PDA

View Full Version : Farewell Crossy and good luck

always right
29-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I know there is another thread that covers Gia and Crossy potentially ending their careers with the dogs but I think Crossy deserves his own thread given what he has given the club over the years.

Even though I expected his contract would not be renewed it still comes as a bit of a shock to see this announcement. I reckon I'll be a bit emotional on Sunday saying farewell to a bloke who has been an absolute warrior for our club.

I declared early on in Crossy's time at the bulldogs that "he would never make it"....and he's made me eat my words ever since to the point he probably became my favourite player. No-one has shown more courage on so many occasions as Crossy. No-one has played a team role any better than Crossy. No-one has managed to get the most out of their ability as much as Crossy.

It's going to be hard watching him play against us next year if another club picks him up but I'll be barracking for two parties on the day it happens....the dogs and Crossy. We've had very poor turnouts at games this year but I hope Crossy receives the respect he so richly deserves and sees every dog supporter cheering him on at Etihad on Sunday and give him a fitting farewell. Thanks for everything Crossy.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-29/dogs-to-farwell-cross

ratsmac
29-08-2013, 11:24 AM
I'm Shattered. I understand that we need to move him on but it still hurts seeing such a loyal champion leaving. I hope he gets picked up at another club even though I'll hate watching him compete against us.

Thanks for the memories Crossy.

Cyberdoggie
29-08-2013, 11:25 AM
Will be a good send off for a legend of the club I hope.

No announcement on Gia, does that mean he's playing on?

Murphy'sLore
29-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Whatever other jumper he might wear in the future, Crossy's heart will always be red, white and blue. Good luck, lots of love, and you'll always be welcome back at the Kennel.

always right
29-08-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm Shattered. I understand that we need to move him on but it still hurts seeing such a loyal champion leaving. I hope he gets picked up at another club even though I'll hate watching him compete against us.

Thanks for the memories Crossy.

I think this will be the most emotional send-off since Chris Grant. Even more emotional than Brad Johnson's farewell which says something about the type of player and person Crossy is. I'm tearing up as I type:o

Bulldog4life
29-08-2013, 01:00 PM
I know there is another thread that covers Gia and Crossy potentially ending their careers with the dogs but I think Crossy deserves his own thread given what he has given the club over the years.

Even though I expected his contract would not be renewed it still comes as a bit of a shock to see this announcement. I reckon I'll be a bit emotional on Sunday saying farewell to a bloke who has been an absolute warrior for our club.

I declared early on in Crossy's time at the bulldogs that "he would never make it"....and he's made me eat my words ever since to the point he probably became my favourite player. No-one has shown more courage on so many occasions as Crossy. No-one has played a team role any better than Crossy. No-one has managed to get the most out of their ability as much as Crossy.

It's going to be hard watching him play against us next year if another club picks him up but I'll be barracking for two parties on the day it happens....the dogs and Crossy. We've had very poor turnouts at games this year but I hope Crossy receives the respect he so richly deserves and sees every dog supporter cheering him on at Etihad on Sunday and give him a fitting farewell. Thanks for everything Crossy.

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2013-08-29/dogs-to-farwell-cross

So you are not Always Right.:D

always right
29-08-2013, 01:25 PM
So you are not Always Right.:D

That was pre-Woof;)

Eastdog
29-08-2013, 01:40 PM
Thank you Daniel. You are a Bulldog through and through and will be missed. Good luck to you for whatever you do next.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Even if/when he plays us, I'm going to cheer his every possession. Absolutely love him to death, shattered to see him go but I totally support the club's logic.

A sad though necessary day.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Has there been a more respected player at the club?
They say he drinks nothing but water and only eats lean meat to make sure he's in perfect condition for playing football. One of the great people to have played at the club.
Farewell Crossy, good luck in your future endeavours.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 01:52 PM
Very sad news, one of my favourite players. Hope he comes back to the dogs in a role after retirement. He bleeds red white and blue

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 01:53 PM
Guys like this just don't come along every day. Here's an old article that pretty much sums the man up:

Dogs rescue woman (http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/dog-tells-of-harbour-rescue/story-e6frf7kx-1111114573794)

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 02:26 PM
I remember someone saying on here last christmas morning they saw Crossy out running around some park. Sums him up really.

Does anyone think he was told prior to last weeks game? He seemed really flat last week, wasn't putting in he's usual 110% to every contest, which is never the case with him.
Although the whole team was flat for the first half, so maybe it was just that.

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 03:07 PM
What a sad day Sunday will be. All good things must come to an end and saying goodbye to Crossy will be difficult. He has inspired a whole generation of doggies - on and off the field - and he will be sorely missed. I have no doubt that he goes with the good blessings of not only everyone associated with the club but all footy fans, no matter their allegiance. Whatever he does from here I know he will give it 100%.

bornadog
29-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Crossy leaves training:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/BSzVz-mIYAA32PU2_zpsaa8fade6.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/BSzVz-mIYAA32PU2_zpsaa8fade6.jpg.html)

Scorlibo
29-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Crossy leaves training:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa198/mmsalih/BSzVz-mIYAA32PU2_zpsaa8fade6.jpg (http://s202.photobucket.com/user/mmsalih/media/BSzVz-mIYAA32PU2_zpsaa8fade6.jpg.html)

I get shivers just looking at that picture. Thanks BAD.

comrade
29-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Massive respect from the playing group. Who will take his lead as the fanatical training beast that pushes everyone?

FrediKanoute
29-08-2013, 04:42 PM
Good luck Crossy. Have been an outstanding member of the Bulldogs. Often underrated, but never under appreciated. Thanks for the memories.

always right
29-08-2013, 04:44 PM
Hope EVERYONE intends on turning up Sunday to give Crossy the send-off he so richly deserves.

bornadog
29-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Hope EVERYONE intends on turning up Sunday to give Crossy the send-off he so richly deserves.

yes will be there as usual

Mantis
29-08-2013, 04:51 PM

I would love to, but I will be in a plane on my way to Wagga *!*!*!*!ing Wagga... Great timing hey!

comrade
29-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Father's Day won't help some families either.

I'm trying to argue that as it's a day to celebrate me, I can do what I want.

always right
29-08-2013, 05:35 PM
We'll have a big contingent heading to Etihad...immediate family, children, brother, nieces, sister, parents and friends. Could be as many as 15. What a great Fathers Day celebrating Crossy!

westdog54
29-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Fathers Day for me will be taking my kids to the footy for the first time.

Eastdog
29-08-2013, 06:01 PM

Father's Day commitments but hopefully will get to the match.

always right
29-08-2013, 06:18 PM

You need to get your priorities right:D

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 06:27 PM

Invited my old man to come down to the match to spend Fathers' Day with his sons ;)

Bulldog4life
29-08-2013, 06:37 PM

It's Bring A Friend this week so why don't you bring your dad Eastdog. He'll get in for free.

craigsahibee
29-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Fathers Day occurs every year but there is only one Daniel Cross.

There is 24 hours in a Fathers Day. Plenty of time to fit in a game of footy.

GVGjr
29-08-2013, 07:19 PM
I would love to, but I will be in a plane on my way to Wagga *!*!*!*!ing Wagga... Great timing hey!

What about the open training session on Saturday? Not the same but better than nothing

SonofScray
29-08-2013, 07:21 PM
We simply must get around this bloke. He has given so much of himself to the cause and lived the identity of the Club in his actions on and off the field. Dogged persistence, unconditionally courageous, honest and elite within his skill set.

For mine, Cross leaves this Club as one of the greats. Might seem like hyperbole given the company that puts him in but I loved the way he plays the game and he essentially got better every year he stepped out in RW&B. Never shirked his duties or a contest. Not once.

I will probably be a bit emotional on Sunday. Only Libba's farewell generated a similar response.

DOG GOD
29-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Great career with the dogs and a massive heart...will be sorely missed, but I would love to see him be a 1 club player. He deserves to be a bulldog through and through..I guess we will find out.

Whichever way it goes, thanks for the bulldog memories Daniel :)

josie
29-08-2013, 08:40 PM
Massive respect from the playing group. Who will take his lead as the fanatical training beast that pushes everyone?

Young Clay Smith I think is from what I've seen written on WOOF almost as fanatical as Crossy. A long way to go in his career to match Crossy's living legend status amongst the Dog's Supporters though.

Very Best Wishes Crossy, I have loved watching you play. I have a mad & lovely friend - nickname AP who is also a passionate Dog's member and you are her faviourite player. She will miss yelling out "I love you Crossy" every time you do all those 1 percenters and I'll miss hearing it too. Goodness knows what will happen when you play for another Club. In 2014 if you see a Dogs Supporter yelling " I love you Crossy" it is probably AP.

soupman
29-08-2013, 08:45 PM
We'll have a big contingent heading to Etihad...immediate family, children, brother, nieces, sister, parents and friends. Could be as many as 15. What a great Fathers Day celebrating Crossy!

I think I can beat that. Planning for at least 16;)

The bulldog tragician
29-08-2013, 09:46 PM
I wrote this blog post on Daniel Cross, an all time favorite of mine, much earlier this year. He is an underrated Bulldog great. Thank you Crossy. Why do these champs ever have to leave?

http://www.bulldogtragician.com/1/post/2013/05/on-daniel-cross-and-extraordinary-courage.html

LostDoggy
29-08-2013, 10:06 PM
Thanks bulldog tragician. This part:

Then there was the littlest Bulldog of all, Tony Liberatore, who usually ended a game bandaged and bloodied and had no right whatsoever to play footy, except for the size of his heart and his unquenchable self belief.

Daniel Cross - the unobtrusive footballer who probably wouldn't even be recognised by opposition fans - is that kind of player too.

Had me fighting back tears because its just so spot on the money. As I told my girls tonight when preparing them for an emotional Dad on Sunday, there is no shame at all in shedding one for Crossy on Sunday.

The Adelaide Connection
29-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I feel as gutted as the day that we found out that Scott West would not get to go around again. Would have loved him to get another year, understand the decision and (as suggested by Born a Scragger I think) I may have to follow a second AFL team next year- the one where he ends up.

westbulldog
30-08-2013, 12:02 AM
Daniel Cross has etched in the minds of Bulldog supporters his qualities of unbounded courage, commitment, professionalism and team spirit. He deserves a great farewell in his last game for the Bulldogs and he takes with him every good wish for his future.

Scorlibo
30-08-2013, 12:12 AM

Great timing because you'll be passing over Albury - Crossy's junior stomping ground!

Ozza
30-08-2013, 12:24 PM
I remember someone saying on here last christmas morning they saw Crossy out running around some park. Sums him up really.
Does anyone think he was told prior to last weeks game? He seemed really flat last week, wasn't putting in he's usual 110% to every contest, which is never the case with him.
Although the whole team was flat for the first half, so maybe it was just that.

Was actually Matty Boyd that was seen....but I'm sure Crossy would have been having a run as well!

Ozza
30-08-2013, 12:26 PM

Spot on Comrade!....fathers day for me is; with the kids in the morning, and from Lunchtime onwards its out for a steak, a few beers and into Etihad.

Ozza
30-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Like some others - on the back of his early few games - it was amazing to see what Cross became as a player.

Thought the coach summed it up pretty well in yesterday's press conference when he said (along the lines of) 'If he was your son, you'd be pretty proud of the person you'd raised' .

A tremendous example to his team mates, and would be a great asset to a GWS/Gold Coast/Melbourne for a year to show them how to be a professional footballer.

I'm Not Bitter Anymore!
30-08-2013, 04:41 PM
There won't be a dry eye in the house on Sunday - much love for Crossy

bornadog
30-08-2013, 05:04 PM
There won't be a dry eye in the house on Sunday - much love for Crossy

What a day it will be, with Gia playing his 250th and Dahl his 50th and goodbye Crossy.

comrade
30-08-2013, 05:05 PM
What a day it will be, with Gia playing his 250th and Dahl his 50th and goodbye Crossy.

I hope the Demons bring some lube :D

Happy Days
30-08-2013, 07:37 PM
I hope the Demons bring some lube :D

We have the potential to go full North Melbourne on them, without the Kool-Aid obviously.

F'scary
31-08-2013, 04:29 PM
Cross: a star in our best sides for the last 10 years.

bornadog
02-09-2013, 02:46 PM
H6JTn0m6LOY&feature=share&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA

Daughter of the West
02-09-2013, 03:23 PM
H6JTn0m6LOY&feature=share&list=UUCYdpsLzNPQpmOdZt_a7DNA

Argh! Made me tear up all over again :(

bornadog
02-09-2013, 04:57 PM
Argh! Made me tear up all over again :(

The crowd gave him such a great farewell, it was a really moving moment.

G-Mo77
06-09-2013, 04:27 PM
http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/video/2013-09-06/cross-says-goodbye-sutton-medal

B+F Speech from Crossy.

josie
07-09-2013, 03:13 AM
Geez - I'm shedding a tear after viewing Cross's speech and the B&F. He really does bleed red, white & blue. I hope another club takes him in with a damn good pay cheque too. Also hope little Crossy's son ends up playing for us & that he wears the No 4 again on his back.

bulldogtragic
12-09-2013, 10:54 PM
The Age reporting our Crossy, could be the Demons Crossy including a role in sports science.

Good luck Dan. Maybe you could turn the joint around on your own!

comrade
12-09-2013, 11:17 PM
I wish Crossy the absolute best but from a selfish perspective, I don't want him going to Melbourne. I'd prefer their players not have the benefit of learning from the most professional footballer in the league.

G-Mo77
13-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Here is the article.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dees-look-to-bulldogs-veteran-20130912-2tnmc.html

Very happy for him if he finds a home there. He'll have a very good role there and they could really use a player of Cross' calibre to guide and push the kids they have coming through.

My brother who's a Melbourne supporters wrote an email to his club the day after the last game about getting Cross to Melbourne for a year or two. He'll be wrapped if they get him.

w3design
13-09-2013, 12:14 PM
facebook rumor has Crossy signed 2-year with Dees today. :)

Eastdog
13-09-2013, 12:50 PM
facebook rumor has Crossy signed 2-year with Dees today. :)

Think its still just speculation.

Remi Moses
19-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Rumour circulating he was at Visy Park yesterday!
Please Crossy say it ain't so

dog town
19-09-2013, 08:45 AM
As soon as Cross was leaving us I thought Collingwood was a chance. Buckley loves him. Rated him one of the best players he played on. If Bucks is serious about changing the culture at the pies then someone like Cross would only help. Might be nothing in it but Bucks definitely loves Crossy.

Scraggers
06-10-2013, 07:46 PM
Just read the list of retiring and delisted players on the AFL website ... next to Crossy's name it says he has retired ? I thought he was keen to play on?? do they know something we don't ??

LostDoggy
06-10-2013, 08:53 PM
Just read the list of retiring and delisted players on the AFL website ... next to Crossy's name it says he has retired ? I thought he was keen to play on?? do they know something we don't ??

Been like that for weeks Scraggers.

Scraggers
06-10-2013, 10:29 PM
Been like that for weeks Scraggers.

So he has retired ??

GVGjr
06-10-2013, 10:34 PM
So he has retired ??

No, likely to play for Melbourne and then transition to a coaching role.

Scraggers
06-10-2013, 11:58 PM
No, likely to play for Melbourne and then transition to a coaching role.

Which is what was speculated before ... therefore he is not retired, but delisted. I know this may come as a surprise to some, but the AFL website got it wrong ... again.

bulldogtragic
21-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Will be at Melbourne if he passes a medical this week.

Cross, Vince, Dom, Viv, pick 9 and 22. They're doing well so far this period.

Pickenitup
21-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Well Done Daniel All the best Was Lucky enough to spend a Couple Of Hours With Crossy recently the guy is all class and his love of Bulldogs is still very evident.

G-Mo77
21-10-2013, 08:00 PM
If he passes a medical? Why even bother with that?

Crossy will run rings around everyone there.

always right
21-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Just heard him on 3AW when he once again expressed his love for the bulldogs. Next year I'll be hoping we thrash Melbourne and Crossy is BOG.

Eastdog
21-10-2013, 08:25 PM
Just heard him on 3AW when he once again expressed his love for the bulldogs. Next year I'll be hoping we thrash Melbourne and Crossy is BOG.

Hopefully AR we can beat them more comfortably in 2014 because in that last round match we only played one quarter really and while still we won it certainly wasnt our best win. We scared Hawthorn, Sydney and Essendon all quality sides this season so on that we should of beaten Melbourne comfortably in the last round.

Eastdog
21-10-2013, 08:36 PM
Well Done Daniel All the best Was Lucky enough to spend a Couple Of Hours With Crossy recently the guy is all class and his love of Bulldogs is still very evident.

Where did you meet him.

LostDoggy
21-10-2013, 09:28 PM
I'm rapt for Crossy, but upset that I'll have to attend a few Melbourne games.

F'scary
21-10-2013, 09:57 PM
Spoke with a very connected Melbourne member the other day, he was enthusiastic about Cross and said MFC would be looking to use him this year to set a standard for the young players and then move him into an assistant coaching role in 2015.

I told him that we should have retained him for one more year. After all, when we started winning games in the last 3rd of the season, who was one of the inclusions?

bulldogtragic
21-10-2013, 09:59 PM
Spoke with a very connected Melbourne member the other day, he was enthusiastic about Cross and said MFC would be looking to use him this year to set a standard for the young players and then move him into an assistant coaching role in 2015.

I told him that we should have retained him for one more year. After all, when we started winning games in the last 3rd of the season, who was one of the inclusions?
Jarrad Grant :)

F'scary
21-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Jarrad Grant :)

Yes, he was another one of the inclusions.

LostDoggy
21-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Yes, he was another one of the inclusions.
Lol, can hear the deflation from here.:D

Remi Moses
22-10-2013, 02:50 AM

So we'd have about 4 or 5 retire at once?
Good luck to Daniel, and as he put it so succinctly that the club is always bigger than the individual.

Eastdog
22-10-2013, 03:15 AM
So we'd have about 4 or 5 retire at once?
Good luck to Daniel, and as he put it so succinctly that the club is always bigger than the individual.

While retiring 4 or 5 veterans sounds good in that we give new players a chance it is very important still to not to retire all veterans at once. We need a balance of experience and youth. Too much experience and youth is not the best thing.

Twodogs
22-10-2013, 10:54 AM
Good luck to Crossy at the Dees.

w3design
22-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Come back home to the Dogs in some capacity once you complete your stint at the Demons Daniel.
In the mean time, good luck to a true Dogs hero.

KT31
22-10-2013, 11:10 AM
Good luck to Crossy at the Dee's.

Murphy'sLore
22-10-2013, 11:45 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again, they are bloody lucky to get him. He will improve that club just by walking in the door.

LostDoggy
22-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Best of luck Crossy. Can see him becoming a fan favourite at Melbourne for the same reasons we've loved him all these years. Almost glad another set of supporters will get to appreciate the way this bloke goes about it. Bet some of our boys aren't looking forward to being on the receiving end of a Crossy spear tackle!

LostDoggy
23-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Good luck Crossy. Will be greatly missed

Remi Moses
23-10-2013, 05:29 PM
Nearly drove off the road when I misheard he was going to Carlton

BornInDroopSt'54
23-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Nearly drove off the road when I misheard he was going to Carlton

That would have been a double tragedy. What a way to go for you and Crossy!

Nuggety Back Pocket
23-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Great to see Crossy get another opportunity. You wouldn't get a better club man and he will be sorely missed. Cross will be good for the Dees with his never say die spirit being such an important factor in a Club that has been going no where through a lack of spirit.

LostDoggy
01-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Officially a Demon. Genuinely stoked for him but geez it breaks my heart seeing him in anything other than a Dogs jumper.

The Bulldogs Bite
01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Officially a Demon. Genuinely stoked for him but geez it breaks my heart seeing him in anything other than a Dogs jumper.

It looks strange seeing him interviewed as a Demon.

He looks a little uncomfortable in it too, but I am sure he'll adjust once the training and footy begins. Good luck to him.

jeemak
02-11-2013, 02:25 AM
It looks strange seeing him interviewed as a Demon.

He looks a little uncomfortable in it too, but I am sure he'll adjust once the training and footy begins. Good luck to him.

Unfortunately the work he puts in to this preseason and possibly the next if he goes around again will go mostly unnoticed in terms of his overall career.

It's great that's the case from the perspective he's always going to be remembered as a Bulldog, but it's a shame on the other hand because he'll put just as much into the last one or two season of his career as he did in the first few years of it with us.

Good luck to him.

LostDoggy
04-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Great to see Crossy get another opportunity. You wouldn't get a better club man and he will be sorely missed. Cross will be good for the Dees with his never say die spirit being such an important factor in a Club that has been going no where through a lack of spirit.

Screw Roos… if the Dees turn it around I'm placing the credit directly at Cross's feet.