PDA

View Full Version : Dogs to Farewell Crossy

SlimPickens
29-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Midfielder Daniel Cross’ 209 game career with the Western Bulldogs will be celebrated this Sunday as the courageous midfielder prepares to play his final game for the Club. After being selected at pick 56 in the 2000 National Draft, the 30-year-old enjoyed a distinguished and celebrated career at the Club, where he was the Charles Sutton Medallist in 2008. Renowned for his courage on the field – Cross has been awarded the Most Courageous Player a record three times.

Bulldogs Chief Executive Simon Garlick said that while Cross’ contract will not be renewed beyond this season – it did not take away from the outstanding contribution he has made over the past 13 years. “Daniel has added an enormous amount to this football Club since he arrived in 2000, and leaves a legacy of an ultra-professional, team-oriented player who consistently displayed great courage for his team,” Garlick said. “There is no question that this has been a difficult call to make given the calibre of person and footballer that we all know Daniel to be”. “We urge all of the Bulldog family to make sure they get to the match this Sunday to ensure Daniel is honoured appropriately for his lasting contribution to the red, white and blue”.

Thankful for his time at the Bulldogs but with an eye to the future, Cross has indicated that he will be seeking alternative opportunities to continue his playing career in the AFL at season’s end. “I love this club, its supporters and all the players I’ve played with, and totally understand its position with regards to its direction,” Cross said. “While I leave with a heavy heart, I sincerely thank the Club and its staff for giving me an opportunity to realise my dream of playing AFL football.” “I will always look back at my 13 years as a Bulldog fondly, and look forward to finishing on a high note with my teammates this Sunday,” Cross said. - See more at: http://m.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-29/dogs-to-farwell-cross#sthash.ZFEP2f1N.dpuf

SlimPickens
29-08-2013, 10:10 AM
Right move by the footy club. Thanks for everything Daniel, the most courageous player I have ever seen.

Gave his everything for our footy club.

G-Mo77
29-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Expected but always hurts to see a club great finish up. I better wear sun glasses Sunday.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 10:19 AM
Daniel should be the example in AFL textbooks / training videos when showing courage and endeavour for the ball.

turtle
29-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Thank You Crossy!
You have been a star. A perfect example of someone who got every last ounce out of his abilities. Courage defined.
I hope he finds a new home (although the selfish part of me wants him to captain Footscray next year).
I will shed more than a few tears on Sunday.

Mofra
29-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Very few Bulldog players who will be remembered with as much respect as Crossy.

Stick him in the FP for half a quarter and feed him a couple

whythelongface
29-08-2013, 10:44 AM
A loyal and great servant for the club. Thank you Crossy. Good luck with your future playing career wherever that may be.

The Underdog
29-08-2013, 11:13 AM
When they talk about players who did everything they possibly could to play AFL football, he'll be the pin-up boy. Absolute respect for Crossy. I'm conflicted in that I hope for him that he get's a couple more years somewhere but I'd hate to see him in another jumper.

Interesting that there's no announcement on Gia.

Murphy'sLore
29-08-2013, 11:16 AM
Just heard on SEN the Gia decision will be in the next couple of weeks. Really torn about whether he should go round again!

Jeanette54
29-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I deplore the modern game. We, as a club, should be able to show Crossy the courtesy of being allowed to complete his time as a one club player; until on-field form dictates otherwise. Its poor payback for the loyalty and service which Daniel has given this club.

And I thoroughly agree with Turtle, what a great captain of Footscray he would be.

Good luck Daniel, if the team follow the personal example of endeavour you have set over the years then you are sure to go out as a member of a winning team.

comrade
29-08-2013, 11:44 AM
Ouch, this one hurts.

Thanks for everything, Crossy. It was an privilege watching you go to work each week.

KT31
29-08-2013, 11:59 AM
Thank you for everything Crossy, one of the most courageous to wear the Doggie jumper.
Both the club and Cross should take pats on the back for the way this has been handled, Class with a capital C.

Daughter of the West
29-08-2013, 12:00 PM
I thank you Crossy wholeheartedly for everything that you have given the Bulldogs over your career to date. It's really sad to see you go.

bornadog
29-08-2013, 12:10 PM
This really hurts but is the right decision with the position we find ourselves in ie development stage. be great for Cross if he could play for GWs and teach the young guys how to play the real hard nut role.

Good Luck Cross.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 12:34 PM
I suspected this would happen but nevertheless it's still sad. Cross as a FFC player has done everything right, always - even his official farewell comments are top class. Wouldn't have expected anything less. I hope Daniel makes a successful move to another club, any of which would be lucky to have him.

Maddog37
29-08-2013, 12:41 PM
I always find the stars finishing up fairly unemotional. It's the meat and potatoes players leaving that really make me feel upset. You can identify with them a little easier and see their anguish when a more talented player gets the better of them. Crossy would just grit his teeth and go harder next time and harder again the time after that.

A little part of the clubs soul will be finishing up on Saturday and I hope the younger players understand their obligation to continue Crossys legacy.

Lastly I would wish him well in his future endeavours but it will cut deep to see such a true red white and blue champion in another clubs colours. Don't do it Crossy!

Bulldog4life
29-08-2013, 12:44 PM
Well done Crossy on a memorable career with the doggies. Such guts and determination.I was lucky enough to be at the GM when Crossy received his life membership. His speech was heart warming and I remember my eyes welling up when Daniel said how much he loved the Club and the supporters. I will never forget that night.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 01:43 PM
Dougie went through the same problem, and back then I had two allegiances for the year he played with the Lions.

May have to secretly follow Crossy as a second team next year as well.

Webby
29-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Class act. If he doesn't find another club at AFL level, I hope to see him running around with our VFL side at WO next year.

Although I think GWS would be mad not to nab him.

Mantis
29-08-2013, 01:56 PM
Has been a great warrior who got the very best out of himself.

I know its a business and all that and we are moving in differing directions, but it doesn't sit well with me that such a loyal servant has been shown the door... Not sure how you get around it, but the feelings remain.

A Ford
29-08-2013, 02:35 PM
I think it's the right decision but I don't understand why we would sign Goodes or Lower for next year.

bornadog
29-08-2013, 02:38 PM
eNqCWUQ8fxM

Plus best of Cross here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-08-29/best-of-cross)

BornInDroopSt'54
29-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Thank you Daniel. You are an inspiration. I hope you go to GWS because you will be needed and appreciated. PLease return to the Dogs and pass on your culture to the to this young developing side.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 04:56 PM
What a fantastic servant you have been for us Crossy, like oters The selfish side of me does not want you playing for another club. You have earned the right to do whatever you decide and no one will begrudge your decision. A true gentleman to boot.

angelopetraglia
29-08-2013, 07:04 PM
Absolute respect for Crossy. One of my all time favourite Bulldogs for the way he conducted himself and his unquestionable courage and work ethic. He absolutely got the most out of his talent.

It will be very sad to see him pull on another club's colours but I do believe that the club has made the right call on this one. We have so many other players who can player a similar role but are much younger and have larger upsides.

We can't have all our senior players leaving at the same time. We need to spread the load over the next few years. I do hope that Gia goes around again.

craigsahibee
29-08-2013, 07:09 PM
Sheer class from Crossy.
Whilst it's sad to see him go, I applaud the club for making the decision. We can not continue to be a benevolent society that allows our champions to stay on the list because they are good blokes.
I hold nothing against Daniel if he decides to play on and is taken by another club, but as soon as he hangs up the boots, we must do everything we can to get him back to Whitten Oval in a coaching role.
Congratulations Daniel and Thank You on behalf of all of us.

GVGjr
29-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I think it's the right decision but I don't understand why we would sign Goodes or Lower for next year.

12 months back, Cross looked like being a spent force and we had a playing list crying out for some experience and depth.

I understand why we wanted them

strebla
29-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Thanks Crossy you will always be a red white and blue star good luck mate .

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 07:50 PM
eNqCWUQ8fxM

Plus best of Cross here (http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-08-29/best-of-cross)

Thanks Bornadog, Daniel is the hardest I have seen and that video will be a reminder for me for a long time.

Sunday will be a sad day, we will miss him dearly.

Remi Moses
29-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Tough decision but the right one.

anfo27
29-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you Daniel for giving our supporters so much pleasure over the years. Players like Cross are loved by all supporters because he gave us everything he had each & every time he wore our colours. Thats all supporters want & he gave us that for all his 209 games & Sunday won't be any different.

Always a sad day when a player of Daniels ilk leaves the club. A player i will always respect & admire & remember as a true warrior.

Would have rather hang on to Daniel for another year instead of Boyd. Class act how he responded to getting dropped, another example of what a true professional Daniel was. Will be missed.

AndrewP6
29-08-2013, 10:09 PM

I know its a business and all that and we are moving in differing directions, but it doesn't sit well with me that such a loyal servant has been shown the door... Not sure how you get around it, but the feelings remain.

I'm with you on this one. Farewell Crossy, a terrific clubman, tough as they come, and a nice fella as well. I wish him all the best, and I hope he's back at WO before too long.

Jeanette54
30-08-2013, 01:50 PM

Totally agree.

Surely a way must be found by the AFL which would allow players of Daniel's high standing at their individual clubs to finish their careers as a one club player. Whether its as veterans (exempt from the salary cap or whatever) or by being members of the "200 club" or some special consideration.

Not only does this sort of thing rob us the spectators of seeing their careers play out with their respective clubs; but just think of what all the players in Daniel's position must be going through.

Come on AFL, there must be a way.

EasternWest
30-08-2013, 01:59 PM
I'm with you on this one. Farewell Crossy, a terrific clubman, tough as they come, and a nice fella as well. I wish him all the best, and I hope he's back at WO before too long.

I mostly agree.

Time just moves on, and our club has to move with it. I'm actually really sad about Daniel leaving, but I'd be really happy to see him playing somewhere like GWS, even though it would hurt.

It doesn't matter where he ends up. He'll always be a Bulldogs champion, and rightly so.

Thanks for your service Daniel. You've been a warrior for our club and one of the most idiotically brave guys to wear our top, and I've loved watching you play. I'll love watching you play next year too.

w3design
31-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Over the decades that I have followed the Dogs it has been tough to see many champions finish up their careers. But Sunday for me will be the toughest of all.
Daniel you have been a true club hero and inspiration. If they don't give you the option of being the new Footscray's inaugural captain, I as a long time supporter and member will be seriously disappointed in the club and its management.
Well done on a career you can be truly proud of, and thank you for both the courage you always showed, and your dedication to our club and your teammates.
Good luck to you in whatever direction your life takes you, and may you always be a true Son of the Scray.

The Underdog
31-08-2013, 07:39 PM
What I find interesting in all of this is the assumption that if he doesn't get a place with another club, that Crossy is interested in playing at VFL level.

LostDoggy
31-08-2013, 09:02 PM
What I find interesting in all of this is the assumption that if he doesn't get a place with another club, that Crossy is interested in playing at VFL level.

Well, it's that or local leagues isn't it? He doesn't strike me as the never-play-again type.

Mitcha
31-08-2013, 09:52 PM
Over the decades that I have followed the Dogs it has been tough to see many champions finish up their careers. But Sunday for me will be the toughest of all.
Daniel you have been a true club hero and inspiration. If they don't give you the option of being the new Footscray's inaugural captain, I as a long time supporter and member will be seriously disappointed in the club and its management.
Well done on a career you can be truly proud of, and thank you for both the courage you always showed, and your dedication to our club and your teammates.
Good luck to you in whatever direction your life takes you, and may you always be a true Son of the Scray.
Crossy has already stated he wants to play on at AFL level, How can you have a go at "the club and it's management" if he believes he still has ambitions of continuing at the elite level?

w3design
31-08-2013, 10:50 PM
Crossy has already stated he wants to play on at AFL level, How can you have a go at "the club and it's management" if he believes he still has ambitions of continuing at the elite level?

The key to what I said was ...offer him the option. If he chooses to play elsewhere rather than take up that option is entirely his decision. Or should be. If he is offered and prefers to play in another guernsey, so be it. But for mine the least the club owes him is the choice.

Remi Moses
31-08-2013, 10:59 PM
The key to what I said was ...offer him the option. If he chooses to play elsewhere rather than take up that option is entirely his decision. Or should be. If he is offered and prefers to play in another guernsey, so be it. But for mine the least the club owes him is the choice.

I'd hazard to guess it may have been offered , but obviously he thinks he has a year or two to give .

Eastdog
01-09-2013, 12:13 AM
Thank you Daniel for all you have done for our club. Good luck with whatever happens next and hope to see you back at the club soon.

jeemak
01-09-2013, 12:51 AM

Why is he the best option to captain the VFL side?

I've been very critical of Cross from the perspective that I've also questioned his output versus our need to develop our midfield. Some probably have taken that as me not liking him as a player, or that I don't understand he has positive attributes.

A couple of things spring to mind when I think about Daniel Cross.

- I've never seen a midfielder recklessly back into packs with the flight of a quick, high, dinky, lobbed or shanked kick like Cross has done so frequently, and with such judgement or contested marking numbers

- Not many midfielders in the history of the game have set a competition standard of flying for the ball face first whether it be on the ground or at head height to the point where rules are changed to protect players knees. The AFL made the head sacrosanct because of players emulating the way Daniel Cross attacked the ball, and made sliding into legs illegal as a result of that trend

- I've only seen one other player who played for us who's better at finding the ball in a tough contested situation and dishing it off to a team mate with creative hands. That player won 7 B&F's

Congratulations on an excellent contribution to our club Daniel, and a fantastic AFL career. Good luck in your next football phase.

I'm mortified that I'm taking clients to the G on Sunday, and not going to the game to send you off.

Murphy'sLore
02-09-2013, 10:23 AM
I didn't expect to get so emotional yesterday watching Cross's send-off. He's never even been a particular favourite of mine, but cheering him off and feeling the waves of love pouring from the crowd, I had tears running down my face. In so many ways, Daniel Cross has personified the soul of this club - not flashy, not even all that talented, but brave and decent and never giving up.

First time I've ever cried at the football (but I wasn't around in 97 :o)

Let's not say goodbye, Crossy, make it au revoir.

Ghost Dog
02-09-2013, 11:36 AM
Could have easily become an SAS soldier. Elite.
Was amazed at his ability to dive head first into a raging pack.

always right
02-09-2013, 02:53 PM
I didn't expect to get so emotional yesterday watching Cross's send-off. He's never even been a particular favourite of mine, but cheering him off and feeling the waves of love pouring from the crowd, I had tears running down my face. In so many ways, Daniel Cross has personified the soul of this club - not flashy, not even all that talented, but brave and decent and never giving up.

First time I've ever cried at the football (but I wasn't around in 97 :o)

Let's not say goodbye, Crossy, make it au revoir.

or "a bientot":)

LostDoggy
02-09-2013, 07:42 PM
Could have easily become an SAS soldier. Elite.
Was amazed at his ability to dive head first into a raging pack.

Too reckless. And would show a lot of blokes up.

1eyedog
03-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Bye Crossy. Thanks for making me secure in the fact that we had a Scott West replacement and for reminding me that determination gets you everywhere.