PDA

View Full Version : Bankers and Anchors - Round 22

GVGjr
25-08-2013, 07:50 PM
This is the round 22 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread.

Please post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 players that we banked on to do the right thing during the game

The Anchors = 3 players that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.

bornadog
25-08-2013, 08:45 PM
Bankers

1. Minson - beaten early on but fought back to get the dogs moving - AA ruckman

2. Dahl - What a terrier.

3. Boyd - Never stops trying for the Red white and Blue - all guts.

Anchors

1. Stevens - I have my doubts on this bloke

2. Addison - ok, kicked two goals, but seriously I fail to see what more than half our supporters see in him.

3. All the players in the first half - they were flat as a tack.

bulldogtragic
25-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Bankers: Libba (freak), Dahl (x factor) and Boyd (working class man)

Anchors: Application in the first half, goal kicking in the second half and the Addison replacement decision.

Eastdog
25-08-2013, 08:50 PM
I would say Murph probably would be a banker.

G-Mo77
25-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Bankers

I've never done this. Umpires. We got some serious rub of the green tonight. One of the best decisions I have seen all year was pinging Maguire for cheating when he dragged Campbell on top of him.

Dahlhaus has really found his way. A lot were calling for his head, I'm pretty sure I did at some stage. Well done to him!

Libba. Nothing needed to add.

Anchors

First half. I think we got caught up in a bit of hype. Not a bad thing to get a whack, they'll learn.

That little prick that gave Murphy a pat on the head when his opponent took a mark.

Not much else.

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Bankers-

Picken - Love his bone crunching tackles

Dahlhaus - Along with Picken probably the only 4 quarter players

Leaders - All had flat patches but their leadership was crucial in the second half comeback.

Anchors

Libba - Those first quarter poor defensive efforts were highlighted by the tv vision - well below his usual standard, you start off lazy, you can't expect to win. Was a workmanlike performance overall but you can't be lazy at the start of the game.

Wallis - Let Rich off the leash early when it counted. Tightened up later but all too late, another hurt by not being switched on at the start of the game.

Kicking for goal - Could've won the game if our kicking for goal was better

LostDoggy
25-08-2013, 11:32 PM
Bankers:

The last half fight back. Grit, character and pride.

Little Lukey. Loved the effort.

A lot of cracks papered over during last weeks game were burst open tonight, a good thing, really, for a learning side. That's where the good ended.

Anchors:

Ain't it obvious?

Remi Moses
26-08-2013, 02:22 AM
Bankers - fight back, showed grit.
Workrate, after half time

Anchors - the work rate was appalling in the first half .
We looked disinterested.
That was the game of two halfs

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 03:11 AM
Bankers

Minson - dragged us back AA ruckman easily.

Dahl (the b.o.gee)

Murphy - his attack after coming back on

Anchors

Gia - harsh but crucial miss.

Umpires - just thought they were c graders

Boyd- impeccable timing with turn overs.

always right
26-08-2013, 08:59 AM
B:
Dahlhaus and Picken who appeared to be the only ones switched on from the start.
Murphy's comeback after that sickening collision with Young. Hardly noticed Murphy in the first half but he did some important things later in the game.
The Minson/Campbell combination. Not their greatest games but I like the potential of this combination, particularly the ability to give Will some respite when he's struggling.

Almost a banker were the umpires. We've had a good run the last couple of weeks.

A:
That first half where we were reactive and ball watching.
Stevens. Love his attack and I reckon he's going to be a valuable player for us but he needs to eliminate the clangers from his game. Great upside if he can.
Cross....apart from a couple of typical Crossy marks he just looked off the boil today and really struggled to impact the contest. Farewell game next week?

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 09:31 AM
B:
Dahlhaus and Picken who appeared to be the only ones switched on from the start.
Murphy's comeback after that sickening collision with Young. Hardly noticed Murphy in the first half but he did some important things later in the game.
The Minson/Campbell combination. Not their greatest games but I like the potential of this combination, particularly the ability to give Will some respite when he's struggling.

Almost a banker were the umpires. We've had a good run the last couple of weeks.

A:
That first half where we were reactive and ball watching.
Stevens. Love his attack and I reckon he's going to be a valuable player for us but he needs to eliminate the clangers from his game. Great upside if he can.
Cross....apart from a couple of typical Crossy marks he just looked off the boil today and really struggled to impact the contest. Farewell game next week?

We were also lucky to have Roughead released, I think it highlighted to me just how bloody buggered Will must be after a mammoth season. Griff is just as deserving, as is Libba, but if Will took out the B&F I'd be pretty happy.

Ozza
26-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Bankers:

Libba - brilliant. 14 clearances I think it was. And used the ball better/showed more poise than just about anyone.

Dahlhaus - great game from him. 14 contested possessions. 3 goals.

Wallis & Minson - both had a down first half - but responded with very good second halves. Made a bad day, a much better one.

Anchors:

Cross - the closest he got to getting a kick in the first half was when he fell over in the contest with Rich, and Brisbane scored a goal.

Kicking at goal - Gia, Grant, Dickson, Campbell, Roughead....costly misses. We dominated the second half more than Brisbane dominated the first half - bad execution cost us the game.

Stevens - had a poor game.

1eyedog
26-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Bankers

1. Minson - beaten early on but fought back to get the dogs moving - AA ruckman

2. Dahl - What a terrier.

3. Boyd - Never stops trying for the Red white and Blue - all guts.

Anchors

1. Stevens - I have my doubts on this bloke

2. Addison - ok, kicked two goals, but seriously I fail to see what more than half our supporters see in him.

3. All the players in the first half - they were flat as a tack.

Only played 30 games, he'll be a good long term option and will be a much better player in 2 years.

Greystache
26-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Only played 30 games, he'll be a good long term option and will be a much better player in 2 years.

I'm not so convinced. He's a bull at a gate and works hard but he has virtually no polish at all, he's going to need to improve significantly to remain in the team when we improve.

Eastdog
26-08-2013, 11:45 AM
Bankers

Griffen - strong 2nd half after a poor first half

Libba - a class act

Murphy - one veteran to hang on to

Anchors

First half performance - went back to old ways

Goal kicking

Ozza
26-08-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm not so convinced. He's a bull at a gate and works hard but he has virtually no polish at all, he's going to need to improve significantly to remain in the team when we improve.

I have a lot of faith in the ability of the coaches to improve his deficient areas. I still think Stevens has got a lot of good qualities, plenty to work with.

Time will tell of course.

Sedat
26-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Tend to agree. I missed yesterday's game but from what I can gather he was bloody awful with his disposal and decision-making, which has been something of a trait of his in the 2nd half of this season. The St Kilda game should be his benchmark, where he was dynamic, composed and regularly made good decisions and executed his skills with due care. I reckon he's got it in him but he does need to work very hard in the off-season on eradicating the poor decisions and rushed disposals that have enveloped his game in recent weeks.

Greystache
26-08-2013, 12:18 PM
I have a lot of faith in the ability of the coaches to improve his deficient areas. I still think Stevens has got a lot of good qualities, plenty to work with.

Time will tell of course.

My concern is decision making and ball handling are probably the two hardest things to improve, they're a kind of born with type of skill. One thing I am confident of is that he has an excellent attitude and will do everything within his power to improve, which is all you can ask of a player.

LostDoggy
26-08-2013, 12:41 PM
The break that Will got from Rough and Campbell spending time in the ruck was probably a game changer, he returned to the ruck refreshed and inspired dominating the latter half of the game after struggling in the first half.

bornadog
26-08-2013, 12:42 PM
The break that Will got from Rough and Campbell spending time in the ruck was probably a game changer, he returned to the ruck refreshed and inspired dominating the latter half of the game after struggling in the first half.

Lucky Merritt went down :eek:

comrade
26-08-2013, 02:06 PM
I see Koby Stevens as a Matty Boyd clone. Tough inside, can accumulate possession but struggles to execute under no pressure and can cough it up. Probably not as footy smart as Boydy at this stage but he knows where to run to win possession on the outside however his skill set just doesn't suit that style of game play.

I think Stevens can play a big role moving forward if he adjusts his approach and we get players around him. He shouldn't be the one accepting the ball on the spread. He should be using his inside skills to extract and shovel the ball to the likes of Griff, Libba, Macrae and Hrovat.

Greystache
26-08-2013, 02:32 PM
I see Koby Stevens as a Matty Boyd clone. Tough inside, can accumulate possession but struggles to execute under no pressure and can cough it up. Probably not as footy smart as Boydy at this stage but he knows where to run to win possession on the outside however his skill set just doesn't suit that style of game play.

I think Stevens can play a big role moving forward if he adjusts his approach and we get players around him. He shouldn't be the one accepting the ball on the spread. He should be using his inside skills to extract and shovel the ball to the likes of Griff, Libba, Macrae and Hrovat.

The difference I see between Boyd and Stevens is Boyd has always had very clean hands, what he decides to do with it once he gets it is another thing, but he almost never fumbles. Stevens on the other hand is a fumbler, I'm not sure he can be a gun inside ball winner when he doesn't have clean hands.

I see Wallis as more like Boyd, for his decision making and kicking limitations, he has elite hands in close and can win clearances because of it.

comrade
26-08-2013, 03:07 PM
The difference I see between Boyd and Stevens is Boyd has always had very clean hands, what he decides to do with it once he gets it is another thing, but he almost never fumbles. Stevens on the other hand is a fumbler, I'm not sure he can be a gun inside ball winner when he doesn't have clean hands.

I see Wallis as more like Boyd, for his decision making and kicking limitations, he has elite hands in close and can win clearances because of it.

Cross doesn't have great hands in close (hence why he used to start outside the square). Maybe he is a better comparison. Both a very good overhead for their size with Crossy being elite in that aspect in my opinion. Either way, Koby needs to play within his limitations just like Crossy always did and he needs support around him.

Agree with the Wallis/Boyd comparison.

Greystache
26-08-2013, 03:17 PM
Cross doesn't have great hands in close (hence why he used to start outside the square). Maybe he is a better comparison. Both a very good overhead for their size with Crossy being elite in that aspect in my opinion. Either way, Koby needs to play within his limitations just like Crossy always did and he needs support around him.

Agree with the Wallis/Boyd comparison.

Actually I see a bit of a comparison with Cross now that you mention it, both are also very courageous. Probably a good player for him to model himself on.

soupman
26-08-2013, 03:43 PM
I actually see Stevens as a midfield version of Mitch Hahn.

He is quite powerful and a bit of a pack buster, is regularly a marking target despite not being massive and his kicking is penetrating but a bit haphazard. I really like Stevens for the hardness and work ethic he brings to the side, he needs to improve the quality of his possessions though as everyone has obviously identified.

F'scary
26-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Stevens: he's shown enough to be retained for the next 2 years. We need the depth. I think the average number of players used per club is well over 30 each year for many years now. The list on the Club's site says 36 with one match to go, 25 of which have played 10 games or more. If he is out of form, magoos until he gets his mojo back. Not delisted.

Scorlibo
26-08-2013, 09:59 PM
Cross doesn't have great hands in close (hence why he used to start outside the square).

Depends what you define as 'in close'. If you're talking first hands on the ball at a stoppage then Crossy isn't the absolute best, but second hands at the stoppage he's as good as it gets. One of the most creative handballers I've seen.

Koby has nowhere near the footy smarts of Cross or Boyd. His strength is in his forward-running ability, his ability to run through gaps and break the lines. It didn't work on the weekend because he often fumbled in the tackle, but once he learns to get the hands free and know when he's not going to be able to break a tackle, he'll be a good player I feel. People probably forget that he's in the same cohort as Howard and Tutt - still very young.

Also needs to concentrate while kicking the football.

comrade
26-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Depends what you define as 'in close'. If you're talking first hands on the ball at a stoppage then Crossy isn't the absolute best,

I'm talking first hands.