09:43 PM

Disagree, should've been done much earlier IMO.

mighty_west
25-08-2013, 09:54 PM

Ankle? He grabbed his knee straight away when it happened 15 metres in front of us, also heard the crack of heads between Young and Bob, was Suprised Murph came back on, the noise was hidious.

Edit : just watched the replay, definitely the ankle.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 09:54 PM
Disagree, should've been done much earlier IMO.

They would've been thinking they were gonna use it during the third quarter but then most of the players that were looking like getting subbed out upped their intensity,

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Horses for courses. IMO, Tutt isn't the type to come in for 10 minutes and adjust immediately. He's the type of player that needs to work into games. If it was Hunter, I can see the merit of such a strategy. He seems much more suited to acclimating straight away.

FWIW I would have made the call at 3Q time. Had Tutt kicked that goal it probably would have been called a great strategy. IMO says more about the player.

Bulldog Joe
25-08-2013, 10:48 PM

Griff looked gone at 3/4 time and obviously needed to see if he could contribute before subbing Stevens out.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 10:49 PM

We embarrassed ourselves from an intensity point of view, and a decision making point of view. Brisbane were on, and we looked like we'd had a couple of Xanax per player.

Our midfield was comprehensively beaten, and this put pressure on the defense as the ball was clean coming in to the Brisbane forward line, and pressure on our forwards as our ball was coming in dirty.

I won't bother with smashing individual players, though a special mention must go to Koby Stevens for doing some of the most seriously ridiculous shit I've seen on a football field tonight. He really needs to lessen the gap between his best and worst.

We turned it around through finding ascendency in the middle and respecting the football more than we did in the first half.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 11:12 PM
Just got home from the game not long ago, even though we lost come away with an overwhelming feeling of pride for our boys , no longer to we roll over when things get tough, bring on round 1 2014.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 11:15 PM
A rough day at the office, both at the Gabba and some of the posts in this thread. I'm filthy at our first half, delighted at our second but overall it's just not good enough, we've come a long way this year — that's pretty much beyond debate, you'd think — but if we want to progress any further games like today just can't happen. Young side, gaps in experience, Cooney going down = reasons not to delist blokes off one game, but that's about as far as I'll take an excuse this week.

We'd better beat twenty-six shades of shit out of the Dees.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 11:20 PM
A rough day at the office, both at the Gabba and some of the posts in this thread. I'm filthy at our first half, delighted at our second but overall it's just not good enough, we've come a long way this year — that's pretty much beyond debate, you'd think — but if we want to progress any further games like today just can't happen. Young side, gaps in experience, Cooney going down = reasons not to delist blokes off one game, but that's about as far as I'll take an excuse this week.

We'd better beat twenty-six shades of shit out of the Dees.

I think will really romp it home next week back at Etihad for our last match of the season.

Twodogs
25-08-2013, 11:47 PM

We didn't hit every contest with 100 % intessity the way we did over the previous few weeks and everything Brisbane tried come off. I think there were 3 or 4 goals in a row in the second quarter tthey kicked from outside 50. Good football from them but we didnt pressure the ball carrier.

Dry Rot
26-08-2013, 12:13 AM
We embarrassed ourselves from an intensity point of view, and a decision making point of view. Brisbane were on, and we looked like we'd had a couple of Xanax per player.

Our midfield was comprehensively beaten, and this put pressure on the defense as the ball was clean coming in to the Brisbane forward line, and pressure on our forwards as our ball was coming in dirty.

I won't bother with smashing individual players, though a special mention must go to Koby Stevens for doing some of the most seriously ridiculous shit I've seen on a football field tonight. He really needs to lessen the gap between his best and worst.

We turned it around through finding ascendency in the middle and respecting the football more than we did in the first half.

We didn't hit every contest with 100 % intessity the way we did over the previous few weeks and everything Brisbane tried come off. I think there were 3 or 4 goals in a row in the second quarter tthey kicked from outside 50. Good football from them but we didnt pressure the ball carrier.

Thanks. Sounds like we weren't switched on and reverted to bad habits.

jeemak
26-08-2013, 12:33 AM
Thanks. Sounds like we weren't switched on and reverted to bad habits.

I think today's first half showed how badly the scoreboard can treat you if you're 10-15% off and the opposition is on.

More and more I find AFL becoming a game of 10% gaps. Two evenly matched teams go full on and it's pretty even. If one of them is 5-10% off, and the other is playing to capacity or one is 5% off and the other is playing 5% above themselves the gap on the scoreboard can be huge.

Eastdog
26-08-2013, 12:35 AM
How many possies did Griff end up having because at one stage he didn't have too many.

jeemak
26-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Eastdog my man, I like this page to get my stats though others will tell you it isn't official AFL and can't be trusted.

http://www.footywire.com/

I'll let you make up your mind.

He ended up with 23 (9 and 14). I think around 3/4 time he had 17 to his name.

Nuggety Back Pocket
26-08-2013, 12:48 AM
Eastdog my man, I like this page to get my stats though others will tell you it isn't official AFL and can't be trusted.

http://www.footywire.com/

I'll let you make up your mind.

He ended up with 23 (9 and 14). I think around 3/4 time he had 17 to his name.

Griffen had a quiet first half but played very well in our second half revival. Raines his opponent had 16 but was effective in kicking two goals.

jeemak
26-08-2013, 12:53 AM
The thing I like about watching Griff these days is he continually, irrespective of how he's going, looks for ways to influence the game.

NBP, he really did and his effort helped us a lot.