PDA

View Full Version : Brendan McCartney's old-school approach

Hotdog60
25-08-2013, 11:16 AM
http://resources2.news.com.au/images/2013/08/24/1226703/422626-brendan-mccartney.jpg

WHEN Brendan McCartney walked in the door he meant business.

There would be no spin, no lies, no deviation and certainly no shortcuts or trickery at the Whitten Oval.

Brendan the Rebuilder (Bob the Builder's distant cousin) promised just one thing - a non-negotiable competitive effort.

The doubters came thick and fast in the winless second half of last season, which came with an average losing margin of more than 10 goals.

"Does he know what he's doing?"

"Is McCartney a great second banana and not a senior coach?"

"Why aren't the Bulldogs under the same scrutiny as the Demons?"

These were just some of the questions raised by the media who, like Dogs supporters, wanted immediate returns.

McCartney would offer consistent and repetitious statements regarding development, teaching, patience and - most of all - the vision of where the club was heading, even if it meant short-term losses for long-term prosperity.

As boring as McCartney's messages were, they were unwavering.

McCartney is like all great coaches: he's different, quirky yet forthright and always believable.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/08/24/1226703/422587-ryan-griffen.jpg

Often he asks questions while nodding - almost as if he knows the response - inferring agreement is a given. And I'd assume it would take a brave player to differ.

It's an old-school approach to a modern game based on decision-making and assessing that when the ball is in dispute, his team is about to win or lose possession.

It sounds simple, but these changes take varying times of adjustment for different players, regardless of talent.

Those who don't conform by choice or by action are known as the delisted at Whitten Oval. It's "team-first" football.

A rebuild requires difficult decisions and trading Brian Lake, while unpopular, paved the way for Koby Stevens and Nathan Hrovat. The Dogs have built from the midfield first with the bulk of their 2012 and 2013 drafts.

Their direction has been firmly fixed, yet not blinded. Stuck in the VFL, Jarrad Grant learned that a "nice" 7-10 possessions and flashing the "I'm a first-round pick" badge wasn't enough at the new-look Dogs.

It has been a win-win for club and player. Grant now is a viable long-term option with an impressive month of football. They never closed the door.

The season of Tom Liberatore cannot be undersold. He is the AFL's No.1 clearance player, No.3 contested ball winner and must be All Australian.

http://resources3.news.com.au/images/2013/08/24/1226703/422291-jarrad-grant.jpg

Mitch Wallis has found new focus as a tagger whose recent scalps include Sydney's Josh Kennedy, Carlton captain Marc Murphy and Adelaide's energiser bunny Patrick Dangerfield.

The young talls are a work in progress, but Jordan Roughead gives the impression you can form a back six around him.

But just imagine if he and Shaun Higgins can string 50 games together. If Ayce Cordy or Tom Campbell can establish themselves as viable full-forward options, combining the second ruck role, then the spine of the team comes together quickly.

Ryan Griffen's season could culminate in a Brownlow Medal. He is one of only five players averaging 30-plus touches a game and it comes with an ideal balance of 13 contested and 17 uncontested. He also leads the competition for inside 50 entries.

But what I most admire about Griffen is his resilience as a leader, carrying the load when the scoreboard looks poor or when he's surrounded by players with "L Plates" firmly attached.

McCartney has taught from the contest first - the inner circle of the stoppages or the fall of the ball from marking contests, where possession is won. The mechanics of what's required structurally in terms of starting positions in and around that zone has taken time, but we're now seeing the benefits of broadening the teaching and the learning that's followed.

It has now spread from that inner contest to the wider ball movement and uncontested battle on the outside.

http://resources1.news.com.au/images/2013/08/24/1226703/438653-king-dogs.jpg
MORE (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/brendan-mccartneys-old-school-approach-as-western-bulldogs-destined-for-success/story-fni5ezm8-1226703420211)

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Good article, David King certainly has been a big fan of McCartney's for some time.

His 2015 team looks pretty good as well.

Mitcha
25-08-2013, 12:52 PM
Deliberately read the article before knowing who wrote it, brilliant article by the best analyst in the business.

SonofScray
25-08-2013, 01:02 PM
Good analysis. That team is close to the mark based on solid performers from this season and likely delistings etc, the only one that jumped out was Wallis at HBF which I can't see him being very valuable in that role.

The biggest turnaround has been in our forward line options and the capacity of players in there to sniff a goal. Last year we had a very small bag of tricks, this season we struggled with supply and not just getting it inside 50, but in a fashion which gave the lads a chance to hit the scoreboard. That 2015 side has 3 natural goalkickers, a potential resting ruck who has kicked goals, a workhorse CHF and a dynamo HFF. It could be anything.

Bulldog4life
25-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Great article. David King was even talking us up last year! Surely Macca has won the doubters over now.

F'scary
25-08-2013, 02:00 PM
A little bit more prudent recruiting and there will also be plenty of depth and coverage for the side named above and easier succession planning.

Not named in the above team for 2015: Cooney, Dickson, Young & Addison. Depth in spades!

jeemak
25-08-2013, 02:23 PM
A little bit more prudent recruiting and there will also be plenty of depth and coverage for the side named above and easier succession planning.

Not named in the above team for 2015: Cooney, Dickson, Young & Addison. Depth in spades!

You'd think if Cooney is fit he'll be playing, and if Dickson isn't getting a game we'd be going well for forward options.

Whoever did the graphic botched it anyway. Campbell and Cordy are both on the bench and on the ground at FF. Surely he can't be recommending playing all of Minson, Campbell and Cordy?

I have my doubts that Picken will still be the best option we have for BP in 2015.

bornadog
25-08-2013, 02:24 PM
You'd think if Cooney is fit he'll be playing, and if Dickson isn't getting a game we'd be going well for forward options.

Whoever did the graphic botched it anyway. Campbell and Cordy are both on the bench and on the ground at FF. Surely he can't be recommending playing all of Minson, Campbell and Cordy?

I have my doubts that Picken will still be the best option we have for BP in 2015.

I think you will find its Campbell slash Cordy.

Agree on Picken, perhaps it will be Pearce.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I think you will find its Campbell slash Cordy.

Agree on Picken, perhaps it will be Pearce.
I think Jeemak means Minson, Cordy and Campbell are all in the 22.

Never happen.

Zaine Cordy will be BP.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Correct BT.

The way it's written infers all three will be playing.

Is Zaine making inroads to a potential AFL career?

whythelongface
25-08-2013, 02:42 PM

Interestingly Murphy isn't there as well. I assume Kingy thinks next year will be his finale or that the younger brigade would have over taken him by then. Personally I think Murph would still be in our top 22 in 2015 even if he is 32/33.

The line up doesn't (obviously) include any potential trades either so, as you say, it looks like depth a plenty

anfo27
25-08-2013, 02:42 PM
I like David Kings work. No secret i'm a massive macca fan so enjoyed the read & am enjoying maccas building of this list. Exciting times ahead.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Interestingly Murphy isn't there as well. I assume Kingy thinks next year will be his finale or that the younger brigade would have over taken him by then. Personally I think Murph would still be in our top 22 in 2015 even if he is 32/33.

The line up doesn't (obviously) include any potential trades either so, as you say, it looks like depth a plenty

Murphy would be best 22 easily in 2015 if he played on.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Correct BT.

They say he isn't as good as Ayce was but a good defender who could be anything from second round to not drafted depending on his season next year.
I believe he trained with Vic Country despite not having a big tac cup

jeemak
25-08-2013, 02:57 PM
They say he isn't as good as Ayce was but a good defender who could be anything from second round to not drafted depending on his season next year.
I believe he trained with Vic Country despite not having a big tac cup

Cheers.

If we see something in him we may not have to worry about bidding a 2nd or 3rd rounder for him. Good outcome.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 03:01 PM
They left out the over 28s deliberately.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Correct BT.

Is playing bottom age this year, at 191cm and 76kg. Made the initial squad for Vic Country and is a regular for the all conquering and almighty Geelong Falcons (inc. few in the bests) as a junior, and he's had a few injury interruptions this year too.

I am hoping he continues to develop with another year at TAC level and hopefully Vic Country. No guarantees, but as an underage kid he's got size and is a regular back 6 in a the strongest TAC side and was in the best 40 Vic Country Kids. = Glass Half Full.

See next year!

The bulldog tragician
25-08-2013, 03:45 PM
Murphy would be best 22 easily in 2015 if he played on.
The article says anyone over 28 is deliberately excluded.

Given that our 2014/15 draftees will be in the mix too, the future suddenly looks bright.

Isn't it strange that a few weeks ago, kicking more than 6 or 7 goals a game was really hard going. Now we are managing scores over 100 points, still without a key forward of note..it's not like one forward line star has suddenly emerged. Amazing the difference swifter ball movement, better disposal, and Campbell's ability to be a target, has made.

jeemak
25-08-2013, 04:56 PM
They left out the over 28s deliberately.

Given that our 2014/15 draftees will be in the mix too, the future suddenly looks bright.

Isn't it strange that a few weeks ago, kicking more than 6 or 7 goals a game was really hard going. Now we are managing scores over 100 points, still without a key forward of note..it's not like one forward line star has suddenly emerged. Amazing the difference swifter ball movement, better disposal, and Campbell's ability to be a target, has made.

Yeah, I probably should have followed the link that said "more" for more!

The simplicity of the "need a big key forward" argument to sure up scoring ability has long been a bugbear of mine. So much of the battler is won with effective ball use, and an ability to win the ball in defence and move it quickly into attack.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 11:36 PM

The simplicity of the "need a big key forward" argument to sure up scoring ability has long been a bugbear of mine. So much of the battler is won with effective ball use, and an ability to win the ball in defence and move it quickly into attack.

It's an easier way out. Focus on a big saviour, rather than hard work across the board.

KT31
26-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Really enjoyed that article, well done to Kingy.
Nice to actually read a positive article and one which does not involve the Bombers.

westdog54
26-08-2013, 06:38 PM

When you think that Murph and Cooney would oh so easily slide into that team it makes for great viewing.

Plus we're yet to see what Roberts and Prudden have to offer. There are certainly high hopes for both.

In terms of a best 22, with both Murph and Cooney playing, I would:

Omit one of Cordy and Campbell
Cooney to Stevens' spot, Stevens to the bench
Ditto Picken for Murph

And all of a sudden, with another 20 odd games into that entire lineup (Bar Smith of Course who will miss a fair chunk of next year), that suddently looks like a very competitive and dangerous unit.

azabob
26-08-2013, 06:53 PM
And all of a sudden, with another 20 odd games into that entire lineup (Bar Smith of Course who will miss a fair chunk of next year), that suddently looks like a very competitive and dangerous unit.

I reckon Smith may just surprise and get back earlier than normal.

WBFC4FFC
26-08-2013, 07:36 PM
A nice old back-hander to Garlick to finish the article with, in reference to our "Brian Cook" yet to emerge!

Ghost Dog
26-08-2013, 10:51 PM
And I love a good information graphic.

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 11:36 PM
A nice old back-hander to Garlick to finish the article with, in reference to our "Brian Cook" yet to emerge!

Yes, I noticed that. Kingy might be a gun on-field analyst, but he needs to get up to speed on the back office if he's going to make comments like that. Garlo is doing very nicely. Teams don't just magically find themselves with all the elements in place. It takes someone with a few clues to make it happen, to manage the process. At the Western Bulldogs that person is Simon Garlick. Make no mistake, he is every bit as important to the club's success as Macca or Griff.

Dry Rot
27-08-2013, 12:12 AM
They say he isn't as good as Ayce

That's a real worry.

Dry Rot
27-08-2013, 12:17 AM

If somehow Williams can stay on the park in the backline, and we could could get two good tall forwards and a zippy midfilelder then we could cause some damage next year.

Remi Moses
27-08-2013, 12:55 AM

Bugbear of mine as well. It's just lazy, simple journalism, as you need multiple flexible sizes and options.
Sydney for example are going to Tippett all the time and although He 's going well its not good for the actual team.
Ball movement and efficiency is paramount

LostDoggy
27-08-2013, 10:12 AM
Bugbear of mine as well. It's just lazy, simple journalism, as you need multiple flexible sizes and options.
Sydney for example are going to Tippett all the time and although He 's going well its not good for the actual team.
Ball movement and efficiency is paramount

We did the same with BBBBH.