PDA

View Full Version : Goal Review System

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Now the system has been running for a while now, what are your current views?

I personally think that it just slows the game down to much and detracts from the game. I would prefer a potential wrong decision from the goal umpire over this current review system. "Human error" falls both ways and is part of the game.

LostDoggy
23-08-2013, 09:41 PM
If only the goal umpire had a go pro on his hat in the 97 PF.

KT31
23-08-2013, 10:48 PM
If only the goal umpire had a go pro on his hat in the 97 PF.

If only Wallet had someone tag Jarman.

bornadog
24-08-2013, 12:49 AM
Now the system has been running for a while now, what are your current views?

I personally think that it just slows the game down to much and detracts from the game. I would prefer a potential wrong decision from the goal umpire over this current review system. "Human error" falls both ways and is part of the game.

I agree, hate the way the game is paused.

LostDoggy
24-08-2013, 01:12 AM
I think the captain of each team has 2 challenges up his sleeve per game, and it's up to him when it's used.

They also need to get a bloody camera over the goal posts. It's achievable, despite their claims to the contrary.

Hotdog60
24-08-2013, 07:42 AM
Couldn't they just put a contact strip up the inside of the post just above the padding that will illuminate a light on top of the post if it comes in contact with the ball. Then if the light comes on the umpires can have a quick review to see if the ball did hit the post if it doesn't then it's a goal.
Apart from that the goal umpire has the call like he has had in the past.

G-Mo77
24-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Leave it in the umpires hands. Most of the time they call for a review and just go back to his original decision it just makes the umpire indecisive. We don't review the maggots in the middle, it's taboo to discuss them in public with the errors they make.

KT31
24-08-2013, 09:44 AM
Leave it in the umpires hands. Most of the time they call for a review and just go back to his original decision it just makes the umpire indecisive. We don't review the maggots in the middle, it's taboo to discuss them in public with the errors they make.

Bit harsh G-Mo77, we do have a couple of contributors that are from the dark side.

G-Mo77
24-08-2013, 10:03 AM
Bit harsh G-Mo77, we do have a couple of contributors that are from the dark side.

I tamed it down. :D

azabob
24-08-2013, 10:50 AM
I think the captain of each team has 2 challenges up his sleeve per game, and it's up to him when it's used.

Not sure that is practical. The captain won't always be there to make the call.

AndrewP6
24-08-2013, 11:09 PM
It's a complete waste of time. Umpires call for it too often, which further erodes any confidence one might have in their ability to do their job. Just make the call - that, or get rid of the goal umpires altogether.

soupman
25-08-2013, 10:51 AM
I'm ok with it in principle, its the execution that is lacking.

It's basically a good idea in theory, but the AFL has to actually invest in the necessary cameras and sensors to be able to return definitive review decisions instead of "inconclusive, umpires call".